The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 06-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Looking good! I love the little drill dude, and how the king just looks kind of bored while riding him. I'm sure you know this already, but I think the rock tiles need some work, and the boulders would really benefit from having a shattering animation.
Thanks for the advice, will do!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
New video...new stuff...

This is the next section. I've got a completed version of the descent from the tower but it's not fun so I'll post a video when it sucks less.
It's looking really good! I assume there are going to be other enemies like the drill that you'll need to help you get through the level, which is really neat.

Do you know if the music in that video is going to be the final music?

Last edited by Little Sampson; 06-21-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Sampson View Post
It's looking really good! I assume there are going to be other enemies like the drill that you'll need to help you get through the level, which is really neat.
Yeah. Probably just guys walking around though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Sampson View Post
Do you know if the music in that video is going to be the final music?
I think so. mr_bungle700 did all the music and sound effects thus far.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:18 AM
Not a Beer

The mechanic of using the drill to destroy rocks both above and below you is fan-fucking-tastic. Just having a solid platformer is nice and all, but new mechanics that haven't been used to death elsewhere should be great for drawing people in.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
The mechanic of using the drill to destroy rocks both above and below you is fan-fucking-tastic. Just having a solid platformer is nice and all, but new mechanics that haven't been used to death elsewhere should be great for drawing people in.
Yeah, I thought Ducktales was the only game that used that kind of mechanic but someone on XBL last night told my that a game in the next retro game challenge called Demon Returns uses a similar mechanic where you ride on enemies after they've been hit. **SIGH**
Old 06-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Not a Beer

Now you've made me sad again that RGC2 isn't being localized yet.

But still, Duck Tales, RGC2, and you is certainly not bad company. I don't think the market is flooded yet.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:36 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Well, it's been close to a couple months since we've last visited this thread, and we're about 5/8s into the year now -- but I'm sure we still have goals to accomplish for the year's somewhat-of-a-second-half!

How's everyone doing with their projects? Or, if you're not doing well, what can you do to get back on track? Or what new projects might you have?

I'm still messing around with music composition myself. I do still have two pieces that are ready to be recorded and taped -- but given that I also want to record videos of how I play those pieces, I need to figure out how to mess with video editing software first.

But that's kinda not a high priority right now. Right now, there's another project that I need to do in three weeks (for something more local, which I might share later in the year, depends) -- and I anticipate myself using all the free time I can devote to it in those few weeks. I've already written my planned timeline; and, so, I need to whisk away to doing it!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I'm still working on my game but I haven't done anything video-worthy in a while. Once I finish the boss battle I'll either post a video or a demo or something.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:42 PM
who's she

I've written about half of a concept album but I've postponed work on it because it's too ambitious for my current recording abilities.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Here's the 1st boss and a new enemy type. The rock tiles are just place holders so, you know, whatevs.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:35 PM

Antigravity Squid is the best enemy ever.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:25 PM
zero-leg insect

I finished my record-label website -- you guys are the first to know publicly. Now I just need to finish some music!
Old 08-23-2009, 01:44 PM
www.RetrowareTV.com

I've completed 2 years of making Video Game Take-Out.

Now I'm on to year 3.
I'm also working on the podcast (as always).
Old 09-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Fun Club Agent

Okay, I now have a clear goal. After some careful consideration, I've decided I want to get a job as a game programmer at a game company. So 2009 will be dedicated to taking steps towards that. It's really intimidating, as I have really vague ideas of what I need to do but nothing coherent. I know I need a good resume and cover letter, but I guess I also need some sort of gameish thing I made to show off my coding skills? And I need to bone up on all topics with game programming, as I don't know what specifically will be on the tests companies give currently. Yeah there's a lot to consider. And if I don't get something by 2010, I'll grab a regular programming job around here until I can get something else.

...yeah this is intimidating as all hell. It's what I always wanted since I got into gaming. Being this fuzzy on what I need to do to accomplish my dream isn't a position I'm comfortable with, but hopefully I'll learn as I go. We'll see how it goes!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I made a rough draft of some of the people talking in the town after the curse is lifted here.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 PM
I am being eaten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSnake View Post
I don't know what specifically will be on the tests companies give currently.
Last time I tried, it had questions on physics, networking, and a bit about speedy rendering.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

If anyone wants to be a poorly pixelated person in the game just shoot me a PM with a pic and I'll do my best.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:59 PM
redheads not warheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
If anyone wants to be a poorly pixelated person in the game just shoot me a PM with a pic and I'll do my best.
I DO! Can't send a picture till I get home later today though.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:20 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

So it's the last day the year here! [It may even be the day after, depending on where you are right now!] How did you all feel about your progress toward your projects & goals in 2009?

There were other goals that I didn't mention here that I sadly didn't reach -- but, with music composition, I'm actually fairly satisfied with how I did. Sure, I only uploaded four really-short songs this year, though I did pretty much get to the point where, after a song randomly pops up in my head, I can run to some place where I can jot it down -- or I at least hold the thought as long as I can -- much in the same way I write down any other note or doodle a little sketch. The songs aren't all upload-worthy, but I've at least gotten a fair amount of practice in developing a musical idea when I feel I'm onto something. And while I'm still not at all where I want to be in terms of polish, I still feel satisfied thus far with how much I've learned to do so.

I didn't get around to composing music for a freeware game, as I had said I wanted to at the beginning of the year, despite having an opportunity to do so with the Assemblee competition at TIGSource. Thing is, at the time that it came -- much as I wanted to participate, I felt my time needed to be put to more important things. I'm at least happy that I was make a short title song for the forum's podcast, though. I suppose I'm just going to have to train myself to compose faster.

I primarily used FamiTracker & KORG DS-10 this year. And just this month, I learned about the SiON software PSG for Flash 10 from the IndieGames blog. Given that my save slots are all full in my KORG DS-10 card, and given that I can't really use FamiTracker right now with Windows a bit on the fritz (such that I'm currently using an Ubuntu CD) -- within the past couple days, I finally started exploring how to write Music Macro Language (MML) for SiON.

So, I just need to make the next year productive, as far as my creative goals & other personal goals I have. But how about the rest of you? How do you feel about your goals from this year, and how do you feel about the next? [Balrog, you made some pretty good progress on that game.]
Old 12-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I'm semi-satisfied with what I completed, I just wish I had more of it done. I'm swearing off games (Advance Wars by Web aside) for a couple months to get back on track. We'll see how that works out :\
Old 12-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
I think life will mainly be taken over by adjusting to the new house and projects created by it. I know I'll need to stain the fence in spring and probably replant the grass. I'd like to get a vegetable garden going as well.

Other than that, paying down credit cards. I spent six months of 2008 paying rent on two places so I've racked up a lot more than I'm comfortable with (although I'm pretty dang proud of surviving it since after paying both I only had about $200 of my paycheck left each month). January is the last month of that so I plan on putting as much as possible towards paying the cards off.
There's still one section of the fence we didn't finish staining due to money constraints, not time/effort. I can deal with that.

I survived this year financially and stuff is mostly paid off. Next goal is to pay off my car as rapidly as possible.

Quote:
Oh man how did I forget to list the guitar stuff. I've had mine for almost four years now and haven't played consistently for more than three months at a time.
I think I only played once this year. Ugh.

Quote:
Looking at cars in the last couple days made me realize that I need to learn to drive a manual shift.
Looked into driving schools and asked a few coworkers, no luck here.

Quote:
Okay, major projects are to stain the fence and build some sort of cover for a section of the backyard since it doesn't get as much sun as I thought so a garden won't work there.
Registered for a sun shade thing.