The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 07-18-2008, 12:08 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Default What are your OTHER podcasts?

I listen to TWiT and the CAGcast, but I guess those are usual suspects for us nerd folk.

I've recently discovered Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, which seems excellent so far. It's a history podcast that focuses on the human peculiarities and sociological implications of historical events, as opposed to the dry academic approach that seems to be more common.

This American Life.

TEDtalks audio.

And sometimes I listen to travel podcasts, though I haven't found one I really like yet.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

GFW Radio always. Retronauts when we get it. 1up Yours sometimes.

Edit: I knew I was forgetting one. 1upFM.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:11 PM
It's all good, man

GFW Radio, 1Up FM (they should drop the normal part and just do backlog), 1Up Yours, and Giant Bombcast.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:14 PM
gatchapon 3*

i really don't like 1upfm. It's just not doing it for me.

I listen to the other 1up casts, Coverville, XLR8R, SolipsisticNation, Electronicast, Yo La La (french hip hop!), and a handfull of other music podcasts.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:28 PM
A Love Supreme Dreaming

Twit stuff, specifically The Tech Guy and Macbreak Weekly. NPR shows like Wait Wait Dont Tell Me, Radio Lab and of course This American Life. I've been really into You Look Nice Today with Merlin Mann and friends as well as Smodcast for comedy. Then of course Retronauts and 1upFM. Suttnet and Kohler are great. Since I don't have cable, I listen to Around the Horn and PTI through podcast. I listen to more but these are my favorite. Total podcast nerd here. I do podcasts rather than watch tv. I literally dont watch any television except for when Lost is on or when Playoff sports comes around. Except basketball, I wary that all season long.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Fruit.

The Bugle - Audio Newspaper For A Visual World
Jordan, Jesse GO!
WNYC's Radio Lab
You Look Nice Today

The Bugle is a couple of brits doing a weekly satirical "audio newspaper" which is really great, usually runs about a half hour. Jordan, Jesse GO! is a couple of guys talking about stuff for an hour, usually a lot of pop culture talk, very funny. WNYC's Radio Lab is a very interesting very well produced science show for the layman, even if you're not too interested in science it's still fun to listen to. You Look Nice Today is three guys talking about stuff (never heard that before!), a lot of pop culture stuff and kind of obtuse humor. (I'm sure I didn't do any of these justice, so I recommend just trying them!)
Old 07-18-2008, 12:43 PM

I used to have a ton of podcasts on my playlist, but I didn't have enough time to keep up with them so the list got trimmed down.

My current favorites are Retronauts and the Penny Arcade podcast. As they both pop up pretty rarely I save them for good long stretches of data loading/book shelving.

I also will listen to the Wizards of the Coast D&D podcast from time to time, and I'm trying out a letterboxing podcast. Listening to a bunch of people playing D&D in The World's Largest Dungeon podcast amuses me and is a good time killer. After reading "The Areas of My Expertise" I downloaded the Little Gray Book Lectures podcast. I like it, too bad it doesn't update any more. I like the 1up show, but I always have battery issues when watching videos. I also keep some Strongbad and Making Fiends on the ipod for cartoon emergencys.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:03 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing8 View Post
Radio Lab
This is the best podcast.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:06 PM
gatchapon 3*

www.dlcanticle.com, though we haven't had an ep in a while due to technical issues.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Fast Karate for the Gentleman is really the only one I take time out to listen to.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:48 PM
It's all good, man

I'll agree 1Up FM isn't that great, but I really like Backlog so far. We'll see how it develops.

I didn't mention Retronauts because I thought it was a given, but whatever, Retronauts.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

I don't listen to any podcasts ever, but I would listen to one where Tomm and I just bitched at each other about whatever.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Getting Equipped

1up Yours
Retronauts
1up FM
Player One
Top Secret - The Bionic Commando Podcast
Old 07-22-2008, 04:20 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
I don't listen to any podcasts ever, but I would listen to one where Tomm and I just bitched at each other about whatever.
I still think not listening to Retronauts should be a punishable offense. Maybe not, say, banning, but maybe you get a thread made about you where everyone points and laughs at you.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:27 PM
A No.1

As much as I love it at times, Retronauts can have pacing problems and I generally only listen to it if I'm at least mildly interested in the subject. (I don't like the seemingly arbitrary points where the music comes in, and then the conversation continues on the same trend afterwards. I like the idea of music giving us a break, but it often kills the flow of the on-going conversation and generally irritates me.)
Old 07-18-2008, 02:32 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

I'll have to check out Radio Lab. Seems pretty good.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:38 PM
borgn

Most of the 1up podcasts, minus Sports and GFW. I also like the Penny Arcade casts (those guys talk funny), and recently the D&D walkthrough podcast with the PA & PvP guys. The seemingly defunct Ask Mike mini-cast over at Rifftrax was good while it lated.

And that's it! I'm actually surprised I keep up with as many as I do, since I'm not a huge fan of talk radio in the first place. Are there any really funny ones out there? I'd be really into a John Hodgman podcast.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I'd be really into a John Hodgman podcast.
You tried the Little Gray Book Lectures podcasts? There's not too many, but I was very happy for about a week there.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:15 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Anyone else losing interest in Duckfeed.tv podcasts?

In the last year or so I've found myself deleting the podcasts unlistened to. Thier latest episode of WOFF really highlighted how different the network is and after listening to it and thinking about what they said and where they're going I realized I just wasn't interested anymore.

Still two great guys but I just find that what interests them and what interests me no longer overlaps.

I ended up unsubbing and unpatreoning.

I should reflect more often on what in my life is no longer bringing me any value.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Most of the 1up podcasts, minus Sports and GFW.
Take out Legendary Thread too and this is me, since I'm still not convinced that GFW doesn't just talk about PC games. Since I have zero interest in PC gaming, the ratio of noise-to-signal in GFW should better skew towards noise for me to try it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
1up Yours, GFW Radio, and Retronauts. Honestly, I want some non-gaming ones, but can't seem to find any that make me like it enough ot subscribe.
Um, the Harvard Business Review video podcast? It's not exactly an easy pick for the treadmill or the gym bike, though.

I'll be mining this thread for suggestions. I'd especially like World News podcasts, science-stuff, and movie podcasts. And on that last subject, since my only experience is with 1up's stuff, a similar approach would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
The 1up podcasts (I like 1upFM, but they do need to do something to differentiate themselves for IUpYours)
Yeah. Just being a profanity-free, alcohol-free version of 1up Yours won't cut it much longer for the Kid's Table. I liked it when EGM Live had Shoe and Jennifer, because it had an actual structure which gave it a tighter focus, but that's long in the past now. I like the Backlog, especially since I can (so far) relate to their subject, but I'll probably lose interest in it in a hurry once they tackle games I don't care about.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:37 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Take out Legendary Thread too and this is me, since I'm still not convinced that GFW doesn't just talk about PC games. Since I have zero interest in PC gaming, the ratio of noise-to-signal in GFW should better skew towards noise for me to try it
How many times do you have to be told GFW Radio doesn't talk about PC games much before you believe it?

Over half of the show is not related to specific games at all.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
I say thee neigh

I listen to all the 1up stuff except Legendary Thread and Sports Anomaly. I will sometimes listen to those but I have to be really...really bored.
Giant Bombcast

I love Top Secret: the Bionic Commando podcast. It's so good, you won't even think it's an official developer podcast! Yes that is a backhanded insult at other developer podcasts I've listened to that are nothing more than glorified commercials! This excludes the Bungie podcast which is more of a behind-the-scenes hijinks podcast than just a commercial. But still not good as Top Secret

That being said I also listen to Kojima's podcasts. It's interesting because he usually seems kind of measured and cautious about what he says in the written interviews and such but he's a lot more relaxed here.

Kevin Smith's Smodcast basically gives me an excuse to never watch his movies again. It's exactly what I expect from his movies. The low intensity Brian Posehn-esque tones of Scott Mosier make an excellent contrast to Silent Bob's animated and "colorful" stories.

The amount of good videogame podcasts to bad ratio is pretty amazing compared to...like...everything else. Like the comic book podcasts I've listened to? Oy vey
Old 07-18-2008, 02:56 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Quote:
I'm actually surprised I keep up with as many as I do, since I'm not a huge fan of talk radio in the first place.
The talk program talent pool is suddenly a lot bigger and more diverse with podcasts than it was with radio, because there's a whole legion of people who have interesting things to say, but don't have the skills to give a Clear Channel producer a spectacular rusty trombone.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by destro713 View Post
The talk program talent pool is suddenly a lot bigger and more diverse with podcasts than it was with radio, because there's a whole legion of people who have interesting things to say, but don't have the skills to give a Clear Channel producer a spectacular rusty trombone.
Or even a mediocre one, in some cases.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:46 AM

Bat Segundo

http://www.edrants.com/segundo/

Click on the archive link for (almost) all of his interviews; the latest two have yet to be archived.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:56 AM
It's all good, man

Now that Phil's leaving Rebel FM, I think I'm done with it too. I'll give Good Grief a listen.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Now that Phil's leaving Rebel FM, I think I'm done with it too.
He's leaving too?

I guess future episodes will just be Anthony and Arthur talking about farts and cat excrement while eating loud food in front of the mike or something.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Sunkist fruit snacks

I'm still going to listen to RebelFM. Sometimes it's nice just to listen to people being foolish, interspersed with random video game tidbits.

Good Grief is good... but not great. Scott basically carries it, while Tina says stuff related to video games that is mostly incorrect (or so I've observed).
Old 04-01-2009, 09:24 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintomordor View Post
I'm still going to listen to RebelFM. Sometimes it's nice just to listen to people being foolish, interspersed with random video game tidbits.
The CAGcast does this better.

Or maybe it doesn't, and it's just a big city Jew thing.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

It took me a while to figure it out but RebelFM has nothing that I look for in a podcast. I'm generally looking for one of the following: a well researched discussion of a singular subject where I will learn something, a unique, different and interesting perspective on a subject I am familiar with, a discussion of something where distinct well-reasoned conclusions are reached or a podcast of entertaining personalities where the subject matter doesn't uh, matter. RebelFM's best shot is at the 3rd or maybe the 4th options. It just falls into the same trap as a lot of other gaming themed podcasts where it's just a bunch of dudes talking without any unique insight.

Tags
podcast , recommendations , whats up hot dog