The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Default Finishing Time: 2009 Projects and Goals

Okay, every year I get emo after Christmas when I start thinking about what I've accomplished during that year. My goal for the past three years has been to write a game and I've sunk a lot of time into projects which I ended up abandoning for one reason or another. Well, anyway, I really want to finish a game this year so I'm enlisting you guys to help. I need two things with some regularity: pats on the back for finishing stuff and kicks in the ass when I don't deliver on time.

Goals:
5 sprites per week
1 level(area) per month
1 gameplay 'thing' per week

Deadlines:
Uh, let's say 01/05/09 for the first weekly one and 01/31/09 for the first monthly one.

So if anyone else has something they want to accomplish this year and would like some encouragement/harassment, feel free to post the goals and deadlines here.

Here's the sprites I've done so far:

Old 12-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Fun Club Agent

Pronouns: He/him

I want to make a game too, but it seems so overwhelming. Maybe 2009 will be my year? I just don't want it to be a waste. It seems silly for me to say, as it seems out of my grasp. Meh.

Ignore the pessimism.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Goodbye!

My goal is to finish my thesis on Lacanian poetics. Also to pick up the thread of my increased physical fitness that started this summer, but has a ways to go yet.

I'm also going to try to win my university's poetry contest this year. I placed third last year, and figure I can do better. What the hell, right? This is probably the only way to get paid for poetry in this day and age.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Justice is my Middle Name

I'm going to finish a story, hopefully two!

To make my goal a bit more possible, I'll focus most of my time on a shorter children's story that I've got in my head. I only plan on it being like 30 pages (with pictures!), so it shouldn't take too incredibly long.

Let's shoot for 5 pages a week. If I do more, that's great, but I still have to do 5 pages for the next week. I'll use the 1/05/09 timeline as the end of the first week.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

That is one crappy exit sprite.

I like the little king though! A lot!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Orb Friend

My goal is to finally frickin' start that webcomic I've been planning for several years.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:53 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
That is one crappy exit sprite.

I like the little king though! A lot!
Ha ha, it does suck, I just needed a sprite for the level editor and I couldn't think of anything. It's a WIP.

silent_snake18, KCar, and Sheana, make some quantifiable goal and deadline so we can congratulate/flagellate you.

rei, respect knuckles or knuckle sandwich, the choice is yours. See you on the 5th.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:56 AM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

I figure if we're going to stick to our projects, we probably shouldn't let this thread get off the main page.

I've been progressing on compositions: I'd been jotting down ideas into FamiTracker as I've been getting them over the past few months, picked it up again over the past few weeks -- and I've managed to further develop a few of those ideas. Even if they're still incomplete, I'm pretty happy with the results so far! Though, I could still stand to make them sound a bit shinier still. I've also got a bit of composer's block on one piece, but it's nothing too major -- I've at least got an overall idea of how I want the piece to end & loop, and I have a few other pieces to work on in the meantime.

Also, I managed to create a bass drum sample with the KORG DS-10 synth, one that I was pretty happy with; I recorded it onto my computer and imported it into FamiTracker -- and it works quite nicely! Adds a bit of heft to those pieces that'll use it. The only thing is, I still want to create a decent snare drum sample -- and ergh, I'm having a pretty-tough time doing that. I created a sample that sounds like I'm hitting a large metal lid, which actually sounds kinda cool withing the KORG DS-10 software itself -- but, it doesn't import too well into FamiTracker, given the intense amount of filtering that goes on when it needs to downgrade the sample. I'd search elsewhere for a snare drum sound -- but I'd prefer to create my own samples, since I don't really have much space in tags to credit others for theirs; not to mention that I'd have to actively search out public domain or creative commons sounds, which for me, at least, takes time in its own right.

Still though, overall, things are coming along reasonably well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gredlen View Post
If you're looking for a place to upload music, I've seen this Tindeck site used before and it seems to work fine.
I've been looking over this site, and it looks a fine option! My only concern is that, from what I read of the FAQ, it seems users aren't given the option to delete their uploads -- which would be a problem in case I feel I need to update any pieces I create. It seems users have to convince the site maintainers that there's a compelling reason to delete a song. But, well, that just means I need to make sure the pieces are as finalized as possible before uploading them.

... ehhhhhxcept it looks like they're down for the month. Ergh, yeah, I can imagine how running that site gets expensive, worse so if people abuse it.

So! Balrog! How go your sprites and gameplay?

Last edited by Warg; 01-16-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:10 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
I figure if we're going to stick to our projects, we probably shouldn't let this thread get off the main page.
Word. My bad, I've been slacking this week, sort of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
So! Balrog! How go your sprites and gameplay?
I did a bunch of sprites this week but I ended up rewriting a bunch of code to simplify what was there and make it less hacky. I'll double post this Monday to make up.

I recommend using freewebs for hosting files. I've been using it since college with no problems.

Also, Famitracker is really fun to use once you get the hang of it. I used to play around with it and I'll use it again when I start making music for my game. If I remember right it has a MIDI converter that's pretty useful.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:38 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Things I'd like to do in 09:

1.) Blog at least three times a week to get in the habit of writing regularly.

2.) Get my MCSE. (Books just came in the mail yesterday, so I'm ahead on this one.)

3.) Move back home (Baton Rouge, LA) and find a job. #2 will help with that some.

4.) Begin my sleeve (tattoo). Income tax return should help with this.

5.) Find a pair of shoes I really like.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Looking at cars in the last couple days made me realize that I need to learn to drive a manual shift.

I have no clue how I'm going to do that as no one I know here owns one, but I assume a driving school will do something like that? Or would they just laugh me out of the office?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by han_shot_first View Post
1.) Blog at least three times a week to get in the habit of writing regularly.
What's your blog?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIt's Mondaaaaay!

Balrog, are you ready to share more of your talents with the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
[...] Famitracker is really fun to use once you get the hang of it. I used to play around with it and I'll use it again when I start making music for my game. If I remember right it has a MIDI converter that's pretty useful.
Yeah, I've actually been playing around with FamiTracker for at least a couple of years now, in a scattered on-&-off fashion. It's just that, after putting it off for so long for other things, and afterward toying around with instrument and track settings for quite a while, I finally decided within the past several months to hunker down and actually compose some tunes. I actually did finally complete something in mid-late September; I felt really proud of myself at the time, thinking that my short looping piece sounded polished, complex, & dramatic -- and then I walked away from it for two days, listened to it again, and realized it was a disorganized, convoluted mess. Kind of like a lot of my posts, sadly!

Even now, I'm still learning a lot, in terms of using built-in effects such pitch slides & portamento effects; manually inputting effects like echo/reverb and duty-cycle switching; and most importantly, getting a better hang of making good compositions. I feel I'm getting much better at putting out a somewhat-complex and moderately-shiny sound -- but by far the most difficult thing for me right now is making different parts of a song that, as a whole, flow together well.

I'm actually kinda happy with how these last couple of compositions of mine are turning out, as a result of more practice -- even if they're not completely perfect. Still, I might actually be able to post a couple of things by at least early next month.

So, more of you out there posted desires to get started with, or complete, your own projects. Everyone else who posted here -- how are the rest of you going toward own goals? [Best to post at least something, whether or not you're happy with your own progress -- even if it's just to say you have yet to start or resume on what you want to do! Just keep us, and more-importantly yourself, afloat on how you're doing!]
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Evocative

I'm actually doing well with my "getting exercise and losing weight" resolution. I've been going to the gym and hitting up the erg machine almost every day. People tell me the weight loss has been noticeable; I certainly find that I have less flab on certain parts of my body.

Alas, my book reading has declined - I've only read three books thus far this year. This is subpar for me. Maybe I should just rack up a bunch of short books - There's something very satisfying about novellas and short novels. Then again, it's also great to read really long books once in a while, and I do want to read and discuss 2666. Choices, choices...
Old 01-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Here's the sprites I did during the last two weeks.
I'm uploading a video of an earlier build of the game now. I'm still working out the kinks on the rewrite so it'll be a bit before I post anything interesting gameplay-wise :|