The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 10-18-2017, 11:56 AM
ahm margaret wartahm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
So the stupidest part of this Mojo storyline in the main X-books? Every character in-universe knows the dumb event names (X-tinction Agenda, Mutant Genesis, etc).
Here's what I like: some of the jokes. I think this is my favorite storyline either book has done, which is not to say it's very good. This feels like a particularly inessential epoch in the franchise history.

cece cameo! I own that issue.

Anyway, I was excited when Bloodstorm came back, but otoh, I don't really care whether or not she's really dead. Maybe she is. Either way, her presence will have been weird and kind of weightless.

I liked Gen X this week. Took me a while to warm up to it, but it's a pretty good old-school Claremontian soap. Almost want to purchase actual floppies, but, eh.... why bother. I have every other Gen X issue to my knowledge. A few weeks ago, I purchased the flashback issue and a Gen 13/Gen X crossover, which I thought was the last of old issues I didn't have. Found out there was another Gen X/Gen 13 crossover, and it's in 3D, so now I have that to look forward to.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:21 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
So the stupidest part of this Mojo storyline in the main X-books? Every character in-universe knows the dumb event names (X-tinction Agenda, Mutant Genesis, etc).
I don't keep up with current stuff as it comes out, but that kind of dumb 4th wall breaking is perfect for a Mojo story, in my opinion.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:24 PM
World of Darkness Returns

I didn't say it was bad stupid, just made me eyeroll a bit.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:30 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Oh yeah, that's definitely fair.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:21 PM
ahm margaret wartahm

What I want is for someone to reference the X-Cutioner's Song and also to please explain that name to me.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:00 AM
ahm margaret wartahm

Also correct.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:53 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
What I want is for someone to reference the X-Cutioner's Song and also to please explain that name to me.
God, that one never ended. And IIRC it started the x-plague storyline that haunted those books for years after.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:03 AM

Ah yes, the "Mutant AIDS" storyline that killed off a bunch of minor characters that no one likes and both Magik and Colossus. Those two came back of course, but man, is that story complicated.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:08 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
God, that one never ended. And IIRC it started the x-plague storyline that haunted those books for years after.
It """"only"""" lasted four months, but it definitely felt like it lasted forever (both because the Cable-centric stories of the 90s were very bad and because four months feels like forever when you're a kid buying floppies).

It also kind of bled into Fatal Attractions, which bled into Blood Ties... And it all bled into and the long, slow endless buildup to the ridiculously overwrought company wide Onslaught crossover, which bled into the very stupid Heroes Reborn.

The 90s was a bad time.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:38 AM
so exciting!

That's leaving out Operation: Zero Tolerance, which was definitely not extremely dumb and bad. Remember when Sabra shows up at the end, practically wrapped in an Israeli flag, as if just to say "Do you get it do you get the Holocaust parallels??"
Old 10-19-2017, 09:46 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Onslaught was so bad that it got me to gradually stop reading monthly serialized comics in general, so my memories get fuzzy from Zero Tolerance and later as I started to pare down what I read.

I was fully onboard from the end of Fatal Attractions (because I had to know what happened to Wolverine) until Onslaught. In retrospect, I read these comics the most closely during what was possibly their all time historical low-point. Oops!

I think the best things from that entire period were Age of Apocalypse, the Bachalo illustrated issues of Generation X, Warren Ellis on Excalibur, and gay baiting Shatterstar/Richtor?

This means that I also quit right before the Morrison run, which in retrospect is my all time favorite take on these books, reading it over a decade after the fact. I had really bad timing with the X-Books.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:00 AM
ahm margaret wartahm

Shatterstar still had his ponytail in the 90s, so Im happy my first/only exposure is in 00s X-Factor.

Before this year, I only regularly followed comics intermittently, for a couple of months, every few years. (so I probably ought to and will stop soon) The only 90s x-comic Im sure my parents bought me as it came out was Uncanny 300, which was incomprehensible but left me with the impression that Amanda Voght and Neophyte (lol) are big deals.

(checks) Neophyte still has his powers after M-Day! Apparently, hes just chilling wherever tertiary (charitable adjective) side mutants do at the time. (Utopia/Limbo/whatever)
Old 10-19-2017, 10:03 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
The only 90s x-comic Im sure my parents bought me as it came out was Uncanny 300, which was incomprehensible but left me with the impression that Amanda Voght and Neophyte (lol) are big deals.
Amazingly, Amelia Voght appears in multiple storylines of the 90s cartoon.

"Oh, they thought this character mattered. Huh."
Old 10-19-2017, 10:06 AM
ahm margaret wartahm

Age of Apocalypse is flawless solely because of the character designs. I was enchanted when I saw all the x-weirdos posing for their group portait in some mutant encyclopedia. Was extremely unhappy when all of Generation NeXt (yes!) was slaughtered at the end of their mini, and I think its very immoral and unheroic for people to try to avert timelines. Of course, the Age of Apocalypse still existed in some form.

I encountered it next in some crossover with Greg Paks otherwise extremely enjoyable X-Treme X-Men. (yes!!) It was unrecognizable and devoid of color; everyone and their cool costumes were dead and gone. A bunch of random eldritch horrors were stashed there to protect the 616, and then Secret Wars happened so I guess all of them got smashed into another Earth? Circle of life~
Old 10-19-2017, 10:07 AM
ahm margaret wartahm

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Amazingly, Amelia Voght appears in multiple storylines of the 90s cartoon.

"Oh, they thought this character mattered. Huh."
Of course I got her name wrong.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:33 AM
Space Prez

I always confuse X-cutioner's Song with X-tinction Agenda. I remember buying X-cutioner's Song because the issues were polybagged with a trading card, but the second half of my issues were never opened, presumably because I gave up on it.

I've been re-reading Uncanny X-Men along with X-plain the X-Men since they started covering the era where I was reading the books for the first time, around Fall of the Mutants or so. And as they slowly cover the end of Claremont's run, I'm kind of wallowing in it, like picking at a sore or a loose tooth. Starting in the early 90s, I was discovering independent, non-mainstream stuff, dipping my toes into The Comics Journal and otherwise developing a greater appreciation and critical analysis of comics as a medium. Or at least, going forward from that point I did. So I can tell you why the 90's X-books are terrible, but this is the first time I've gone back and looked at these books with a critical eye, and it's been very interesting. And a little painful. But good.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:37 PM
ahm margaret wartahm

So, Im up to Laytons X-Factor now. It doesnt have a great reputation, but I find myself perfectly capable of enjoying its charms. Jay and Miles noted and it was very silver age, and thats fine for half a year.
  • the stupid-ass warren-jean-scott love triangle comes back. jeans not into warren so its pretty silly
  • whos on first antics re: madelyne pryor
  • silver age girlfriends are back, a lot of fun. RIP Candy~
  • a russian mutant has an incredible phonetic south african accent
  • frenzy, one of my faves, is introduced; forgets about her magic drug addiction and exposits

Anyway, 8 dollars happily spent! These issues are weirdly not on Marvel Unlimited, along with a dozen or so New Mutants issues. When I found them on Comixology/amazon, I was hopeful that meant you could buy the entire runs, but... nope. A shame.

btw, how do u all like black hair represented? With white, like Northstar and Aurora, or blue, as with Frenzy here? In my opinion: both options are fine.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Is there not one thing

Looking back you can really see how losing Claremont's horny-but-steady hand over the mutant books sent the property careening over the edge almost instantly.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Looking back you can really see how losing Claremont's horny-but-steady hand over the mutant books sent the property careening over the edge almost instantly.
With one guy in charge you got a consistent product, even if it was an increasingly bughouse weird consistent product. With a platoon of dudes constantly falling on and off the merry-go-round all through the '90s, you got...what we got, I guess.

It's funny to look back on the editorial history of the book and see that every time Marvel tried to reset a stable status quo, something exploded. John Byrne quit out of nowhere, Lee and Liefeld quit out of nowhere, Fabian Nicieza quit right after Age of Apocalypse relaunched the line, Mark Waid ran screaming after Onslaught relaunched the line, the Joe Kelly/Steve Seagle experiment lasted about a story arc and a half. The only guy they could get to write a book for more than six months was Scott Lobdell, asshole of the century.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:58 PM
Space Prez

I am grateful for John Byrne's run as writer, because as a budget-strapped teen it meant never feeling the need to buy any of his comics ever again.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:19 AM
Space Prez

It occurred to me over the weekend that "The New Mutants" is a play on the title of "The New Teen Titans" and most likely a response to that book's success.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:29 PM
poisonous thread snake

Wasn't New Teen Titans itself a response to the then-recently popular Uncanny X-Men comics?
Old 10-23-2017, 01:31 PM
Mystery Contraption

Yup.

Marvel and DC are an ouroborus.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:41 PM
Space Prez

DC responded to X-Men with "what if the X-men... were teenagers?"
Marvel responds to Teen Titans with "what if the Teen Titans... were mutants?"
Checks out.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:54 PM
Find Your Reason

Now I'm flabbergasted that Amalgam Comics didn't have an X-Titans or a Teen Mutants comic.

JLA/Avengers is 13 years old now! The Big Two are due another team crossover, and the mutants could use a vacation in DC-land where they're considered ordinary metas and praised for their efforts.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:33 AM
ahm margaret wartahm

I dunno about Teen Titans, but at that point New Mutants was done. Judging solely by titles, I think its two successor titles (Generation X and X-Force) could have had Amalgam series, (Generation Hex? X-Patrol?) but I cant check another wiki... must only check 1 before posting.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:43 AM
ahm margaret wartahm

Did the Amalgam weirdos all die during Secret Wars? Aw. Actually Ive never read any of them, maybe theyre all tremendously off-putting.

And yes, X-Patrol was X-Force/Doom Patrol (sure) while Generation Hex was Generation X/Jonah Hex. (strikes me as a little weird, but I dont know anything about Jonah Hex and the name combinations are obviously fortuitous - both end with x, Jonahs like Jono)
Old 10-24-2017, 09:06 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Did the Amalgam weirdos all die during Secret Wars?
I think the answer is "If Reed and/or Franklin Richards liked them well enough they got stay in existence."

...I guess Reed really hated the Ultimate universe since they made him overtly evil instead of "I'm the smartest person in the room" evil?
Old 10-24-2017, 10:36 AM
This Guy

Quote:
And yes, X-Patrol was X-Force/Doom Patrol (sure) while Generation Hex was Generation X/Jonah Hex. (strikes me as a little weird, but I dont know anything about Jonah Hex and the name combinations are obviously fortuitous - both end with x, Jonahs like Jono)
Jonah Hex is a scarred amalgam of every Western trope. Also, sometimes he's Mad Max.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:44 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
DC responded to X-Men with "what if the X-men... were teenagers?"
Marvel responds to Teen Titans with "what if the Teen Titans... were mutants?"
Checks out.
It's not always such a bad thing. Jack Kirby distilled Challengers of the Unknown into a far more effective book when he made the Fantastic Four.

Tags
adam x the x-treme , ah cain't touch yuh remy , berserker barrage , chayeh , claremont's boner , comics horny vampire , focused totality , foreverial tiedup x-men , marvel , no quarter asked , none given , scumbag gambit , x-men