The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 01-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Love and Peace

I don't care if it's made of corn syrup, it's cold as hell and I'm going to Baileys up my coffee.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Any vodka martini drinkers? What's your favorite vodka? I'm partial to Grey Goose. I have a bottle of Kettle One but it's got a bit too much of that alcohol bite for my tastes.
Tito's is a regional favorite, but I'm also fond of Stoli. I'm okay with vermouth - just enough to coat the shaker, please, finish with a twist.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:50 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default GIN FOR LIFE

Quote:
Any vodka martini drinkers? What's your favorite vodka? I'm partial to Grey Goose. I have a bottle of Kettle One but it's got a bit too much of that alcohol bite for my tastes.

My dad gave me some 20 Grand one time and I liked it a lot, too, but I haven't tried to actually buy any yet.

I also know that it's not in style but I always use a tiny splash of vermouth. It's just not a martini to me without it.
No, because I don't want to ruin my Martini
Old 01-16-2017, 01:26 PM
me want the puyopuyon

Stoli is nice. My folks wound up with some Tito's this Christmas and it's pretty good too. I've gone with Svedka in the past for vodkas simply because I was close to broke and needed something to soothe my aching emotions; it's definitely on the 'budget' side of things and has a strong acidity to it, but is definitely smoother than something like smirnoff which has a flavor profile somewhere around "industrial-strength cleaner".
Old 01-16-2017, 01:50 PM
GASP

Absolutely delicious in cranberry juice.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:38 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
I also know that it's not in style but I always use a tiny splash of vermouth. It's just not a martini to me without it.
If your vodka martini doesn't have vermouth in it, it's not a vodka martini. It's just vodka with an olive.

tbh I don't really understand the appeal of vodka, where the higher quality it is, the less of a taste it has. But we have Tito's at home on the bar shelf for guests who want a vodka drink.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
No, because I don't want to ruin my Martini
Come on, let's not get tribal here. I don't get the appeal of vodka martinis, but as someone who has pretty idiosyncratic tastes in liquor, I say let people enjoy what they enjoy.

St. Germain is a nice accent, but you really have to go easy with it — more than a few droplets will render a drink cloyingly sweet in a hurry.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:04 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Come on, let's not get tribal here. I don't get the appeal of vodka martinis, but as someone who has pretty idiosyncratic tastes in liquor, I say let people enjoy what they enjoy.

St. Germain is a nice accent, but you really have to go easy with it — more than a few droplets will render a drink cloyingly sweet in a hurry.
Yes. A bottle should last you a lifetime. I'd say the same of Chartreuse. For people who are more deft hands at cocktail making i'd say it's best as a light rim or glass wash, so you get the flavour with each sip but don't like go full on.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:19 AM
hidden in snow

I was going to get a spray bottle/atomizer for absinthe/sazeracs, but may also get one for St. Germaine. It might get clogged quickly due to all the sugar, but worth a shot.

Is there any difference between the $2 cheap spray bottles and the $10 specially branded cocktail spray bottles?
Old 01-17-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Yes. A bottle should last you a lifetime. I'd say the same of Chartreuse. For people who are more deft hands at cocktail making i'd say it's best as a light rim or glass wash, so you get the flavour with each sip but don't like go full on.
tbh I've gone through a small bottle of Chartreuse in two years' time and had to buy a replacement, but that's because The Last Word is my second-favorite sour*, and I love love love introducing it to people at parties. (TLW is equal parts gin, chartreuse, lime juice, and Luxardo. It is marvelously balanced.)

* my reigning Queen of Sours, of course, is a properly made Aviation
Old 01-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Is there not one thing

The sugar in our bottle of St. Germain crystallizes in the cap's threads, meaning it takes either Herculean strength or some luck with hot water to get it open. We don't drink a lot of St. Germain.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Oily Butt Thing

An affliction common to sugary liqueurs. Same thing happens to my Pimm's No.1. One of these days I should grab a cheap glass bottle with a rubber stopper or somesuch and transplant it.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:50 PM
We just don't know.

Yeah. Pierre Ferrand's Dry Curacao™, which I will never stop pushing, gets the thread crystals too. It's kinda gross. But so good.

Chartreuse doesn't have to only be used in spritzes. You can do all sorts of things with it! But the same can be said of absinthe, and they do both have uses as spritzes/rinses/etc. I've never really used a lot of St. Germain, but like the others, a little goes a long way, but unlike them it's really easy to go Way Too Far.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:13 AM

I love Disaronno. It goes well with coke and with orange juice or cranberry juice, I highly recommend it.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:58 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post
I love Disaronno. It goes well with coke and with orange juice or cranberry juice, I highly recommend it.
If you get a chance, next time you need an amaretto try the Luxardo one instead, you may enjoy that. I find it less sweet and more almond-y than Disaronno.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:45 AM
Is there not one thing

Apropos of nothing I am reminded of the tiny beer glasses at McSorley's, and the time a friend of mine was greeted by their bartender with "What'll it be, asshole?"
Old 02-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Your life is forfeit

I brought home a bottle of Japan's first-ever locally made gin and will be trying it out live tomorrow. Feel free to watch and envy me (or laugh at me if it turns out to be crummy).

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=1898
Old 02-15-2017, 12:33 PM
Sudden chomper

Anyone have some neat cocktails to recommend that use either Grand Marnier or cherry kirsch?
Old 02-15-2017, 12:54 PM
me want the puyopuyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Apropos of nothing I am reminded of the tiny beer glasses at McSorley's, and the time a friend of mine was greeted by their bartender with "What'll it be, asshole?"
*reads up on this place*

"Good Ale, Raw Onions, and No Ladies"

well, two out of three ain't bad?
Old 02-15-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
If you get a chance, next time you need an amaretto try the Luxardo one instead, you may enjoy that. I find it less sweet and more almond-y than Disaronno.
in general, give Luxardo things a try. The Luxardo Sangue Morlacco is a very reasonably priced substitute for Cherry Heering, and I straight up prefer Luxardo Aperitivo to Campari.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:03 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Anyone have some neat cocktails to recommend that use either Grand Marnier or cherry kirsch?
It's funny, I have no mixed drinks I particularly like there (Grand Marnier is a little expensive for margaritas usually), but lots of baking recipes...
Old 02-21-2017, 09:06 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
For the kirsch, you can make a Straits Sling, sort of a drier version of a Singapore Sling: 2 oz gin, 1/2 each of kirsch and Benedictine, 1 oz lemon juice, Angostura and orange bitters, topped with club soda.

I mostly use Grand Marnier in any drink that calls for orange curacao, so you can use it in a Mai Tai, for example.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:52 PM
me want the puyopuyon

Tito's. S'good vodka. One of the cheaper options around here that won't melt your esophagus, too.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

I finally tried a really good rum, Flor de Cana from Nicaragua. It's not super expensive, it's a pretty good price point ($30 before taxes).

The rating site I looked at called it "good not great", and the $20 Haitian rum I was also looking at "a decent mixer".

I have a feeling these people have lots of money and can afford to look down their nose at $30 liquor. Also they are pretentious as hell.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:12 AM
hidden in snow

It's a little of that, but also, tastes change as you try more things. A $30 bottle of something may be awesome for cocktails, but comes up a bit short if you're sipping neat. There's an age and place for all liquors.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Yeah, I am a big fan of Flor de Cana. It's not a rum snob's rum but it's quite good for the price. When I'm fixing a punch bowl and need gold rum it's usually what I go for.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
It's a little of that, but also, tastes change as you try more things. A $30 bottle of something may be awesome for cocktails, but comes up a bit short if you're sipping neat. There's an age and place for all liquors.
the further you go into liquor nerdery, the more it becomes about sipping stuff neat or on the rocks so that you can concentrate on all the subtle flavors in a particular liquor. It's not that the cheaper mass-produced stuff is bad per se, but it doesn't stand up to close scrutiny because that's not what it's intended for. The cheaper stuff is made to be mixed or downed in shots, not lingered over.

And lots of liquor snobs are always on the hunt for stuff they consider to be a Really Good Deal - the bottles that punch above their weight. like plain ol' yellow label Four Roses being roughly one billion times better than regular Jack Daniels, but a bit less expensive. (It's slightly more expensive than regular Jim Beam but it's one trillion times better, and definitely still in the same Price Class.)
Old 02-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Is there not one thing

Yeah my favorite school of boozery is finding the stuff that's cheap as rotgut but still worth drinking. I'll leave the JW Blue and Pappy Van Winkle to the poseurs.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Yeah my favorite school of boozery is finding the stuff that's cheap as rotgut but still worth drinking. I'll leave the JW Blue and Pappy Van Winkle to the poseurs.
i need to get, like, a Bourbon Notebook or something so that I can remember what I've tried that I've liked. Our neighborhood bourbon bar has over 100 bourbons and whiskies (and I have almost 20 at this point - nice thing about people knowing you're into good hooch is that they never lack for gift ideas). It's sometimes hard to remember what's been a standout that I've had!
Old 02-24-2017, 01:14 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
i need to get, like, a Bourbon Notebook or something so that I can remember what I've tried that I've liked. Our neighborhood bourbon bar has over 100 bourbons and whiskies (and I have almost 20 at this point - nice thing about people knowing you're into good hooch is that they never lack for gift ideas). It's sometimes hard to remember what's been a standout that I've had!
The bourbon boom of the last 10 years or so has really opened things up, but it's made it impossible to ask "what's good" and get a consistent answer. When I came of age you ordered Maker's Mark if you wanted the best top-shelf bourbon that didn't require a lien on your house. Things are no longer so simple. There are like five kinds of Maker's alone these days.

Tags
alcohol , classy shit , im drnuk already , intoxication nation