The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 06-04-2015, 08:44 AM
There he is!

Default 1-2-3-4: THE WICKED + THE DIVINE by Gillen/McKelvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
It might be time to start a WicDiv thread so we can talk about our dream cast scenarios. Sophie Turner as Amaterasu, anybody?
A thread is a good idea, but I don't care about casting right now because HOLY SHIT DID YOU READ ISSUE #11?!

So since Persephone's whole role in Green mythology involves being pulled into the Underworld, I feel like we're about to see Laura journeying through some kind of afterlife, and given that Gillen has hinted we'll get to learn more about some of the previous Pantheons, maybe we'll get to see the gods who haven't resurrected this time. But still, holy shit, this issue.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:04 AM
Dinger!

I haven't read Issue 11 yet, but I'm going to soon.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:15 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

thread wasn't named ONE TWO THREE FOUR? For shame

as for casting, just remember that Laura and the Pantheon are all really young - 12 to 23 at the most. I also kinda think that casting will work best with unknowns but we're unlikely to get that.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Dinger!

Holy fuck, issue #11. That's nuts.

So, I think it's pretty clear that Ananke is a villain now and potentially was the whole time. I'm guessing she framed Luci. And that she purposefully set up Baphomet to go for a kill.

Now, the Laura/Persephone stuff is interesting. First of all, what a fucking brutal few pages. Give your main character everything she's ever wanted and then immediately kill her for it. George R.R. Martin and Joss Whedon have nothing on Kieron Gillen.

But the stuff about there being a thirteenth god is weird. It feels like Ananke only made (or found) Persephone just so she could kill Laura. Like, she purposefully gets her to perform before killing her, just as she indicated to Baphomet. Is Ananke trying to kill gods to get their life force for herself? Maybe.

And as usual, Matt Wilson killed it with the colours. I really hope he wins the Eisner.

As for casting, I think you're right, UUDD, about mostly unknowns. Heck, I'm not aware of any Japanese trans actresses and that's who they'd need to go with to get Cass right, so there's one unknown at least. However, I've got one major hope: Dame Judi Dench as Ananke. She'd be perfect. It feels like McKelvie even modelled the character after her.

Also a bit disappointed that the thread's not called 1-2-3-4 (I'd been meaning to do that for months) but this is a good one too.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:26 AM
New Video World is out!

I've only read the first trade but I liked it a lot. Meaning to catch up.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:19 AM
Dinger!

Another thought I just had: three of the Gods were people that Laura had met or been near prior to Ananke discovering them - Inana, Dionysus and Cassandra/Uršr. That seems like a weird coincidence and makes me more suspicious that Ananke's "discovery" of each of the gods is not an unmotivated process.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:16 AM
There he is!

Also, since both of them are dead, maybe we'll get to see Laura and Luci together again!
Old 06-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Dinger!

Maybe. But remember, if there's any afterlife stuff going on, that will be Persephone, not Laura. Although it's unclear to what extent the gods and their hosts are separate or the same, so maybe that will get cleared up too.

In any case, we're headed into the arc of guest issues, so who knows how many of these questions will be resolved or how soon.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Dinger!

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about a new artist for issue #12, but after the fight between Baal and the Morrigan, I was sold. Making the panel layout in the two-page spread correspond to Innana's symbol was a nice touch.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Dinger!

Just read Issue #13. Brace yourselves folks. This one hits hard and fast and close.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:05 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Just read Issue #13. Brace yourselves folks. This one hits hard and fast and close.
Man, you weren't kidding. What a gut punch of an issue.

I do have to admit I was kind of hoping we were going to get more art like the concert on the first few pages, because Tula Lotay is just so good and that sort of weird cosmic stuff. She was fantastic at the more down-to-earth stuff in the rest of the issue, and I hope they have her back another time when she can really cut loose.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:57 AM
Dinger!

Yeah, I really loved her art. Felt like a perfect fit for the book, since she proportions characters in a similar way to McKelvie, but gives everybody a bit more of an airy, otherworldly look.

Can't wait to see what the next few issues are like, both with the spotlights and the guest artists. The next one up is Woden and I'm sure it will be a weird one.

Last edited by Karzac; 08-07-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:25 AM
There he is!

The remixed art in #14 was great.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:13 AM
Dinger!

Just read it. Took me stupidly long to realize that the art was remixed, but it was very cool.

That last panel! So many questions!
Old 10-17-2015, 07:46 AM
Dinger!

Has anybody read the new issue? Definitely a lot to parse. Probably the most subtle issue since #3.

Stephanie Hans' art is absolutely breathtaking. They've really been killing it with these guest artists. Thinking on it, it makes a lot of sense for this particular arc too. McKelvie presents the world to us a in a fairly sober, clean style, but when we see the world from the perspective of each god, things get much more stylized and there's huge variation between them.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:00 PM
There he is!

Quote:
Has anybody read the new issue? Definitely a lot to parse. Probably the most subtle issue since #3.

Stephanie Hans' art is absolutely breathtaking. They've really been killing it with these guest artists. Thinking on it, it makes a lot of sense for this particular arc too. McKelvie presents the world to us a in a fairly sober, clean style, but when we see the world from the perspective of each god, things get much more stylized and there's huge variation between them.
I've seen a lot of people uncritically accepting Urdr's point of view on Amatersu as obviously true, but I find it interesting that Ammy is the only one of the gods who seems to actively embrace and incorporate the religion that's built up around the god she is/identifies as.

It's not like Woden is out there representing the entire Norse religious mythos, rather than just this singular character, for example.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:08 PM
Dinger!

My reading - after reading Gillen's writer's notes, which admittedly are still pretty vague - is that Cassandra's by-and-large correct, especially when the whole "bomb over Hiroshima" thing comes up, but that Amaterasu's relationship with Shinto and Japan are a bit more complicated than Cass assumes. The flashback stuff, the specific choice of Hiroshima and the final page seem to suggest this.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:18 PM
Oily Butt Thing

so this was a pretty good gag I thought. (variant cover from this week)

Old 02-12-2016, 07:45 PM

Just got and devoured the third volume of TW+TD.

damn. my hunger is palpable for the story to continue. Lotta plates in the air now.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:59 AM
Dinger!

The wait until April for a new issue is goinh to be interminable.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
The wait until April for a new issue is goinh to be interminable.
but Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl comes out next month in TPB so that soothes the pain
Old 02-14-2016, 07:35 AM
Dinger!

I already read it ibln singles.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I already read it ibln singles.
is it good? please tell me it's good. please.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:17 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
is it good? please tell me it's good. please.
It's very good.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Dinger!

It's very good. Somewhere between Singles Club and Rue Britannia on the "comprehensible characters and story vs. charmingly high-minded formalist amd metaphorical bullshit".
Old 02-18-2016, 10:09 AM
There he is!

If you liked the Memory Kingdom from Rue Britannia, you are in for a treat with Immaterial Girl.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Immaterial Girl was the first Phonogram I read, which was probably not the best way to go about it. I've read Rue Brittania and the Singles Club now, so I'm excited to re-read it and hopefully get some more out of it.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:33 PM

That's good to hear. Phonogram has always been a little heartbreaking for me because it's one of the most perfect comic pitches ever (Pop music doesn't just feel magic, it is magic, and people can use that magic. Mayhem, both personal and magical, ensues.) and I always felt like it should have been a much bigger deal than it was. like, it just came onto the scene a few years too soon. If it'd come out for the first time in 2012, I think it would have been a success from the get-go.

On the other hand, Phonogram is one of those trailblazer comics that paved the way for more comics like Phonogram.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:55 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sampson View Post
Immaterial Girl was the first Phonogram I read, which was probably not the best way to go about it. I've read Rue Brittania and the Singles Club now, so I'm excited to re-read it and hopefully get some more out of it.
I kind of feel like every Phonogram is kind of meant to be equal amounts of sense and nonsense regardless of which of them you've read, but you're probably right that Immaterial Girl relies more heavily on previous stuff than Singles Club does.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Dinger!

Oh man, teaser for the new arc.

Spoilers for the second arc in there, by the way. (Issue 11, mostly)