The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 02-16-2018, 06:19 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Chris Claremont Returns to the X-Men for Colossus and Kittyís Wedding

the claremont backup in this wedding special should focus on how this marriage affects kitty's ongoing open relationships with rachel and illyana
They were turned into babies.
Wearing bondage gear.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:20 PM
Space Prez

Is J. Scott Campbell drawing X-Men now???
Old 02-16-2018, 06:22 PM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Is J. Scott Campbell drawing X-Men now???
No, he strictly does covers these days. Hasn't drawn an interior page in years and years.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:24 PM
Space Prez

Feeling a mix of obviousness and relief.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:42 PM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

Most of his covers are typically shitty, but there is one from a little while back, lemme try and find it...yeah, Secret Empire 2

One of the gals at work pointed out that he basically drew a Hawkeye Initiative illo. We theorized that he came up with the pose for a different character and then ended up drawing Daredevil over it at the eleventh hour.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:55 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

The next issue is named after Widget whose name I kept forgetting, Iím sorry. But itís about 80% fight scene by volume. And also Alan Davis isnít handling the pencils which is a big mark against it. Dudes semi-cartoonish art was what made me like the series as much as I did. Marshall Rogers is fine but he ainít my boy, Davis.

ANYWAY, like I said most of the issue is Captain Britain/Evil Nazi Britain smacking each other around, with Brian under the pretty severe handicap of the fact that his powers are fluctuating wildly. Fortunately, the Evil Nazi version of Meggan was actually the Good Meggan in disguise, and she sucked punched the rest of the Lightning Squad, while Phoenix (who took her sweet time showing up) appears to finish off Bad Brian.

And then Kitty has a brief conversation with her own Naziverse doppelgšnger and has the exact same realization I did at the exact same time...

And sheís QUITE put out when she realizes that the WHO is going to let the Lightning Squad go back to their home universe Scott-free in exchange for the people that That Little Muppet Robot, Widget kidnaped. Rachel tries to calm her down by pointing out that she came from what was basically also a Nazi universe, except hers had giant robots and sheís fine. Gracefully ignoring the fact that she left that world and dedicated her life to preventing it from ever happening again. And also the experience left permanent and severe mental scars.

Oh, and Kitty also found and disabled Widget by walking through his star gate while intangible. So now she has a knapsack full of broken robot! So thatís a nice prize for meeting your horrifically abused mirror-universe double and being denied an opportunity to avenge herself.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:17 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Davis is so definitive for Excalibur and practically its entire cast that breaks from his work for guest pencilers and fill-ins are a hard bargain every time, if an understood necessity. Issue #8 was also penciled by another person (Ron Lim), but comparatively his style is a little closer to Davis's than Rogers's stiffly posturing proto-Image musclebeasts.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:11 PM
Mystery Contraption

Good news/bad-news, Issue #11 The Price is the last numbered issue of Excalibur in this collection. And it's got another guest artist on pencils (and he's awful). BUT it is followed up by two specials; an Annual (I think?) and an 8-parter of back-up stories that does have the Chris and Davis back doing what they do best, It also has a bunch of random Captain Britain stories filling out the page count, but I don't care so much about them.

Oh, and another ol' dooky in the punch-bowl is that this is one of those transitional issues that's mostly just there to set up the next storyline as opposed to telling an interesting story on its own.

Anyway; Kitty and Rachel are back at the lighthouse when they're met by the brother of the head of the WHO. Which introduces a second love-triangle to the team (in addition to the existing Brian/Meggan/Kurt one), seems that That Guy has the hots for Rachel, Kitty has the hots for him, and Rachel straight up does not care for any romantic attachments because she is the survivor of a horrifying Terminator-esque future and is haunted by more demons than she can count.

But besides some attempts at adding some sexxxxy to a bland story (and the guest artist falls WELL below Davis' capabilities in that regard) this whole interlude is mainly there to recap the end previous storyline; The Lightning Squad is going to try to swap themselves out for the people accidentally sent to the Naziverse. And straight-up nobody trusts them (reason stated; Nazis are bad all the time, and thus probably lying. Also Bad Nightcrawler tries to rape the head of the WHO, but Meggan punches him through a wall instead). Oh, and also, Kitty is trying to repair Widget, but she can't do anything to even scratch his casing, let alone get in there and fix him. But he's also full of baked beans and litter, so I don't know how much she could help even if she could.

Excalibur shows up to provide security for the prisoner exchange, and the Lightning Squad reaffirms their status as The Absolute Worst by showing that the Naziversion incarnation of Lockheed is both MUCH larger and also sealed in the engine of their train where it's forced to act as a living engine and, man, messing with Lockheed just is not done!

Oh, and also Evil Moira chucks a nuclear grenade at Excalibur because they'd rather kill them and the prisoners rather than let any non-Nazi universe be able to claim even a technical victory, but the train, and Excalibur, disappear without a trace as soon as the bomb goes off. Setting up a cliffhanger that I am going to have to wait an awfully long time to see resolved, if I ever do.

Next up... MOJO!
Old 02-20-2018, 04:41 PM
Mystery Contraption

Mojo Mayhem is the Excalibur annual, taking place entirely between two pages of the previous story, and there's another non-Davis artist. However, this time it's Arthur Adams, and, frankly, he's a very worthwhile substitute. It also prominently features The X-Babies! As in the 5-year-old clones of the X-Men created by Mojo, not the New Mutants.

Incidentally, this is the first time I've realized that Mojo is supposed to be Darkseid, if he was based on Harvey Weinstein instead of Hitler. And to that I said "Oh Hey! NOW I GET IT!" And just like that Excalibur made me like Mojo. Marvels been trying and failing to accomplish that for years now!

Still read his dialogue in Bobcat Goldthwaits voice, mind.

Anyway, Mojos been using the X-Babies as his star attractions since the X-Men up and "died" in the Seige Perilous, but they've proven to be pretty uppity and manage to somehow tear open a Widget Hole and flee into he 616 universe. Mojo reacts... Characteristically (screams a lot, kills one of his underlings) and then summons a new minion to hunt down and retrieve the X-Babies; The Agent!

Who looks for all the world like Nemesis wearing a Darth Vader costume. I approve.

Anyway, as it happens the kids wound up on board the train that Kitty happened to be on board, and startle her so badly she phases right off it. And after getting caught up on things, she agrees to help the kids get back to the Excalibur headquarters for help. And most of the rest of the issue is devoted to their cross-Europe road trip, with Kitty acting as babysitter to tiny versions of the X-Men, while The Agent pursues and tries to trick the kids into literally signing their lives away with demonic contracts. He largely succeeds because they are all literally five-years-old and thus not particularly difficult to trick. Side benefit to signing the contracts is that The Agent also gets the kids powers as a signing bonus.

Fortunately, by exploiting the fact that Meggan is fixated on the TV, Kitty manages to send a message to the rest of the team and soon both Excalibur and the WHO show up to save the remaining children and help fight The Agent, who is basically unbeatable until Kitty gets the idea to just erase the contracts, rendering them null.

The kids ultimately agree to go back to Mojoworld anyway, since they did like being TV stars, and are such popular stars that Mojo can't ever actually harm them. Additionally, Mojo has to promise he can't get at them by attacking their friends ever again. Which counts as a win for the good guys because Mojo forgot how damn annoying the X-Babies are.

I don't really like the X-Babies myself, but this is the comic that finally made me like Mojo, so that's pretty special. And it also seems to imply (and imply strongly) that Mojoworld is connected to the DC Universe, so that's something.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:51 PM
Space Prez

I have to track that down, I never realized Arthur Adams did a third X-Babies story.

I've never been satisfied with any of Mojo's voice actors, but I don't really have a voice in my head either. But I misread "Harvey Weinstein" as "Harvey Firestein" and I may now be forever changed.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:53 PM
Mystery Contraption

I do not see terribly much of Homer Simpson's former secretary in the characterization of Mr. Mojo.

But now, yes, I totally can hear it.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Senhor Member

I was very charmed by Baby Wolvie. Maybe after 25 years I just need to realize Wolverine is ďlegitimately appealingĒ and his oversaturation isnít his fault~~

An old Iceman mini popped up on Marvel Unlimited this week and I found it fun. For much of the time, Bobby Drake is but Fleshman, wandering around in panties getting caught by police, parents, and powerful nihilist deities.

I also really like that timeline fiddling isnít some great ethical triumph in this story, but an act of whimsy by a bored psycopath god.

I then read Icemanís other mini online and a few one-offs. I feel bad but I enjoyed them more than his cancelled ongoing. May out Iceman have better luck in future publications. Some good jokes at sweet Angelís expense.

Beastís e-mail address:

2002 baby
Old 02-20-2018, 05:01 PM
Senhor Member

Símore grabs:

Old 02-20-2018, 06:14 PM
Space Prez

My four year old has a battlecry that sounds like "show-yah" that I have head-canon'ed into "chayeh".
Old 02-20-2018, 08:04 PM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Símore grabs:

Lol
Old 02-20-2018, 08:11 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Símore grabs:
This is the first time I've been able to experience this as a hilarious surprise instead of as, "Yeah, makes sense, things were kind of glitchy yesterday."

And I just want to say:

Thank you.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:40 PM
Mystery Contraption

Okay, wrapping up Excalibur (or at least this collection) with Having a Wild Weekend, which is a bit disjointed, and a somewhat disappointing finale story as a result. Though I guess that's unavoidable since it was originally published as a nine-part (!) backup story in other Marvel books.

It also takes place a few dozen issues into the future, even though it was published almost immediately after that Lightning Squad arc.

Anyway, one night Kitty's computer explodes and out of it crawls murderous Supervillain-versions of the Loony Tunes (like if Loonatics Unleashed was made by Liefeld). Who, sadly, don't get enough screen time for me to catch their names, let alone their particular powers. That being said, the gun-toting rabbit Guns Gunny made an impression just for that name.

Anyway, in what is perhaps their saddest defeat, Excalibur (as well as Lockheed and Widget) are swiftly beaten by the toons and sent into bespoke trap rooms whe they must contend with substandard Mad Magazine-styled parodys of TV shows and movies that are all trying to kill them.

Kitty escapes from her trap by phasing, finds the control room for the trap complex and reprogram a it to help the rest of the team escape, ultimately revealing the villain to be Arcade, who was kind of phoning it in this time (by Arcade standards, at least). The story also tries it's darnedest to convince you that the mastermind is actually The Joker, some-damn-how, but the very instant "bespoke murder-rooms full of robots" showed up it was pretty dang obvious who the culprit is.

Anyway, then the team just up and leaves.

Stories over, go home.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:05 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Símore grabs:

I know little about Adam X. Is this supposed to be a Wayne's World-style hesher accent?
Old 02-25-2018, 06:41 AM
Mystery Contraption

I hope so, because thatís how Iíve been reading it.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:54 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
I know little about Adam X. Is this supposed to be a Wayne's World-style hesher accent?
Part time! X-cellent! Bwooobwooobwooobweee
Old 02-25-2018, 06:55 AM
Space Prez

"Chayeh, Garth."
"Chayeh, Wayne."
Old 02-25-2018, 09:00 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Adam-X is an alien (well, half alien) who arrived on earth in the 90s, so weirdly it makes sense that he's imitating Cool Teens he saw on TV in a misguided attempt to fit in. This is not, to my knowledge, the canonical explanation for why he looks and talks like he does. But I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be true.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:41 AM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Adam-X is an alien (well, half alien) who arrived on earth in the 90s, so weirdly it makes sense that he's imitating Cool Teens he saw on TV in a misguided attempt to fit in.
in a weird metatextual way he is an inadvertent projection of Fabian Nicieza.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:33 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

According to this interview, apparently Christina Strain's Generation-X was always originally planned for a limited run of 16 issues, so why cancel it at 12? (I know the answer is: Not enough people were buying it.) At that point, they might as well have just let them make the last four issues . . .
Old 03-06-2018, 07:07 PM
Senhor Member

Well, next time they reboot Gen X theyíll be able to end the run at issue 100 and two ~6-issue TPBs. (as opposed to... 1 slightly larger TPB or 2 slightly shorter ones) I have no idea about the Business of Comics and of course if theyíre not profitable I think itís a moral imperative for Disney to just indefinitely subsidize things I want to read, (if theyíre losing some money, why not: even more money?) but they stubbornly refuse to.

The series will be missed! Her gay Nate Grey pitch might have been a joke, but it is no laughing matter. Straight guys donít want him.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:19 PM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

I dunno if Nate Grey was originally supposed to be gay but I don't know what other reading you were supposed to get out of that stretch in the early parts of the ongoing where he and Threnody were, like, platonic roommates or whatever was going on there. especially when they did that one issue that was all Nate and Peter Parker making bedroom eyes at each other.

oh wait no nate and threnody were actually a thing, I forgot about that part. the scene where nate discovers takeout food had blotted most of the rest of the details out of my memory.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:27 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
The series will be missed! Her gay Nate Grey pitch might have been a joke, but it is no laughing matter. Straight guys donít want him.
As a stupid gay adolescent with bad taste when Nate Grey Was A Thing, I definitely read it partially because he was 90s cute, even though it was a terrible comic about making out with an astral projection of his mother he accidentally semi-omnipotentently turned into reality, maybe for ONSLAUGHT related reasons (?), or something. (This is probably wrong. I have next to no memory of what happened in his book.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
especially when they did that one issue that was all Nate and Peter Parker making bedroom eyes at each other.
This feels like the setup to someone's slash fic:

Old 03-06-2018, 07:28 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

In all my travails through the '90s X-books, there's nothing I have dreaded more than an issue of X-Man. It's just... it's just not a good comic.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:29 PM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

Huge chunks of it are really bad, but once in a while -- the early 20s or so -- there are flashes of decent writing from of all people Terry Kavanagh. It's really weird. It's like they were slapping his name on someone else's scripts.

oh man though Roger Cruz is an even worse penciller than I had remembered, and I remembered him being really fucking awful. (he was early internet famous at one point when he threw together an entire fill-in issue of I think it was Wolverine out of Jim Lee swipes.) by X-Man he's doing this godawful imitation Joe Mad/Humberto Ramos act.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:47 PM
Senhor Member

My primary experience with Nate Grey is just reading a two-page encyclopedia entry about him in a big X-Men book 16 years ago. Most of the pages were dominated by a big picture of him. The concept (what if Cable but a twunk, and he hung out with ghost Madelyne Pryor and a woman with brains instead of shoulders) couldnít be sounder.

Tags
adam x the x-treme , ah cain't touch yuh remy , berserker barrage , chayeh , claremont's boner , focused totality , foreverial tiedup x-men , marvel , mental domination , no quarter asked , none given , scumbag gambit , x-men