The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-28-2016, 08:40 PM
beech i ho ho ho'd you

jj is a bag of dicks, having gained semi-sentience
Old 12-28-2016, 08:43 PM
GASP

Oh, and I'm starting a second watch and paying super close attention to honorifics. Victor NEVER gets one from Yuri as far as I can tell, and now I'm headcanoning that when Victor noticed it made him all nervous, like doesn't he even LIKE me?? And it took him forever to find one of Yuri's Japanese friends who would stop laughing long enough to set him straight.

And oh my god I haven't written anything for real in like fifteen years and I've spat out 5000 words of fanfiction in four days pls help
Old 12-28-2016, 08:43 PM
GASP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaer View Post
Word.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:45 PM
beech i ho ho ho'd you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droewyn View Post
Oh, and I'm starting a second watch and paying super close attention to honorifics. Victor NEVER gets one from Yuri as far as I can tell, and now I'm headcanoning that when Victor noticed it made him all nervous, like doesn't he even LIKE me?? And it took him forever to find one of Yuri's Japanese friends who would stop laughing long enough to set him straight.

And oh my god I haven't written anything for real in like fifteen years and I've spat out 5000 words of fanfiction in four days pls help
there's no honourifics because they're talking in english most of the time. yuri's japanese gets a bit weird when he gets going (specifically ep 10 during banquet), whereas his "standard" japanese seems to be when he's speaking the lingua franca of english with all the other skaters (including viktor).

there's a few times where i think viktor is picking up some japanese vocab, and definitely where yuri is doing the same with russian. it's just so cute and heartwarming to see in a mainstream anime.

ps: pm your fanfic pls

pps: srsly pm it
Old 12-28-2016, 09:03 PM
GASP

Quote:
there's no honourifics because they're talking in english most of the time. yuri's japanese gets a bit weird when he gets going (specifically ep 10 during banquet), whereas his "standard" japanese seems to be when he's speaking the lingua franca of english with all the other skaters (including viktor).

there's a few times where i think viktor is picking up some japanese vocab, and definitely where yuri is doing the same with russian. it's just so cute and heartwarming to see in a mainstream anime.
I've been told that the dub does a better job highlighting who is speaking which languages, but I'm waiting until it's all out before I watch it so I can mainline it.

Quote:
ps: pm your fanfic pls

pps: srsly pm it

<3 Pm'd
Old 12-28-2016, 09:23 PM
beech i ho ho ho'd you

Quote:
I've been told that the dub does a better job highlighting who is speaking which languages, but I'm waiting until it's all out before I watch it so I can mainline it.
basically whenever yuri gets super-mumbly, he's speaking japanese. that's the rule of thumb. i can probably give transcripts of J and E if you wanted
Old 12-28-2016, 09:28 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Why is an anime about gay men called Yuri? I know that's one of the the main character's names, but it's all I can think of.
The Japanese title of the anime is Yuuri on Ice, not Yuri on ice. Yuuri is a boy's name, more or less meaning "courageous" when it's written with the characters used for the protagonist in this show. Yuri is a girl's name, meaning "lily." The girl-girl manga genre comes from the girl's name.

For context, Japanese places a lot more emphasis than English on the length of vowels. It's one of the biggest hurdles English speakers having in learning spoken Japanese, which otherwise is relatively easy to pronounce and listen to because it doesn't have very many sounds. But this kind of difference in vowel elongation that can be hard for some non-Japanese speakers to parse is the difference between "advisor" (顧問) and "anus"(肛門), for example.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
JJ is definitely my favourite character in the show. I'm so glad that only was a Canadian in the show (This never happens) but he was also the closest thing to an antagonist at the end (This never happens). Even if he wasn't Canadian, he was the only character I could really at all relate to and he would definitely be the best in a fist fight. The dude is a fuckin king.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:43 AM
beech i ho ho ho'd you

pfff

canadians
Old 12-29-2016, 10:13 AM
GASP

I definitely relate to Yuuri and his crippling anxiety the most.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:16 AM
beech i ho ho ho'd you

i believe we need a new word to describe yurio.

i humbly submit: angrol
Old 12-29-2016, 10:21 AM
play digimon cyber sleuth

grumpling
Old 12-29-2016, 10:22 AM
beech i ho ho ho'd you

furiuszka
Old 12-29-2016, 02:23 PM
GASP

I'm a fan of calling him an angry kitten, myself.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:28 PM
GASP

Linking because the artist has asked for their art to not be reposted.

Phichit is literally the best and must be protected at all costs.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:55 PM
GASP

Default This has killed me. I am dead now. Someone feed my cats.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Real life gay figure skater Johnny Weir's response to watching the first episode

EDIT: The image in the link is kind of NSFW

Last edited by Juno; 12-29-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:30 PM
Good Bee

Kinda NSFW image there (it's the shot of Victor's 99%-full-frontal-except-dong-barely-obscured from ep 1) as a heads up to anyone who might click that link at work.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:49 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Kinda NSFW image there (it's the shot of Victor's 99%-full-frontal-except-dong-barely-obscured from ep 1) as a heads up to anyone who might click that link at work.
Good point, edited in warning.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:55 PM
GASP

Default Random tumblr shit

Quote:
While Viktor and Yuuri skated together during the gala night

Yurio: urgh these two gross lovebirds disgust me to no end *takes the 154th pictures of them* these pictures are for practice purpose only

Otabek: *thumbs up every time Viktor/Yuuri nails their jumps*

JJ: I bet I myself can perform this better than them both

Phichit: I know they're not gonna get married unless Yuuri wins a gold medal but who knows life is full of surprise so here my opinions on how the wedding should be organized *shows a notebook filled with ideas and sketches and illustrations*

Christophe: Oh dear I guess Viktor wouldn't let Yurri do another pole dance with me at the banquet this year but what if I get them both drunk off their balls hell yeah maybe that'll distract Viktor for some minutes

Yakov: one Yuri was already too much to handle now I might get TWO YURI'S AND ONE VIKTOR NIKIFOROV

Michele: they look so adorable skating side by side I wish Sara and I would get to skate like that one day

Sara: brother I know you love me but you need to stop, like, right now

Emil: *sweats nervously* Yuuri hugged me once and I freaking hugged him back passionately Viktor gonna slay my ass

Georgi: awwww young love *sends the 99th messages about the meaning of love to Anya*

Quote:
[they're all at an amusement park]
Yurio: What do you guys wanna ride next?
Victor: [points to yuuri] I wanna ride that.
Yuuri: [chokes on ice cream]
Yurio: could u maybe go one fucking day without being gay
Victor: You and I both know that's asking way too much of me.

Quote:
100% serious headcanon: Mila refuses to accept Yuuri into the family until he lets her lift him. It’s initiation, Yuuri. Everyone else at this rink has been hefted up over Mila Babicheva’s head like a sack of potatoes at least once. NOW ITS YOUR TURN.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:22 PM
GASP

Old 12-29-2016, 10:21 PM
GASP

I just did a second watch-through of the series today.

On my first watch, I was completely caught up in everything, but I had a hard time differentiating some of the skaters who weren't finalists, and I missed a lot of details. Like the fact that Yuri's dog dying unexpectedly was a huge reason he'd blown the last Grand Prix Final. Or the competition sleeping arrangements! I held my breath through 11-12, bouncing with glee.

This time I was able to absorb so much more and I basically sobbed the entire way through 12.

Holy fuck, this show is so good.

JJ can still eat a bag of dicks, though
Old 12-29-2016, 10:26 PM
GASP

Also, Christophe greeting Yuri with an ass-grab in China makes SO MUCH SENSE after watching 10.

Although, what banquet hall comes equipped with a stripper pole?

That must be Chris' superpower; he can produce stripper poles from thin air. This is 100% canon and I will die on this hill.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:33 PM
GASP

Default Please enjoy the parental warning section from IMDB

Quote:
Sex & Nudity
8/10

Two men kiss.

The main character performs on a strip pole while drunk.

A drunk man humps another man.

Multiple male characters are seen bathing together. This isn't sexual.

A main character is shown on multiple occasions naked. His genitals are covered.

Multiple men are seen bathing together. This is not sexual.

A man asks another man and a teenage boy to take a photo of him nude to post online.

A man asks another man if he wants to sleep with him.

After a performance, a man says that the sexuality of the routine caused him to "about to come"

The main character is seen lying in bed in only his boxers. Later another man is seen lying on top of him.

On multiple occasions a man gets close to another man and touches his face in a sexual manner.

A man asks another man if he wants him to be his lover.

The main character claims that another man's performance is so sexual 'it could make a man pregnant' by watching.

A man grabbes another man's backside.

The main character's nose bleeds when thinking about his idol.

Often, the main characters perform in tight or revealing costumes.

A man runs into another man's room, pulling off his robe and jumps on him. It is implied he was naked. His gentiles are covered.

Two men are seen standing in an unintentional sexual pose, naked, as they are in a bathhouse. One of the men holds one of the other man's feet and stokes his face. Other male patrons of the bathhouse watch them though a glass door.

While drunk, a main character strips naked, touching and hugging another man. Later it is revealed another character photographed this and posted what looks like the two characters 'fooling around'.

A man wakes up another man, the other man is implied to be naked.

One of the main characters strips naked at a restaurant (he is drunk) and hangs on man next to him

It is implied a man runs around a restaurant, in front of multiple characters, completely naked after drinking too much.

In a scene, a man straddles another man while they listen to music for one of the character's performances. This is not sexual.

A man grabs his own bottom in a sexual manner trying to seduce his audience.

The main character confesses his love for a man during a press conference as the man and others watch.

Durring a sequence, a drunk man removes his underwear and throws it on younger character's head.

A man applies chapstick to another man's lips while others watch.

Violence & Gore
2/10

It is mentioned in a conversation that a character is almost arrested and killed for being in a relationship with another woman.

A man smashes his face on the wall of an ice rink. He is later seen with blood on his face. He attempts to jump into his coach's arms but is dropped on his face when his coach sees the blood.

There is short story sequence where a character is a hero who is pursued by the villain. The sequence is intense. The villain attempts to shoot another character, but the hero saves him.

A man is seen with graphically blistered feet.

One of the characters throws the main character against a counter and then steps on his head.

Profanity
7/10

Multiple uses of 'bastard'

Many characters refer to a character as a 'pig' or 'fatso'

A younger character tells a woman to stop 'acting horny' because she got stood up by another woman.

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking
7/10

A woman gets drunk on multiple occasions.

One of the main characters drinks a lot. He often removes all of his clothing while drunk.

A character gets drunk at a party, he later is seen sexually harassing the guests.

When asked where a character is, a younger character says that he drank all night and most likely still is, explaining why he is late.

A woman is almost always holding a cigarette.

A man is seen passed out from drinking.

Frightening/Intense Scenes
2/10

One of the main characters receives a call that his dog has choked on a bun and was taken into the vet.

A character confronts characters in an intimidating manner, often yelling in their faces.

The main character has a panic attack before a tournament.

A man imagines himself falling off a cliff as other characters watch menacingly.

A man tells main character he will quit coaching him if he fails the match. The main character breaks down and yells at himself, believing he is a failure.

Quote:

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!
Old 12-29-2016, 10:37 PM
GASP

Default Spoilers for S01E12

Victor is a glorious asshole and I adore him.

I'm going to bed.

Good night.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:52 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

I love horrible stupid JJ and his horrible stupid hand signs and his horrible stupid song that occasionally I sing because I'm horrible and stupid.

I love the way he horrible stupid chokes on Otabek's evil eye and then skates around crying with his horrible stupid testes in his lungs for like five minutes and I love how for a hot second I'm like YES SUCK IT FEAST ON YOUR OWN ORGANS and then immediately it becomes oh god poor horrible stupid baby you're on a stage too and you're making yourself out of nothing too and you're scared too and you're horrible and stupid but I can't wish hate on you look I'm singing, get up and smile, you can do it, good job any second now object permanence will set in and you'll WALK and I'll be very very proud of you, you trash child.

And then twenty minutes later I'm over it and he can go snort the River Thames again.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:21 AM
Mueller-mas

Quote:
Also, Christophe greeting Yuri with an ass-grab in China makes SO MUCH SENSE after watching 10.

Although, what banquet hall comes equipped with a stripper pole?

That must be Chris' superpower; he can produce stripper poles from thin air. This is 100% canon and I will die on this hill.
Yup that ass grab transforms from weird gaijin being too forward or friendly to a hey, sugar tits, how you been doing these past few months.

Stripper poles are so portable/easy to assemble or disassemble. So long as there's a hole in the floor to screw* it firmly in they can be basically anywhere! They're great for party tricks!

Old 12-30-2016, 10:39 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
Yup that ass grab transforms from weird gaijin being too forward or friendly to a hey, sugar tits, how you been doing these past few months.

Stripper poles are so portable/easy to assemble or disassemble. So long as there's a hole in the floor to screw* it firmly in they can be basically anywhere! They're great for party tricks!

This is an amazing coincidence as it coincides perfectly with Christophe's unsettling tendency to screw a hole directly into the ground with his pelvis out of sheer oversaturated frustration whenever he's not near a stripper pole. He's the problem and the solution!

So much property damage tho
Old 12-30-2016, 06:10 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

If there's another season, I hope we get more Minami, his skate music was great.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:01 PM
GASP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno500 View Post
If there's another season, I hope we get more Minami, his skate music was great.
WAY more Minami, since he obvs now has an open invitation to drop in at Yu-Topia whenever he wants!

I wrote a thing about Phichit. It is fluffy and sweet and 100% canon I will fight anyone who claims differently. You can read it if you want.

I also wrote a Victor-POV thing about Yuri's depression/anxiety. It is basically 1800 words of me pouring the pureed soupy remains of my once-beating heart onto a keyboard. You can read it if you want, too.

I also wrote a smutty thing that's full of smut but I'm not linking that here.

Tags
anime , gaer and droe shoe , ice to see you , let's kick some ice , yaoi on ice , yoi , yuri on ice , yurio nice