The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Notices

Old 03-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Senhor Member

I just looked up Threnody and I guess she just wears sparkly pauldrons... which is fine... I guess..
Old 03-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Hullo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
Cyclops' whole arc from Messiah Complex up to right before Secret Wars is one of my favourite long-term muli-title character evolutions. It's one of the biggest reasons that I find Bendis' failure to stick the landing on his books so frustrating.
+1
Old 03-07-2018, 05:42 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
oh man though Roger Cruz is an even worse penciller than I had remembered, and I remembered him being really fucking awful. (he was early internet famous at one point when he threw together an entire fill-in issue of I think it was Wolverine out of Jim Lee swipes.) by X-Man he's doing this godawful imitation Joe Mad/Humberto Ramos act.
I don't know this dude at all, and he looks pretty bad, but in his defense Marvel is infamous for instructing new artists to swipe from their more established artists (for a much lower page rate). It's "house style" where "house" is originally defined as "Jack Kirby", then "John Romita", etc. etc. I have an appreciation for Erik Larsen but I will always think of him as a Todd McFarlane fill-in.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:09 AM
World of Darkness Returns

X-Man was pretty cool in the Age of Apocalypse (to me, as a 12 year old), but everything went to shit once he hit the 616.

Speaking of, AOA Sabertooth is still my favorite version of the character.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:19 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

X-Man is cool because he's an X-Men character named X-Man.

That's a beautiful kind of lack of creativity that took 20 years worth of published stories to pull-off.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:10 PM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Later on they did that Counter-X thing and Nate was totally rebooted into an amalgam of a bunch of shit Warren Ellis had read articles about but I forget exactly what came of it in the end.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Senhor Member

I remember he died at the end of the series and became one with all of us (dunno if Ellis was writing at that point, but it was close to the end) and I was like, “no! not x-man, the classic and beloved character!” He stayed dead for like 8 years. Congrats N8.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:36 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
I remember he died at the end of the series and became one with all of us (dunno if Ellis was writing at that point, but it was close to the end) and I was like, “no! not x-man, the classic and beloved character!” He stayed dead for like 8 years. Congrats N8.
I can't tell that it's impressive he stayed dead for so long or if it's surprising that someone felt the need to bring him back.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:50 AM

For some reason (I'm assuming because it says "New Mutants" and not "X-Men" on the cover) Ilyana is back to the yellow costume and small soulsword in the new New Mutants book instead of her usual metal armor / buster sword look of the last decade.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:37 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

X-Men Dark Phoenix movie delayed into Feb 2019, New Mutants movie delayed for a second time into August 2019.

Hmmm.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:55 AM

Retooling for MCU integration?
Old 03-27-2018, 12:04 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I feel like the simplest explanation would be, "Oops, these movies are bad, can we fix them?"

But . . . that's never stopped them before. So, who knows what the deal is.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:45 PM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

The Disney/Fox deal still isn't finished yet.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
The Disney/Fox deal still isn't finished yet.
Wishful thinking on the Fox end that they'll get MCU integration?
Old 03-27-2018, 03:06 PM
so exciting!

the official word (or the closest thing we've got) is that they're doing reshoots but having a hard time getting dark phoenix's cast's schedules to sync up. new mutants, on the other hand, apparently is being almost entirely reshot so they can have multiple new, uh, mutants in the film

maybe with the success of black panther they realized they could actually cast black actors for cecillia and sunspot
Old 03-27-2018, 04:13 PM
This Guy

The Dark Phoenix move might be as much about positioning as anything. No sense rushing re-shoots to go head to head with the new Harry Potter when it can try to slide into the Black Panther spot uncontested 3 months later. The New Mutants delay seems more troubling.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:14 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Detailed write-up on what's going on with the New Mutants movie. Seems obviously leaked to get an "actually everything is fine, maybe" take out there, so take that how you will.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:40 AM
so exciting!

i really love The Last Stand's take on the Phoenix
Old 04-10-2018, 04:10 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

a funny/useful chart about m, emplate, and penance by @XavierFiles

Old 04-10-2018, 04:28 PM
Senhor Member

Have the twins appeared since fucking off to France well before Gen X ended? I miss them! (along with Gaia lol) They (well, Nicole) are resonsible for early M bons mots.

The human mind is amazing. My brain kept dismissing the bottom line as irrelevant because only the Twins, Monet, Penance, and Emplate are related to each other. Then I noticed it and lmao’d because Speedball-Penance is extremely funny. Then I completely ignored its existence again and tried to figure out how Monet or Emplate had anything to do with Avengers Academy.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:32 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

If you check that twitter account in a few days, there will probably be an article up that tries to summarize M's whole deal.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:42 PM
Senhor Member

I’m familiar with M’s whole deal! I love it! I’ve read every comic mentioned there; all of latter-day X-Factor. It’s the rest of you who need to be familiarized with her deal!!! (you don’t need to read all those comics or even the summary. life is short!) That’s why I was like, “how odd; none of these people had anything to do with Avengers Academy” when my mind wasn’t focusing on Speedball, which it rarely does.

Anyway, according to Wikia: the twins have just fucked off. Too bad.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:55 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Oh, I was referring to that Avengers Academy thing that I also found baffling until I read what you just wrote.

I know you are a Gaia Liking reader of Gen-X.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:53 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

I was reading Cullen Bunn's Uncanny X-Men and M was in it and I'm like who the fuck is this
Old 04-11-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I was reading Cullen Bunn's Uncanny X-Men and M was in it and I'm like who the fuck is this
Yeah, I completely missed all of Gen X since it was hard enough keeping up with Uncanny & adjectiveless X-Men on a teenage budget back in the day.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:03 AM

Cross posting from the comics thread since this series started as an X-Men spin-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
So one of my all-time favorite series is Marvel's Exiles, staring a bunch of X-Men from different parts of the Multitude, usually starting Blink from the Age of Apocalypse timeline, Morph, Nocturne (alt universe daughter of Nightcrawler and Scarlet Witch) and a few others. Well this week is the release of a new run by writer Saladin Ahmed and artists Javier Rodriguez and Alvaro Lopez where Blink is getting a new team together to stop something called the Time-Eater, which gets shone off at the end of the issue.

The team looks to be Blink, an older version of Ms. Marvel (one from a Fallout/Mad Max style timeline with a Furiosa style vibe to her), an alternate version of Iron Lad from Young Avengers aka a young Kang the Conqueror, and hinted at for the next issue a version of Valkyrie based off of Tessa Thompson in Thor Ragnarok and a goofy cartoon version of Wolverine (Logan not Laura).

It's a little early to tell if this will be any good, but I'm saying keep this on your radar.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:16 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

I remember liking Generation X a lot more than the main books at the time, but also Generation X's publication is pretty much concurrent with what I think basically everyone agrees is the all time low point of the X-Line. You've got Age of Apocalypse right at the start of Generation X, but then the whole line is basically a disaster with a few bright spots here and there until Morrison comes along.

(For a while, I was in a situation where a group of friends strategically people split up X-book buying so we could all read everything.... We were absolutely devoted to a thorough, completionist reading of what was in retrospect the worst time to read X-Men.)
Old 04-11-2018, 10:22 AM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

The first couple years of Gen X were pretty good, because they played to Scott Lobdell's strengths as a writer at the time and they had some real good Chris Bachalo art. It was a fun teen book with some original character concepts and some good ideas about how they were gonna interact. Once Lobdell finally tried to advance any kind of overarching plot behind the book (not one of his strengths as a writer), it fell right off a cliff. And after that you had Larry Hama trying to do light fantasy comedy with leprechauns and shit, about which the less said the better.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

In those early years, you also get to see Bachalo develop his art style from absolutely gorgeous but probably literally deadly for any artist to try to churn out for a monthly book, to something closer to his current more cartoony approach. (Both ends of this spectrum are great.)
Old 04-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Senhor Member

One pertinent thing about Hama is that I believe he was the one who resolved Monet’s backstory in a real whole-ass way. Penance was originally supposed to be from Yugoslavia, so they had a goofy scene where Monet was like, “well, I was born in Yugoslavia! and though Penance was entirely uncommunicative about her past, she did manage to get that information and nothing else to the Massachusetts Academy Registrar.” I think whoever’s the Penance body should be Bosniak now. This doesn’t matter to anyone else on Earth.

Nonetheless, he introduced Gaia. 💜 Otherwise all Gen X is good. Faerber’s good. Wood’s good. (Strain’s good) When I collected almost all of Gen X for a birthday present 17 years ago, I got some weird Jim Mahfood one-shot, whose quality I can’t ascertain. The two (two!) Gen X/Gen 13 3D issues are: bad. Bad comics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
In those early years, you also get to see Bachalo develop his art style from absolutely gorgeous but probably literally deadly for any artist to try to churn out for a monthly book, to something closer to his current more cartoony approach. (Both ends of this spectrum are great.)
I gotta say, I don’t like the (current) cartoony stuff much at all and I’m kind of mystified that everyone else really seems to like it. (the gen x stuff is nice, though) The problem is mine! Appalling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Cross posting from the comics thread since this series started as an X-Men spin-off.
I loved the Exiles, too. I bought the first issue new. I’ve read... a good bit of the series, but I’m not sure how much. It’s pretty self-contained, so I’m almost like, “should I (re-)read all the Exiles, even though I know a lot of it has a sketchy reputation??” But OTOH, it’s pretty self-contained, so why not do something else?

My review of issue 1: Blink has a gr8 new haircut.

Tags
adam x the x-treme , ah cain't touch yuh remy , berserker barrage , chayeh , claremont's boner , focused totality , foreverial tiedup x-men , marvel , mental domination , no quarter asked , none given , scumbag gambit , x-men