The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Fuuuuuuuuuuu------ now I have that ending theme and dance stuck in my head which hadn't happened since 1998 aaaargh
Not me!

ranrararan ranrararan, yayayayan yayayayan
Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
But yeah, for anyone else following along, Here is Greenwood is good, actually. (It's also much shorter than some of these other things, which helps.)
Here is Greenwood tickles my fancy in ways shows simply don't bother with anymore. There's moments of contemplation and drinking in a mood or scene that anime just doesn't have time for these days. It also allows for a level of emotional subtlety and leaving things unsaid/reading between the lines that most anime would rather knock you over the head with how directly characters tell each other and the viewers how they're feeling. It's also a fascinating product of the times where you've got this slow paced, anthology-structured, high budget, OVA series targeting a shoujo demographic. This would never ever under any circumstances get made today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
I often think about this scene from Here is Greenwood:

Kinda weird bit of synchronicity that, either directly after or during production of this, the director then went to work for Miyazaki/Ghibli on Ocean Waves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
80s comic, so the show would feel 90s. I'll allow it.
Does it really count as an 80s comic if it began in October of '89 and has continued until this very day? It's only spent .88% of its existence in the 80s!
Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

I didn't realize there was a new Devilman adaptation until peeking into this thread, but the discussion surrounding it was pretty enlightening so I checked it out. I'd also been oblivious to the queer reading of Devilman and while I had a lot of niggling issues with Crybaby, I did think it was a more focused piece and crystallized its core theme more effectively than the original manga. I also like that they kept the Devilman monks - those guys are the shit, even if they add nothing to the story.

I still prefer the manga though.

edit

One thing I forgot to mention: The end battle was handled way better in Crybaby, especially in relation to its core theme. The concept of the baton pass as a metaphor to visualize mutual love and acceptance of everyone instead of "othering" gives way more meaning to the beatdown that Akira lays on Ryo, as he's literally beating some sense into him. It gives way more context to Ryo's eventual come around afterwards. Regarding the emphasis on its core theme, it's also important to note the explicit change that he's still fighting Ryo to save humanity even after what happens to Miki.

Compare this to the manga, where Akira forsakes humanity after Miki's death and only confronts Ryo after humanity is extinct. There's no real reason for the Devil and Devilman army to fight other than Akira going, "fuck it, LETS BRAWL"

Last edited by Rufferto; Yesterday at 12:14 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
We just don't know.

Watching Knights of Sidonia on recommendations I saw in this thread way back. I'm six episodes in or so and it's not bad but it has yet to grab me. Locker room scenes and "getting naked to photosynthesize" have me rolling my eyes now and then. I'll push forward for now, but I'm not super impressed yet.
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

Knights of Sidonia was already the best anime for me after the uh first or second episode? Whenever they did the bold move to kill off the whole pro team just like that.
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
disguised king of surfing

look i just watched it for the space dragooning

i should check out the sequel sometime; it also has lots of space dragooning, right?
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Watching Knights of Sidonia on recommendations I saw in this thread way back. I'm six episodes in or so and it's not bad but it has yet to grab me. Locker room scenes and "getting naked to photosynthesize" have me rolling my eyes now and then. I'll push forward for now, but I'm not super impressed yet.
It looks like you've reached the point where the central story really takes off, but it doesn't change the fundamentals of what you're watching.
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM

Wicked City is probably one of the most personally offensive things I have ever seen and I don't want to talk about it.
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Tsutomu Nihei basically drew the same comic over and over and it was good every time but no one would buy it, and then in Knights of Sidonia he was just like, "Okay, fine, I give up. I guess you want a wacky harem and Ashamed of Your Words and Deeds fan service? Here, you can have it." And then he finally got more mainstream recognition and a relatively successful anime adaptation.

Later on in the series he takes these elements and re-claims them in way that is more in his post-human style, but they do present as kind of typical eye-roll inducing fan-service at first.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM
>TRANCE

Just watched the first couple episodes of Devilman and had to go for a run after. They even explicitly say he "transitions" to his devil form?
Old Today, 01:26 AM
Blue Comet

Anybody watching Darling in the FranXX? It's pretty...anime...that is to say, nondescript MC "accidentally" happens on some girl bathing and she's totally into him for no discernible reason, also the main mech has pantyshots--but I enjoyed it. I guess I'm a softie, I'm in a mood for some romance anime and it seems that FranXX revolves around couples falling in love and working together. Now, I know better than to look for realistic relationships in anime, but even silly depictions of love can be nice these days
Old Today, 08:43 AM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Tsutomu Nihei basically drew the same comic over and over and it was good every time but no one would buy it, and then in Knights of Sidonia he was just like, "Okay, fine, I give up. I guess you want a wacky harem and Ashamed of Your Words and Deeds fan service? Here, you can have it." And then he finally got more mainstream recognition and a relatively successful anime adaptation.

Later on in the series he takes these elements and re-claims them in way that is more in his post-human style, but they do present as kind of typical eye-roll inducing fan-service at first.
I'll give Nihei his due: The cosmic and body horror of the first couple volumes of KoS lurks around every corner, and this version of the Gauna scare the shit out of me.
Old Today, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendrick View Post
Anybody watching Darling in the FranXX? It's pretty...anime...that is to say, nondescript MC "accidentally" happens on some girl bathing and she's totally into him for no discernible reason, also the main mech has pantyshots--but I enjoyed it. I guess I'm a softie, I'm in a mood for some romance anime and it seems that FranXX revolves around couples falling in love and working together. Now, I know better than to look for realistic relationships in anime, but even silly depictions of love can be nice these days
Literally everything about this show is a painfully boring, tired, wornout trope. If I didn't love giant fighting robots so much, I'd probably slide completely off this show. If you want a good romance thing made up of cartoons, there's a hundred different places I could point you towards that will offer a more straight forwards and realistic depiction of love and courtship than the literally horny girl (She has horns! The deep symbolism!) with Aspergers throwing herself at a milktoast MC on a whim.
Old Today, 10:30 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendrick View Post
It's Trigger, so there's reasonable odds they're Going Somewhere with it. We've just got one episode so far, so it's a little early to tell; imagine judging Gurren Lagan or Kill la Kill off just the first episode.
Old Today, 10:42 AM

Speaking of good romance, yesterday I sat down and watched the "Director's Cut" of the first episode of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. Which is to say, it's essentially the original two part OVA that was released as a manga pack-on before the show itself was a thing on broadcast TV. It's the first episode but expanded out to double the length of about an hour and a half. Finally watching this has been on my bucket list for a while, and now that I've seen it I can finally say... it kinda wasn't worth it?

It's kind of nice to get acquainted with certain characters that play a more prominent role in the 2nd half of the show like Mangetsu. And the amount of extra foreshadowing going on, in hindsight, is interesting. But to be honest, everything that was cut was done so with surgical precision as to lose nothing of value that couldn't be implied or said later in the show. More over, the fat that gets cut actually elevates the material and makes the most use out of the medium. The director's cut is, in a lot of ways, a typical, literal manga adaptation. The first several times in the manga and in the director's cut that we're presented with Rakugo, it's with overly abbreviated scenes and several characters talking over the performances in order to explain directly to the audience what's going on. And this just isn't actually necessary in a motion picture format! You can let the performances speak for themselves, which is exactly what the show proper does to great effect.

It's kind of ironic then, that *this* is the Director's Cut version, when the broadcast version is the one made afterwards with more liberties taken to adjust the material to better suit the format and manipulate the tone. A lot of the scenes that were removed, were ones that made Yakumo/Kiku look playful/mischievous due to his interactions with Yotaro. (Treating him like a puppy, buying him clothes, cleaning his ears out like he did with Sukeroku, etc.) And excising those scenes was better for the show as a whole since it makes Yakumo a much more dark, brooding, and mysterious character before heading into his backstory arc. The Yakumo from the first episode of the TV show, you could totally see being a murderer as Konatsu accuses, providing the hook to make the viewer want to dig into his past. But from the tone of the Director's Cut, it's alluding far too much to the nuance and tragedy that expresses itself later.

It's always fun to get to see more of a thing you love, and examine it from different angles. But there's nothing substantially gained from this Director's Cut to merit people going out of their way to find it. You'd get the same experience just reading the first volume or two of the manga instead if that's what you really want.

Meanwhile, I can't adequately express how charming I find Yuru Camp. Something that escaped my notice the first time I watched the first two episodes, is the fact that the man doing occasional narration giving camping and wilderness tips is Akio Otsuka. Which explains all of the Big Boss crossover fanart I've been seeing of Yuru Camp.
Old Today, 02:26 PM
We just don't know.

So I finished up season 1 (Netflix Seasons, so the first 12? episodes) of Knights of Sidonia and honestly found very little to endear me to it except for BearMom, i.e. the best character ever (who is tbqh only that interesting because she is a photorealistic grizzly bear in an apron (who is also a centuries-old ace pilot and unsung Sidonian hero) and the only thing anyone seems to notice as being strange about her is her prosthetic mechanical claw-hand, and that's wonderful).

I started season 2 anyway, and literally the first scene after the credits is Draco Malfoy and his servant discovering a genetics lab hidden behind an ancient library and getting murdered by a 3-inch-tall super knight, infested by tiny Gauna, and resurrected as Ghaleon and suddenly this feels like an extremely different show, in a good and intriguing way.

EDIT: Okay, not that different after all, but still.

Last edited by Paul le Fou; Today at 04:43 PM.
Old Today, 08:02 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by q 3 View Post
A Place Further than the Universe continues to be really good and you all should go watch it instead of being such crybabies. It has good animation, a variety of female characters with multifaceted personalities and motives, and it manages to be very funny without sacrificing any of the gravitas of its premise.
The third episode dropped and it got even better.

I love how you’ve got these teenage girls being such teenagers in that they’re basically being transactional about their friendship... And at the same time, they all actually genuinely like and care about each other and are going along with this crazy scheme because it matters to these other girls, not just themselves alone .

Last edited by Egarwaen; Today at 09:27 PM.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road