The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 10-25-2015, 12:30 PM
Gesundheit!

Food processors are more for chopping food into chunks, and immersion blenders are for gooifying it into a smooth paste, like a regular blender, but handheld. It really depends on what you're aiming to cook, but they're both useful.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:17 PM
We just don't know.

Immersion blenders are best for soups and stews, like pea or lentil or squash soup that you want to make smooth. Food processors are more for like throwing in a whole onion and cloves of garlic and fine-chopping them to save yourself time cutting stuff up. They're very different tools, I'd say.

Neither are particularly good for shakes, though the immersion would be better for them, so you're okay there.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:31 PM
Safe Space

Is my cast-iron pan going to be okay if it has a little rust on the bottom (i.e. the bottom that's in contact with the heating element, not the cooking surface)?
Old 10-25-2015, 11:21 PM
actually an eevee

yeah, just make sure you dry it off it you need to wash it.

I have used soap on my cast iron when it was called for. I don't regret it. Still smooth as a baby's butt.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:27 AM

Cool. Think I'm gonna wind up seeing how much cash is left after paying a few bills, and then pick up an immersion blender, food processor, and probably the cheapest rice cooker of the ones I saw at Aeon. I might actually take a look at the electronics/appliances store near work sometime, but Aeon's closer to where I live.

I do just enough vegetable chopping that a food processor would be good for like, turning carrots/onions into small diced up bits for a stew, especially now that it's finally colder weather. And the immersion blender might at least get me to do stuff like smoothies in the spring/summer for breakfast.

Still really want a mandoline. I mean, it's what I had in my head as the kind of slicing tool I wanted several months ago, before I even knew it was called a mandoline. But that'd be just about perfect for most of my food prep needs.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:05 AM
Gesundheit!

I actually didn't know that about cleaning cast iron. I hope I haven't seriously fucked up my Dutch oven, but it seems to be working fine ...

Mandolines are awesome, but be careful!! I nicked my finger a couple of times in just my first week of ownership.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:28 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
I actually didn't know that about cleaning cast iron. I hope I haven't seriously fucked up my Dutch oven, but it seems to be working fine ...
I used to use soap on my cast iron, but it was so hard to use enough to clean without removing the seasoning. Despite Lady's luck, Just Don't Do It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Mandolines are awesome, but be careful!! I nicked my finger a couple of times in just my first week of ownership.
I'm actually scared to use mine now because of the mishaps I've had with it. Can anyone recommend a really good one? We had done some research before getting ours, but despite supposedly having a hand guard, I think ours is kind of crap.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
I'm actually scared to use mine now because of the mishaps I've had with it. Can anyone recommend a really good one? We had done some research before getting ours, but despite supposedly having a hand guard, I think ours is kind of crap.
We have this one, but it doesn't have any safety features other than the uh, pokey grabber thing. Which we never use.

This reminds me, we need to get it sharpened soon.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:39 PM
actually an eevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
I used to use soap on my cast iron, but it was so hard to use enough to clean without removing the seasoning. Despite Lady's luck, Just Don't Do It.
I attribute it to being Heirloom Organic Cast Iron.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:05 AM
Gesundheit!

It looks like mine is actually porcelain enamel on cast iron, so I'm OK with soap, according to the manufacturer's website. Whew!
Old 12-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Best Buy has a Kitchenaid Professional 5 listed for $200, which is the cheapest I've seen for a non-refurbished model.

We've been debating getting a stand mixer for over a year so I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this. I have a small hand mixer right now that has died/overheated when I've tried to make dough with it so I want something stronger for sure. But $200 is still a lot so I really want to be sure this is what I need.

For those of you who have stand mixers, any advice? The amount of attachments is nuts, any you'd recommend? I definitely want one of the flex-edge things that scrapes the bowl automatically.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:04 PM
King Of Space-Time

Pull the trigger. If you bake a lot, it's an investment.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:55 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Crud. Took too long to think about it and it's gone. Now I'm sure I want it next time I see a price drop, though.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:46 AM
King Of Space-Time

It's about $60 more but hey, bang bang
Old 12-30-2016, 09:09 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I've started using a Ninja blender that my cousin somehow managed to extract from his ex-wife during their divorce. I guess the choice was either he got the Ninja or he got their Kitchenaid, and the ex-wife chose the latter. I just didn't know he had the Ninja until my mother and her sisters came out for an early Christmas a few weeks ago, and one of my aunts spotted it in a random cupboard when I was preparing to blend together a pumpkin cheesecake filling by hand.

Works pretty good, though I just hit pulse for a few seconds a few times instead of just running it on a setting to blend things.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:54 AM
Unreliable Narrator

I bought a Pro 5 Plus for $225 back in August. Those things go on sale all the time (and may come back in stock) so keep checking.

Different models have different accessories and some are made of more metal and less plastic, so always check which model is on sale.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:03 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
It's about $60 more but hey, bang bang
Nice! It looks like Target dropped theirs to $230 so I'm going to go by there are look at them today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
I bought a Pro 5 Plus for $225 back in August. Those things go on sale all the time (and may come back in stock) so keep checking.

Different models have different accessories and some are made of more metal and less plastic, so always check which model is on sale.
How do you like that model? And good to know, thanks.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Love and Peace

I love my Kitchenaid Mixer so much. The default paddle is fine for making things like cake or cookies, but if you make bread or buns on a regular basis, you'll also want a dough hook (mine came with the total package, so yours probably will too.)

Just a quick word of warning: The bowl and "pouring shield" are dishwasher safe, but the mixers and attachments aren't. I ruined a paddle because I thought I could get away with putting it up with the glasses, away from the heating element. I got what I deserved for being lazy that day.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Unreliable Narrator

We got our mixer shortly after my wife took a class to make macarons. She couldn't figure out why the meringue was turning gray. Turns out our mixing bowl was coated in some kind of metal polish from the factory and we had to intensively scrub it to fix it. So test it by rubbing it with paper towels before you put any baking stuff in it!
Old 01-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
Just a quick word of warning: The bowl and "pouring shield" are dishwasher safe, but the mixers and attachments aren't. I ruined a paddle because I thought I could get away with putting it up with the glasses, away from the heating element. I got what I deserved for being lazy that day.
What happened to your paddle? I'm pretty sure ours has been through the dishwasher several times and was fine. It seems like it's made of ceramic? Then again we don't even have a pouring shield, so we probably have a different model from yours.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:24 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
What happened to your paddle? I'm pretty sure ours has been through the dishwasher several times and was fine. It seems like it's made of ceramic? Then again we don't even have a pouring shield, so we probably have a different model from yours.
It can make the ceramic chip. Ours has some hairline cracks and a chip from going through the washer.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:54 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

for those looking at stocking your kitchens, check out The Sweet Home, the home goods oriented sister site of The Wirecutter. The give you what they consider to be the best-in-class kitchen items by category, and also give splurge and budget option recommendations. I pretty much don't buy anything anymore without at least taking a gander at their recommendations.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:11 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
It can make the ceramic chip. Ours has some hairline cracks and a chip from going through the washer.
Huh. I guess I'll double-check ours to make sure it's not damaged.

We also almost always run our dishwasher on the "light" setting which may make it less hot or less agitated; not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:50 PM
Love and Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Mine must be a different model, because it was aluminum finish that got stripped away in the wash and left grey residue all over everything it touched. I scrubbed it several times (including with vinegar) and I still couldn't get it to the point where I felt it was food safe.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Well shoot, Cuisinart is recalling the blades of a lot of food processors and mine is one of them. Oh well, I get a new free blade!
Old 01-11-2017, 09:34 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
Mine must be a different model, because it was aluminum finish that got stripped away in the wash and left grey residue all over everything it touched. I scrubbed it several times (including with vinegar) and I still couldn't get it to the point where I felt it was food safe.
Oh yeah, follow up to this bit - I checked my paddle, and looking at it closely it turns out it's *not* a ceramic one (those are probably more expensive) but instead metal with a thick white coating that *looks* ceramic. The coating seems very sturdy, which is probably why it's stood up better to the dishwasher than either AV's actual ceramic which can chip or Dawns' metallic finish which can strip.

In short, there's a lot of different models of kitchenaid attachments and I got lucky this time. ;P
Old 01-17-2017, 10:04 AM

we joined the cult and got an Instant Pot! Using it today to make Asian Orange Beef Pot Roast, I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
we joined the cult and got an Instant Pot! Using it today to make Asian Orange Beef Pot Roast, I'll let you guys know how it goes.
it was delicious and came out great, though next time I'll cut back on the fish sauce.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:06 AM

Yeah, after reading about it on NPR, I think I'll pick up one when I get back to the US. Seems ideal for just about all my cooking desires.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:18 AM
Unreliable Narrator

BestBuy has KitchenAid mixers on sale again today. It's the Pro 5 Plus for $199, or about $20 less than what I paid.