The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 AM
I. Love. It.

So I've missed this series completely until now and I just recently blew through the first two seasons on Netflix (I'm guessing season 3 will take awhile to show up there) and I'm loving it quite a bit.

Boy, Martin Freeman is really good at playing 'the put-upon everyman being led around by a world that just likes to fuck with him' isn't he? Between this and Arthur Dent and Bilbo Baggins, I'd say he's getting typecast. Not that I mind too much, as I said, he's really good at it.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:43 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

From all reports, Freeman is excellent in the new Fargo series, too. He's found his niche, as opposed to being typecast.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:16 AM
It's all good, man

Well. How about that.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:35 AM
#deadfish2017

It was stupid and the stylistic flourishes were over the top and empty and also it was stupid and when did sherlock stop solving mysteries
Old 01-03-2017, 09:37 AM
It's all good, man

Yeah mysteries are dope.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:48 AM
#deadfish2017

all this military conspiracy shit I mean really
Old 01-03-2017, 09:51 AM
whatever it takes

Sounds like I made the right call in bailing on this show at the end of S3.

JOIN ME
Old 01-03-2017, 09:51 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
It was stupid and the stylistic flourishes were over the top and empty and also it was stupid and when did sherlock stop solving mysteries
... about fifty minutes in...?

This one really suffered from the 90-minute format - it would've worked better with the two story elements shuffled into their own 45-minute episode, I think.

(When's the last one that was a full-episode case? The Season 3 premiere? The wedding episode was a few different cases stuffed together, and the last three episodes have all been more crime drama than mystery)
Old 01-03-2017, 09:57 AM
It's all good, man

The problem is that writing a mystery that tops what you've done before and holds up to scrutiny and works for the Sherlock character and doesn't feel like a retread is an incredibly difficult task and the drama conspiracy crap is all that's left. This should probably be the last season and frankly the Victorian special already should have been the end of it.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:06 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

And, worse yet, writing a mystery that has enough twists to fill a 90-minute episode is much, much harder.

(I did appreciate Toby showing up.)

I think there's still life in the show, but I don't think the steps they'd have to take to keep it going (tone things down deliberately) would work for the audience they've cultivated.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:38 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I went back and watched "The Blind Banker" last night. Ho-lee shit, this show has changed a bunch in terms of structure in six years. Much more of a modernised take on Doyle than what it's been recently.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:54 PM
Goodbye!

Honestly, my interest in the show started dwindling at around the time Watson's wife is revealed as a super spy assassin. I think that really illustrated the problem with this version for me: Moffatt loves him some "great man" stories. I'm not going to call him a Randian, but I think his weakspots are similar - eventually, the world that is required to support the greatness of these great men has to divorce from our own and shows the flimsiness of the fantasy. The notion that OF COURSE Watson fell in love with someone who is secretly an amoral agent of incredible power and influence is an incredibly creepy and disturbing take on what constitutes greatness.

Last edited by KCar; 01-08-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:34 PM
Bertolli?!?...

The only time that this episode (the premiere) surprised me was when it was disappointing. The entire second half just felt... off.

Also, I was convinced that Sherlock was taunting her to get her to shoot him for some reason and had something up his sleeve, but no, he was apparently just being stupid.

But let's contrive a reason for Sherlock and Watson to be at odds, because that's new.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:56 AM
Highway To HFIL

I'm honestly surprised at how bad this episode was. Even the less good ones, in the past, have still been a fun time for me. This one was just... ugh.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:54 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
Honestly, my interest in the show started dwindling at around the time Watson's wife is revealed as a super spy assassin.
Yeah. Mary, pretty much everything about her, really pushed the limits of believability and melodrama, and this season's premiere just tanked it right off the deep end. Oh no, she died stupidly for no reason and now Watson is mad at Sherlock and he's going to be lonely or some shit. So not only did they put a (dare I say) Mary Sue character in as a love interest for Watson to contrive some clichéd fanfiction-level melodrama, then they went ahead and straight-up fridged her for an even more contrived even more melodramatic split between Watson and Sherlock. Ugh.

Pull your heads out of your asses and give us Mysteries and Moriarty you fucking wankers
Old 01-08-2017, 04:16 PM
I Cuss You Bad

I wasn't a fan of last week

This week, holy shit
Old 01-08-2017, 04:26 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
I wasn't a fan of last week

This week, holy shit
good holy shit?

or bad holy shit?
Old 01-08-2017, 04:31 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
good holy shit?

or bad holy shit?
I'm not a fan of Gatiss at the best of times. This episode is not Gatiss. It's a proper case, for one. I don't want to say much more as knowing anything may detract from the experience except for one thing: the villain is blatantly Jimmy Savile with a different paraphilia.

Very good holy shit, basically
Old 01-10-2017, 07:45 AM
It's all good, man

I almost, but don't quite believe that Sherlock was too focused on specific details to notice he was spending the night in the company of his sister.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:40 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I gave them a small pass simply because it's never REALLY been established if his observational skills actually take a hit due to the drugs.

The fun of this, aside from the ending, was seeing exactly how they'd get to the situation from The Dying Detective. I thought it was a good modern take on the story, all in all.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I almost, but don't quite believe that Sherlock was too focused on specific details to notice he was spending the night in the company of his sister.
We also don't know the last time he saw her. She wasn't at the family party, so something's gone on.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:57 AM
Bertolli?!?...

That was... better. Certainly an improvement over the premiere, at any rate, but I feel like that's owed almost solely to having a really good villain, performed well. Everything else about the episode I could take or leave.

I did feel a little stupid about not noticing that the therapist and the daughter were obviously the same actress.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:37 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I did feel a little stupid about not noticing that the therapist and the daughter were obviously the same actress.
Same here. Given how well they hid her as Watson's side chick, I'm surprised that they didn't try something more devious there.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:59 AM
Out Of Warranty

Disclaimer: problematic fridging aside, I did like The Six Thatchers. Sure, military stuff is a bit boring, but I was willing to overlook that as long as it wasn't the entire season, and I did like Sherlock's smugness backfiring on him, for once.

But the second episode was so much better. This is the series getting back to its game, and yeah, most of it is because Evil* Serial Killer Trump was a great villain, but this series has always depended quite a bit on those. I would have liked it even if it didn't have the twist ending. And as Sven said, it was a good adaptation of the original story - even knowing how the original unfolds doesn't spoil the unfolding of the plot.

Also, Ms. Hudson is still the most underappreciated character in the entire series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Same here. Given how well they hid her as Watson's side chick, I'm surprised that they didn't try something more devious there.
Would you say.... It was hidden in plain sight?

(I didn't notice anything amiss because I'm awful at faces)

* I understand this might be a redundant adjective.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:40 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Also, Ms. Hudson is still the most underappreciated character in the entire series.
Yup. Although I thought we knew she was rich from her drug dealing ex-husband long before this past episode...?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:11 AM
100% All Original

Y'all just need to join me in my enlightened realization that Elementary is better.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:35 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Well, there was melodrama. But Eurus was worth the wait.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:33 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I think that it was structurally an odd episode (two very distinct parts), and the second half was a bit of an odd way to go out if that was indeed the finale. I don't think viewers were THAT invested in the Holmes family drama, and the reveal was really out of nowhere. And did they ever establish exactly how Mycroft (or whomever) erased Sherlock's memories of his sister and his best friend?

(With that said: YAY MYCROFT WAS FAT.)

Really, it should have been written to where they didn't need that final DVD to tie everything together - I'd have rather ended it with Watson's blog being the narrative device, since that's been the underlying voice of the show the entire time.

(The very last shot was also strange. Was the Baker Street storefront unavailable?)

My favourite scene was the one where they figured out the implications of the bomb in the flat. That was really well played, and showed a good deal of balance for Sherlock / Watson / Mycroft.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Out Of Warranty

The final episode works as long as you buy the bit that once there was somebody named Holmes who thought INT was so important he used WIS and CHA as his dumping stats - and then his siblings did the same. Since that has always been my favorite version of Sherlock Holmes, I'm fine with it.

My main issue with this episode is that it is too fast. Here, something happens with these characters that is going to affect them, but we have no time to linger in the consequences because we have to get you to the next twist and/or shock! For example, the scene with Molly was simply devastating and yet we never get to follow through what happens after.

All in all, I liked it, but I did find it more than a bit frustrating. Too many steep turns in this ride, not enough lows to let you rest and take it all in... but what a ride!
Old 01-17-2017, 02:00 PM
This Guy

It's a hard episode to get into because it forces the viewer to accept a several preposterous premises before it gets to the good stuff. The good stuff, most notably the performers, is still really good, but his show seems caught in a trap of always trying to go bigger when it is most effective doing the opposite. I'll watch Cumberbatch in most things and absolutely anything with Martin Freeman and this episode gave me enough of them that I enjoyed it, but it in no way made any damn sense.