The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-11-2017, 01:52 PM
New Video World is out!

Quote:

Switch-up!

Happy New Year, loam lords! This year we have big plans for Shovel Knight! There’s a lot of news, so let’s dig in! Announcement time!

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove and Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment will be released for Nintendo Switch!

Wow, Switch! Awesome, Specter of Torment! But wait? What’s Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove?! We don’t have time to explain quite yet…we have even more announcements!

Body Swap Mode for Shovel Knight will launch simultaneously with Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment!

Body Swap Mode is complete and will be included for Shovel Knight’s campaign!! Get ready for sprites and illustrations of all-new designs for body-swapped versions of the main characters as the release draws closer. To get you primed, here’s your first look at body-swapped Shovel Knight and Shield Knight!!

Shovel Knight two player co-op will be available for all consoles!!

Finally!! After many requests! Grab a friend and rejoice! Local two player co-op in Shovel Knight’s campaign is coming as a free update to all console and PC platforms (3DS/Vita not included). amiibo not required!

Introducing Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove

Back to the main story! Soon, the game you now know as Shovel Knight will become Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove. When that happens, you’ll also have new options to purchase each campaign as separate, standalone games on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC/Mac/Linux, and Nintendo Switch:

Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope – Shovel of Hope is our new name for the original Shovel Knight game, since it needed a title like the others. What do you think!? Rewatch the adventure here.

Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows – Plague Knight’s Campaign emerges from the Shadows to hopefully get some recognition this time! Watch it all here.

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment – Specter of Torment is our most expansive campaign yet. We’re so excited for you to become the reaper! See Specter Knight in action here.

Later in 2017 the following will release (names TBD):

Shovel Knight: King Knight’s Campaign – A crazy campaign with the gilded goob himself!

Shovel Knight: Battle Mode – Duel with up to 4 players as your favorite heroic or villainous knight! (3DS/Vita not included)

Why is this happening? Well, we hope providing less expensive standalone versions will provide better entry points for different types of players! Also, players can more easily grab an adventure (or Battle Mode) on another platform!

All owners of Shovel Knight on all platforms will automatically own Shovel Knight:Treasure Trove instead and will continue to get each of the planned free campaigns and features via updates. It will work exactly like how Shovel Knight was updated to include its first campaign addition, Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows. Don’t worry!

In the spring, we will be raising the price of Shovel Knight. If you haven’t picked up Shovel Knight yet and want all the content included within Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, buy it now before the price increases this Spring! Or pick a selection of the standalone versions for a cheaper price!

Don’t forget King Knight’s very own campaign and the 4-player Battle Mode are still on the horizon for 2017. As described above, they will become available as standalone games on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC/Mac/Linux, and Nintendo Switch and will also be delivered as free updates to Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove. Look forward to more news on these in the future!

All Your Questions!

We understand all the news might leave you a bit puzzled. If you have any question, let us know and we’ll continue to update this page:

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove Q&A

Switch-up!

Whew, that’s a lot of news in the new year! Standalones! Specter of Torment on Switch! Body Swap so soon! Co-op everywhere! Keep your eyes peeled as we’ll be taking a deep dive into all of the upcoming content.

Hope you’re excited for another big year for Shovel Knight! We’re ecstatic to show everyone all the exciting stuff we’ve been working on here!
Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Mystery Contraption

Wow, that's a shocking redesign for Shovel Knight!
Old 01-11-2017, 02:00 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Neat. I think Female Shovel Knight is a bit overly dainty, but I'm pleased that her helmet is still down (and male Shield's is still up).
Old 01-11-2017, 02:01 PM
Love and Peace

I wondered for a while if the Knight campaigns were going to end at the Kickstarter-backed Knights, and now I'm certain that each Knight will be getting one. Eventually. For a price.

Which is great! The free campaigns have had an insane amount of content, so I would like to see YCG continue to stay out of the poorhouse while providing more fun.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Hmm, I might have to pick up the Vita version while it's cheaper just to have a portable version around. Or maybe I'll pick it up on Switch, if I end up getting one at launch.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:37 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

What the hell is a Vita?
Old 01-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Mystery Contraption

Brand of vitamin water, I think
Old 01-11-2017, 03:37 PM
?!

This marks the first and possibly only time in my life that I'm happy a developer is raising the price of their game. The quantity and quality of the free content they were making available was ridiculous.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:41 PM
concern troll

I was going to buy it on steam so I'd have another copy and low and behold I already did that at some point!

Shit, maybe I'll buy a THIRD copy for the switch!
Old 01-11-2017, 04:32 PM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
I wondered for a while if the Knight campaigns were going to end at the Kickstarter-backed Knights, and now I'm certain that each Knight will be getting one. Eventually. For a price.
But what will they do when they get to Treasure Knight? It's already called Treasure Trove!
Old 01-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Little Waves

So Gender Swap has been renamed "Body Swap." I still wonder what the point is, but at least female Shovel Knight is wearing pants.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:53 PM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
So Gender Swap has been renamed "Body Swap." I still wonder what the point is, but at least female Shovel Knight is wearing pants.
Probably because anything to do with gender, including writing the word "gender", is kind of a minefield. Even writing it in quotes just then has effectively declared open season on me.

Anyway, Shovel Knight:
Old 01-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Probably because anything to do with gender, including writing the word "gender", is kind of a minefield.
Yeah, that's clear. More of a question is what the point of the mode is in the first place. If the characters swap genders, what difference could or should that make? Their sprites as-is are indistinct enough they could just swap their pronouns, but Yacht Club could have made that an option at launch if they wanted.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Unreleased Beta Version

It amuses me that a previously un-subtitled adventure now has a "Hope" subtitle. Sounds... familiar.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:08 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Brand of vitamin water, I think
Well Coke makes Vitamin Water, so maybe this is Pepsi's version? I Googled "Vita" but nothing came up.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:13 PM
me want the puyopuyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
This marks the first and possibly only time in my life that I'm happy a developer is raising the price of their game. The quantity and quality of the free content they were making available was ridiculous.
Really makes me wonder how the thread got this far without the "shovel ware" tag
Old 01-11-2017, 05:13 PM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Yeah, that's clear. More of a question is what the point of the mode is in the first place. If the characters swap genders, what difference could or should that make? Their sprites as-is are indistinct enough they could just swap their pronouns, but Yacht Club could have made that an option at launch if they wanted.
Misunderstood, sorry
Old 01-11-2017, 05:23 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Really makes me wonder how the thread got this far without the "shovel ware" tag
There was some concern about heaping the pile too high.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:30 PM
Love and Peace

I originally assumed that Body Swap mode was a spoiler-free way of saying Shield Knight Mode, back before the game was released. Now, I guess it's a mode to show off some genderswapped sprites?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Jump and shoot?

If they actually do this for every Knight, I think this game just won videogames forever.

I'm tempted to say they already did.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 PM
me want the puyopuyon

really curious what the hell the names for the king and tinker knight modes will be
Old 01-11-2017, 06:15 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
What the hell is a Vita?
something too good for this fallen world
Old 01-11-2017, 06:21 PM
>TRANCE

• Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope
  • Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows
  • Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
  • Shovel Knight: King of Fighters
  • Shovel Knight: Treasure of Friendship
  • Shovel Knight: Mole of Hole
Old 01-11-2017, 06:25 PM
120 Days

Polar Knight mode or gtfo
Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Highway To HFIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
really curious what the hell the name for the tinker knight mode will be
Mega Man X
Old 01-11-2017, 06:31 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcoon View Post
  • Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope
  • Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows
  • Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
  • Shovel Knight: King of Fighters
  • Shovel Knight: Treasure of Friendship
  • Shovel Knight: Pole of the North
  • Shovel Knight: Tinkerer of Madness
  • Shovel Knight: Propeller of Fancy
Old 01-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Outer Spacean

I am down with all these things. God, Yacht Club is a saint in a sea of DLC villainy in this industry.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:48 PM
This Guy

I am genuinely glad for the chance to buy Shovel Knight again for the Switch. Playing the WiiU version that I kickstarted at the lowest level feels kind of like committing a crime.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:26 PM

Here's the Yacht Club annoucement webpage madhair quoted if his copy/pasted version doesn't fit correctly on your screen.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Conquers the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcoon View Post
Shovel Knight: You Gotta Pay the Troll Toll to Get Into the Mole Hole

Tags
aharddays knight , butt butt , butt mode , dig in! , justice in spades , mobile gear?! , now with plague knight! , prime thy potions , propeller rats , shield butt , shovel knight , shovel ware , shovelry , stay thy fork , strike the earth , who asked for battletoads , yacht club