The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Outraged!

I beat a game! This one!

Took my sweet ass time at 11 hours and change but found all the items (had to look up a hint for how to get two of them and spoiled the final "power-up" for myself, sadly, ah well).

I thought it was great, never felt plodding to me even with the focus on parries. You become an overpowered god of destruction soon enough anyway and that victory lap to clean up the last few knick-knacks was very satisfying.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:56 PM
120 Days

Final boss sucks. Is there a shine spark for spike corridors?
Old 10-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Christmas Action Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Final boss sucks. Is there a shine spark for spike corridors?
Answer to the second part: There isn't a speed booster way to activate it, but if you go into morph ball mode, activate the spider ball, don't move and then drop a power bomb, it'll launch you like a shinespark.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Armor Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Is there a shine spark for spike corridors?
You know how if you use a bomb while spiderballing on a wall it will launch you sideways? Well, just do that with a power bomb and see what happens.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:19 PM
120 Days

Oh! Neat.

Just beat:
I liked it, but some areas are a pain in the ass. My final time was 15hrs. Didn’t 100% but def took time to get stuff. I think everything is a bullet sponge to justify counters. Some mid point would be appreciated.

8/10? Yeah.

My metroid power rankings best to worst:

Super
Metroid 1
Prime
ZM
Prime 2
Prime 3
Fusion
Samus Returns
Metroid 2
MOM
Hunters
Old 10-04-2017, 08:26 PM
Little Waves

Besides the Ice Beam + Missile combo several people have mentioned, another alternative to the counter is to just use Beam Burst on everything. Since every single thing drops Aieon energy when killed, it's surprisingly sustainable if you only use it as needed.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:44 PM
do-do-doo do-doo

So, has anybody played the Fusion mode? Anything interesting about it?
Old 10-04-2017, 10:46 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Besides the Ice Beam + Missile combo several people have mentioned, another alternative to the counter is to just use Beam Burst on everything. Since every single thing drops Aieon energy when killed, it's surprisingly sustainable if you only use it as needed.
Late in game i never countered, but stuff takes a ton of hits in general, to be fair i avoided using missiles because i hate have to hold it down. So, i am the problem!
Old 10-05-2017, 12:36 AM
Morbid symptom

That sounds like a good strategy, especially as most enemies will only take a short burst to deal with (except the robots in the later areas that seemingly only yield to a Beam Burst).

A thing that really drives home how beefed up the enemies are in this game is that even the Screw Attack doesn't cut through them in one go.

Last thing I did was beat Diggernaut. I enjoyed the fight but think you could end up seeing that third phase ten times before you take him down. It isn't very clear that you can stay on the vulnerable points while he is electrified (since they glow the same colour, or thereabouts), so you could miss lots of opportunities and go through several cycles just figuring out the best way ahead. It feels like every encounter with this guy wants to be really laborious...
Old 10-05-2017, 06:33 AM
Leading Sigma's Sleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
A thing that really drives home how beefed up the enemies are in this game is that even the Screw Attack doesn't cut through them in one go.
This really bothered me. Like, it's okay to trivialize the combat at the end of the game, especially when I've been fighting the same enemies for 8 hours. Bouncing off of enemies like Sonic did not feel right.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:24 AM
Morbid symptom

Yeah, by the time you get it you've proven countless times that you know how to deal with the enemies. It's the reward that allows you to do your victory lap and recover the items you missed, etc. Clearly, they wanted the grunt enemies to be no less a hindrance at the very end...

Edit: just fought the Queen Metroid, which was the most enjoyable moment in what has been a fairly unengaging late-game. It's a fight that makes full use of your skillset and can be tackled in a variety of ways, and it's exactly what I've been needing. It was a lot of fun, but I think the game has outstayed its welcome, tbh - I was ready for it to finish ages ago, which is not something I've ever felt about a Metroid game before. I've a low item percentage (just under 50% as I approached the Queen), and I think it's largely because I've been losing interest as I go along. Whenever I see the morph-ball mazes and grapple beam locks that signify nearby item expansions - and it feels like these are in most rooms, as everything's very densely packed - I just keep moving, feeling no desire to bother with them, or even to make a mental note of them and come back later.

This waning interest definitely has a lot to do with the fact that the rooms so often feel like completely artificial/contrived puzzle-boxes and not at all like places worth exploring, but that's a criticism you've been hearing about Zero Mission for years, so I won't go into that.

I'll give it a rest and try to collect my thoughts on the game before waffling further...

Edit: final clear time was 8:27, with about 47% items. It took until 11:03 to grab 100%, though. A fair chunk is only available when you've cleared the game (or when you've got the Power Bombs, which is near the end anyway). It'll be interesting to see what effect this has on speedrunning the game - will 100% runs involve this awkward, boring transporter-hopping period before the Ridley battle, or will something more elegant emerge?

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 10-09-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:05 PM
Family Man

Do the metroid fights get...better?
Old 10-11-2017, 07:07 PM
King Of Space-Time

Y'know I was kinda hoping they'd remaster the original TV ad.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Programmed to Jingle

From Alphas? Yes.

Everything from Zetas onward are full-fledged boss monsters, Alphas and Gammas are just particularly tough regular enemies.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Family Man

There are way too many abilities and weapons that open a few areas, then are replaced with slightly better versions that open a scant few more areas, rinse and repeat. It also makes backtracking to previous zones unwise until you have everything, or risk having your progress stopped by the one kind of door monster that you can't kill. It's especially frustrating after Breath of the Wild, where you get all your powers in the beginning and the only real limit on your exploration is your skill and understanding of the tools at your disposal.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:05 PM
Space dad

The Diggernaut boss fight is some bullshit.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:56 PM
Family Man

The game is really making me work for that power bomb. I must say, when the closest thing your sci-fi adventure game has to an antagonist is construction equipment, maybe add a bit more story and character?
Old 10-17-2017, 07:39 PM
Family Man

I take back what I said about the digging robot. I was wondering where all the non-metroid bosses were, and the answer is this one fight. I was not prepared for how difficult and involved that was. It almost makes up for fighting the same three metroids the whole game!
Old 10-19-2017, 01:19 PM
Family Man

Metroid: Samus Returns has a lot of glaring problems, but getting the baby metroid as a tag along buddy/powerup is fantastic.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:52 PM
Family Man

I got all of the find 'ems and beat the game. If you took every single facet of Samus Returns and cut it in half it would be an infinitely better experience. The best parts for me were the boss fights, namely the non-numbered metroid ones near the end. They went on about a phase or two too long, but boy, were they challenging in a way I haven't seen in a Nintendo game for a good while.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Fluffy Prince

I found the trick with abusing the melee counters as using them as legitimate melee attacks. Freeze something with the Ice Beam, then smash it by manually hitting your Melee Counter button next to it. It's the counter part that I feel needs more polish, but I'm glad it isn't limited to just aggro counters and can be used for more practical reasons.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:58 AM

I finally got around to playing this, and I'm liking it well enough. I'm not blown away or anything, but, hey, it's 2D Metroid.

Tags
aaahh!!! real metroids , another metroid 2 remake , galaxy is not at peace , game over return of samus , ibelieveinsakamoto , metro android , metroid , metroid 2 , metroid 2ds , metroid is dead , metroid of fate , monkey's paw? , new good metroid games , nintendo , nintendo 3ds , nintendo wins e3 again , return of return of samus , y can metroid punch?