The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 02-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Breath of Fur

SAI's line tool is nice. Too bad my trial expired and I've been too cheap and lazy to register it or sweet talk it.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:32 PM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic in other thread
I'm trying to make one of those typographical poster/prints you see everywhere that's just words in different fonts and colors. I'm going for a 1' by 1' square block to fill, I have a color scheme (F2D03B and 003056) already and the list of words. I just don't know what would be the piece of (free) software to use to make it in.

I was hoping Paint.net but there doesn't seem to be a way to rotate text once you type it in, or select it as a block of text, for that matter. I suppose I could put each word on a single layer and then try to rotate the word not as a word but as text. Anyway anyone have any ideas/recommendations?

Thanks
I always put each word in a separate layer when I work with type, which you can transform individually. It will make it a little easier to change it later. I'm going to guess you can control-click the type layer to select all the text on it, should save you some time. You can also nudge with the arrow keys, and should look into turning on rulers and creating guides so you can make alignments.

Does paint.net have a Type window you can turn on in the View or Windows menu? Where you can control letter spacing, kerning, line height, as well as the typeface, color, size and all that?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
I always put each word in a separate layer when I work with type, which you can transform individually. It will make it a little easier to change it later. I'm going to guess you can control-click the type layer to select all the text on it, should save you some time. You can also nudge with the arrow keys, and should look into turning on rulers and creating guides so you can make alignments.
I'll look into that thanks!

Quote:
Does paint.net have a Type window you can turn on in the View or Windows menu? Where you can control letter spacing, kerning, line height, as well as the typeface, color, size and all that?
no it does not. Which maybe means I need something with a little more power to it.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 PM
An Animal of Joy

Yeah, without those controls you're not going to be able to kern, which is going to probably be what you spend the most time on for this project. Illustrator would be the ideal of course, but searching for alternatives it looks like Inkscape is indeed the most recommended.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 PM
le petite mort

halp i wanna do a parody song and i am not a vocalist

but its a rap song so maybe its okay???

halp halp

Real talk: looking at soundproofing my closet.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Do we have a thread for talking about NES tile maps and trying to understand them?

Rom Hacking I guess?
Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Little Waves

I'd say either the general ROM hack thread, or start a new thread.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
I'd say either the general ROM hack thread, or start a new thread.
That's just what I was looking for!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:50 PM
This way up

Editing is fun, because it's a matter of tweaking solid verbiage to make good paragraphs into supremely excellent ones. First drafts are fun, because you can write long bouts of drawn-out meandering safe in the knowledge none of it needs to be cut down until the next draft.

It's the bits in the middle that are a slog, but I didn't have any middles to do today, so I'm pretty cheerful.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Banned

You thrilled at the manliness of the Bunglevoice on Festivi past, now behold his mighty song!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 PM
King Of Space-Time

teg haz an art blog.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
And all of it is beautiful!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Justice is my Middle Name

I'm working on another game
Old 09-19-2014, 03:03 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

I was posting a bit about the 3DS version of Petit Computer, on Miiverse --

-- when I realized, hey, I'm on Linux! I can code on my own computer!

Last time I wrote any code to a serious degree (unless SiON Music Macro Language counts) was years ago for an intro C++ course, where I at the end of the course we made a 3D wireframe program, and I went a bit extra to allow people to input coordinates for wire starts & ends in a text file.

So I downloaded g++ and made a "Hello world!" program. Whee!

I'm not sure I'll continue pursuing this in a serious amount, but I should probably dig out my old C++ textbook, just in case.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:28 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

With NaNoWriMo having started up again (four days ago, I guess?), maybe I need to do a NaNoCosMo to do as much costume/cosplay creation as possible.

... sure, I can say that "No" stands for "November" instead of "Novel."
Old 11-05-2014, 10:44 PM

What is the appropriate venue to seek commissioned work from members of TT? I'm working on a small game (mostly for academic purposes) and will need some graphical assets. I have some money I could dole out for such work if necessary!
Old 11-05-2014, 11:50 PM
Ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
What is the appropriate venue to seek commissioned work from members of TT? I'm working on a small game (mostly for academic purposes) and will need some graphical assets. I have some money I could dole out for such work if necessary!
It looks like this thread was created for just that purpose.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:44 PM
actually an eevee

Old 12-16-2014, 02:00 AM
Objection!

I know that this forum is mostly for the other arts, but I figured this was the best place:

Zoe Quinn just released a site to help people find resources for making their first (or second or third...!) game.

There's a few things I would have liked highlighted, but some of them don't have many resources for indie or hobbyist designers anyway (like strategy games), so I can't be upset. Still, though, a nice starter resource to help focus efforts.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:01 PM
Random guy

Anyone has ever attended one of the summer workshops at the Center for Cartoon Studies in Vermont? I heard of this today on a podcast, and I have to admit I find it somewhat tempting.

It's only 7 hours away from where I live by car, so this is something I could consider attending...
Old 01-26-2015, 09:51 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default You can do it! Keep at it!

Old 01-26-2015, 11:55 AM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I'm not planning to ever do this professionally, but I still think it would be nice to have professionals look at what I can do and tell me where I should focus my attention, what my issues, are, etc.

Anyway, the request for vacation time at work is already sent
Old 01-26-2015, 07:21 PM
fan of wet circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywatson View Post
Anyone has ever attended one of the summer workshops at the Center for Cartoon Studies in Vermont? I heard of this today on a podcast, and I have to admit I find it somewhat tempting.

It's only 7 hours away from where I live by car, so this is something I could consider attending...
I believe that's where Chu is going to school, perhaps ask her?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate or Die! View Post
I believe that's where Chu is going to school, perhaps ask her?
I thought Chu went to school in AZ?
Old 01-27-2015, 12:20 AM
Just bear with me

So... we got a special thread for Miiverse posts? Because I am all up on the Miiverse tip.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:16 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I thought Chu went to school in AZ?
No, she just lives here.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:57 AM
#deadfish2017

So my creative output is basically down to stupid sketches on lined paper during downtime at work. I took some valuable home time and busted out my tablet the other day. And it was so frustrating and I'm way out of practice. It sucked and I suck and art sucks. All I'm basically good for is shitty ballpoint pen sketches that are too big on twitter because I got to take pictures of them with my phone.

It's basically everything wrong to make shit art 101 but who cares it's not real work. Just doodles you know.

But then someone linked me this browser-based photoshop clone and I'm honestly kind of amazed that such a thing exists and works and works well. It doesn't do anything but it does a lot, and suddenly I have a way of polishing up these doodles a bit. Therefore like the most productivity I've done in months maybe years all in one go. Sorry for rambling I'm just super jazzed and energized. Here's a dump.

Some Island

Rungabul

Cleaned up an old clod

And the best guy

And this dork

A selfie

And that other place

There's still some kinks to iron out of the process but I'm pleased as punch I can make decent looking stuff at work.

Sorry for the dump.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:57 AM
fan of wet circles

Excellent stuff for being out of practice! The landscapes especially, I'd never know they're just doodles, they look fantastic.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:46 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywatson View Post

I went a few years ago when I was thinking of applying. It was fun! Not what I was looking for in a Master's degree, but as a workshop/retreat it was pretty great. You spend a few days making comics with other people who make comics, which is energizing. And they let you play around with different materials like a giant light table.

If nothing else it was worth going to discover that I love brush inking, and to get a couple snippets of inking advice from Stephen Bissette. The comic I made is here (made with technical pens, which I dropped soon after the retreat).
Old 02-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
I went a few years ago when I was thinking of applying. It was fun! Not what I was looking for in a Master's degree, but as a workshop/retreat it was pretty great. You spend a few days making comics with other people who make comics, which is energizing. And they let you play around with different materials like a giant light table.

If nothing else it was worth going to discover that I love brush inking, and to get a couple snippets of inking advice from Stephen Bissette. The comic I made is here (made with technical pens, which I dropped soon after the retreat).
I signed up a few weeks ago after my vacation was approved. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

In the meantime, I will see what I can do to improve my art.

Tags
not worth its own thread