The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-18-2018, 08:54 PM
of the Black Falcons

Very nice!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:08 PM
HOLY GIBLETS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Very nice!
Thanks!

Anyway, I am all done. Guardian Dragon was a great fight. I was annoyed by the invasion after until I realized I could run past. the penultimate boss was okay, but didn't really fit the Souls dynamic. Kill both boss monsters within seconds of each other doesn't work very well. Nashandra was a pain until I realized I really did need to take out the curse bots. The end credits were gorgeous, though not as god as Nameless Song.

Overall, I liked Dark Souls II better than Demon's Souls, but nowhere near as well as Dark Souls I.

And now, to tribute the video without which I probably wouldn't have touched the Souls franchise to begin with, but now have played every game it mentions:

Old 01-18-2018, 10:17 PM
Binglebottom

Undead Crypt just seems, uh... boring, and I don't know what about it could summon such strong enough ire for a person to hate it. I did enjoy it my first time, though. It isn't really asking for a direct comparison to Dark's catacombs, but that's my point of comparison, and the catacombs are pretty excellently designed. I think the crypt suffers most of all from almost never being confusing.

Just remembered that I did a photo series for Dark2. Some people here may be interested.

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7
Old 01-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Frightful Hobgoblin

I love these. I haven't actually played DSII (it's next up after I finally clear the original, having loved the first half and shelved it for years at a certain sticking point), but these pictures are ensuring I'll see it through to the end, and really making me want to do so on a CRT. The slight reduction in fidelity makes some of these scenes, irresistibly, look almost like they're from some PS1-era FMV, giving them the frisson of unearthing a forgotten classic. Others look like they could be from something earlier in From's own career - a PS2 King's Field sequel, maybe. It's a great photo series and I can only hope the game's Drangleic is as mysterious and melancholy and dead as this one.

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 01-19-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:41 PM

I got kind of tired of proceeding through areas in a linear fashion, so I've started re-visiting zones I've already been to in order to look for new paths. I found the passage through Heide's Tower to No Man's Cove, and also the path from Majula to the Shaded Woods; for a long time I thought the passage to Shaded Woods was the same one I'd used to enter Majula from Things Betwixt, so I had ignored it.

While not all of the areas are designed equally, and they mostly seem to just radiate out from Majula as independent paths rather than interconnecting in interesting ways, I do like the way they're designed in such a way as to facilitate interesting encounters. Issun mentioned the gank squads of the Forest of Lost Giants, and there are quite a few battles there where enemy melee guys are supported by dudes hurling explosives from windows or roofs. Heide's Tower, by contrast, is mostly duels against one or two gigantic dudes at a time. Huntsman's Copse doesn't exactly have gank squads, but the open areas do have lots of single enemies or pairs who will join a battle in progress if you get too close; the last part of the zone then sets you up to fight on narrow ledges. No Man's Wharf gives you a sort of medieval urban warfare, where staying in the open exposes you to archer fire while going into the buildings exposes you to close-range ambushes. The foggy area of the Silent Woods sets you up against invisible enemies in a (mostly) wide-open area, while the ruins feature hard-hitting enemies and hidden curse jars meant to curtail your movements. While the combat can be frustrating, it's rarely tedious, thanks to the diverse environments and encounter designs.

I've cleared No Man's Wharf, and I'm currently exploring the last area of the Silent Woods. The lion men aren't terribly difficult individually, and even if I screw up and get hit, they're slow enough that I can generally heal without problems. Unfortunately, they hit hard and have just enough durability that I can't kill them in a single combo, so they tend to murder me if I go up against more than one at a time. Luckily, by this point in the game I have the equipment and stats that I can approach enemies in a variety of ways, so if necessary I can use the shortbow to plink away at enemies from a distance. Sure, I'm aware that every wooden arrow I shoot is another 10 souls I won't be getting back, but it's better to spend a few souls killing enemies safely from a distance than to risk losing a bunch of them by rushing into the (proverbial and/or literal) lion's den.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:53 PM
Come, noble knights!

If you're playing Scholar of the First Sin, Heide's Tower of Flame gets a lot nastier once the more human-sized knights wake up; those guys hit faster and harder. Also the big dumpy knights are only easy when you can fight them 1v1.
Old Today, 06:13 PM
Binglebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
these pictures are ensuring I'll see it through to the end, and really making me want to do so on a CRT.
I prefer playing Dark Souls and its sequel on CRT TVs, even if reading some of the text is difficult. Those photos have less fidelity than what you'd see on the actual screens, and aren't really an accurate representation of the experience, but yes, it is very different compared to seeing the games on modern televisions.
Old Today, 06:25 PM
Frightful Hobgoblin

Oh I'll bet - I didn't mean to imply anything about how the games must look in person, just that the photos create a gorgeous austere graininess that give them an out-of-time (and timeless) look.

I can imagine II's text being next to useless on a CRT, but this could be fine on a player's 2nd or 3rd run, when most equipment and items are identifiable by sight...
Old Today, 06:30 PM

The Smelter Demon and the Ruins Sentries are down, though I think I still have quite a bit to explore in the Iron Keep and Lost Bastille. The Keep actually is pretty cool. Its exterior looks intimidating, as does the the big open area, but the environment isn't terribly difficult to deal with, as long as you're careful. And, as Issun said, there are quite a few fun ways to use the environment against the enemies there.

The Lost Bastille isn't nearly as impressive-looking, but it seems to reward exploration even more than most other areas in this game, with lots of different paths to follow and nooks and crannies to poke into.

The bosses are getting tougher, on average, but I've found a couple Rings of Life Protection, and they're making the boss fights a lot less frustrating. I really like having the assistance of a friendly phantom during boss fights, since that means I don't need to worry about being the sole recipient of the boss's attentions; by having a ring equipped, I can stay human (and keep my souls!) if I die during a boss fight, so it's a simple matter to subsequently return to the boss fight, summon any friendly phantoms I want, and try again. Plus, I don't need to take time to recover my loss souls while re-trying the boss fight. Overall, it's totally worth the 3,000 soul cost of repairing the ring.

Oh, and I did try fighting the Pursuer in the Iron Keep, and he's still a massive dick. I'm pretty sure he's just plain tougher than other early bosses.

Incidentally, once I learned that you can get to the Lost Bastille by examining the big bird's nest in the Forest of Fallen Giants I took a quick detour there, and was reminded that I'd fought the Pursuer there so many times that all the enemies between the bonfire and the boss room had stopped spawning. As I climbed the stairs of the ruined fort, looking out through the gaps in the wall at the sea and the sunset, I thought that it would be kind of nice to be able to just wander around Drangleic was well, taking in the sights without having to constantly worry about getting ganked by hostile undead. It was oddly peaceful and relaxing.

Tags
dark souls , from software , hell of dark , strongio , you defeated , you died