Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 06-13-2018, 11:47 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

what an incomprehensible difficulty curve
Old 06-14-2018, 11:04 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Did... did they put the levels in the wrong order?
Old 06-14-2018, 12:20 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Without knowing exactly what the devs were thinking, I'd guess they put the Time Tunnel as the third stage because thematically, it doesn't feel like a first stage. The wilderness area has the hallmarks of a "video game first area," with its green hills and so forth, but it's not designed with the teaching aspects that most of those are.

So for whatever reason, the stages with the elements approaching clever design were pushed further back into the game, and I'd have to guess they didn't have a lot of time to playtest to figure out something resembling a normal difficulty curve.

Pretty soon we'll even see a stage that copies the layout of the first stage...but is far more interesting to play. It's just a weird game all around.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:17 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

What I want to know is what madness possessed them to not give Magnus a life meter.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:53 AM
till the sheriff stops by

So it's gotten to the point where you are mere symbolically fighting Decepticons?
Old 06-17-2018, 07:41 PM
Better be the real thing.

"...the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every Cybertronian spark -- and through all Cybertronian sparks." -- Solzhenitsytron
Old 06-29-2018, 07:18 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Stage 4
亜空間都市
HYPERSPACE TOWN

We start Stage 4 against a starfield, standing on an assortment of orange blocks. Magnus starts the level about 2/3 of the way towards the top of the screen, which as well see is a little bit important...

...Because this stage's initial threat is good ol' Starscream, with the same attack pattern as usual. But now he's pretty harmless, huh? Wouldn't it have been nice if we'd had a chance to fight him like this first?

This game is so strange!

Anyway, continuing on the small platforms, we come to our first new enemy type of Stage 4.

These little orange orbs float in a medium sine wave from right to left. They're pretty chill.

Near the first orb is a horizontal Starscream who usually seems to drop a "P" Energon Cube.

With it in hand we easily dispense with the orbs and make it to the center part of this stage...

...some sort of building floating in Hyperspace. And guess what?

...you gotta transform to get inside of it. And it took the game three whole stages to get to a point where it outright requires the player to use their vehicle mode. It's refreshing, in a certain way, but also totally bizarre!

Anyway, the inside of the building is home to some other new enemies. The first are these sorta flower looking mechanoids that start moving in a vertical line when you get close to them.

The second are orange bats that look a bit like the Laserbeak enemies from the Time Tunnel. When you get near them they fly in a sine way at Magnus. This game sure likes its sine waves, huh?

The corridor continues with some more orbs and a cube-dropping Starscream.

Hey, another letter! Our third, if you're keeping score. Now we've spelled R-O-D.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:19 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Anyway, there's more bats and orbs.

The hall narrows and gets more stressful toward the end. Without Plasma, it's hard to shoot the orange orbs here. Starscreams drops a useless "D."

This level's third type of sine-wave enemy shows up here, a mine-looking fella that we've seen before. For some reason the bat at the end of the hall killed me a BUNCH of times during this playthrough.

The building opens back up into a platform-littered stafrield, with a parade of the wave-mines.

This brief platforming segment ends in the opening to another indoor area. Even without Plasma all these enemies line up to get shot at the entrance. The bats take a lot more hits to kill before they start flying.

And we've reached the boss!

Fourth Boss
デストロンボート
DESTRON BOAT

This boat ship is based on the spaceship that Megatron and the Decepticons piloted during the G1 cartoon's pilot episode, "More Than Meets The Eye," in pursuit of the Autobots.

Originally a nameless and incidental plot device, the ship would reappear a couple of times in increasing levels of story importance. In the pilot episodes, the Decepticons boarded the Autobot ship, and left theirs in space to crashland on Earth elsewhere, which gave the writers opportunity to revisit it later.

In the season 2 episode "Microbots," some archaeologists dig up the ship quite by accident, and Megatron comes round to loot the ship for that episode's MacGuffin. They leave the ship there, and it's never heard of again, until...

...1996's Beast Wars cartoon. Although the show is set up as if taking place on a barren, unknown organic world, as the show progresses it becomes clear that it's actually Earth, but far in the past...and the G1 Autobots and Decepticons are still slumbering in their crashed spacecrafts.

That becomes a major plot focus of the show's third season, but also, that show's Megatron unearths the Decepticons' flagship, which Beast Wars gives the title "Nemesis."

So the name Nemesis became associated with badass Decepticon ships, and this kinda inconsequential detail from the 80s cartoon retroactively became an important piece of TF mythos.

References to the ship have been made many times since Beast Wars.

So anyway, now we have to fight this ancient, powerful beyond measure Decepticon warship.

EPILEPSY WARNING:

It's really easy.

NEXT: THE FLOATING CITY
Old 07-01-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post

I was excited for a second because I thought that was the Canadian flag. Happy Canada Day, everyone!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:21 AM
Meal break

This stage looks pretty playable! I love the history trip in this update. I wouldn't have recognised the ship from the sprite, but the first two cartoon screenshots reach right into my childhood.

Also Drac, is your current user title in reference to this game?
Old 07-04-2018, 10:21 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
Also Drac, is your current user title in reference to this game?
Yeah, in a way. It also just kinda describes me in general.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:38 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Stage 5
浮遊都市
FLOATING CITY

We're still adrift in outer space for the fifth stage, but instead of metallic platforms, we're striding between asteroids, or some other sort of floating space rock.

There are some metal platforms that move horizontally, and they aren't a big challenge. Before long we meet the stage's primary gimmick, these metal volcanoes. Some of them, like this one, emit fireballs that fly straight up. They can't be attacked, so we just have to dodge them.

Some of the volcanoes shoot tiny orbs that float toward Magnus in -- guess what -- a SINE WAVE.

The volcanoes are background objects, so we can just walk right through them at a safe moment.

Pretty soon we pick up a plasma gun from a passing Starscream.

We pass some more deadly sine waves and grab this stage's red letter.

R-O-D-I. Hmm...

Another plasma gun that we don't need, and then...

What's this! An "F"? We haven't seen "F" yet. What could it do?

"F" is for "FLY!"

WHEEEEEE!!!!

When you've got the "F", you just need to hold the A-button to float indefinitely. Nabbing it in this stage lets you fly right past the last few obstacles - so long as you slow down to avoid one of those volcanoes along the way.

Hey, they put an obstacle that threatens you even if you get the stage's best power-up. It's almost like...good game design?

Now let's check out the boss...
Old 07-27-2018, 02:41 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Fifth Boss
合体兵士/メナゾール
Combiner Warrior/MENASOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translated From Manual
Combined form of five warriors. Holds immense power: punches with the force of 140 tons. Savage demeanor; demolishes anything with his punching strength; repels nearly all artillery fire.
Menasor was one of three Decepticon combiner teams released for the Transformers' 1986 lineup, and one of two that uses the "Scramble City" configuration, meaning all of the limb-style figures are interchangeable with any other similarly built combiner.

As a Decepticon group made of cars and trucks, the Stunticons were unique for their time period, as ground vehicles were mainly the domain of Autobots up to that point. The Stunticons are usually portrayed as a highly dysfunctional unit, and Menasor as a frenzied giant who is frightening even to the Decepticons.

EPILEPSY WARNING!

But in "Mystery of Convoy," he's just frighteningly easy. Of all we've seen so far, he may even be the easiest boss yet. His projectiles travel in a straight line, unlike the homing shots or sine waves the previous bosses have used.

I suppose you might lose your footing with the slippery jump controls and fall, but really, at this point, that's on you. And just like that, we're halfway done!

NEXT: BACK TO THE TIME TUNNEL!
Old 07-27-2018, 02:45 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Am I peaking at a picture of Bruticus in that instruction manual?
Old 08-05-2018, 01:53 PM

Wait, an actual transformer as a boss?
Old 08-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Funko Superfan

Wait was optimus playing the game or fighting the guys in real life? This whole narrative is falling apart!
Old 08-06-2018, 01:06 AM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

That's Rodimus, Loki. The guy who replaced Optimus when he was killed off by the movie.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:52 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Y'all are BOTH wrong! It is Ginrai, the guy who looks exactly 100% like Optimus, but is actually just a teenage truck driver!
Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Oh wait, I meant Ultra Magnus. For some reason Rodimus was on my mind.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:04 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Stage 6
タイムトンネルII
Time Tunnel II

Yep, seriously. Time Tunnel II is effectively Stage 3, but in reverse. The same enemies, the same layout, but you're going down instead of up.

It seems lazy on the surface, and perhaps it was, but in effect, the reversal of Stage 3 presents challenges that are slightly different and a little more difficult than its brother.

The first challenge is running into these little hovering guys again. In Stage 3, we needed to transform to truck mode and hit them with our overhead shot. Here, we still need to transform into truck mode, but we'll need to exercise our missile launchers.

Something that's not immediately obvious about the missile launcher is that it actually creates a brief area-of-effect hitbox, which you can see as the third little hovering thing runs into the missile's explosion and dies. This gives the launcher an ever-so-slight technical advantage in certain spots.

We squeeze past a Laserbeak, a homing turret, and another set of hovering thingies. The turret can't hit us if we pass through on the left.

From here we run into a spot that's definitely harder to pass than anything in Stage 3...

Two turrets create a bit of a crossfire, and maneuvering between them is likely to get you sniped by a third turret (or you'll just collide with it, like I did).

The best way through here seems to be to fall to the left, timing your descent with the left turret, and firing off a missile just as you hit the ground. Then you can take out the homing turret from safety.

Another turret in a troublesome area, and an encounter with a "why bother" Laserbeak.

This turret requires some strategic thinking to pass. You can't hit it with your missiles from the left, you can't fall through the gap on the right in truck mode, and it takes long enough to transform that you'll get shot if you fall to the right and then transform.

I ended up just jumping over it at the right time and narrowly missing awkward death by Laserbeak. There's probably a more graceful way to do this.

And we've reached the end of Stage 6. There's no power-ups to find in this level, so it's onto the boss...
Old 08-07-2018, 07:05 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Sixth Boss
デストロンマーク
DESTRON MARK

Yes, because just one giant floating Decepticon symbol wasn't enough, we're up against our SECOND one. In the game's defense, it's at least got a different attack pattern...

Its sine-wave bullets this time cluster on the screen and shoot forward at Magnus when they get close. If you let too many appear, it's nearly impossible to approach the boss.

EPILEPSY WARNING

But, if you move forward immediately, and keep shooting, you'll take it out before it has a chance to overwhelm you.

And that's all for the Time Tunnel! I'm sure we're done with it forever.

NEXT: SNOW JOB
Old 08-08-2018, 07:43 AM
Meal break

I'm getting the impression this game was put together in a hurry.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:45 AM
Funko Superfan

I do like how the same level, when going through it in reverse, is a different challenge.

Designed or accident, that's still pretty neat.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:58 PM

I completely missed that the Transformers-verse is shared with the Irwin Allen-verse.

Thanks again, Tommy Westphall.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:34 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Stage 7
氷河地帯
Glacier Zone

We start off stage 7 with --

Ah.

So, the Glacier Zone is possibly the hardest level in the game (with a special exception that we'll see later this week). It's laid out in identical fashion to the first - a broad, flat plane - but the enemies are much more devious.

The opening volley of UFO dudes is a cold smack to the face after the easiness of the last few stages. They will plummet down to Ultra Magnus' height, then move toward him. Oh and this level has your standard platformer "ice physics," and Magnus was already kinda floaty. So we're skidding and floating while enemies happily collide with us from all directions.

Anyway, the UFOs don't fly all the way to the ground, so...

Transform and roll out! I gotta be honest, figuring out this trick for the first time I smashed my head against Stage 7 was a moment of satisfaction.

Past the first few UFOs, there's a horizontal Starscream that drops an energon cube. We got lucky this time:

"B" stands for "Barrier!" With this in hand, the music changes to the title theme, and Magnus becomes invincible. Unlike your standard Starman, Barrier doesn't time out. Instead, it counts the number of hits you take, and wears off after something like 5. Amusingly, if you pause while invincible, then unpause, the music will change back to the regular level theme. But you'll still be invincible. Hopefully you kept track of how many hits you took!

Next we drive past some of the wobbly shrimp guys, and then receive a rude awakening. The designers evidently knew that savvy players would transform to avoid the onslaught of UFOs, and put this Gundam-looking punk in the road to stop them. That's exactly what happened the first time I played this level.

These guys take a LOT of hits, so you can't just charge ahead with your missiles blazing. Jumping over them is tricky because of the ice physics, and because you don't know what flying enemy might pop out of nowhere to kill you just beyond. There are two of these guys in the stage, positioned exactly so they trip you up after you've avoided a previous group of foes.

The "D," by the way, stands for "Down." It takes away all your power-ups. Boo.

More wobbly shrimp and another UFO, followed by a letter!

Now we've spelled "RODIM."

Just past the letter, a Skywarp floats past. If we manage to shoot him down, he'd warp us to Stage 9. But we're in for the whole game, baby, so no warps this time. This is the second and final Skywarp of the game.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:35 AM
クソゲーが好な人

After Skywarp we get some new foes. Some Zubonis come screaming out of nowhere, and if you're in truck mode, you probably won't be able to react in time. At close range, Magnus' missiles fly over them, and you won't have enough time to transform and jump if they get that close.

Even if you proceed carefully it's tough to take them out in time.

Perhaps transforming is counter-intuitive, but it seems the best way to get past the Zamboni wave.

Worse, right after the Zambonis, we get some swooping Starscreams. It's pretty tough to dodge them correctly. There's also this OMINOUS FLOATING FACE in the background. Is it Optimus? Some one else? I have no idea, and it only appears here. THE MYSTERY DEEPENS.

ETA: I was going back over the first page of this LP, and I noticed that the face DOES appear in one other place: the title screen! So it's probably meant to be Optimus Prime, A.K.A, Convoy. But why's he floating in the sky over the Glacier Zone? That remains a mystery.

Boss time!

Seventh Boss
合体兵士/ブルーティカス
Combiner Warrior/BRUTICUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translated From Manual
Combined form of five warriors. Able to knock enemies out using sound waves; can totally destroy a railway bridge with one hand. Devoted to his mission; absolutely completes the jobs he is given.

Bruticus was the other of the two "Scramble City" style combiners from 1986, composed of five military vehicles (a tank, an all-terrain vehicle, a helicopter, a missile trailer, and...a space shuttle with laser cannons). Behind Devastator, he's probably the most popular and endearing of the G1 combiner teams.

Bruticus behaves basically like Menasor: he hovers up and down while trying to blast Magnus. Unlike Menasor, his shots home in on Magnus, so they're a little harder to avoid.

But not that much harder.

(EPILEPSY WARNING!)

NEXT: THE TIME TUNNEL...AGAIN

Last edited by Dracula; 09-11-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:42 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
He's still got nothing on Jimi Hendrix.

Quote:
Bruticus behaves basically like Menasor: he hovers up and down while trying to blast Magnus. Unlike Menasor, his shots home in on Magnus, so they're a little harder to avoid.

But not that much harder.

(EPILEPSY WARNING!)
Wait, did that boss seriously just die from only a handful of shots to the face!?
Old 09-12-2018, 06:00 AM
Holy Swine

Was it really necessary to have all those confusing red lines on the stat charts? Or is this one of those old things where you wear red glasses to see the truth?
Old 09-12-2018, 07:25 AM
Funko Superfan

The toys came with a little red plastic rectangle to see the stats or, if you were me, chew.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:37 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Stage 8
タイムトンネルIII
Time Tunnel III

Yes we're back with the game's third vertical stage. The third Time Tunnel uses a different tileset from the first and second, with jointed pipes and spinning gears. The enemies are also unique, although effectively they're pretty similar to what we've already seen.

The two enemy types in Time Tunnel III are floating chromosomes and pulsating goop turrets. The former float horizontally until they hit a wall, then they turn back. The goop turrets spew bullets in Magnus' direction, just like the wall-mounted turrets in I/II.

Enemy arrangement in III ramps up the difficulty, forcing you to carefully choose where you land to effectively evade goop turrets. As before, the range of their shots is more limited than Magnus', so you can stand out of range and blast them in some situations.

Time Tunnel continues to offer up situations where it's advantageous to transform and use missiles.

But mostly III is about falling with style. If you react quickly enough to bullet trajectory, you'll get through unscathed. The level also has certain areas where you can fall a certain way while in robot mode, but not in vehicle mode, and vice versa.

Here's a spot that's a bit tricky.

You have three spots where you can fall to approach this goop turret: left, right, and center. Center and right put you too close to the turret; left is the safest, but the missiles' downward motion causes them to miss the turret.

What you have to do is tranform to robot mode and fall such that the turret misses you. When you land, your shots are a little lower than the turret, so you need to hop to shoot it while staying out of range of the bullets. You could also just keep falling, but the chromosome and the next turret might strike you as you're focused on avoiding the first turret.

The stage ends with a couple chromosomes hovering over a pit. More chances to use our missiles. Boss time!

Eighth Boss
デストロンマーク
DESTRON MARK

Right, yeah. Apparently giant 'con symbols were so cool that they used them THREE times. The third mark is a little easier than the second, firing off single shots that fly directly toward Magnus.

I say that, but it's still easy to die on these boss battles. Usually, the best strategy is to mount the middle platform and jump/dodge projectiles that get near you, but I still slip up. I've mentioned this, but if you die on a boss - even if you get a game over - you start back at the boss, so you'll never have to repeat a stage.

I didn't capture a gif of the defeated third mark. Sorry about that. But good news! We're definitely done with Time Tunnels. Definitely.

NEXT: HELL

Tags
i saw the sine , lets play , mystery of comvoy , transformers