The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Mystery Contraption

Default Smilin' Stans Favorite Son; Let's Watch: Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends

So Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends showed up as a Recommendation on NetFlix and, well, how could I deny what the good people at NetFlix went through the painstaking process of suggesting for me based on my previous viewing history.

The long and short is that this show is crazy, but crazy in a way where you are never quite sure if it was earnest goofiness or the writers plainly not thinking things through, or just saying "screw it, lets have Spider-Man punch a dinosaur". In many ways, it kind of feels like a prototype for Batman: Brave and the Bold. Except that the special guest star is always Iceman and Firestar (who was actually made up for the show, presumably because Iceman had the exact same personality as the Human Torch, and because Mary Jane didn't have any super powers and was also never actually mentioned as existing)

And I opted to start watching the show with the second episode; The Crime of All Centuries, with special guest villain Kraven the Hunter, because if there is anything that will catch my attention faster then an episode description that includes the phrases "Kraven the Hunter" and "Dinosaur army", then I shudder to think of what kind of life I have been leading that I have not yet heard it.

The episode begins with Spider-Man and Firestar on a date/platonically watching a monster movie with a girl that looks exactly like his girlfriend where they announce that the reason that the special effects are so realistic because Kraven the Hunter had supplied the film studio with actual giant fire-breathing monsters that he had been hunting (For the uninformed, Kravens entire thing is that he likes hunting stuff). As they leave the theatre they also beat up a motorcycle gang, presumably because the episodes been on for a minute or so and nobodys had Firestar incinerate anything yet. And then we cut over to The Savage Land for Kraven to explain his evil plan to his henchman "Skeleton".

Note that the henchmans name is Skeleton. He is not a skeleton-henchman, he does not even look thin. He is a humble man named "Skeleton", helping a Russian big-game hunter who wears a lions ENTIRE FACE as a shirt capture dinosaurs in the middle of the arctic.

Anyway, it seems that capturing and selling giant fire breathing monsters to film companies to make big-budget science-fiction movies with wasn't quite enough for Kraven, so he decides to go to the next step and steal a bunch of dinosaur eggs from the Savage Land, then use the mystic gem to make them grow to maturity more quickly, with the help of the Single Greatest Source of Heat on the planet (That would be Firestar. Who's photo he keeps tucked safely in his crotch. No comments.) then use those same dinosaurs to take over New York City.

So he immediately sets out to lure Firestar into a trap by driving his van into Times Square and secretly releasing his already-captured LIVE ACTUAL DINOSAURS into the public. Which really begs the question of why he's even bothering with the rest of his plan, since his end game is to get LIVE ACTUAL DINOSAURS to make a DINOSAUR ARMY when he already has a literal truck load of them.

Anyway, as it would happen, Firestar was walking around and reacts to AN ACTUAL LIVING PTERODACTYL flying around, unseen 'pon the living Earth for millions of years in the same way she reacts to absolutely every-damn-thing: She immediately sets it on fire.

Kraven is impressed by her quick thinking and gives her a ticket to his museum show where he is going to reveal some more dinosaurs he captured. She goes, and Spider-Man and Iceman follow her because she sees nothing wrong with going to a public showing of LIVE DINOSAURS being held by a guy who constantly tries to hunt her best friend like a wild animal. Which... err... considering the location and her tendency to incinerate anything that could possibly be construed as a threat (in a kid-friendly, TV-Y kind of way) is kind of sensible of her, really. But they sneak off anyway, since the show isn't called Firestar has no Friends

At the show, Kraven has Skeleton go ahead and open the cages to the dinosaurs which you might THINK is part of his plan to capture Firestar, but no... her being there had nothing to do with anything. He released the dinosaurs so they would serve as a distraction so that Kraven and Skeleton could steal that magic gem I mentioned before and which everyone forgot about up until now, and which ill not get mentioned again.

Firestar realized at this point that Kraven is up to No Good and decides to head off and thwart him herself while Spidey and Iceman fight dinosaurs, but it seems that this HERE was the plan to capture Firestar and he puts his evil plan into action by throwing a Heat-seeking Boomerang full of Liquid Nitrogen at her.

I do not even know how that is supposed to work.

Anyway, Firestar wakes up back in Kravens Secret Tropical Volcano Lair(?), hidden in an old Zepplin hanger(??) where he explains his evil, stupid plan to her. She responds by SETTING HIM ON FIRE. Expecting this, he reveals that the volcanic vents are all chock-full of freezing gas, so she just gets knocked out again.

Fortunately, after all this time, Spider-Man and Iceman show up in Kravens hideout, which they were able to correctly guess was hidden in a Zepplin hanger, which probably would have served as a better hideout if he didn't have his custom Semi truck parked outside it, with the words "KRAVEN THE HUNTER" stenciled in bright red on the side. They get captured pretty much immediately after setting foot inside, because they are not good at their jobs.

Anyway, Kraven threatens to kill Spidey and Iceman unless Firestar helps him with his sinister plan to make different dinosaurs then the dinosaurs he already has and... I guess hope she doesn't just decide to set him on fire a third time. Honor system I guess. Anyway, she agrees to make some dinosaurs for him, while Iceman wakes up and breaks out of his death trap cage by shaking it really hard. Iceman doesn't have super strength or anything, and his freezing powers were canceled out from the fact that he was in a volcano, so I guess it was a really shoddily made cage. Iceman then sets Spider-Man free, but not before Kraven gets his hands on a T-Rex, which immediately knocks Iceman back into the volcano, which then erupts. Firestar stops the volcanic eruption by doing the only thing she knows how to do; SHE SETS THE LAVA ON FIRE.

I want to type that sentence again, please indulge me.

"FIRESTAR SETS THE LAVA ON FIRE"

In less then twenty minutes Firestar has become my new favorite character in the Marvel universe.

Oh, and then they knock the T-Rex into a tar pit, and also toss Kraven into the tar pit, and Firestar puts the magic crystal into reverse and turns the dinosaur into a baby, and Kraven goes to jail, and the ACTUAL LIVING DINOSAURS go back to the Savage Land (rather then doing absolutely anything else, at all) with them, and we finally have closure on the running joke about Iceman hitting up everyone he sees for rent money with the revelation that he already paid and just plum forgot about it.

Last edited by Octopus Prime; 04-10-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Promoted to Gabby Jay

I'm rewatching the '90s Spider-Man cartoon now and while I was searching for it on Netflix, I happened upon this series, which I had never heard of before. I have it on my list of things to watch simply out of blind loyalty to the franchise, but after your synopsis, this will make a fitting juxtaposition to the sorta-serious-for-kids Spider-Man I'm watching right now.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus prime View Post
we finally have closure on the running joke about iceman hitting up everyone he sees for rent money with the revelation that he already paid and just plum forgot about it.
AMAZING!a
Old 03-26-2013, 12:13 AM
i musnt run away

MOOOM! Octoprime's copying me and he's doing it better!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:00 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Firestar = Beavis' favorite superhero
Old 03-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Space Prez

This is the Spider-Man I grew up with. A proper John Romita Sr. Spider-Man. There is also a Spidey series that preceded this, sans Amazin' Friends, that is a little closer to the comic by which I mean it is not nearly as entertaining. Keep an ear out for the music, many of the background tracks were later used on other Marvel Animation shows like Transformers and G.I. Joe.

I don't know if it is the next episode but very soon there is one about an arcade cabinet that is struck by lightning and the video game character comes to life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
and because Mary Jane didn't have any super powers and was also never actually mentioned as existing
Yes! I only just figured this out last year. I also remember there being some controversy about a Fantastic Four cartoon that ditched Human Torch for some lame robot, presumably because kids would be setting themselves on fire or something. So Human Torch was a no-go, replaced with Iceman... bit then they add someone with fire powers anyway?? At least having Iceman gives them an excuse to team up with the X-Men.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Yes! I only just figured this out last year. I also remember there being some controversy about a Fantastic Four cartoon that ditched Human Torch for some lame robot, presumably because kids would be setting themselves on fire or something. So Human Torch was a no-go, replaced with Iceman... bit then they add someone with fire powers anyway?? At least having Iceman gives them an excuse to team up with the X-Men.
That's a popular misconception; Torch was removed from the 70s FF and replaced with HERBIE because Johnny was supposed to get his own series, and the producers didn't want to overdo it with him.

Also; if the 70s Fantastic Four was on Netflix, you can bet your bottom dollar I would be watching that instead.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I loved this show as a kid. From the sound of your first post, Octo I would love this show as an adult.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
That's a popular misconception; Torch was removed from the 70s FF and replaced with HERBIE because Johnny was supposed to get his own series, and the producers didn't want to overdo it with him.

Also; if the 70s Fantastic Four was on Netflix, you can bet your bottom dollar I would be watching that instead.
Saw a bit of it on Cartoon Network once. Not awful, for the time! Although they also had a standalone Thing cartoon where Ben transformed into Thing with a magic ring. Uh...not so faithful.

I remember there was a 90's Fantastic Four cartoon with Stan Lee voice overs. It seemed like they tried to stick to the comics similar to the Spidey one about the same time, but the animation seemed really horribly off model. Thing got it the worst, they f'ed up his head so badly.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Find Your Reason

My whole family absolutely LOVED the Amazing Friends cartoon during the 80s and early 90s, less because of the Spider-Man thing (though I admit Firestar was such a unique heroine back then she was easily my favorite superhero for a while) and more because it had an equally amazing Mexdub that inserted dozens and dozens of (local) pop culture references aimed at my parents. No joke, that show['s dub] is responsible for about half the injokes we crack among each other, and my girlfriend is now privy to half of those as well. For that, it shall have my eternal love.

Even if there was late-90s redub that was more accurate and faithful to the original, and was thus colorless and dull. I fear watching the US version because it might not have the zaniness I remember from my childhood.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:37 PM
There's no thread shortag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
My whole family absolutely LOVED the Amazing Friends cartoon during the 80s and early 90s, less because of the Spider-Man thing (though I admit Firestar was such a unique heroine back then she was easily my favorite superhero for a while) and more because it had an equally amazing Mexdub that inserted dozens and dozens of (local) pop culture references aimed at my parents. No joke, that show['s dub] is responsible for about half the injokes we crack among each other, and my girlfriend is now privy to half of those as well. For that, it shall have my eternal love.

Even if there was late-90s redub that was more accurate and faithful to the original, and was thus colorless and dull. I fear watching the US version because it might not have the zaniness I remember from my childhood.
I think the German dub was equally...colorful.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Panicking

I've still got "Seven Little Super-Heroes"* on VHS somewhere, and it's actually the only episode I've ever seen. You should do that one at some point!

*Featuring the likes of Captain America, Namor, Doctor Strange, and...Shanna the She-Devil? O-okay!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
I fear watching the US version because it might not have the zaniness I remember from my childhood.
It may not be the zany you remember but it is pretty damn zany on it's own.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Saw a bit of it on Cartoon Network once. Not awful, for the time! Although they also had a standalone Thing cartoon where Ben transformed into Thing with a magic ring. Uh...not so faithful.
Hey now, Japan had a live action Spider-Man show where he was some Power Rangers/Kamen Rider type superhero. He was even the one to start the trend of Japanese superheroes piloting giant mecha.

Quote:
I remember there was a 90's Fantastic Four cartoon with Stan Lee voice overs. It seemed like they tried to stick to the comics similar to the Spidey one about the same time, but the animation seemed really horribly off model. Thing got it the worst, they f'ed up his head so badly.
I'm pretty sure they had Iron Man and Incredible Hulk cartoons around that time, too. Considering they were syndicated shows, animation screwups aren't too surprising.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Find Your Reason

No lie: the standalone Thing shorts where a scrawny, nerdy Ben Grimm turned into the ever-lovin' Thing by smacking together his rings and going "Thing Rings, do your thing!" were the first time I ever saw the character, and it colored my views of him forever. I found it funny at that age, and the "Scooby Doo but with a sillier, funnier version of He-Man" atmosphere was far more interesting than either He-Man or Scooby Doo. Or the 60s Fantastic Four, for that matter.

Wasn't it paired up with some other 15-minute toon, though? Like the Shmoo, or Speedy Buggy?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Space Prez

Quote:

Wasn't it paired up with some other 15-minute toon, though? Like the Shmoo, or Speedy Buggy?
The New Fred and Barney Show, the combined show was called Fred and Barney Meet The Thing which later became Fred and Barney Meet The Shmoo.

Some days I wish Wikipedia didn't exist...
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
The New Fred and Barney Show, the combined show was called Fred and Barney Meet The Thing which later became Fred and Barney Meet The Shmoo.

Some days I wish Wikipedia didn't exist...
wait, what, how?

my brain is melting.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Mystery Contraption

Fred and Barney did not ever actually meet The Thing.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Fred and Barney did not ever actually meet The Thing.
Now it makes even less sense!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Now it makes even less sense!
What a revoltin' development!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Mystery Contraption

Hey kids, let's watch the first episode, now...

The Triumph of the Green Goblin

Written by Dennis Marks

As one might expect, this episode features long-time Spider-Man foe, The Green Goblin. It does not feature his triumph though, so the titles a bit misleading.

The episode opens with Spider-Man watching a car drive erratically through the rain, which he promptly decides to jump on top of, and then cover the windshield, because if they had trouble driving before, having Spider-Man on the hood would certainly help them. Luckily, it turns out that the drivers were actually jewel thieves, rather then, say, drunk. Or had lost control of their car. The thieves toss Spider-Man off the roof and then back up to run him over, Iceman shows up out of nowhere to build a loop-the-loop out of ice and wreck the car instead.

So, two minutes into the episode and Spidey has endangered two peoples lives and nearly been killed, and Iceman has saved Spider-Man by nearly killing those same people himself. I'm going to give the point to Iceman for being a very-slightly-less-awful superhero.

Oh, and Spider-Man just webs up the thieves and leaves them stuck to a light pole rather then alerting the cops because he is late for a date with his not-actual-girlfriend. I'm deducting a point from Spidey for that.

Spider-Man: -1
Iceman: 1

MEANWHILE IN THE SKY! A low flying plane is nearly struck by lightning, and who is in the plane by Norman Osborn; the alter-ego of the Green Goblin, who was just released from the insane asylum with a certificate of Sanity. So he immediately charters a private lane to take him away. During a thunderstorm, all the while raving about how good it feels to have all his eggs in one basket again. Which is kind of sending up all kinds of red flags for me, but then, they don't pay me to fly mental patients away from asylums...

As it would happen, the plane is immediately struck by lightning, and the pilot and Norman both jump out, though only Norman has a parachute, and as he lands the stress from having hopped out of a plane and being electrocuted causes him to go nuts again and The Green Goblin is back. In the comics, the Goblin was just a costume that Norman wore whenever he was feeling a bit... murder-y, but here he just... goes all Goblinny whenever he's stressed I guess. Whatever, I can accept that.

Weird that his clothing changes too though.

Back at the Spider-Friends apartment, we have our episode-required Adorable Hijinx courtesy of Peters aunt Mays pet dog, Ms. Lion, who has somehow put on a goblin mask and then frightened herself by looking in a mirror. Yes, it is Halloween and all the Spider-Friends are going to a costume party dressed as different superheroes; Firestar is dressed as Spider-Woman, Iceman is Captain America, NAMED FEMALE FRIEND is Medusa: Queen of the Inhumans, and Spider-Man is dressed... as... Spider-Man.

Even Aunt May thinks that Pete is being a damn fool.

The costume party itself is mostly an excuse to toss as many different superhero cameos as possible into a crowdscene as possible; of particular note is a skinny white guy as Luke Cage, Fat Vision and Namor the Submarine, which means that someone went to the costume party in speedos. There's also about five Spider-Mans, and about two Green Goblins.

Petes Spider-Sense starts going nuts, which he states out loud, which causes a some girl dressed as... Caveman-girl, I guess to start hitting on him. She's really attracted to guys in badly fitting Spider-Man costumes. Spidey leaves with her saying that there's trouble in the lab. Firestar is understandably upset that her maybe-boyfriend is leaving with a floozy, and that he left with a stupid excuse, so she immediately sets the floozy on fire. Well, she tosses enough steam at her to wreck her hair, costume and make-up at least.

It turns out that Spidey actually WAS going to the lab, despite his hasty stammering sounding like he was either trying to discretely announce he had to use the bathroom, or was expecting imminent make-outs. So Firestar gave the girl first degree burns for no good reason.

Firestar: -1

Also, the lab he was going to was in the OSCORP building, on the other side of town, where it turns out that the Green Goblin was pilfering the technology stored there. How he knew to go there isn't really ever explained, but the Goblin is ready for him and stuns him with a laser (?) and makes off with his Glider and Pumpkin bombs, he can't find the one thing he was robbing his own lab for; the serum that made him both Green and Goblinny.

The Goblin puts the frozen Spider-Man on an office chair, regales him with his origin (serum exploded on him, made him crazy, and green) and then put on his Future-Finder Cap (?) to reveal his ultimate goal: to use the Goblin serum to turn everyone in New York into a grotesque monster like him. Well, to turn all the dudes into grotesque monsters. All the women just turn green.

Back at the costume party it is revealed that the NAMED FEMALE FRIEND is actually Norman Osborns niece, and Firestar realizes that Spider-Man still ahsn't come back from his caveman-girl makeouts, so she decides he's probably in peril, and heads to the Oscorp labs herself. The Goblin hears her coming and opts to aim a canister of liquid nitrogen at the door, rigging it to spray on whoever walks through it.

It is AMAZING how much liquid nitrogen these villains have on hand at any given moment.

Firestar opens the door and the nitrogen is sprayed, but generates enough heat to cancel out the nitrogen AND unfreeze Spider-Man. It should be noted that Spidey was frozen by lasers, not ice. So Firestar has managed to set electricity on fire.... So that's one point for doing something that defies the laws of physics, and one more point for saving Spider-Man, and minus another one for Spidey for getting captured so easily in the first place.

Spider-Man: -2
Firestar: 2

Firestar and Spider-Man realize that the Goblin has gone after her niece because she alone MUST know where the Goblins Evil Superpowers Drug is. How everyone leaps to this conclusion is beyond me, but Firestar immediately runs off because lives are on the line, and SPider-Man sits there sulking that he wanted the dramatic exit.

Sigh, Spider-Man, I love ya, but GEEZ.

Spider-Man: -3

Meanwhile, outside, Iceman is walking NAMED FRIEND home while subtly hitting on her by asking if she would like to live somewhere beautiful, like Iceland, or somewhere hot, like Miami, Which I think may be subtle innuendo, when the Green Goblin appears and whisks her away. Iceman lets him because he figures is another guy in a Green Goblin costume, despite the fact that he is flying around on a bat-shaped hovercraft. Named Friend screams "noooooo" as she is forcefully abducted and Iceman cheerfully says that he'll talk to her later.

Spider-Man: -3
Iceman: -15

The rest of the Spider-Friends meet up with Iceman and call him an idiot, and opt to do what all the greatest superhero teams do when the going gets tough: Immediately go off and do entirely seperate things from one another; Spider-Man heads to the Oscorp Cereal factory, again, Iceman goes to a different Oscorp factory and Firestar goes to Named Friends apartment. Pete takes this moment to mention that the Goblins sinister plan is to make dudes uglier and ladies green.

At the Cereal Factory it is revealed that Named Friend, against all probability DID know where the Goblin serum was, and he now has it. Spider-Man arrives just in time to... fall into another trap that the Goblin had set up for him; this time being a giant metal box with Goblin faces, each of which having a slightly different gimmick designed to knock Spider-Man into a big chainsaw. Rather then waiting to be rescued, yet agin, Spidey just smashes the stupid thing with his bare hands. Then saves the Named Friend and destroys the Goblin serum.

Spider-Man: -2

The Goblin escapes after revealing that while everyone was busy standing around and waiting to be rescued, created enough serum to turn the entire planet into a monster, and heads off to dump the concoction into the city resevoir. Iceman shows up and freezes the entire lakesolid before the serum could disperse and Firestar removes it. Meanwhile, Spider-man fights the Goblin YET A THIRD TIME and this time crashes him into an electric power station which electrocutes all the Green out of him, and, as Norman Osborn again, he volunteers to go back to the insane asylum.

I'll give one point to each Spider-Friend for saving the day. But I am going to deduct another form Iceman for making fun of Norman Osborn for having a serious mental disability. Tact counts, Mr. Drake.

Firestar: 3

Last edited by Octopus Prime; 08-02-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:10 PM
Find Your Reason

Aside from the injokes, all I can remember about the Amazing Friends is that Bobby was an ass.

Looks like my memories are spot on!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Going On An Odyssey

Excellent. I've only seen a few episodes of this show, but it is absolutely wonderful. I can't wait for living video game monsters, Swarm, master of shouting his name with increasing volume, Australian Wolverine, and Firestar's origin story (it has to be seen to believed).
Old 07-18-2013, 10:39 AM
i musnt run away

I want more of this.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkpen View Post
I want more of this.
You and everyone else on this forum!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Mystery Contraption

And I keep meaning to watch more...

I am the WORST
Old 07-18-2013, 02:06 PM
borgn

Well now I want a henchman named Skeleton! That's pretty much the best Local Tough name.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Mystery Contraption

Actually, why don't I do that RIGHT NOW!

The Fantastic Mr. Frump
Written by Christy Marx

In which the Spider-Friends battle one of the most unstoppably powerful foes the Marvel Universe has ever seen, and also Dr. Doom shows up.

The episode opens with Dr. Doom performing what passes for an Evil Magical Rite on a Childrens Program form the early 80s on the top of the Haunted Mansion he built to serve as the Latverian Embassy in the middle of New York City. Which should tell you everything you need to know right away about Dr. Doom, in case you were not familiar with the man or his works. He stands on top of his Haunted Mansion for a bit and shoots at clouds and tells his assistant, Boris, to go fetch him a magical amulet that will grant Doom the POWER OF THE UNIVERSE. Boris, incidentally, is Dr. Dooms butler, and he dresses pretty much exactly like a Nineteenth Century European Aristocrat. He's great.

Boris goes right ahead and steals that amulet without any fuss whatsoever, from the Dinosaur Exhibit at the Natural History Museum (?). The Spider-Friends didn't show up at all save for Aunt May yelling at them to bring an umbrella.

Meanwhile, while Dr. Doom has been busy granting himself the POWER OF THE UNIVERSE, the Spider-Friends were at a Basketball game and are on their way home, just in time to meet the episodes true villain; Mr. Frump after he has been fired. And fired so badly that his former employer had picked him up and literally thrown him out the door. Peter recognizes Frump from when he used to run errands for Aunt May and then gives a half-hearted apology that he lost his job, and Firestar perkily says that she's sure his luck will turn around soon.

Sure would be wacky if Doom acquiring All The Power of The Universe had any impact on Mr. Frumps poor fortune, huh.

The Spider-Friends then decide to race back home and change into their costumes in the middle of the street, mainly because they don't give a flat-damn about keeping their identities secret, and Spidey barely go two feet before realizing that Dr. Doom is doing... something... and opt to fight him instead.

I mean, yes, he was doing something evil, but he didn't know that before clobbering him. Seriously, Spider-Man straight up says "I don't know what he's doing, but anything Doom's doing is worth UNdoing!". then knocking him off the roof. I'm deducting a point just for jumping to conclusions, you dink

Surprisingly absolutely nobody, Doom drops the amulet off the roof and it lands right on Mr. Frump, granting the mopey old sad-sack All the Power of the Universe.

At this point, Iceman and Firestar both realize that Spider-Man has been out of sight for more then eight seconds, so he's probably getting beaten up, so they rush off to find him and help fight Dr. Doom. Where they are promptly beaten senseless. DOOM does not care how dangerous his opponents are, he brings his A-Game to all his battles.

Frump, meanwhile, applies for another job and, when he tells his prospective employer to "Bug Off" he is slightly surprised to see the guy suddently turn into a beetle, and when he tells some annoying children to "go jump in a lake", they promptly attempt to drown themselves. Momma Frump didn't raise no fools, and he soon realizes that he is The Most Powerful Being in the Universe.

It should also be noted that after nearly murdering two children, and turning a man into an insect, he began to sneer with malice. And then manipulate the universe itself into giving him a free hot dog.

Back at the Doom fight, Doom has beaten Iceman with heatrays and freezes himself when Firestar does what she does best and SETS HIM ON FIRE. Seriously, watching Doom fight is like trying to win an "who would win in a fight" arguement with a seven year old.

Frumps still going around making his every whim come true (he went from "Hot Dog, please" to "GILDED CARRIAGE WITH MIGHTY STALLIONS" in one-wish flat) and then requests someone who would actually be his friend (it was a kitty named "Mabel").

Aww, it would be sweet if he hadn't just killed several people with petty insults.

Back at the HAUNTED MANSION, the astoundingly one-sided fight between Dr. Doom and several nincompoops is halted when Doom notices that the dramatic thunderstorm they were fighting in has suddenly become a land of Pretty Clouds and Rainbows and realizes that the Powers of the Universe have gone to some shmoe, and leaves the Spider-Friends alone for the moment. But not before using his armors weapons to incinerate some of the nice carpet that was replacing the sidewalks.

Frump has really weird tastes.

Finding Frump (or Frump summoned him, its not really clear which), Doom immediately starts toadying up to Lord Frump (as he now insists on being called), which means that Frump would feel obligated to use ALL THE POWER OF THE UNIVERSE to help Doom because he is a nice old man at this moment. And he opts to use his Cosmic Powers to summon up the Spider-Friends and kill them nice and proper for his new friend. Which he proceeds to do, and Frump and Doom share a hearty laugh.

Frump then decides to conjure forth Aunt May, since she was the only (non-cat) living thing to ever be nice to him. She is understandably upset to have been suddenly teleported across town and made witness to three dead Superheroes and a laughing wizard in Science-armor, so Frump revives them to make her happy. And takes away their powers, to make Doom happy. Also, despite lacking super-powers, Iceman is still a man made of ice and Spider-Mans webshooters stopped working despite there not being anything super about them.

Also, Frump has again upgraded his title to Lord Frump: Master of the Universe.

Frump also starts wishing for increasingly pointless things, like "All the Money in the World" and "a Super-Duper TV set" before Doom snaps at him and insists that he build a Colosseum so he could force the Spider-Friends to fight mythological creatures for his amusement.

Doom is a man with high ambitions.

After setting Genghis Khan, a Cyclops and Cerberus on fire frump gets bored and summons up the Weirdest Thing in the Universe, which is some kind of Lovecraftian monster mostly made up of tentacles. Aunt May reacts POORLY to being forced to watch while a Shuggoth eats the Spider-Friends and points out that Lord Frump: Master of the Universe is kind of a dick. Frump decides to set her mind to ease by turning into "Wonderfrump: The Most Powerful Superhero in the World" who promptly defeats the alien and then whisks Aunt May off to the sky.

Doom politely points out to the Spider-Friends that Frumps gone nuts and they should put their differences aside to save the world from him. The Spider-Friends agree because... it's not like they've been doing so well up until now.

Doom tricks Frump into reversing the amulets magic away from Frump and into himself. Because the spell took a couple minutes to kick in, the Spider-Friends break the amulet again denying Doom All the Power of the Universe and turning Frump back into an unemployed sadsack and all the people Frump accidentally killed are back to life and everyone forgets the whole thing happened.

A Happy Ending for Everyone!

Last edited by Octopus Prime; 08-02-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:26 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkpen View Post
I want more of this.
I didn't know this existed until today. Bless you blinkpen for bumping this thread

e: Christy Marx, the creator of Jem and the game designer of Conquests of Camelot?!?!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
I didn't know this existed until today. Bless you blinkpen for bumping this thread

e: Christy Marx, the creator of Jem and the game designer of Conquests of Camelot?!?!
Everyone has to start somewhere!

Tags
best threads , octo-good , thank you based god