The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
is it worth upgrading from a 4* to a 5?
Only if you've already got a well rounded enough team, with a large stable of max level 4* and 5* characters giving you good flexibility to face all challenges, such that promoting one character from 4* to 5* will provide more benefit than promoting ten characters from 3* to 4*. Unless you're extremely lucky (or whaling), it'll probably take you several months to reach that point.

Also, due to the massive feather cost, it's extremely important to consider IVs when promoting from 4* to 5*; spending 20k feathers on a character with garbage IVs is usually a bad idea.

It's also important to look at what exactly unlocks at 5* for various characters; some 4* to 5* promotions give new skills which are an AMAZING upgrade, while many others are mostly unnecessary (characters, especially non-DPS characters, whose stats/skills at 4* are generally good enough).
Old 03-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

What does IV stand for? I know it's about stat growth but I don't really understand. Also what does whaling mean?
Old 03-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

IV -- Inherent Value or Individual Value. From Pokémon, a character's hidden, under-the-hood stats that determine their maximum potential. I believe that in FE Heroes every character gets a bonus to one stat and a penalty to one stat, rather like the boons and banes of the Avatars in Awakening and Fates.

A "whale" is a person who spends a lot of real-world money to get ahead in a supposedly free-to-play game. Supposedly, most F2P games see something ridiculous like 90% of their profits from whales. As a verb, to whale is to spend a lot of money on a F2P game, usually on impulse or to get a specific random element.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Objection!

"Whaling" also pretty much refers to how, while the majority of profits come from these big spenders, these big spenders are also a tiny minority of players. Like, that 90% might be coming from 1% of the playerbase. So, in a playerbase of millions, those few large spenders stand out like whales in a school of fish.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:12 PM
Mad Overlord

After a few more fruitless pulls, I finally got a couple more 5*s, Lachesis (my first 5* healer, though her skills seem mediocre) and Olwen (mounted blue mage that I was hoping for, though sadly with a -ATK IV that means her usage will be limited to my cavalry team).

Getting my first blue mage meant I didn't have any glaring holes in my lineup, so I decided to go ahead and do my first 5* upgrade on my +ATK -DEF Camilla. Still leveling her up to join the main team, but so far she's been great.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:25 PM
Objection!

Spur Res is kind of pointless on her, but both of her actives are solid, and Physic is a great heal.

-Atk on a Brave user hurts, but at least when it comes to casters, 32 Atk is less of a penalty then it is for physical Brave users (looking at it, the highest neutral Def is 42, but the highest Res is only 38). I'm pretty happy my Reinhardt is neutral, and he's been really solid so far. Just got to get him a few more levels and then he can properly hang with my main team members.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:54 PM

I looked at the final stats for my 5* Peri and Seliph.

Seliph is average, which is actually fine. Peri is +ATK -DEF which is like, also really fine since it's like dumping your worst stat to boost your best one (her SPD is nuts, she can double pretty much anyone that isn't Lyn I think).

But mostly I'm leveling up Lucina, because when you get a Falchion user, you might as well do it. Plus I actually like Awakening a lot and she was probably my favorite character (in the JP version, anyway).
Old 03-10-2017, 04:30 AM
Objection!

The new Grand Hero Battle is Ursula, who actually looks pretty good (Mounted Blue Caster, Blarwolf/Growing Thunder/Death Blow/Threaten Res). The twist this time is that there are only L30 Hard and L40 Lunatic versions of the map, with the rewards being 3* and 4* versions.

And, like they did last time, there's a new Battling Ursula banner, featuring Effie, Setsuna, Nino, and Felicia.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:51 AM

Oh god, I've been saving up all my orbs like mad ever since I lucked into Lyn/Camilla/Takumi within three pulls so I can dump them all into whatever happens when they introduce the new outfits, but a Banner that includes Nino is super tempting. She's one of the only two characters left I really want.

As it happens Florina is the other and as far as I understand she's kind of less than great in this game? That's a shame.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:53 AM

Florina's got a niche, but yeah, she is not close to the best lance in the game. Nino is amazing and I have her at 4*, and she's pretty much a death machine. She's my get shit done piece, because it's easy to buff her up to absurd one-shot power.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:26 AM

Went in to do a pull and only had one green rune to pick. Got SUPER excited when it was Nino's silhouette but alas, she is only 4 stars. -HP, +DEF though so I think that's pretty dang good. She'll probably be the first character I take to 5 stars.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:36 AM
Magical Love Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oathbreaker View Post
Went in to do a pull and only had one green rune to pick. Got SUPER excited when it was Nino's silhouette but alas, she is only 4 stars. -HP, +DEF though so I think that's pretty dang good. She'll probably be the first character I take to 5 stars.
Yeah I upgraded Nino to 5* and she is extremely good. She one-shots just about every non-red character, including Takumi, and her great speed means she can even take out most reds in one turn. Only thing that can reliably cause trouble for her is a 5* enemy Tharja.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:49 PM

So the Voting Gauntlet is your leader, a friend's leader, and a same-army leader against 3 opposing-army leaders, right?

When I started taking a level 20 healer to try to finish the "win with colorless" quest, I started seeing level distributions like 20-20-38 on my side vs. 20-20-20 enemies (approximately). It looks to me like level of the character you take determines the level of every character except your friend's leader. If you have strong friends it's ridiculously lopsided, and doesn't even have the effect from arena of stronger enemies being worth more.

The leader you take is also from the current party, you don't have to switch out the "main" party used for arena defense and other people's Voting Gauntlets.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Objection!

As I did more Voting Gauntlet fights, I did start to see that it seemed to TRY To do some kind of matchmaking, but I was still regularly getting pretty lopsided fights. Sometimes it'd be my L39 leader paired with some L20 guys against another group of L20 foes. Or maybe it was my L24 Setsuna with a L40 friend and a L20 rando against a line of 3 L20~L30s.

I don't know. Even when I was taking L30+ units as my main unit, I was still getting matchmade with generally L25+ foes? But I could see that it probably tries to generate teams based on that character's level.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:07 AM
Objection!

Starting tomorrow, the weekend login rewards are changing to a daily reward cycle instead. There's no mention of the current daily orb rewards, so that might still only last until it's extension. The new daily rewards are:

Monday: 100 Feathers
Tuesday: Stamina Potion
Wednesday: Dueling Crest
Thursday: 100 Feathers
Friday: Stamina Potion
Saturday: Dueling Crest
Sunday: Orb

It also looks like starting tomorrow there's a "Play Everyday" event lasting until 11 April with daily arena quests for feathers and orbs. They're also either increasing the Feather rewards from arena, or are adding additional tiers, starting with tomorrow's season.

Edit: The new banner starting tomorrow is Blazing Sword.

Last edited by Umbaglo; 03-13-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:10 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

I wonder what Ninian's weapon will be -- she predates the idea of Dancers as combatants. The only one I can think of that makes sense is Dragonstone -- probably green, so all three colors will have a Dancer.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:14 PM
Objection!

We'll find out colours tomorrow I guess, but she is holding a dragonstone in that key art at least.

My guesses based on the art is a red swords, a blue caster, a green dragon, a colourless archer, a colourless knife, and a colourless healer.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
I wonder what Ninian's weapon will be -- she predates the idea of Dancers as combatants. The only one I can think of that makes sense is Dragonstone -- probably green, so all three colors will have a Dancer.
Only in English - FE4/FE5 dancers used swords (badly).

I wondered about healer/dancer for a bit, but the game is just not built to support that. Green dragon seems like a reasonable guess.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:05 AM
Objection!

So! Banner update time again!

Ninian: Blue Dragon
- Light Breath
- Dance
- Escape Route
- Fortify Dragons

Karel: Red Infantry
- Wo Dao (+10 damage when special triggers)
- Reprisal
- Defiant Atk
- Desperation

Priscilla: Staff Cavalry
- Panic
- Rehabilitate
- Still-Water Balm
- Spur Def

Jaffar: Ninja Infantry
- Deathly Dagger (Inflict Def/Res -7 after battle; if initiate, deal 7 damage to foe after battle)
- Glimmer
- Life and Death
- Threaten Spd

Rebecca: Archer Infantry
- Silver Bow
- Ardent Sacrifice
- Darting Blow
- Seal Attack

Lucius: Staff Infantry
- Pain
- Martyr
- Miracle
- HP +5

The arena scoring modification also added more brackets for feathers, but didn't change how much you got at similar brackets. You now get feathers starting at 1 point, in brackets of 200 (1~200, 201~400, 401~600, etc) all the way up to 4001+, with feather rewards starting at 500 and going up by 100 per bracket.

The new banner of course also comes with a paralogue as well as a new set of quests. This time, though, the quests are only for beating the paralogues with specific allies, and there are NOT a batch for getting kills with banner units. One of the quests is to clear a stage with an Armoured ally, but another quest gives you a free 2* Draug.

And lastly, this Play Everyday arena quest set awards 1 dueling crest, 100 feathers x2, and 1 orb for basically playing arena up to 5 times (or more, if you need it to get 20 L10+ kills).
Old 03-14-2017, 06:17 AM

I hadn't even checked the quests until I did a training tower battle and saw the 3 guys I killed counted for that Arena quest. So either it's bugged or it works on anything.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:54 AM
Objection!

Double-checking, the quest, while it's under the header of "Arena", does simply say "Defeat enemies that are level 10 or higher." It doesn't specify in the arena.

Also, my saved up orbs sure did want to give me some 5*s. Just not banner ones. I've picked up MCorrin, Peri, Sakura, and Priscilla. I'm probably going ot do a few more pulls since I'd like a few of the attackers on here (notably Ninian), but I think I'm in a good place. At this point, I think that once I hit 40k feathers, I'm going to promote my Nowi and Setsuna up to 5*.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:34 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Oh my goodness I got a 5* Ninian! I'm loving all these rewards and orbs raining from the sky.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:48 AM
oh my car

I pulled a bunch of three-star duplicates.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:59 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

I opened five star Rebecca, which, you know, fine (we'll see how she stacks up against Jeorge, my other five-star Archer), but Jesus, what is with her eyes.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:16 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
I opened five star Rebecca, which, you know, fine (we'll see how she stacks up against Jeorge, my other five-star Archer), but Jesus, what is with her eyes.
Her eyes are actual stars.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:50 PM
Objection!

Another pull gets me 5* Lilina, because sure. It's not like I don't already have enough red units, let alone red casters.

I mean, she's still good. I just also have 2 Sanakis, too. I guess that Lilina is more of a blaster cannon, while Sanaki provides some buffs, at least.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:55 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
I just also have 2 Sanakis, too.
i mean

if you don't want one of those

i will accept a donation
Old 03-14-2017, 05:58 PM
Objection!

I would love to trade if I could! Sorry :((((((((((
Old 03-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Objection!

Huh, this update roadmap that IS put out this morning has some neat stuff in it.

In the April update:
- The Inherit Skill feature will be expanded such that if a character that has inherited a skill is then merged, the inherited skill is also transferred over.
- Characters will have basically a "mastery" bar that will give feathers when you max them out. It'll be per character instead of per copy, though. So even if you have 5 Marths, it's only one bar that's shared across them all.
- Defense and Reinforcement map rules will be added.
- Arena scoring and matchmaking will change from only looking at total stat values to being weighted based on 1) Character level and * rating, 2) Number of Merge Ally bonuses, 3) Total base stats after removing the effect of all skills (including weapon), and 4) Equipped skills.
- You will be able to get details on arena Bonus Heroes by tapping on them.
- Equippable items that grant skills will be added.

They also put out the order of the next 5 Grand Hero Battles, with Michalis being the next one. Apparently this one will also have a community challenge, with rewards being given out based on how many players clear the fight.

Lastly, they gave a hint about an upcoming event that they're working on. It's light on details, but the way it's presented sounds to me like it'll be a multi-stage fight, and characters that are KOed along the way will not be revived between stages.

Sounds like some interesting stuff coming down the pipeline!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:50 AM

Nino really is a beast, holy hell. And with Lyn I can just have her sit right next to where I want Nino to attack from and Nino gets an extra +4 speed to double on even more units.

I'm tempted to train up Ursula to 5 stars next both because she has a giant wolf head for an attack and because she looks like she might be the blue equivalent of Nino. She'd make my life a lot easier against all these sword users in the arena too. Robin would be better if I were worried about Takumi or a dagger user but those aren't usually what get me in arena.

I wonder if Lyn/Nino/Ursula/Ninian would do well. I know Ninian buffs other dragons but still, having a dragon that can dance to make Nino or Ursula even more dangerous would be great. Or I could luck into child Tiki at some point and then my entire team would hit RES which is risky but Ursula's passive would mitigate that a little.

Tags
actually terrible? , dena , devil's own luck , fire emblem , gacha , gotcha! , i like ike , intelligent systems , lamb meets slaughter , mobile , nintendo , pick a banner and pray , pick a god and pray , random number god , waifu wars