The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-26-2010, 02:38 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Default Sherlock. A detective for the modern age.

So Steve Moffat's reinterpretation of Sherlock Holmes was on yesterday and was pretty great. Martin Freeman was a surprisingly good Watson and Benedict Cumberbatch was fantastic as Holmes. They obviously had to change bits to fit modernity. For instance, in the original Watson was pensioned off from the Army having got a bullet in Afghanistan. In this version he's pensioned off from the army having got shot in, er, Afghanistan. Funny how we seem to be fighting the same bloody war again.

We also got to meet Mycroft Holmes, who seems to be more important to this version of the story.

Basically Sherlock Holmes made the transition to the modern era pretty painlessly. Needless to say I'm looking forward the rest of the series. Did any Tyrants get to see it?
Old 07-26-2010, 02:40 PM
A No.1

I thought modern Holmes was just House, M.D.?

Also, what does this air on?
Old 07-26-2010, 02:42 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
British television.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:51 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
I thought modern Holmes was just House, M.D.?

BitTorrent.

I'm on hold on this one until I get a chance to watch it all in one shot, but as noted in the Unrelated Thread, I'm preternaturally geeked for it - Mark Gattiss, another Doctor Who writer / actor (the bad guy in "The Lazarus Experiment") is also on-board with Moffat. I want Moffat to pick out a different turn-of-the-century work every offseason and update it.

It did massive ratings yesterday in the UK - higher even than Top Gear with Cruise and Diaz, and I think higher than any of Doctor Who's World-Cup-diminished numbers this past season.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:59 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Mark Gatiss is also very good in it. Very good indeed.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Love and Peace

I'm really curious about this. "Jekyl" was pretty well done even though the TWIST ENDING was a bit of a groaner. Besides, it's (usually) pretty hard to totally screw up Sherlock Holmes.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:01 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
IBesides, it's (usually) pretty hard to totally screw up Sherlock Holmes.
(Starts humming the "Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century" theme...)
Old 07-26-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
BitTorrent.
Oh hey boo!

I thought we Talking Tyrants were all forthright and ever vigilant propertarians.

Honour thy copyright!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:24 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Oh hey boo!

I thought we Talking Tyrants were all forthright and ever vigilant propertarians.

Honour thy copyright!
Yeah, because we all wait the three weeks for Doctor Who.

Not to mention that downloading TV series is legal in Canada, so nyah nyah.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Orb Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
Benedict Cumberbatch
That's a real name?

/google

...Holy crap!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:05 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheana View Post
That's a real name?

/google

...Holy crap!
I originally put a (!) after it. Yeah, that's some name.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I couldn't resist and got through it last night.

Holy shit was that ever great.

I'll admit to being played by the swerve at the end - and, more importantly, that Moffat is apparently not characterizing Mycroft as ACD did, but rather as he's painted by Alan Moore in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.. Which was awesome. It passed Moffat's "that's really clever..." test from moment one, updating Watson's origin so cleverly that I'm stunned I didn't make the connection going in. I'm sure that the more hardcore fans will be pissed at the diagnosis of Holmes as a high-functioning sociopath, but, well, that's pretty much always been the diagnosis I'd give him (same as Batman, really).

TONS of great lines, as well. The "judging by the state of your knees..." line was the best of the lot, but there were too many to count.

Quote:
"She was writing Rachel?"
"No, she was leaving an angry message in German. Of course she was writing Rachel."
I was a bit upset that they're bringing up Moriarty so early, but I can give them that little bit of dalliance since they've only got three stories to play around with.

Interestingly, Matt Smith apparently auditioned for Watson, but was rejected because he was playing him too much like Holmes. And the entire time I was watching Cumberbatch's Holmes, I was thinking "he's slipping into sounding like Matt Smith's Doctor."

Last edited by Sven; 07-27-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:04 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Yeah, exactly. I don't think it'll stop at three episodes though - if it doesn't get a second (hopefully longer) series then there's absolutely no justice. The thing about Sherlock Holmes is the only reason that it's set in the late 19th century is that's when it was written. There's nothing really in the characters or setting that require it to stay there.

So brilliant. Can't wait for next week's episode.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:23 PM

Is it my imagination, or are they using the exact music from the Downey/Law movie?

Also: Holmes looks way too young.

Also, all I could think about the final setup was Princess Bride. And I'm betting they were both "bad". Or both "good"; possibly some kind of medication that was alright for him, but fatal to others? Who knows...
Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 AM
grab me some popcorn

I had not heard this was a thing until today and all of it has been positively raving. I'm checking this out as I type.

Edit: wow that was really good. Er did not expect to see so much modern day tech stuff written seamlessly into the story in a way that worked so well.

Last edited by tungwene; 07-28-2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:58 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunix View Post
Is it my imagination, or are they using the exact music from the Downey/Law movie?

Also: Holmes looks way too young.
Yeah, the music was actually my big complaint now that I think about it - it was too reminiscent of stuff you'd normally hear associated with Holmes, and may have been the same stuff exactly (I haven't watched the movie since the week the BR came out).

As for Holmes' age... he's supposed to be in his early 30s at the time of the first stories, so Cumberbatch is about right for it - he's 34. Remember, Holmes is still taking classes at the time of the first story - Watson's first description of him is that he's a "student."
Old 07-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

I kind of wish the ending had been a little different either having Sherlock pick the "bad" one, both of them be bad, or something, that made Watson actually have to save him, instead of it being a maybe. Also, kinda callous how little Watson seemed to care about shooting someone.

Still, I highly enjoyed it, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next episode. I enjoyed the music, but I haven't really watched much of the Sherlock Holmes series in general, so that's probably why it didn't bother me. I really enjoyed how they showed off all the deductions, they did a much better job than how most procedurals end up doing it.

I love how Sherlock compares with Moffat's version of the Doctor actually, they're both incredibly similar, but Sherlock is kind of the Doctor without any of the empathy.

Regardless, I need to buy this when it hits DVD, since it's really that good.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

That was really great. Really, really great.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:25 AM
A No.1

Alright so Girlfriend and I watched this because I got her all excited about it. It was way longer than I thought it was, but it zipped by anyway. Really, really enjoyed it.

Quote:
TONS of great lines, as well. The "judging by the state of your knees..." line was the best of the lot, but there were too many to count.
Yeah, that one was definitely the best among tons of great lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
Edit: wow that was really good. Er did not expect to see so much modern day tech stuff written seamlessly into the story in a way that worked so well.
That's probably my favorite thing about it. And - dumb as this sounds - it kind of reminded me of Crank of all things, the way it has no problem throwing sparse graphics or odd half-transitions into the mix like it's no big deal. Very much a fan of that.

Quote:
As for Holmes' age... he's supposed to be in his early 30s at the time of the first stories, so Cumberbatch is about right for it - he's 34. Remember, Holmes is still taking classes at the time of the first story - Watson's first description of him is that he's a "student."
Even so, he looks considerably younger than that. I loved his Holmes, but his baby face still kind of bothered me.

Watson, on the other hand, was pretty great. It took me a few minutes to even realize it was Tim from The Office!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:09 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Watson, on the other hand, was pretty great. It took me a few minutes to even realize it was Tim from The Office!
Arthur Dent, too.

And, yeah, it's three 90-minute mini-movies... and when they say "90 minutes" in the UK, they damn well MEAN 90 minutes.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:24 PM
I Cuss You Bad

When it's the BBC we do. I really liked Watson's brittleness. Very well done.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:43 PM
grab me some popcorn

[
Quote:
Cumberbatch looks really young for his age. I'd guessed him to be in his mid 20s. Color me surprised. Didn't mind how young I thought he'd looked since it worked with the disdain the cops where showing him since at least they were being jerks because it looked like some kid was sticking his nose in their case.

Quote:
Arthur Dent, too.
I knew Watson looked familiar. I just hadn't been able to place him.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
three 90-minute mini-movies
I'm not sure 90 minutes counts as a 'mini' movie. That's feature length.

Anyway, a smart adaptation of A Study In Scarlet, although having read it recently I did see the twists coming. It was probably sensible changing the motivation, too, because the original concerns itself with a truly torturous revenge plot involving Mormons back when Mormons were exciting and foreign.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merus View Post
I'm not sure 90 minutes counts as a 'mini' movie. That's feature length.

Anyway, a smart adaptation of A Study In Scarlet, although having read it recently I did see the twists coming. It was probably sensible changing the motivation, too, because the original concerns itself with a truly torturous revenge plot involving Mormons back when Mormons were exciting and foreign.
A Study in Scarlet also sucked.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
A Study in Scarlet also sucked.
Look, you can't invent an entire genre and make it so it holds up countless iterations later. Exotic Mormons were par for the course back then. You had to come up with some reason why someone would murder another in England, home of the English, and the best way to do that is to be scandalous about the impropriety of foreigners.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:40 PM
grab me some popcorn

I just started reading A Study in Scarlett this morning because I'd not read it before. Now you guys are making me not want to read anymore.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:11 AM
I Cuss You Bad

A Study In Scarlet isn't that good - you can tell it's the first Holmes story as it's a bit experimental. Half of it doesn't have Holmes or Watson in it and takes place in America. As has been discussed, it's not exactly friendly to Mormons, either.

There are some websites for the series, as you'd expect:

John Watson's blog.

The Science of Deduction.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
How do I delete this is a wonderful blog post.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:21 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merus View Post
Look, you can't invent an entire genre and make it so it holds up countless iterations later. Exotic Mormons were par for the course back then. You had to come up with some reason why someone would murder another in England, home of the English, and the best way to do that is to be scandalous about the impropriety of foreigners.
True, but the story's structurally horrible - Holmes all but solves the case, and then it spends another equal length of text talking about said exotic Mormons with no sign of Holmes. When I first read it for a "reading diary" assignment in Grade 8, I think my diary entry for the first part of the Mormon stuff was "did I get a misprinted book?"

tungwene: Read it until you get a very strange scene in the States, then skip to the last couple of pages. The next couple of stories are really good, however.

I kind of guessed that Watson would wind up blogging about his adventures with Holmes - it's the logical modernisation. It's interesting how easily Watson moves into modern times, what with Afghanistan being a military theatre again and his style of recounting events being exactly what bloggers do.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
I just started reading A Study in Scarlett this morning because I'd not read it before. Now you guys are making me not want to read anymore.
Three of the four novels have long flashback sections where Holmes and Watson are absent. Doyle found it hard to write long Holmes stories because his detective was so damn good at what he did. Reading the short stories is probably the best introduction - "The Red-Headed League", "The Speckled Band", "Silver Blaze", "A Scandal in Bohemia", etc.

On the other hand, I re-read A Study in Scarlet earlier this month and had a great time with it. It's short and sweet, and the American sections aren't terribly long.