The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-17-2016, 06:56 PM

More thoooughtz:

• I liked Krennic as a villain, especially the small touch of his accent that suggests (per Gareth Edwards) a working-class background, which indicates he had to aggressively climb to get where he is and explains his behavior. He also adds more humane depths to the Empire ranks, showing they (like any organization) struggled with internal feuds and personality contests. It was a nice touch that the last thing he saw was his own dream taken from him and ready to obliterate him. He's a villain of course but like the only other complex villain (Anakin) you can emphasize with him.

• The explanation behind the Death Star's central weakness is brilliant. I didn't think it needed further explanation but it was a far cry from the midi-chlorian nonsense. To have Galen Erso be something of a thankless hero by making himself indispensable to the Empire's greatest project so he could design a fatal flaw and then die without anyone knowing what he did — save for his daughter (who also died) — adds a lot of necessary gray to series.

• And that leads to my next thing here: the characters are not as compelling as others throughout the series but they almost don't have to be, even though it would've made the movie more involving. It's not a Hero's Journey like other Star Wars movies. It shows the level of sacrifice that was required by a lot of nameless, thankless roughnecks to leak the Death Star plans (and play Hot Potato with the plans as Vader slashed them to ribbons). The costs are up front here and there's no ceremony with medals.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Saw is explicitly bin Laden, and his war ends once his peoples' desert home is looted of its last resources, then bombarded to satisfy a managerial dispute. We are the Empire.
That really stands out in Jedah, a city reminiscent of a middle eastern bazaar, its people literally living in the shadow of an occupier's military cruiser.

In hindsight, I'm not sure why the Neo-Nazi/MRA shitbabies were so angry about this movie. It should be right down their alley: a bunch of women and people of color dying anonymously so a white guy and his sister, both of whom inherited incredible power through no merit of their own, can become heroes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Tell me about your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
• I liked Krennic as a villain, especially the small touch of his accent that suggests (per Gareth Edwards) a working-class background, which indicates he had to aggressively climb to get where he is and explains his behavior. He also adds more humane depths to the Empire ranks, showing they (like any organization) struggled with internal feuds and personality contests. It was a nice touch that the last thing he saw was his own dream taken from him and ready to obliterate him. He's a villain of course but like the only other complex villain (Anakin) you can emphasize with him.
It was pretty clear from the start he was fighting a losing uphill battle to retain his position, and to stop both the rebels and his superiors from undermining his plans. The only thing that keeps you from feeling a bit of pity for the guy is that when things are going his way, he's a pretty smug mass-murderer. I liked the moment where after Vader brutally chastises and assaults him, he still can't help smiling a bit, because he still gets to be in charge.

Quote:
• The explanation behind the Death Star's central weakness is brilliant. I didn't think it needed further explanation but it was a far cry from the midi-chlorian nonsense. To have Galen Erso be something of a thankless hero by making himself indispensable to the Empire's greatest project so he could design a fatal flaw and then die without anyone knowing what he did — save for his daughter (who also died) — adds a lot of necessary gray to series.
Jyn did tell the rebel council about Erso's efforts to undermine the Death Star construction, even though they were skeptical. So, I imagine some people would remember his actions after ANH (for all the good that does a corpse).
Old 12-17-2016, 08:07 PM
120 Days

I loved the mundane office politics between Krennic and undead Tarkin.

Jokes: Jyn should have completed all of her loyalty missions!
Old 12-17-2016, 08:15 PM
Banned

Something I thought about with the scene in the transport en route to the labor camp: In Episode 4, we see the fight between good and evil broken down into the humble decent person from nowhere (and his associates), and the tyrannical heads of the organization. The people from the very bottom clash with the people from the very top. Fairly simple and straightforward. But as Rogue One shows, it's all the people in the middle that make rebelling for the sake of justice so difficult. The civilians who aren't so desperate as the fighters and who in fact do have a lot to lose in a violet fracas or a disruptive social upheaval. The men given guns and orders to shoot prisoners who try to escape while being transported, or else they'll be taking their place one way or another. The mid-level leaders who can't agree on how violent to be, or how diplomatic; how much they're willing to risk, to sacrifice. The hardest part of a successful rebellion may not even be the fighting—it's the organizing.

Also, as legitimately thrilling as it was to see Vader in the corvette bringing all his fearsome ability to bear on the helpless Rebel soldiers, I think what I enjoyed even more than that was the scene were he chokes Krennic. As soon as that guy brought up the question of whether he was still in command, I knew he had just put himself in the sphere of officers who practice too much self-interest and was due for a telekinetic bitch slapping. You do not prioritize your job security over the success of the mission in Vader's presence.

Quote:
• And that leads to my next thing here: the characters are not as compelling as others throughout the series but they almost don't have to be, even though it would've made the movie more involving. It's not a Hero's Journey like other Star Wars movies. It shows the level of sacrifice that was required by a lot of nameless, thankless roughnecks to leak the Death Star plans (and play Hot Potato with the plans as Vader slashed them to ribbons). The costs are up front here and there's no ceremony with medals.
I feel the same say. A lot of people are drawing comparisons to Episode 7, saying that the characters are less vividly drawn, less relatable, less memorable. But I wonder if that might be the point? A deliberate move away from heroic figures and towards the role more ordinary people have in something like this. I can't say for certain whether it works in the movie, but it definitely fits.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:31 PM
120 Days

I think it's at odds with how I feel the movie wants me to feel about it? Willing to accept that reading though. I'll check it out on netflix Canada next year to reconsider..!
Old 12-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Not a Beer

Just saw it. Good movie. Gorgeous visuals. Well played.

I don't think I'm going to see it like four times in theaters as I did for Force Awakens, but I don't know that it's because FA is *better*, it's just more fun. RO is good, but kind of draining by necessity.

I was slightly bothered by the way Faux Peter Cushing was almost there. So close! But I think it's because I'm a giant CG nerd and always have been - I knew instantly what I was looking at and it made those scenes suddenly feel like I was playing a really high-end SW video game cut-scene. He didn't bother my wife at all, though.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:16 PM
This Guy

The Force Awakens was a crowd pleaser and Rogue One is very not.

I get the complaints about the characters, but it only really bothered me with Jyn. She has a turn from not wanting to be a part of the Rebellion to giving a rousing speech, but I don't think we saw that transformation. As far as the other characters go, Rogue One didn't have as strong a central trio as Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren, but I think we know as much about the crew of the Rogue as we knew about Poe. TFA showed us a lot about a few characters, Rogue One showed a little about quite a few characters.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:39 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
What motivations were changed? Donnie Yen sorta had none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Donnie Yen was just following the will of the Force. That's all the motivation he needed.
In an interview, Donnie talked about his and Jiang Wen's characters. In an earlier draft or edit, they were both frauds. Donnie was a non-believer who talked up the Force for the sake of the Rogue team, and Jiang was a supposed Clone Wars vet who was actually just some guy who found a badass machine gun. It seems like they made the decision to streamline the story and recast the Rogues as more classically heroic.

The broad character strokes and fuzzy backstories fit better with the tradition of suicide mission combat movies, anyway. What do we really need to know about Blaine except that he spits tobacco, fought in the 'Nam, and ain't got time to bleed?
Old 12-17-2016, 11:47 PM
120 Days

We don't. But I guess I'd say Predator did a lot with little. R1... not so much?
Old 12-18-2016, 01:41 AM
Can't peeve the Sheev

Quote:
What do we really need to know about Blaine except that he spits tobacco, fought in the 'Nam, and ain't got time to bleed?
"Nothin' but a bunch of slack-jawed gungans around here. This stuff'll make you a force-damned sexual rancor, just like me."
Old 12-18-2016, 01:50 AM
oh my car

The Vader hallway scene was the film in microcosm. Nameless rebels panicking and getting fucking owned by the Empire's overwhelming power and cruelty, desperate to survive but only succeeding in death; also, a fun and stylish restatement of known qualities of Star War.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:22 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
We don't. But I guess I'd say Predator did a lot with little. R1... not so much?
Being worse than Shane Black at creating a character in 5-10 lines is no mortal sin.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
The Vader hallway scene was the film in microcosm. Nameless rebels panicking and getting fucking owned by the Empire's overwhelming power and cruelty, desperate to survive but only succeeding in death; also, a fun and stylish restatement of known qualities of Star War.
troof

I need to see it again but yeah I might've been too harsh on that scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Nerd View Post
The only thing that keeps you from feeling a bit of pity for the guy is that when things are going his way, he's a pretty smug mass-murderer.
Ha ha. Yeah, it's a little hard to feel a twinge of empathy for a guy who slaughters people to demonstrate to Management why his R&D department isn't a joke.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
The Vader hallway scene was the film in microcosm. Nameless rebels panicking and getting fucking owned by the Empire's overwhelming power and cruelty, desperate to survive but only succeeding in death
Only succeeding in death AND barely accomplishing the one thing needed to keep the Rebellion from crumbling entirely.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:22 AM
whatever it takes

Just got back from this. It was alright, but I went in expecting more. From the moment it was announced the general sentiment was "none of these people are around in the later movies, so I guess they get the Death Star plans and then all die?" and that was in fact the entire movie. I kept waiting for some sort of twist or surprise that never came.

I didn't catch a lot of the characters' names, but K2SO and the blind guy were definite favorites; most of Alan Tudyk's lines got a laugh from me. At one point K2 comments that Jyn is consistently surprising but all the scenes in which she does something surprising must have gotten dropped in the reshoots. It would have been nice to find out what she was in jail for at the beginning. The blind guy also remarks that Cassian "carries his prison around with him" but we never learn what he's talking about. I'm sure being in the Rebellion is a tough life, but it seems like that would be the case for everyone, right? Cassian seemed to be doing alright, all things considered. I'm The Pilot I'm The Pilot I'm The Pilot got his brains scrambled real good by that squid monster, which I kind of expected to come up later in terms of his reliability, but he was just fine after that one scene.

Forest Whitaker's character seemed like he had great narrative potential - a rebel with ideals and methods so extreme that the Rebellion cast him off, and now they have to go crawling back to him? There was meat on those bones. But then he got blown up and that was the end of that. Disappointing. (At least the destruction of Jedah was visually spectacular.)

A lot of the cameos seemed pretty obligatory; hey, Jimmy Smits isn't busy, let's get him in here for a day. The camera rushed past R2 and C3PO like it was checking them off on a list. Grand .mov Tarkin's CGI mouth was distractingly stiff. Vader's turbo-murdering scene at the end was rad as hell, but they should have cut his pointless snarking with Krennick earlier in the film. I'm tired of watching him choke people. I thought it would have been neat if a younger version of Max Von Sydow's character from TFA showed up in this to lend him some context, as he's described as an old ally of Leia's, but oh well.

The final battle felt like it was about three hours long. Did it seem to anyone else like getting the Death Star plans out was actually pretty easy? A shuttle full of random people decided to head off there on a whim with no plan and no support, and pulled it off. So the top secret schematics to the ultimate doomsday weapon are just kinda stuck in a filing system with everything else the Empire's ever built? There's no special security clearance or anything required to access it? They're not like encrypted or anything? Okay. They probably would have gotten out of there just fine if the rest of the Rebellion hadn't suddenly shown up and spooked the Empire into closing the shield gate. GOOD JOB IDIOTS

I'm being harder on this movie than it probably deserves; I was mostly entertained for the duration. But Episode VII remains the only piece of SW media that I've gotten really excited about. It was fresh and energizing and had me looking forward to the series' future for the first time. Rogue One just felt like a plodding death march towards a foregone conclusion, and I don't see myself wanting to watch it again. I'm now more skeptical than ever about the viability of the other planned sidestory movies. I imagine the Han Solo movie will similarly be about Han Solo flying around doing Han Solo things for two hours, with nothing new to say. For now I hope that Episode VIII manages to keep me interested, and that TFA wasn't just a fluke skywalker.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:34 AM
ah’m skunk rogue

Quote:
I suggested to my wife that this was the first Star Wars of the Trump era, but she countered that the film seemed much more informed by the Arab Winter and Syrian Civil War. Upon reflection, it's my cultural chauvinism that kept me from including those in the current authoritarian renaissance.
Just watched this. This was all I could see.

I loved this. Certainly my favorite new SW film. (I haven't seen the originals in a while) Cried a lot; reminded of Ebert:
Quote:
I've been saying for years that I never cry during sad moments in the movies, only during moments about goodness.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:51 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Just got back from this. It was alright, but I went in expecting more. From the moment it was announced the general sentiment was "none of these people are around in the later movies, so I guess they get the Death Star plans and then all die?" and that was in fact the entire movie. I kept waiting for some sort of twist or surprise that never came.
Right. It looks and feels good, but nothing interesting or surprising ever happens. There are a bunch of characters who never have or need any actual development because we already know they're going to die. Jyn doesn't want to help the Rebels, and then she briefly sees a video of her dad and she's all in. That's her entire character arc, and she's the only one who has one. Chirrut starts being a cool not Jedi, and then he ends being a cool not Jedi, but in a sad scene. Baze doesn't believe in the force, and then after Chirrut dies he believes in the force briefly before he's killed. Andor is told to kill Galen, and then he doesn't do it for some reason, but then someone else just kills Galen less than a minute later. The pilot is mindwiped, which we never see any consequences of. It really feels like they should have cut most of the characters and just had Jyn and the Droid, and actually gave them some character growth or consequential decisions to make.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:54 AM
oh my car

The reason why the plan was able to succeed is that the shuttle full of random people had previously discovered where the archives containing the plans were kept. Got it directly from the mouth of the project's lead engineer, in fact! Who also told them why it would actually be valuable to possess them. Without all of those pieces, it's checkmate for the rebellion, all the councilors just go back home and figure out how to collaborate more effectively. It's contemporary in that wars are fought with information - being able to strike matters less than knowing where to strike. All the battles in the movie are ambushes and diversions.

It is also known that there's no such thing as infosec in Star Wars. Computer science principles don't apply.

I deserve a No-Prize for this: the plans for the superweapon that Dooku got from Poggle the Lesser were incomplete, because kyburr crystal energy was still pretty theoretical. They had a big gap that said "Exotic power supply goes here." Galen Erso, the specialist in exotic power supplies, was brought on to figure out how to make it work. They scrubbed the design of any references to its original creators, because Geonosis was one of the core Separatist worlds, and the Empire couldn't very well give them credit. When development reached a certain stage, Galen realized that all the necessary knowledge about kyburr crystals had already been transferred to his subordinates, and if he left or died it would only be a matter of time before Krennic figured out his successor could finish it without him.

Anybody who thought Vader's "choke on your aspirations" gag was out of character should remind themselves of two things:
  1. He is a dad
  2. "If you'd spend as much time working on your sword skills as you do on your wit, young Padawan, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman."
Old 12-18-2016, 12:04 PM

Star Wars VII practically recycled the same story beats from A New Hope. (As did the Phantom Menace.)

Another thing to note: I like this idea of Force-attuned people who are not Jedi or Sith. I saw this explainer on YouTube that noted Maz Kanata and Chirrut Imwe as examples of these types. I think that's a cool development that complicates the geneticism Lucas imbued in the Jedi/Sith in the prequels (but not in the original trilogy where I think even Han or others could be affected or motivated by the Force).
Old 12-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
I dunno, knowing that their story was both about the journey as well as their ultimate destination made everything they did all the more meaningful to me.

Quote:
At one point K2 comments that Jyn is consistently surprising but all the scenes in which she does something surprising must have gotten dropped in the reshoots. It would have been nice to find out what she was in jail for at the beginning. The blind guy also remarks that Cassian "carries his prison around with him" but we never learn what he's talking about. I'm sure being in the Rebellion is a tough life, but it seems like that would be the case for everyone, right? Cassian seemed to be doing alright, all things considered.
We're introduced to Cassian as he murders an informant as both an act of mercy and as a cold, callous betrayal. Throughout the movie, we see in his actions that he's most definitely not comfortable with performing so much evil in the name of a vague, unreachable "good", and that he can only live with himself by saying his actions will eventually pay off for the greater cause (and even then, this is a philosophy espoused by terrorists too.) It's evident his faith in this cause is waning, increasingly dimming his opinion of himself, and he's angry at the world for it just as much as he's angry at himself.

His encounter with Jyn at the onset of the Rogue mission explicitly states the above in fewer words. It's also very likely that the rest of their cohorts --similarly dirtied by their actions for the Rebellion-- are fully expecting to die for the mission and thus redeem themselves.

Quote:
I'm The Pilot I'm The Pilot I'm The Pilot got his brains scrambled real good by that squid monster, which I kind of expected to come up later in terms of his reliability, but he was just fine after that one scene.
Yyyyyeah that was an extremely pointless scene. Out of everything that was cut, THAT should've been the first scene to hit the editing room floor.

Quote:
Grand .mov Tarkin
And now I know exactly what to call CGI Cushing.

Quote:
The final battle felt like it was about three hours long. Did it seem to anyone else like getting the Death Star plans out was actually pretty easy? A shuttle full of random people decided to head off there on a whim with no plan and no support, and pulled it off.
Jyn got it right: no one expected them, they were on a legit Imperial ship with an up-to-date access code, they had an Imperial tactical droid with them, and they never raised any suspicion. There was the ONE thing that stopped them cold: the garrison of, IIRC, 89 stormtroopers guarding the archive. Without the sacrifice of the ground troops, it would've been impossible to get past that.

Quote:
So the top secret schematics to the ultimate doomsday weapon are just kinda stuck in a filing system with everything else the Empire's ever built? There's no special security clearance or anything required to access it? They're not like encrypted or anything? Okay.
The installation itself was guarded, in order, by:

a) Two Star Destroyers.
b) A bazillion TIEs.
c) A planet-wide ray and particle defensive shield.
d) AT-ATs and countless ground troops.
e) A garrison stationed inside the main archive.
f) Very likely, Imperial access codes to the network as well as the archive itself, which Kay probably had to extract from a local droid.
g) Coded archive names which say nothing about their contents.
h) The one file they actually needed didn't seem to have the entire plans for the Death Star --just the extremely specific means to destroy it, under a header only the creator or a very, very bored archivist with a deathwish would ever bother checking out.
i) A constant stream of Stormies coming in to check what was up at the archive access.

Quote:
They probably would have gotten out of there just fine if the rest of the Rebellion hadn't suddenly shown up and spooked the Empire into closing the shield gate. GOOD JOB IDIOTS
As soon as the ground team started their diversion, they sealed their fate, and they all knew it before they gave the command. There was no way they would all be able to escape in the shuttle with the plans, if the shuttle itself was allowed to fly out at all during/after the commotion. And Tarkin figured out what was going on immediately --as soon as he knew there was an assault on the installation that contained the plans, he decided to destroy the whole thing. Even if the ground team had led the Empire on a merry chase without a single casualty, the plans would have never made it out of the planetary shield before the Death Star arrived.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Another thing to note: I like this idea of Force-attuned people who are not Jedi or Sith.
There are believers who aren't clergy; there are patriots who aren't soldiers.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:26 PM
Find Your Reason

When Vader is trying to shoot down Luke, he goes "The Force is strong in this one" without jumping to the conclusion that there's anything else special about that pilot. So might be that normies that are, for whatever reason, favored by the Force is a regular thing that happens.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:31 PM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Star Wars VII practically recycled the same story beats from A New Hope. (As did the Phantom Menace.)
That's fine. I enjoyed them far more in TFA than I did in those previous two movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I dunno, knowing that their story was both about the journey as well as their ultimate destination made everything they did all the more meaningful to me.
I getcha. I just wasn't real thrilled with the journey.

Quote:
h) The one file they actually needed didn't seem to have the entire plans for the Death Star --just the extremely specific means to destroy it, under a header only the creator or a very, very bored archivist with a deathwish would ever bother checking out.
That didn't seem like the case to me? They made mention several times of how enormous this file was, so I don't think it was excerpted from anything. Also, Galen was only an engineer on the project, not its sole overseer -- there was no way he could gamble on no one bothering to look at a file pertaining to the Empire's ultimate doomsday weapon, the contents of which are solely how to destroy said weapon. He had to carefully hide a flaw in the design so that it would never be found unless you knew to look for it. Jyn already delivered to the Rebellion the message that the reactor setup was extremely fragile, which is the key piece of information. The blueprints of the station itself were then needed to find a way to get at the reactor from the outside.

Quote:
And Tarkin figured out what was going on immediately --as soon as he knew there was an assault on the installation that contained the plans, he decided to destroy the whole thing. Even if the ground team had led the Empire on a merry chase without a single casualty, the plans would have never made it out of the planetary shield before the Death Star arrived.
It seems like if Tarkin actually had figured it out, he would have called ahead and ordered the transmitter destroyed in advance of the Death Star getting there to clean up.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:44 PM
Find Your Reason

Calling ahead would risk the Rebel spies also catching wind of that call, and them deciding to either lay low somewhere else in the planet to try again another time, or ditch all safety and make a break for it with a full-scale assault. By not telling anything to the station he made sure that everything proceeded as it usually would on both sides of the conflict.

It also seems that the installation itself didn't have a clue why the Rebels were there, so they had no reason to shut down the transmitter (especially if they needed to use it to call for help themselves). Only Krennic suspected, and he took matters into his own hands to make sure no one was alerted to his own mistakes.

As for the DS plans, Cassian mentions finding some files about it but none of which is useful, and Kay directs him specifically to "structural data". Then Jyn runs into a plethora of archives with codenames. "Stardust" very likely had the specific description of the exhaust port, its defenses, and its connection to the reactor module, as opposed to, say, blueprints that would also describe waste management or cell blocks.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:52 PM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
As for the DS plans, Cassian mentions finding some files about it but none of which is useful, and Kay directs him specifically to "structural data". Then Jyn runs into a plethora of archives with codenames. "Stardust" very likely had the specific description of the exhaust port, its defenses, and its connection to the reactor module, as opposed to, say, blueprints that would also describe waste management or cell blocks.
Oh, okay. I remember that part but I didn't realize that everything they were talking about was Death Star-related; I thought they had found a bunch of Imperial projects but couldn't sort out which ones were the DS plans from the names.

"Project: Guard Rails? No, this one got scrapped, can't be it..."
Old 12-18-2016, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
That really stands out in Jedah, a city reminiscent of a middle eastern bazaar, its people literally living in the shadow of an occupier's military cruiser.
That scene was very obviously an Abrams tank rumbling through Baghdad. Whether that was intentional or simply through that image osmosing into the subconscious of the director, I don't know. Or, I suppose, you could say the place was Syria and the tank was Assad's.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. SW on the whole I could take or leave, and I thought that last year's movie was fun-but-derivative. Rogue One drug in a lot of places, but the ending made it worthwhile. Really enjoyed that, not a typical Hollywood ending at all.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:07 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

I agree with more or less everything Vaeran said, except that I wouldn't particularly mind that the journey of the film wasn't surprising if I were more invested in the characters. I certainly liked them well enough, but the movie takes a bunch of narrative shortcuts with its big character moments so it can spend half the movie on the finale. As a result, none of the emotional beats landed for me* and the final battle went from being cool to exhausting without getting the payoff I think the film makers were going for with their big nuke sequence.

I was thoroughly entertained the entire time though! The action is great, the dialogue is fun and helps counterbalance the grim and gritty aesthetic and yeah Alan Tudyk's K2 was pretty great. I sincerely enjoyed the tone and feel of the movie, and I did pick up on much of the same themes that excited almost everyone else in this thread, but without a good dramatic backbone it all felt like texture with little substance. I liked it, will see it again eventually but not any time soon.

*With the exception of Jyn seeing her father's message and then falling to her knees right on beat with the initial blast tremor. But it's saying something that it was that scene that got more emotional gravitas than the actual death of her father.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:43 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I did like the seemingly throwaway line from Cassian that Chirrut was one of the "guardians of the Whills". The Journal of the Whills is always floating at the periphery and I'm glad they nodded toward it.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:38 PM
does the Underpants Dance

This movie rocked. I might see it again. It's interesting that I was able to accept Jyn's character pivot at face value and not so much with Rey in TFA. All it took was Jyn breaking down crying at seeing her father's message and I was sold. The ending took me by surprise and I think I experienced that wonderful movie feeling of being unaware I was in a theater watching a movie. I'm glad they made Vader brutally fucking murder people instead of cutting away too much. I wouldn't be surprised if the draft for this movie started with the ending, which was perfectly designed to make you leave the theater and go watch A New Hope immediately.

Tags
battlestar wartrek , cushing for the pushin , dank cushing , i am one with the force , mom mothman , rogue one , spoilers , star wars , star wars gaiden , the force is with me