The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 PM

Kids are dropping like flies thanks to Four Loko! It is supposed to hold the alcohol content of six cans of beer in one can, plus enough caffeine to keep you drinking even more cans of Loko. Until you die.

I must try this!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Kids are dropping like flies thanks to Four Loko! It is supposed to hold the alcohol content of six cans of beer in one can, plus enough caffeine to keep you drinking even more cans of Loko. Until you die.

I must try this!
You watching MSNBC too?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:42 PM
:]

Quote:

I must try this!
Really I had one and didn't even get a buzz. I thought it was weak and tasted really bitter.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:09 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzchamp View Post
Really I had one and didn't even get a buzz. I thought it was weak-
It wasn't. They're like 11-12%, which is almost twice the strength of beer. That's basically the strength of wine. Except it's in a huge-ass can, and has caffeine which means you don't feel as drunk. Which is the whole problem in the first place!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
You watching MSNBC too?
The same time as you! I've synchronized my routines to yours. Why? Well, you'll find out some day.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:11 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

A real man would wield single malt Scotch in one hand and a double shot of Cuban espresso in the other. None of this baby candy shit.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:25 PM
:]

Quote:

I must try this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzchamp View Post
Really I had one and didn't even get a buzz. I thought it was weak and tasted really bitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
It wasn't. They're like 11-12%, which is almost twice the strength of beer. That's basically the strength of wine. Except it's in a huge-ass can, and has caffeine which means you don't feel as drunk. Which is the whole problem in the first place!
SO I had one of these over the weekend at a Halloween Party and it did not end well lol. I don't know why last time it didn't do anything to me...but NEVER again.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:36 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Give me some good cocktails to mix with Scotch (don't worry, I won't be using the good stuff... or Black Label, for that matter) - we're having guests on Saturday and I need options.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:50 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Give me some good cocktails to mix with Scotch (don't worry, I won't be using the good stuff... or Black Label, for that matter) - we're having guests on Saturday and I need options.
Rob Roy - add sweet vermouth (some people like only a few drops, some people like 1 part vermouth to 2 parts scotch. Experiment!) and a cherry. (Yes, it is in fact a manhattan with scotch instead of whisky. Can also do it with an Old Fashioned, where you add bitters and muddle sugar and a cherry, then a splash of soda to top it all off.)

Rusty Nail - track down some Drambuie, a liqueur that's basically scotch with honey and herbs. 1 part of Drambuie to 2 or 3 parts scotch. It ultimately tastes like scotch, but sweeter and with some more floral/herbal flavors thrown in.

The Godfather - Scotch and Amaretto. Same proportions as the Rusty Nail, Scotch gets 2 to 3 times as much as the liqueur.

Those are most of the basic ones. You can also make a collins with scotch (or, basically, anything ever). 2 oz. of the alcohol in a tall glass, sweet and sour mix or if you're fancy, lemon juice and simple syrup (how is that fancier) and a cherry on top. Add soda or sprite to make a fizz!

Doing a google search on scotch cocktails also turned up a bunch of variations on the basics (add vermouth to the rusty nail, kahlua instead of amaretto, etc. etc.) and also some pretty crazy ones.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
I think you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to drink it as is. Maybe mix it with a little water or pour it on ice.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:34 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Shitty Scotch, like Johnnie Walker Red or something, tastes quite good with dry ginger ale.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:52 PM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Brand View Post
Shitty Scotch, like Johnnie Walker Red or something, tastes quite good with dry ginger ale.
Same goes for shitty bourbon. One of the easier ways to get drunk I can think of.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:34 PM
We just don't know.

The same goes for any kind of alcohol - the better it is the less you find yourself wanting/needing to mix it. It's just that there is a far wider variety and penetration of scotches (and other whiskies) at the high end than at the low end, as opposed to other hard liquors. Scotch isn't in magical class where you shouldn't be mixing it because of some innate property. You just wouldn't tend to mix alcohol from a $50+ bottle with some cheap soda pop or orange juice, be that vodka or scotch or gin. You still could if you wanted to though, and you wouldn't be a sinner or anything. (Just, why would you spend so much to turn around and mask the flavor in a bottle that actually has flavor?) I've basically just never taken much stock in "doing it wrong" arguments for any kind of food or drink or alcohol. Eating and drinking should be about enjoyment, not rules.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:36 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
The same goes for any kind of alcohol - the better it is the less you find yourself wanting/needing to mix it.
Yeah, I think the first time I realized this was when I had Patron for the first time. The idea that tequila could be consumed without burning and requiring a chaser of some sort blew my mind.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:32 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
track down some Drambuie,
I'm offended at the suggestion that I didn't have some already.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to go with Godfathers, since I vaguely recall having those at some point in the distant past and liking them quite a bit.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:17 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
I'm offended at the suggestion that I didn't have some already.
Here's a guy who knows what's up.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Gettin' dizzy

OK Ive found out I cant drink Bourbon. That stuff is harsh and horrible. $20 wasted!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:53 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJimm View Post
OK Ive found out I cant drink Bourbon. That stuff is harsh and horrible. $20 wasted!
Well there's your problem!

The cheaper end of bourbon is usually only good for mixing (and it makes an excellent mixer). To drink it on its own you'll need to plunk down for a somewhat better bottle. Note: this doesn't have to be worth it for you. Although you may not even like it for mixing, because flavors and personal taste. Don't worry, you're not a bad person.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Rawrther.

I had a red bull vodka at a pool hall last night for $5.

It wasn't bad but I did feel a bit gipped when I thought about the fact I could probably just buy some vodka and some red bull for a better per unit price deal.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Gettin' dizzy

That $20 Makers Mark was enough for me. Really, I would have hated it even more if I spent like $50 and ended up hating it.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Maker's is fine to drink with Coke I guess, but you should at least try some Knob Creek or something before you completely write bourbon off.

It's not necessary to spend $50 to get a seriously good bourbon in the States. You do have to spend around that much to get a good Scotch, but that's because Scotch comes from Scotland and the import costs are built into the price. Bourbon is a better deal because it comes from Kentucky.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:52 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortbassist89 View Post

It wasn't bad but I did feel a bit gipped when I thought about the fact I could probably just buy some vodka and some red bull for a better per unit price deal.
Welcome to drinking in public. It's always more expensive. (Just like eating out at restaurants is!)
Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Yeah, mixed drinks in particular are always way more expensive than making the same thing yourself at home. A really good bartender can be worth it, though.

On the up-side, though, if you find a drink you really love while drinking out, you can probably mass produce it at home without going broke.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:15 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortbassist89 View Post

Geez, never go drinking in Toronto or NY. That would've run you $8, minimum, closer to $10 in some places.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:05 PM
troublemaker

Or at a hotel bar! My best friend and I ran up a tab that was about the same price as our room when I did my Wheel of Fortune thing, and we really didn't drink all that much.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:34 AM
The God-Slayer

I discovered recently I have a taste for whiskey. I'm wanting to explore this some more.

What are some good starter whiskeys that I can get relatively cheaply? I've been drinking Seagram's so far, and I think it's time I moved up to something better.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Bad work day = BAD

Add Rum + Coke + Hockey = Good day

But if the team loses...Suddenly, Bad Day Appears Again! The solution? Add more rum!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:47 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

YOU GUYS YOU GUYS

GUYS!!!

LOOK AT IT

I want that so badly.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Your life is forfeit

So, I thought the bar I was at the other night had Pimm's on the shelf behind a bunch of other bottles, but it turned out to be some other liquor with a similar label. So the bartender wasn't able to make me a Pimm's cup, which is a shame, because I was in the mood for one. She improvised, though, and made me a negroni with Angostura bitters rather than Campari. It was a pretty good substitute! Much more bitter aftertaste and lacking the cucumber garnish, but otherwise quite respectable.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
YOU GUYS YOU GUYS

GUYS!!!

LOOK AT IT

I want that so badly.
Oh man. So do I. Damn you England!

Tags
alcohol , classy shit , im drnuk already , intoxication nation