The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Notices

Old 12-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He
Default Digital Down-Low for 12/20/2017: KRINGLESMORG

HOWDY! It is, once again, the last time this threads getting updated this year (or it is if the release schedules of the last few years are any indication) so, naturally that means that this is going to be a vertiable EXTRAVAKWANZAA. A Yulekrieg! A Driedelwave! A Sega Saturnalia! A...other holiday themed pun that implies something is extravagant.

It's also pretty much entirely Switch focused since the few games coming out this week on PS4 are ALSO on the eShop. So let's drop the preamble and see what the Ho-Ho Man is going to toss down the chimneys of the Just.

And we're starting off with Tiny Troopers XL: Joint Ops which, glancing at the screenshots, kind of reminds me of Gain Ground or Jagged Alliance. Just with an art-style that hearkens a bit more to the iOS Free-to-Play mold.

Now, if you're looking for a miniature simulation of warfare with l'il cartoony chaps, may I instead direct your attention to Tiny Metal (also on, like, everything). And let us not mince words, this is Advance Wars. It is a straight-up, no foolin', war of advancement. It is what the world has craved since Days of Ruin was released and dared ask the question of "What is Advance Wars, except Fire Emblem?".

I have been aquiver with anticipation since this was announced and it comes out now when the press of SANTA LAW is at its most inextricable.

Next up is The Next Penelope (editors note: there has been no previous Penelope), which is another one of those games that makes me stop and go "heyyyyy, pretty cool lookin' game guys." This one being, at first blush, a top-down racing game, not unlike, say, RC Pro-Am or Micro Machines (to pick two examples at random), except that it's also a shooter, like Wipe-Out or Roadblasters. And its set in the future and many races take the form of your fighting a giant warship and the plot involves racing in order to gain the favor of godlike supernatural beings and...

Oh my god, this is an Oban: Star Racers game...

Man, there are a lot of games aimed directly at my heart this week, but surely that streak can't continue for long.

Okay, so next is Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King, an 8-bit Legend of Zelda inspired adventure game and G*L D*RN IT, I wanted to save SOME money this week, Nintendo! Yeesh! You are not in the spirit of the season at all! Or else you're entirely too in the spirit of the season because you are Capitalisming good here!

Puzzle Box Maker is neat looking; being a pixel-art drawing tool that also lets you turn them drawings what you drawed into platformer levels. I don't know if it's a transformative experience for young and old alike, but its cute and the trailer has polka music, so I can smile and say "Cool".

Mom Hid My Game is next (also on the 3DS), and it represents what I'm sure we can all relate; as a crafty mother has hidden your favorite game-tape player somewhere in the house and you must put your lateral-thinking muscles to the test in order to figure out how to get it back so you can resume Pokemanning!

Coma: Recut is a visual novel, so I'm already disinterested. It's also a spooky horror visual novel, being released a solid two months after that particular market reached its sell-by date.

Anyway, enjoy scenic "A School Somewhere in Korea" and try not to be murdered by the murder-ghosts that are all over the damn place inside it.

It's also "inspired by the real-world plight of Korea's overworked high school students" which I believe may be a slight exaggeration. I don't presume to know much of Asian studies, but I think that if their schools were noticeably haunted by Murder-Ghosts, it would have made the news at some point.

Frederic: The Resurrection of Music is the second game about Frederic Chopin released in recent memory. Which is pretty friggin' weird, any way you slice it. Unlike Eternal Sonata, however, this game is at least music-based, as it's a tune-em-up! Frederic Chopin has been resurrected and must bestow the gift of ROCK!!! upon his unsuspecting enemies!

Well... probably not rock. Probably symphonies.

Deer God is a game that will "challenge your religion and platforming skills". Which... is a much more bold claim than most video games make. I admire the chutzpah, if nothing else.

Anyway, you're a deer, you do deer-stuff. I guess you also fight a frog at some point, if the screenshots are to be believed.

Next up is Heart & Slash, a game which I already bought on PSN but don't think I ever actually got around to playing! Really got to get on that concept of playing with toys you have before you get new ones in the New Year Octo, yeesh.

Anyway, this here is a beat-em-up. And it's also a Rogue-em-up. AND IT'S ALSO a game where you're a robot with a little LED Heart for a head. AND FURTHERMORE it's a game where you rip off your enemies body parts and slap them into place on your body to change your capabilities, like Cyborg Justice on the Genesis.

And now that I've said all that I'm going to fire up my PS4 and start playing that.

A Tactical Mind (as ones who know me if I'm really to tact. I am.) is a simplified steamlined strategy game which would be much easier to look at with interest if it weren't for the aforesaid Tiny Metal already being out and being a BIG AND BRASSY turn based strategy game.

Sorry kid, you chose the wrong week to be low-tech.

Also up on the Switch and another game that I've already bought on another platform (but which I've played and love) is Of Mice and Sand: Redux. Or "Rat Orchestra of the Desert" if you prefer. And I can't imagine anyone not preferring that title. It's a bit of FTL, and it's a bit of a city-building game, as a bunch of rats find and repair an old RV, strap some guns to it and send it out into a vast, world-encompassing desert in order to find El Dorado. Which is resplendant with cheese. Along the way crafting vital supplies by pulverizing trash and fighting off attacks from giant desert monsters.

It is deeply weird and very captivating and every time someone plays it anew it immediately gains a new fan. I've got to get back to my 3DS copy now and see how my li'l cheese-nippers are doing.

Also up is Bloody Zombies a beat-em-up featuring the walking dead that, no matter how hard it tries, I doubt could ever replace Zombies Revenge on the DC as my Zombie Punching Game of choice. At least partly because I don't think I would play any other examples of the genre because I hate zombie games.

And that's all for right now; if anything else gets released tomorrow I'll let you know. If nothing else gets released tomorrow, then feel free to discuss what I've already written about! Go right ahead, I ain't gonna stop you!
Old 12-20-2017, 12:15 PM
coral reefer madness

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Does Of Mice and Sand use the depth effects on 3DS at all? My policy on getting 3DS vs. Switch games is "Always Switch when the game isn't 3D, sometimes 3DS when it is"
Old 12-20-2017, 12:20 PM
A smoothing criminal

Location: Somewhere between a rhetorical question and a punchline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Mom Hid My Game is next (also on the 3DS), and it represents what I'm sure we can all relate; as a crafty mother has hidden your favorite game-tape player somewhere in the house and you must put your lateral-thinking muscles to the test in order to figure out how to get it back so you can resume Pokemanning!
I played the mobile version of the first game, and it was very fun!

The underlying plot was quite surprising, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Tiny Metal
I feel it's important to warn people that the folks behind this game are the same people who ran Project Phoenix, and there's a bunch of shady stuff that's been going on behind the scenes.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:12 PM
Mystery Contraption

Yeah pretty much everything behind the scenes there makes me go “errrr”, but everything in front of the scenes makes me go “oooh”.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:24 PM
Better be the real thing.

I looked up a trailer, and I didn't realize that when you said Blossom Tales was "Legend of Zelda Inspired," that meant "basically Link to the Past." Rather pleasantly surprised! Has anybody here played it?
Old 12-20-2017, 01:31 PM
coral reefer madness

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I got tiny metal and wargroove confused. Wargroove was the one I think I'm more interested in. This game sounds less interesting, because based on fan reaction it sounds like modern Fire Emblem is the exact opposite of my shit.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Actually Coma: Recut is actually more of a 2d survival horror game more in the veinof like Lone Survivor than a visual novel. I've only played bits of the origin version which was pretty okay.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:41 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahamkara View Post
I played the mobile version of the first game, and it was very fun!

The underlying plot was quite surprising, too.
Played the mobile version too It's equally hilarious in design as well as in budget, and yeah, I loved the puzzles and their solutions. Amazed it would show up in devices that are several million times more powerful than its max requirements.

Quote:
I feel it's important to warn people that the folks behind this game are the same people who ran Project Phoenix, and there's a bunch of shady stuff that's been going on behind the scenes.
HAHAHAHAHAHA Tiny Metal HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I backed Project Phoenix and the Kickstarter owner sent out a requestBEGGED people not to lose faith, but please to be backing this project too plz! Also, here's a dropbox link to the demo, but plz don't share because Sony sponsored us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Phoenix manager dude
Dear backers,

First of all we like to thank everyone for their patience in this project. We have been met with many obstacles that have severely delayed this project's completion, but please be assured that we fully intend to complete Project Phoenix and give everyone a game that they can truly enjoy.

TINY METAL

As some of you may know, we have been engaged in a seperate project - the development of the game TINY METAL. This is a completely seperately financed project, backed by private investors, and rest assured that no money from Project Phoenix was used for the development of TINY METAL.

So it is with great regret that we can not give out full copies of TINY METAL to Project Phoenix backers as this would be in breach of our terms of agreement with both of the major stakeholder groups of the project; our investors and our publisher.

That being said, after much wrangling we were able to negotiate with our publisher to release a preview build of the game just for Project Phoenix backers as a form of courtesy for your support and patience.

All that we ask is that kindly not leak it to any non-backers of the project. We hope that you enjoy this build.
Response was... less than enthusiastic. AFAIK, the demo was spread far and wide just out of spite.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Find Your Reason

Doublepost because seriously, do not get TINY METAL.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Mystery Contraption

That kind of puts a damper on my enthusiasm
Old 12-20-2017, 02:44 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Well, your description made me more interested in A Tactical Mind anyway.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Mystery Contraption

Every time I read that title (which was quite a few times over the course of making the OP) I heard the opening piano to that song.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:56 PM

Also tomorrow is Picross e8 on the 3DS
Old 12-20-2017, 03:06 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Doublepost because seriously, do not get TINY METAL.
it's the Silicon Knights X-Men Destiny scam, just run on Kickstarter instead of a real publisher. cute.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:15 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Tiny Metal would've had me at "Advance Wars-like", but it immediately lost me at "...funded via a Kickstarter scam."

I don't love Advance Wars that much. Fuck Yura.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:20 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
I got tiny metal and wargroove confused. Wargroove was the one I think I'm more interested in.
Aye. When I saw Octo mention this, my reaction was essentially "I'd rather wait for Wargroove." That said: some news on Wargroove would be nice.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:29 AM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
It is what the world has craved since Days of Ruin was released and dared ask the question of "What is Advance Wars, except Fire Emblem?".
Wargroove:"Hmm... Nope."
Old 12-21-2017, 07:30 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Mom Hid My Game is very good.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:36 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Wargroove:"Hmm... Nope."
War Groove seems to take that question a bit more literally.

This is not a complaint.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:17 AM

Apparently this is the previous Penelope.

TNP looks rad. Futuristic top-down racer shooter that takes story cues from The Odyssey is not what I expected to come out of this thread wanting to play, but here we are.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
I looked up a trailer, and I didn't realize that when you said Blossom Tales was "Legend of Zelda Inspired," that meant "basically Link to the Past." Rather pleasantly surprised! Has anybody here played it?
Yes indeedy. Basically, if you don't expect peak Zelda, you'll have a good time. Here's what I said in my Steam review.

Quote:
This shouldn't surprise anyone that has looked at the game, but the Zelda-inspiration on tap here, especially from Link's Awakening, should be quite apparent. And much like that game, it's a very, very good time. The game is packed with lots of little secrets, and a charming art style. Four dungeons seems a bit short, but they are quite lengthy, and you will find other smaller areas to poke around for secrets, so length isn't really an issue.

Dungeons themselves aren't quite as non-linear as I'd like. There are plenty of puzzles to go around, though, even if some are of the block-pushing, "snake"-style walking over tiles (don't step on a tile you've already stepped on), or other such challenges. A bit more emphasis has been placed on some death-trap sequences, often over a collapsing floor. These can be a little frustrating if you don't have some action-gaming chops. There is also quite a bit of combat throughout the game, and it's worth taking advantage of some of your tools (governed by a magic meter) or some of the sword abilities, including the requisite spin-slash or the newly-added ground-slam attack.

Don't let the specter of difficulty dissuade you, though. The game really isn't very challenging, as life-restoring items are quite abundant for those that explore thoroughly, not to mention lengthening your life meter just like a Zelda game.

One of the more interesting changes from Link's Awakening is being able to move and swing your sword at the same time. This makes things feel quite a bit different at times, sometimes for the better and sometimes not. I wish that the range was just a little longer on your swipes.

Really, this game hit 8/10 territory for me, it's an extremely solid Zelda clone that also manages to carve out its own identity in the process. If you've got a hankering for old-school Zelda, and the new-fangled Breath of the Wild isn't doing it for you, check out Blossom Tales!
I also recommend Castle Pixel's other game, Rex Rocket. I'd love for them to bring it to Switch.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:26 PM
Media Sellout

Pronouns: He him

Anyone play much of blossom tales yet? it looks rad but I've been burned before by zelda-likes ...
Old 12-21-2017, 06:52 PM

See the above post.

I played on PC, though, don't know how the Switch port turned out. Most reviews seem to be in the 8/10 ballpark, which is how I felt about it. Very good, not to the level of Zelda, but very few people outside of Nintendo even get close.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:55 AM
Sega CD version is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Mom Hid My Game is very good.
This game is way more enjoyable than it deserves to be.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:09 AM

I started playing it on my phone yesterday. Already finished the first one and now I'm on to the second. What a weird little delight it is.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:14 PM
..and his little cat, too

Vs. Super Mario Bros. is out on Nintendo Switch, though for some reason, they're not saying anything about it.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:48 PM
Nothing is more powerful

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

The first rule of Vs. Super Mario Bros is...
Old 12-23-2017, 05:04 AM
nothing spatial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I played on PC, though, don't know how the Switch port turned out.
Just saw a report that Blossom Tales had double the sales in 1 day on Switch than it had in it's full lifetime on Steam, so I'm assuming it turned out pretty good!
Old 12-23-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiers in Rain View Post
Just saw a report that Blossom Tales had double the sales in 1 day on Switch than it had in it's full lifetime on Steam, so I'm assuming it turned out pretty good!
Very happy to hear that! That team deserves the recognition.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:04 PM
Mystery Contraption

You can't stop the Jingle. NOTHING CAN STOP THE JINGLE!

So anyway, a few more eShop titles came out that I was previously unaware of, most notable of which being a new Arcade Archives release; Vs. Super Mario Brothers! That's right, babies, the coin-operated Arcade version of the Platformer that taught everyone how to do the genre correctly! This particular version is only unique in that it substitutes levels from Lost Levels in place of some of the repeated stages from the NES original and it records your high score, but it's still one of the least-known bits of Super Mario emphera, so THAT'S PRETTY NEAT!

Guns, Gore and Cannoli is a side-scrolling beat/shoot-em-ups where you're some kind of Mafia type what needs to murd a bunch of other peeps in the roaring 20s. Like the hit film, Johnny Dangerously. Unlike the hit film Johnny Dangerously, however, there are zombies and everyone is drawn like a cartoon. And there is presumably less of Joe Piscapo in an all-time career high.

Also up and of the -em-up genre is Pulstar, which a less charitable man might call "a knock-off of R-Type". But this is nothing BUT a time of charity, so, instead, I will say this; "An outstanding space shoot-em-up! Master a multitude of items to defeat the alien threat!"

Control the "Dino246", and take down the aliens who are attacking the solar system/ The game features a verity [sic] of offensive and defensive options, including 5 unique Voyageer items and special IO items. Use everything at your disposal ato protect your ship and defeat the alien threat!"

And the rest of the product description was a series of screenshots that I'm sure made someone at Irem squint and say "I don't remember making this game... but I must have."

Tags
crimmus special , digital downloads , ho-ho-ho , octo does not do research