The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Despite still being pretty busy, I eked in some time to continue working on my pieces. I just about considered one of my pieces ready for recording & converting -- and then I figured out a way that I might be able to make my piece a bit better still.

It's a continuous learning process, this music making. I just hope it's to the liking of everyone here when I do post it -- though I'll be open to criticism.

By the way -- others have talked about posting music too. I know we have several other threads discussing music creation, music appreciation, etc -- but I don't think we really have a thread in which to share random works. So in the vein of the Random Arting Thread, when we're ready to post, should we make ours the Random Tooting Thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
Awesome to see!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

I didn't work on it at all this week. I need to start alternating working/playing days so I can get back on track.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
Random Tooting Thread?
Hmm... How about "noodling?"
Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Mueller-mas

Project: Pair of watermelon socks
Deadline: End of March
Old 03-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

You can make socks out of watermelons? This I've got to see.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I got some sprites and enemy functionality done this week and uploaded the video but youtube is dragging their feet processing it

EDIT:It's up now!

Last edited by Balrog; 03-09-2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: it's up
Old 03-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Not a Beer

The hourglass is adorable, and I like the towers. One suggestion: you might want to make the tower sides a slightly different shade from the other walls, to make it more obvious that you can walk in front of them. I dunno if that would mess up your limited-color-palette aesthetic, though...
Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Word. I'll recolor them, I needed something to contrast against the hourglass guys anyway.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Evocative

Project: Lose weight, get exercise. I'm still going to the gym and it's now March. This is good. And I've gotten faster on the erg (rowing) machine. I have more muscles and less fat. It's nice.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:29 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

So I've been experimenting on how to make one of my existing pieces sound a bit better. I've also begun yet another piece which has simpler instrumentation and will be shorter.

With the longer piece I was planning on -- well, given how busy I currently am & how much I still lack in terms of music composition skills, it might be a little too ambitious for me right now; so I'm leaving it until such a point that I can make it sound as polished as I want it to be. This newer, shorter piece will probably replace the longer piece as the one of three that I initially post. Since the three pieces I post will be pretty short -- well, I hope you'll all still find a bit of variety in 'em.

Another thing: I've previously been learning about how to make a piece sound as full as possible -- but now I find I'm having to restrict myself from excess. So, I've gotta work on finding a happy medium for a piece, between sounding too weak & sounding way too busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
Random Tooting Thread?
Hmm... How about "noodling?"
Well, see, that would depend. Could "noodling" simultaneously imply both (musical) creativity and flatulation?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

For some reason or other I skipped over this thread earlier, but it's a great idea.

First of all: K. Nicholai, the stuff on your blog is adorable; Not from LOTR Balrog, your game looks completely sweet, and I hope that I can play it someday!

Secondly, here are my goals:

-I started a blog last week, and I want to update it at least every weekday. More posts is better, but mostly I want to go for substance. The topic is things that interest me. yes, it's vague, and I'm not going to make it public, it only exists so that I have some structure to my writing, and so that I can look back and see how well I have been doing. Maybe if I keep at it for a while I'll share a link to it sometime. Basically, I want to refine my voice as a blogger. My favorite blogs are Daring Fireball, Wonkette, and Five Thirty Eight. They're very different in terms of content, but they each have strong unique voices. I think that's my main goal in writing: to be able to communicate in a way that is functional for any kind of message or information that I want to convey, but is still personal and unique to my personality.

-I got an iPhone in November, and I have been taking (fairly low resolution)pictures like crazy. I want to start a Flickr account, keep it updated on a weekly basis, and use some of the pictures as the beginning of blog posts.

-I want to read every day. When I was in high school, college, and when I worked at a bookstore for 4 years, I read a ton. I would often finish around 5 books a week. In the last year, I have hardly read any books at all, and it makes me sad to think about it. Over the last 2 months, I read through Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilobgy, and I started to get into the habit of reading on the train and during my lunch break, which is awesome. I don't even care how much I read or how long it takes to finish books, I just want reading to continue to be part of my life, and it's been surprisingly easy to let that slip.

-I want to buy a helmet, and to start riding my bike again. Two summers ago I got addicted to riding, and I want that to be the case again this year.

Basically, over the last two years I've getten a decent job, and I think I'm a lot more responsible, but I've let my creative side fall into decline. I want to get back my creativity, but to continue to be responsible too. I don't know whether that will happen or not, but I'll give it a shot anyway.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:04 PM
ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Quote:
I got some sprites and enemy functionality done this week and uploaded the video but youtube is dragging their feet processing it

EDIT:It's up now!
Balrog, your game looks awesome! It all looks and moves very NES-y, good job. What are you using to develop it? Did you make you own engine?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronolink View Post
Balrog, your game looks awesome! It all looks and moves very NES-y, good job.
Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Quote:
What are you using to develop it?
I'm writing it with C# and XNA (a framework that works Windows and the XBOX 360). Eventually it will be on the Xbox Community Games, eventually. I'm also using a program called Mappy to make the maps(it's not fancy or anything but it's better than writing it myself).

Quote:
Did you make you own engine?
Yeah, sort of. XNA does quite a bit to get things on screen. There's some code that manages pausing, screen transitions, menus that I took off the XNA site as a starting point. The rest of it is old code that I wrote for other stuff I never finished and some generic platforming code.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Not a Beer

This makes me nostalgic for platforming code I've written in the past on platforms that are no longer viable. One was a 2D engine in HyperCard (has anyone written a HyperCard emulator for OSX yet? Man, there's a lot of old crap I'd love to get running.) and the other was a 3D engine on a Silicon Graphics O2.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
This makes me nostalgic for platforming code I've written in the past on platforms that are no longer viable. One was a 2D engine in HyperCard (has anyone written a HyperCard emulator for OSX yet? Man, there's a lot of old crap I'd love to get running.) and the other was a 3D engine on a Silicon Graphics O2.
I miss writing BASIC code on my older brother's TRS-80 and by writing code I mean copying code out of a Radio Shack magazine :|

No new video this week. I made some new graphics and put them in the level but they look awful so I either need to scrap them altogether or make some transition tiles so they don't look so weird.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:08 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Wow, a 2D engine in Hypercard? That's pretty impressive. I managed to pull of some nice animation in Hypercard but never anything interactive.

Quote:
I miss writing BASIC code on my older brother's TRS-80 and by writing code I mean copying code out of a Radio Shack magazine :|
Much of my elementary school free time from 3rd to 6th grade was writing BASIC code on the school's TRS-80s. I made about three text adventures in that time. A shame I never finished Astronut, but the disk is still sitting in my bedroom at my parents' place. Now if only to find a working TRS-80...
Old 03-18-2009, 07:21 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Wow, a 2D engine in Hypercard? That's pretty impressive. I managed to pull of some nice animation in Hypercard but never anything interactive.
Mind you I didn't say it was a *great* 2D engine, but it was functional. Jumping, gravity, collision with horizontal surfaces, an attack animation one square in front of your character that collided with enemies, enemies that could track you. That was about the extent of it. The enemies were all buttons with their own behavior coded in that moved themselves around. Player character was also a button, controlled by scripts in the stack that triggered on key-presses. I don't think I was doing any absolute timing, though, so it didn't scale well with processor speed - a common problem in HyperCard if you rely on the idle loop for anything.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Very punny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Possum View Post
I want to get my sewing room set up and organized to the point where I can actually justify taking commissions.

After that gargantuan task, everything else should be a breeze.
Done! Well, sorta. I just moved the sewing machine into my bedroom and organized all my notions/fabric/craft stuff. But its organized to the point I can actually do work now!

New goal: start working on costumes before August!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:50 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Well -- all I can say right now is that the newer composition is progressing! Only thing is, I have a general idea of how I want the song to be structured -- but I'm still kinda lost in planning ahead for the exact notes & harmony.

I also want to get a new e-mail address set up for my musical ventures. I still need to research which other free e-mail hosts are out there besides the most common ones, with which I might already have an address set up.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

New video There are some new tiles I'm not crazy about and a shooting enemy.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:42 AM

The other day in my ICS class, the topic of making games came up in my group and one of the people in the group near us also started talking about it. I was like "Yeah, I know a guy who's making a game " and they thought that was awesome. So keep it up!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

You'll have to strong arm them into buying it when it comes out in 2012.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:56 AM
I'll sleep when I'm dead

I’ve been glueing together organs from a ‘Visible Man’ kit for the organs of my jointed anatomy doll. I would have liked to sculpt the organs myself but knowing I’m such a perfectionist I wouldn’t be happy with my results.

Last edited by Kate or Die!; 04-10-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:59 AM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Still progressing with that supposedly shorter, simpler piece -- but it turns that, to get the composition as varied as I want it to be, it's going to be a little trickier to pull off than I initially thought.

Little more to do than to keep pushing ahead with it, though. Only thing is, I'm only composing in bits and pieces at a time, as I get ideas of what to put down next.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:10 AM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

I'm writing a concept album.

Danger and madness lie down that path, I know, but oh well, here goes nothing.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Curious Young Gent

I'm gonna try and go back to playing Piano after 3 years. Whee.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:04 PM

In addition to my LP, which is consuming the lion's share of my time, I'm slowly getting started on a text-based RPG founded on the battle concepts of Persona 2.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

New video. I've been working on a bunch of uninteresting behind the scenes code but I did slap together a vertical level with pre-existing tiles. I made some new tiles but I haven't added them or whatever :\
Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Right click -> Save Target As

Something I've been working on or 10 seconds of noise repeated for 2 minutes :|

Last edited by Balrog; 04-08-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Just Talking Meat

That beat is tite homie, just wait for my freestlye, I will blow the roof off this joint.