The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 01-15-2018, 09:58 AM

Just finished They Can Live in the Desert, but Nowhere Else: a History of the Armenian Genocide. Currently reading Postwar.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:21 AM
We just don't know.

Finished up The Black Tides of Heaven and on to The Red Threads of Fortune. I would summarize them as "queer asian-flavored high fantasy," and each one is pretty short and breezy (they were released as twin novellas or short novels, though one does happen after the other).
Old 01-15-2018, 10:25 AM
Gesundheit!

Blasted through Annihilation as a break from A Suitable Boy (which, as shivam says, isn't just a doorstop, it's the whole damn door). I'm not surprised that the movie is going to go in a more action-oriented direction, but it's disappointing because there's already a great psychological thriller here.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:05 AM
Better be the real thing.

Read the first two volumes of Lemony Snicket's All the Wrong Questions. This time he himself is the protagonist, and while I find him kind of insufferable as a hero, I love the supporting characters and setting--a small town that's dying because its ink-based economy has collapsed to the point where the only cab driver is two kids stacked on top of each other who take "tips" in the form of book recommendations--so much.

But right now I'm taking a break from that for The Rithmatist, based on this thread's recommendation.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book