The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-26-2015, 01:07 AM
23 ski-dook

I really love this show. Surprise!
Old 03-05-2015, 11:44 PM
23 ski-dook

I was on a treadmill at the gym when watching the latest episode; the sex toilet bit made me laugh enough that I had to hop off the machine a bit to stop.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:10 AM
Conquers the World

I looked up the Cinnabon scene from the premiere on Youtube and stumbled upon the dumbest thought a person has ever had

Old 03-10-2015, 12:05 AM
MassiveOnlineBunnyArena

Oh man, Mike back story. I feel like Christmas has come early.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:58 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Yeah, that episode was excellent. I don't have anything insightful to say about it, but even if the rest of the show was terrible (which, to be clear, it is very much not), it'd all be worth it just for that episode. Mike monologues are the best monologues.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:59 PM
TARANTUL

So was Mike actually drunk there? I kinda think he was mostly nursing a glass of something and playing it up, but it was hard to say...
Old 03-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
So was Mike actually drunk there? I kinda think he was mostly nursing a glass of something and playing it up, but it was hard to say...
I thought it was pretty clearly implied that (most recent ep spoilers) he was faking being more drunk than he was to some extent to lull the cops into a false sense of security. It's unclear exactly how much he had to drink; probably not a little (the bartender probably had some idea how much he'd served him), but not nearly as much as they thought (which was the point). Of course, in the show's universe, Mike's probably such a badass that he really did drink a million whiskeys that night, and just has Super Alcohol Tolerance to go along with his Super Bodyguard/Assassin/General Badass abilities established in Breaking Bad.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:34 PM

Just when BCS was going slow and almost nowhere with the episode before this one, this episode happens. Great hour of television, with Jonathan Banks in that last scene almost leaving me with a lump in my throat. This episode was like something tragic out of The Godfather.

Did anyone think that one Philly cop who seemed like Alec Baldwin was Alec Baldwin?

Also, is Mike the guy who taught Huell how to lift? Check it outtt

Last edited by Dizzy; 03-11-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:14 PM
Gesundheit!

That honestly left me a little cold. This is what I was worried about with this show - I'm happy to see a series exploring Saul's world and how he does his thing, but I'm not interested in it as a dispenser of Breaking Bad backstory. But mostly I was just bored.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:31 AM

I watched it at the wrong time. I should watch it again when I'm not fighting off sleep. I didn't really pay much attention or feel anything for it but like I said, fighting off sleep (and in a bad mood).
Old 03-24-2015, 08:16 AM
till the sheriff stops by

So who else really liked this last episode. Because I did.
When Jimmy rushed into the bathroom to fix up a quick legal document, I thought it was a stroke of genius.

Also genius (specifically comedic): the recycling bin. It's not exactly a new joke, but the fact that it took so long for the show to get there made me smile.

I really like the fact that, compared to Walter White, Jimmy doesn't seem to have that far to fall when we first saw him. In fact, when the Kettleman arc wrapped up (for now, at least) he pointed out that he has so very little to lose. But we see that he does have ideals, and when he loses those, I expect it to be a very sad episode.

I also like that overall, the show has a much mellower vibe. Yes, there was the Tuco thing in the second episode, but overall, it isn't the super tense, often cringy stuff that made Breaking Bad so compelling (though I expect some cringy stuff down the line, especially since last night's developments are going to have big ramifications on the case). And that's fine. The noose isn't tightening for Saul like it did Walter, but he is in a world were he needs to keep things together that seem to be in a constant state of falling apart. I could see someone complaining that it isn't as interesting as Breaking Bad, but this is a world I'm fully on board with.

And it is nice to see a Jimmy who believes in helping people. I think something that never changes when Jimmy becomes Saul is that he will do what he needs to do to help his clients. He might seem cowardly and sleazy but if you are his client, he will go all the way for you. And while Jimmy could walk away from this with a nice payday, it would be unthinkable to see him going this far for just that.

Part of me is hoping that the season finale does what the Dollhouse season finales did: spend an episode WAY in the future (as in, where we saw in in the first scene of the pilot) and show us that his story doesn't end there. i don't think they'll necessarily do THAT, but I expect we'll see some more story of Cinnabon Saul in the future, which I very much look forward too.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:50 PM
Conquers the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
And it is nice to see a Jimmy who believes in helping people. I think something that never changes when Jimmy becomes Saul is that he will do what he needs to do to help his clients. He might seem cowardly and sleazy but if you are his client, he will go all the way for you.
Well, not quite. Remember that when Walt and Jesse first kidnapped him and forced him to get Badger off without giving up Heisenberg, Saul suggested it would be way easier and cheaper to just kill him.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
I really like the fact that, compared to Walter White, Jimmy doesn't seem to have that far to fall when we first saw him. In fact, when the Kettleman arc wrapped up (for now, at least) he pointed out that he has so very little to lose. But we see that he does have ideals, and when he loses those, I expect it to be a very sad episode.
I think I'm starting to prefer Better Call Saul over Breaking Bad for exactly this reason - BB's protagonist is basically the average man's power trip/mid life crisis, whereas with BCS, the protagonist's fundamental nature is that of a criminal who is trying to break free from his natural instinct. It's especially unfortunate because the world around him recognizes this nature and does its best to force him back into his role - The Kettlemans refuse to put him on retainer because he "looks like a lawyer guilty people hire". After Mike convinces him to assist in filching the police officer's notebook, Saul goes, "how did you know I would help you?" He looks at him and laughs, because he recognizes Saul's fundamental nature as a petty criminal.

I think Saul's story fits better as tragedy than Walt's, despite their relative starting points in society. Walt loses everything because he actively makes decisions that negatively impacts his life, despite the fact that he always has better alternatives available to him. Contrast that to Saul, who only resorts to the criminal option when he feels he's left with no other viable option. Saul's an alright guy and was my favorite second stringer in a series filled with great bit characters, so I guess I was predisposed to liking this show.

Last edited by Rufferto; 03-24-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Well, not quite. Remember that when Walt and Jesse first kidnapped him and forced him to get Badger off without giving up Heisenberg, Saul suggested it would be way easier and cheaper to just kill him.
That's true. I forgot about that. Strange since there was a hilarious bit where Walt, after Jesse says "We aren't killing him!", sort of sighs as if to say "Ugh, alright, if it means that much to you."

Still, he never stops being a good lawyer (just not that kind of good) and you never see him ripping off his clients, though he certainly isn't above manipulating them (as seen in his first appearance where he appears at Walt's school to make sure that he can guarantee his business in the future.

The cliffhanger in the last episode opens up a lot of storytelling doors. Really looking forward to where it goes (though likely, it will be bad for his case and Jimmy's future).
Old 03-24-2015, 07:44 PM
Good Bee

I thought bending the rules to use his brother's HH&M account to print documents for their case was pretty hamfisted foreshadowing that this will result in HH&M pulling the rug out from underneath them and stealing the case the moment they get wind of the price tag. I hope (and trust) they'll end up doing something more interesting than that.

Great episode, anyway.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:03 PM
That Pokemon Guy

I get the feeling Jimmy's friend is going to get in trouble with her boss.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:14 AM
23 ski-dook

The last five minutes or so of the latest episode were fucking great.

Everything else was great too, but man, that bit at the end.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:55 AM

I don't think I've ever felt simultaneously happy and sad for a TV character before, in the same scene. I don't mean like I started out feeling one way and then changed to the other, I mean seriously, I felt both ways at the same time during that ending bit.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:34 AM

That was such a great ending. Things did not go the way I expected based on the last episode and I love the fact that the series is so good at being intentionally ambiguous about how much Jimmy's view of Hamlin matches the reality. Here, this episode implies a lot more sympathy for him, though he is still something of a mystery. I hope we never find out that guy. Though anyone who names a color after himself can't be a good human.

EDIT: Wait, I forgot how shitily he treated Kim over the Kettleman deal. He's definitely an ass.

It might not be for a couple seasons, but now I know what the series is heading towards: Saul (not Jimmy) vs. Chuck in a court of law. Saul will not play fair and though it will be an uphill battle, he will turn all of Chuck's values (and weaknesses) against him. And, of course, he'll need a lot of criminal funds. It could be that Saul even has to disappear right before that case gets decided. I also think that the Saul persona will be a response that says "you think I'm still Slippin' Jimmy? I'll show you something that's so much worse".

BTW, I was curious over the fact that every episode (except Alpine Mountain Boy, which was originally going to be called Jello) ends in an O. I wonder if that we'll change with the character's successes. Like when he wins his first case, the episode will end with I, after 5 they'll end with V, etc.)

The Mike stuff in this episode is great. I love that any time someone talks before Mike, it shows that he has already won. Not that Mike thinks there's a contest.

Oh, it just occurred to me Jimmy is probably going to defend that pills guy in the near future.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 03-31-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:47 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
I hope (and trust) they'll end up doing something more interesting than that.
Yay, they totally did. Way more interesting. Great episode, again.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:45 AM
Conquers the World

Man, I can't believe I didn't notice that dude Mike beats up and takes the guns from is Trevor from GTA V
Old 04-01-2015, 07:46 AM
Gesundheit!

I can't help but wonder if pills guy is supposed to be a Walt surrogate, not meant to appear again. A meek guy in glasses wearing Walt's shade of green, literally being advised on what it means to break bad for the first time, even if he doesn't consider himself a "criminal." This is the advice that Walt never received.

I don't mean to map out the Breaking Bad universe onto this show like it's just a bunch of Easter eggs for fans. But it reflects on the whole theme that people have mentioned of how frequently Jimmy tries to do the right thing when the wrong thing is always just one easy move away.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:44 AM
does the Underpants Dance

That was the best episode of the show so far. I can't believe I forgot the scene where Chuck walks out to the mailbox. That would've made the twist much more obvious.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:42 PM

Yeah, I didn't view the ending as a big twist. Just a really sad turn of events. I was alternately thinking "Hell yeah Jimmy, stand up for yourself," and "Damn, Jimmy, you just found out something terrible that's going to break your view of the world."
Old 04-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Gesundheit!

Dizzy linked me this EW take on Better Call Saul, and I have to say I agree with its larger point, though I feel more warmly than the writer toward the Chuck character. The Breaking Bad team can craft an amazing scene with perfectly conceived and acted character work and film the shit out of it, but as a whole this show is every possible spinoff at once, including the weak ones. I hope they pick one of the stronger threads and stick with it and lessen the focus on being an Origin Story.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:41 PM
It's all good, man

Yeah, it does seem like they're drifting around a bit and couldn't pick a single storyline to focus on. It's just easy to ignore when you end every episode thinking "I liked that a lot."
Old 04-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Im not saying Better Call Saul should become Or Maybe Just Call Mike
I am 100% on board with this plan.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:06 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I have now seen one episode of this series. It's the one about Mike where Mike gets his revenge on the two cops that killed his son. Well that was dark. But my friend said most of the time the show is very funny.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:06 AM
That Pokemon Guy

That was an enjoyable finale.

Howard actually seems kinda decent to Saul when Chuck's not involved? Interesting.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:12 AM
Conquers the World

When Jimmy's buddy died, my dad turned to me and said "I didn't like this one" and I was like "yeah, for a finale it's kind of disappointing"

Right after Jimmy talked to Mike about what stopped them from taking the Kettleman's money, we were like "...nevermind"

Tags
breaking bad , or maybe just call mike , slipping jimmies , team zombie gus