The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 02-07-2009, 07:55 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Ha ha, I'll have to use that now.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:41 AM
HellCorgieが倒せない!

So I promised I'd have the second draft of my novel done by the end of February and that's going really badly!
Old 02-07-2009, 11:18 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

I've read here and in the Thread of Random Discontent about how people aren't happy with their progress, or feel down about not having started.

Guys, it's still not too late! Resolutions don't have to start right at the New Year.

Just keep posting in this thread -- weekly, or more than that if you want -- even if it's just to say "I researched _____," or "I did this little thing toward my goal," or even "Man, I didn't do anything this past week, I ought to do _____ & _____ this coming week."

Just keep us up to date on your progress -- even if you haven't made any -- and it'll keep you mindful of what you want to accomplish!

If it weren't for my constant self-criticism and desire to improve what I already have, I'd already have something up to show right now! Especially now that Tindeck is back up with some spiffy new features.

While I haven't done much work on the pieces proper, over the past week with the KORG DS-10, I did finally create snare and timpani samples with which I'm pretty happy! The snare sample did need white noise and a triangle wave, like the default snare -- but I was able to make it sound fuller than the default. The timpani sample actually required me to use two channels to sound proper.

What's more, I imported them into FamiTracker, and even turned into a low-bitrate sample, they still sound mostly great! And actually, the lower bitrate does a bit to hide the synthiness of the samples. The snare's definitely going to help out a lot in my pieces. The timpani still does sound a bit noisy -- but at least it should work well combined with the other sound channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
OK, here's the sprites I did this week, the king's walking animation needs work but it's good enough for now. [...]
By the way, I've been meaning to comment on this: the reason the walking animation looks kinda funny to me -- why it almost looks like he's shuffling along the ground instead of doing a proper walk -- is because his legs don't appear to cross from our perspective.

Here's a quick-ish image I made in Paint, admittedly using a bit of copy & paste. I still need work on my perspectives and proportions -- but this is just a quick example to show.

So, yeah, legs crossing on the first image. I know you don't have much height to work with on the legs in your sprite -- but if you could still make them appear to cross from our perspective, I think it might look a bit more natural.

And cool enemy sprites, by the way! I like how you've animated the purple tentacle creature.

Last edited by Warg; 02-09-2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Blue post needs proofing BADLY.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Ugh fuck shit fuck.

So I ended up typing out everything I have written for chapter 1, and it's not even a thousand fucking words. Ugh.

UGH.

I'm about to format it so that I can see how many story book pages that turns out to be, but goddamn it. I'm still bummed.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Uh, I did the sprites that I posted earlier, did some bug fixing with the collisions and wrote some preliminary stuff to handle what enemies do when they're hit with other types of enemies.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:40 AM
feeling mega-good!

Pronouns: her/she (kisses)

So I knew I should really be able to come up with something, but I couldn't figure out anything reasonable for a while. Everything I could think of made me feel it'd be too easy to the point of effortlessness, or would alternatively crush me under the weight of intimidation.

Basically what I realized is, I've been playing Beatmania a lot, and it takes a lot of practice. Like a real instrument! So maybe I should put some of that time back in to a real instrument! I played piano a lot from kindergarten through graduating high school, but in the past year I've fallen off hard. I'm really hoping this will even lead into me taking up music at college (which I almost did last fall) since I'm starting to feel like it's really what I want to do, but in the meantime, I'm going to finish learning the pieces I was working on when I "quit": Debussy's Children's Corner and a Rhapsody by Brahms.

The former is actually going to be really easy, since I already still know two of the pieces really well, have played two others quite a bit, and Jimbo's Lullaby is just really easy, leaving only Golliwogg's Cakewalk. But it'll be a good start.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:58 AM
First Crusade! Judge!

Ah, I love Brahms. He may be my favorite composer in classical music.

On that note though, I've been playing one of his violin sonatas for ages, and I hope to get that to a satisfactory level.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

You guys should record yourselves playing and post links, SRSLY.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:07 PM
feeling mega-good!

Today was the first day. I still know some stuff! I'm a little rustier than I expected, but I can still pretty well fake it on the stuff I used to know, and a lot of things that seemed really hard are less intimidating now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnChocolate View Post
Ah, I love Brahms. He may be my favorite composer in classical music.
I'd have to go with Debussy for my favorite, then Chopin. Brahms is also really great, though. He could even be third.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
You guys should record yourselves playing and post links, SRSLY.
I'll have to see if I have a decent way to work this (I've thought of a couple possible solutions already). May even be able to do something kind of easy this weekend.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:52 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

So, past week? Busy as hell, been tired as hell, and I've been indulging myself on Spelunky & Retro Game Challenge during my free time. I shouldn't be indulging myself as much.

I have two compositions about done, just needing a few fix ups, but it's the third longer one that I've had a bit of composer's block on. Been coming up with better ideas on how to improve the sections I haven't been too happy with so far -- but I just need to actually create those new patterns & put those notes down.

And I'd post the two, but I'd really like to have this third one ready with 'em, to provide a bit more variety in what I post at first. Afterwards, I'll probably post one or two at a time.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:16 PM
feeling mega-good!

My first plan to capture video failed because the microphone situation didn't work out so well. The sound levels I got were inaudibly low.

Fortunately, I have more microphones around! I'll keep trying!

Of course, even once I figure that out, there's still the issue of actually playing the music right. But even that's still coming along fine. I actually feel retroactively horrible for practicing more each day for the past few days than I did when I was taking piano lessons. I'll have to see if I can keep it up.

The first couple days I mostly worked on a few things I used to know really well but had lost somewhat: some preludes by Bach, the second movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (you know, the best one), and the first of Debussy's Deux Arabesques (I never got the technique down for the second, although I'll have to work on that soon). Also Doctor Gradus Ad Parnassum and The Little Shepherd as part of Children's Corner. Actually, that's so many things that I didn't actually get quite all the way with any of them, but that's okay because I have tons of time still and mostly just wanted to use some things I was familiar with as a warm-up to get used to all this piano business again.

Yesterday I worked on Serenade for the Doll from Children's Corner. Aside from one bit a third of the way through, it's not very hard. Of course, it helps a lot that I've listened to it quite a bit, it being my favorite piece from the suite. On the other hand, I'm also playing it slowly, and picking up the tempo is going to be a whole lot more frantic, with all of the hand motion.

Today I mostly hacked away at the first quarter of the Brahms, the part I had kind of learned before. I knew pretty well what it was supposed to sound like, but I never bothered to really perfect it. No more! Well, like everything, it's still coming along, but I have a good feeling.

So far I feel like I'm on track for significant successes, but I can't get too pleased with myself; this is the sort of thing I'll need to keep working hard at consistently lest I fall off again. Still, I think easing myself into it by setting up relatively loosely defined goals (instead of having assignments handed down from other people) is really helping me stay cool and focused about it so far.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
the second movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (you know, the best one)
You mean the one no one knows because it's an interlude to the two better movements everyone does know? oh snap

I've actually been considering practicing piano again myself, and probably focusing on all of Moonlight Sonata. I've been learning off-and-on for well over a decade and I have very little to show for it, but I'd like to change that just a little bit.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 PM
First Crusade! Judge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gredlen View Post
You mean the one no one knows because it's an interlude to the two better movements everyone does know? oh snap
pfft, people only reeeally know the first movement. They're missing out. Sort of like how people only sort of know the chorale from Beethoven's 9th.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:07 PM

I think plenty of people know the third movement, but they just don't realize it and certainly don't think of it when they hear "Moonlight Sonata."
Old 02-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

I did a bunch of sprites this week that I hate. One is salvageable but the rest aren't going to make the cut. Most of my time was spent trying to make a enemy that will affect time but I couldn't make a decent walking clock/hourglass to save my life. I've also been making short little sections of a level using Mappy and testing them out and that's going alright.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:23 AM
feeling mega-good!

I only learned the first two movements, because it was for a Sonata/Sonatina competition where you only needed to learn two. (I guess otherwise it'd be unfair to pick one with only two movements because it'd be presumably shorter and easier to learn?) And the third movement is much more difficult than the dirge-tastic first, and short, calm second.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
The former is actually going to be really easy, since I already still know two of the pieces really well, have played two others quite a bit, and Jimbo's Lullaby is just really easy, leaving only Golliwogg's Cakewalk. But it'll be a good start.
Oh man, the Golliwog's Cakewalk is pretty much my favorite piece of piano music ever. When I was in high school I played for a few years, and while my overall level was never that high (I was playing out some Conservatory book at level 4 or 5), that one piece I practiced to kingdom come and could play pretty well (Conservatory book level 9!). Playing the piano really wasn't for me, but I do wish that I could still play that piece all the way through like I used to be able to. There are still bits that I can pull off, but they're getting uglier every year...
Old 02-17-2009, 09:31 AM
feeling mega-good!

The main reason I never put much time into it before is that it's a really big pain to read. There's so many accidentals that I think I'll probably end up just learning the notes by ear.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
The main reason I never put much time into it before is that it's a really big pain to read. There's so many accidentals that I think I'll probably end up just learning the notes by ear.
That's how I learned most of it!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:59 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Oh geez, I remember playing that piece, like, decades ago. (Literally. God I'm old.)

The weird thing is, I don't remember playing it more recently than that, which is odd, since I've occasioanlly skimmed back through my last few years of piano books from when I was taking lessons. I wonder what happened to it?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Hawkguy

I need to make a commitment to writing out this damn story that's in my head.

goddamn writer's block and hating myself
Old 02-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
I need to make a commitment to writing out this damn story that's in my head.
You can do it, stingray!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:47 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Hey, there are some obvious animations it needs (jumping and such), but for starting out that looks pretty nice. You may have said this up-thread, but are you using an off-the-shelf engine for the physics and enemy manipulation or did you roll your own?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

I rolled my own. I'm using some code from the XNA website to handle menus, pausing and such but that's it. Actually, most of the code I'm using is just recycled from previous stuff I worked on.

I'm working on new enemies and new animations for the player but the animation stuff is slow going.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 AM

Balrog, I charge you with finishing something.
Specifically, finish reading this post I linked to earlier, so you can take nicer video of your game, dammit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gredlen View Post
What you need to do is go to this topic and read either of the first two guides.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Okay, I'll try. I tried Fraps and something else but youtube rejected them so I gave up and went the quick and dirty route. I will reattempt.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:31 PM

For capturing video, use CamStudio (there's a link in that thread). After that, you can encode it with MediaCoder or VirtualDub and you should be good to upload.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I used FRAPS and Media Coder to encode it. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

I wrote so much for chapter 2 that I'm having to split it into two chapters.

Huzzah!