The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 04-20-2016, 10:41 AM
Not a Beer

I mean, yeah, that's what it's for, but I don't think it quite gets there.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Butternut Squash

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/eggs-in-purgatory

Just made this, it was pretty nice. A bit too nice as I've burnt my mouth a lot trying to eat it.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:08 PM
Safe Space

That's the third recipe I've seen pop up for some variation on shakshuka. Is that the new thing now?
Old 04-24-2016, 06:57 PM
Don't Stop Believin'

I dunno, but poaching eggs in a sauce is nice and easy. I know huevos rancheros is supposed to use fried eggs, but a couple of weeks ago I poached eggs in a spicy sauce with peppers and onions, served it over tortilla chips. It was really tasty and I didn't have to use another pan to fry eggs.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:17 AM
Not a Beer

Shakshuka is great, but the problem we've had with it is that it's easiest to do in an iron skillet (since you need to put it both on the stove and in the oven), but the acidity of the tomato base tends to strip off all the nice built-up seasoning on it, which is annoying.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:28 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Shakshuka is great, but the problem we've had with it is that it's easiest to do in an iron skillet (since you need to put it both on the stove and in the oven), but the acidity of the tomato base tends to strip off all the nice built-up seasoning on it, which is annoying.
Get yourself some oven-safe pots! There are a lot of them out there. Although my preferred shakshuka recipe doesn't use the oven at all.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:37 PM
Not a Beer

Hmm, intriguing. Bookmarked!
Old 04-25-2016, 04:32 PM
We just don't know.

There's also menemen, which as far as I can tell is the same except you scramble the eggs and stir them into the sauce until they, well, scramble and cook.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Hmm, intriguing. Bookmarked!
So I did this and it was tasty! Only since re-heating poached eggs is a terrible idea and there's only two of us, we scaled down the recipe. This reduced the necessary cooking times a bit unpredictably, and as a result I over-cooked the eggs a bit - they weren't bad, but didn't have the soft nearly-runny yolk I like. But that just means tonight should be even better!

Old 05-02-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Nope, sweet potatoes! The orange tint isn't just sauce. By the time it's done sitting in the crockpot all day they're melty soft.
ok I tried this and it's quite incredible.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:06 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

I feel like I'm close to perfecting my burger.

Baconnaise, mustard, a little ketchup, red onion slices, dill pickles, hothouse tomato, fresh lettuce, three strips of Canadian bacon, two Kraft Singles because I couldn't get the stupid cheddar open in time, two patties made from extra lean ground beef, and sliced jalapeño all sandwiched into an ever so lightly toasted bun.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:03 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

That's some nice burgin' there.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:36 AM
Spear of Justice

That looks great. I like my sliced jalapenos grilled to take some of the heat off, but I can see you like to live on the edge
Old 06-05-2016, 11:31 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Teg is a crazy woman.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:51 AM
Not a Beer

Bought a huge bunch of fresh dill at the farmer's market and made some dill dip for carrots and such (sour cream, mayo, celery salt, tons of dill) and some dill deviled eggs (just mix the yolks with the same last 3 ingredients as the dip recipe). Good times.

Also, was out walking and guess what it's almost time for around here?

Picked and ate a few of the ripest ones. There's going to be *tons* in just a bit longer. :9 :9 :9
Old 06-21-2016, 08:41 PM
actually an eevee

kishi and I have been eating caprese salads about once a week for several weeks now, but today's was *smacks lips* superbe
Old 07-04-2016, 08:37 PM
Gesundheit!

Beer-battered onion rings!

miscellany:

1. PBR makes for the best beer batter (you're deep-frying it, don't waste money on anything more expensive)
2. I'm finally learning the individual powers of each type of onion (sweet onions are the Onion Ring Onion)
3. now im fat
Old 07-06-2016, 08:53 PM
actually an eevee

I made chanko for Brontocon 2016.

It featured in a couple of episodes of an anime we had watched recently, and Kishi and I had located a local restaurant that served it and became fans. I made a test batch a week ahead of time, which wasn't great, but my final production this weekend was excellent.

My recipe, adapted from what I remembered of the restaurant version, synthesized with some online recipes:

Sliced pork loin (other proteins are fine) - 1/2 lb
White miso paste - 1/2 package (not sure what the net mass was, but the whole thing was roughly the same size as a standard package of tofu)
tofu - firm/med - 1/2 package
cooking sake - 5 tbsp
mirin - 1/2 cup
dashi - uhh... 100 oz...? I didn't have a reliable wet measure. About 7 cups water + several tbsp instant dashi
soy sauce - couple of tbsp
napa cabbage - 1/2 head
carrot - 1 ea
Shiitake mushrooms - 1 package (mass ~ .5 lb?)
bunashemeji mushrooms - 1 package (~ .3 lb?)
burdock root - about 1 lb. This is called "gobo" at Japanese markets
green onion/shallot - ~ 3' long pieces

The complicated part is gathering the ingredients. After that, cut up the veggies and tofu, mix with wet ingredients, bring to a boil and cook about 10 min, throw in your protein and serve when it's done through. Rice is good to soak up the remaining broth.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:12 PM
actually an eevee

I also made a peach salsa

Peaches - 1 and a half (medium, 2/3" diameter)
Plum - 1 (small)
red onion - .5 large (1 cup)
bell pepper of your favorite color - .5 (large)
tomato - 1 large, drained
cilantro - as garnish or to taste

and while I haven't confirmed as such, I suspect the deficiencies tasted in the above would be resolved by including a jalapeno and lime juice
Old 07-11-2016, 12:17 AM
Don't Stop Believin'

Some random Facebook post highlighting Iranian food on Saturday compelled me to try making some Persian-inspired cuisine for dinner that night. I say inspired, because I tweaked some things for convenience and availability, but it came out pretty tasty!

The main dish I made was ghormeh sabzi, which translates to "herb stew", where I cooked beef and onions for a couple of hours with kidney beans and handfuls of sauteed herbs like parsley and cilantro, and some green onions. Traditionally it's flavored with dried limes, but I used fresh. I topped it with thin slices of radish for zing, to mimic the plates of herbs and vegetables served with Persian food. Iranian rice pilaf looks like it's normally a huge undertaking of parboiling basmati rice, then mixing it with flavorings and cooking it until it gets a nice crust on the bottom (tahdig, the most prized part). I kind of tweaked that a lot, by making a normal pilaf with chicken broth, then mixing in some yogurt and green onions, and then cooking that mixture until it got a bit of crust on the bottom (still time-consuming, but the stew took a while, so it didn't matter). And with that, I made shirazi salad, a mixture of diced tomato, cucumber and onion with lime juice and mint (again, usually dried, but I had fresh). It was all boyfriend-approved!

And tonight I had a bunch of cherries sitting in the fridge, and Tastemade posted a video of a cherry clafoutis recipe, so I was like 'Hey, it will be cool tonight, I can run the oven for a little bit!" I've never had cherry clafoutis before, so I had nothing to compare it to, but when it's cooled down, it's somewhere between flan and bread pudding. I like it! The traditional way is to leave the cherry pits in (the almond flavor from the pits is supposed to emanate into the clafoutis batter), but I pitted mine so my boyfriend would eat it. If it weren't for that, or if I were using a less annoying fruit, it's the world's easiest french pastry.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:02 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

I recreated something and it's really good!

I was in Portland for a conference and went to a food truck that had an awesome noodle salad.

There wasn't much description, but what I eventually came up with for the salad is one bunch of kale, half a daikon and half a red onion.

For the dressing I make this ginger sesame one with a splash of lemon juice.

I mix the two and let it sit overnight, it softens up the vegetables really nicely. When I'm ready to eat I mix with noodles, I've used both soba and udon depending on what was available, udon is better but soba works too.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:25 PM
forbidden noise

i started making some baguettes on thursday night after taking my roommate to the airport for evo, and baked them up today so i could bring one to the barbecue my family (and my brother's fiancee's family) were having. it came out really well and everyone liked it! i hadn't made bread before, and i also hadn't bought any since we moved (i had assumed i would get around to doing this sooner than i ultimately did). so i'm pretty excited to munch through the rest of this over the next little while
Old 07-23-2016, 02:54 PM

I made hamburg steak with onions and gravy.

Man, even though these are basically just little hamburgers, these taste so much better than little hamburgers. Glad I have leftovers. I need to make these again.

Bonus: I fried some eggs this morning and they formed a heart.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:05 AM

Honey lime skillet chicken.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:03 AM

I'm in the "cooking scraps of what I have because I move in a week" phase so i just made pancakes with a syrup that I made out of black beans and raspberries and it was a good enough blend of savory and sweet and tart that I may actually make it enough to try to perfect it

I think maybe ideally this could work in a chicken and waffle setup with a chicken with somewhat spicy breading.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:38 PM
oh my car

Tomato, onion, red lentil, lima bean, garbanzo bean, orzo soup. Completely improvised.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:06 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

German potato salad, celery seed vinaigrette cole slaw, biscuits, fried chicken. All eaten shoreside at the lake

I sunburned my knee
Old 08-01-2016, 07:58 AM
Oily Butt Thing

German potato salad is the stuff. Learned that recipe from my mom long ago.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:17 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
German potato salad is the stuff. Learned that recipe from my mom long ago.
I came to the stuff late in the game. For some Godforsaken reason my part of the South prefers mayo and sugar in potato salad - it tastes like a damn jello mold.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:41 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Good god. Mayo is bad enough. Sweetened potato salad? Sounds like someone's idea of a breakfast porridge gone horribly wrong.

For those unfamiliar, my favored recipe for German potato salad goes like so:

Three cups of diced and peeled potato. Boil those until they're soft enough to fork easily and set them aside.

Bacon. Recipes usually recommend like four strips in this case, I usually have twice that much because I like protein and I like fat. Fry that until it's as crisp as you like, take it out of the pan and set it aside, leave the fat.

A small onion, diced. Cook that in the fat until it's browned. Then add to the pan: a quarter-cup of vinegar, two tablespoons water, three tablespoons sugar, a teaspoon of salt, a couple pinches of black pepper. Heat that while stirring until it comes to a boil and maybe reduces a little bit, depending on what consistency you want. Then put the potatoes back in and stir until they're well coated with the dressing and heated through.

Finally, take it off the heat and mix the bacon back in. Sprinkle some parsley on top, chives, a little minced green onion, something for a little color.

You can adjust the flavor a bit with different kinds of vinegar and sugar. I like to use balsamic vinegar because it comes out a little less sharp-tasting.

Tags
cooking , faaaaabulous , tyrant photos