The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 01-15-2018, 09:58 AM
Senhor Member

Just finished They Can Live in the Desert, but Nowhere Else: a History of the Armenian Genocide. Currently reading Postwar.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:21 AM
We just don't know.

Finished up The Black Tides of Heaven and on to The Red Threads of Fortune. I would summarize them as "queer asian-flavored high fantasy," and each one is pretty short and breezy (they were released as twin novellas or short novels, though one does happen after the other).
Old 01-15-2018, 10:25 AM
It's dog eat dog

Blasted through Annihilation as a break from A Suitable Boy (which, as shivam says, isn't just a doorstop, it's the whole damn door). I'm not surprised that the movie is going to go in a more action-oriented direction, but it's disappointing because there's already a great psychological thriller here.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:05 AM
Better be the real thing.

Read the first two volumes of Lemony Snicket's All the Wrong Questions. This time he himself is the protagonist, and while I find him kind of insufferable as a hero, I love the supporting characters and setting--a small town that's dying because its ink-based economy has collapsed to the point where the only cab driver is two kids stacked on top of each other who take "tips" in the form of book recommendations--so much.

But right now I'm taking a break from that for The Rithmatist, based on this thread's recommendation.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:07 PM
This Guy

I'm trying to read Sanderson's Oathbringer, but I'm finding it hard because other than having a vague recollection of who the characters are I can't remember a single damn thing about the last book. I guess that's what I get for reading it in one marathon session and then not touching it for 2 or so years.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:00 PM

With this year being the centennial of the ending of World War I, I thought I would educate myself with some books on the subject, starting with The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman
Old 01-20-2018, 05:37 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterthes View Post
With this year being the centennial of the ending of World War I, I thought I would educate myself with some books on the subject, starting with The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman
It's a good one!

I thought it was about time I read A Wrinkle in Time
Old 01-21-2018, 05:38 AM

Eh, my eyes were glazing over by the third chapter. Instead, reading Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser
Old 01-22-2018, 10:14 PM
This Guy

I read As You Wish, which was maybe the slightest book I've ever read. I love The Princess Bride and I enjoyed reading Elwes's experiences behind the scenes, but other than genuinely enjoying working with everybody there really isn't a lot there. Did you know that Billy Crystal and Carol Kane are funny? Or that Andre the Giant was large? $2 was about the right price.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:33 PM

Magic by William Goldman
Old 01-24-2018, 05:40 AM
Mystery Contraption

Took the better side of a month, but I finished off Oathbringer. The short version is that I loved it, and nobody except Branderson has managed to make multi-thousand page doorstopper fantasy that has this fast of pacing and is this digestible or easy to recommend. I suspect witchcraft.

Without risking spoilers, the book establishes pretty early on the theme that nobody wants to help the heroes with their destined battle against a mythical evil because the heroic kingdom have spent the past few centuries being a bunch of total dicks (and, courtesy of flashbacks, one of the most heroic individuals was a complete monster) while the legendary force of chaos and destruction have some pretty legitimate complaints and have been perfect gentlemen otherwise.

And that's a good enough hook, and the first half of the book gives the heroes lots of jobs to do before they can fight the main villain. In video game terms, it's the part where you reach the big main city and are suddenly given a whole bunch of side-quests and have your choice of which plot mission to take next.

Then, about exactly halfway through the book lots of big stuff happens at once and I said "Oh shiiiiiiiii~". Which is something that I also did with each consequent chapter. The sheer momentum of major plot swerves in the back half of this book makes the comparative inertia of the first two books stand out all the more sharply.

So now, I'm impatiently waiting for the fourth book, which should be released in two more years, or so.

In the meantime; on to the second Nightvale novel, It Devours
Old 01-24-2018, 07:00 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
So now, I'm impatiently waiting for the fourth book, which should be released in two more years, or so.
That's what A Song of Ice and Fire fans said years ago.

I started in on It shortly after the movie was released. I've read a lot of Stephen King; somehow missed this one. I was about a 100 pages in but I've stalled out. Thinking about moving on to something else and coming back to it.

Right now I'm looking at starting Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman or The Three Lives of James Madison by Noah Feldman.

I should also finish Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin but, boy, is that book a difficult read just because of the subject matter.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:01 AM
Mr. Jackpots

If there's one thing Brandon Sanderson knows how to do that George R. R. Martin doesn't, it's finish books.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:41 AM
This Guy

The only fear about Sanderson getting the next book done in a timely manner it's that he gets distracted and writes 7 or 8 other books first, instead of just 3 or 4.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:45 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
The only fear about Sanderson getting the next book done in a timely manner it's that he gets distracted and writes 7 or 8 other books first, instead of just 3 or 4.
And now an artistic representation of Positronic Brain waiting for the sequel to The Rithmatist.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:49 AM
Better be the real thing.

Which makes me hope that the sequel to the Rithmatist can somehow be synced with Rick Astley.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Are You Sure About That?

The Demons of Astlan series is basically epic fantasy (think wizards and demons spraypainted on the sides of panel vans) by way of Terry Pratchett. Only three books so far, but the understated humor and absurdity written into them makes them a delight to read. Books are a bit longer than average though, if not quite on Sanderson's level for EF.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:38 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
The Demons of Astlan series is basically epic fantasy (think wizards and demons spraypainted on the sides of panel vans) by way of Terry Pratchett.
So early Terry Pratchett?
Old 01-24-2018, 12:42 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Sort of? It's not nearly as absurd, but there's strong current of humor flowing through the entire thing. Also subtly positive about LGBT stuff that transitions into openly positive as you get into the second/third books.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:51 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
That's what A Song of Ice and Fire fans said years ago.

I started in on It shortly after the movie was released. I've read a lot of Stephen King; somehow missed this one. I was about a 100 pages in but I've stalled out. Thinking about moving on to something else and coming back to it.

Right now I'm looking at starting Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman or The Three Lives of James Madison by Noah Feldman.

I should also finish Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin but, boy, is that book a difficult read just because of the subject matter.
Sanderson is a machine. also, i got to read and comment on the beta version of oathbringer, and i'm just now reading the final print, and its neat to see the differences. I'm helping!
Old 01-24-2018, 01:58 PM
of the Black Falcons

I'm just about finished with The First Men in the Moon by HG Wells, and I'm also about a third of the way through A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. They're similar in a lot of ways and were only released about 10 years apart, but Burroughs claimed to never have read any of Wells books. Aside from plot, the main difference between them is that Wells characters are hilariously incompetent (lose their ship, split up and abandon one on the moon, let a kid crawl in the ship and fly into the depths of space once the other returns), while Burroughs protagonist is a competent pioneer/cowboy/Civil War soldier. Both are good, but I'm finding A Princess of Mars to be the more fun read.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:09 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

The reminds me that there will never be a John Carter sequel and that makes me sad.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:35 PM
of the Black Falcons

Unfortunately, John Carter cost more to make than the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy. I remember it being a fun movie though, I should probably re-watch it once I finish the book.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:36 PM
2018 is the new 2017

It was okay but it had some real pacing/editing problems

lol jesus thats a lot of money to waste on a film
Old 01-24-2018, 05:20 PM

A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George
Old 01-24-2018, 05:25 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
It was okay but it had some real pacing/editing problems

lol jesus thats a lot of money to waste on a film
I love John Carter. The movie, though A Princess of Mars and the next couple of books in the series are great pulp fun. But I don't think any movie is good enough to justify its price tag.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:38 PM
charlotte is mai waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Unfortunately, John Carter cost more to make than the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy.

how
Old 01-24-2018, 05:51 PM
This Guy

Disney wanted their own Star Wars, so they threw money at something that Star Wars was inspired by. (Not long after John Carter came out, Disney found their Star Wars in Star Wars.)
Old 01-24-2018, 10:59 PM
charlotte is mai waifu

I mean, sure, but. What did they spend that much money on
Old 01-24-2018, 11:26 PM
This Guy

The money is on the screen. The movie looks amazing.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book