The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-13-2017, 12:26 AM
Good Bee

I'm not too concerned about the double stamina costs, really. I got Lucina from lv1 to lv37 with less than a day's stamina, thanks to leveling her almost exclusively against enemies ~4 levels higher than her (and having her kill almost every unit on every map), which is possible thanks to Olivia+Azura+Sakura providing double dancer+healer support (but any high leveled characters providing good support skills should make this easy, especially now that everyone has Olivia). Double that and it's less than 2 days to max out a character, which is fine by me.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:57 AM
Princess of the Moon

I only get 5 star characters I don't like. ;_; Ogma, and now Fa + Camilla.

at least Camilla will make a fine replacement for "39 defense but 27 attack" beruka. And now people will have an easier time suiciding into my arena team. "Oh, Fir as leader? PSHHHHHHH-ohgod"

Last edited by Satonakaja; 02-13-2017 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:52 AM
Good Bee

One of the challenges in the Narcian map is that the AI will happily camp out forever in a position where the only cell you can enter to lure them out is covered by two enemies with two different damage types, and it can be difficult to find one character that can enter that cell, tank two hits, and live through it.

Now that everyone has Olivia, I've seen several people mention a particularly handy (and clever) combo for this common situation: Nino + Dancer. Here's how it goes:

N: Nino
D: Dancer
O: Open ground
X: Enemy (2 movement, melee)

DNOOOX

Nino moves forward 2, attacks to trigger AI:

DOONOX

Dancer moves forward 2, dances Nino:

OODNOX

Nino moves back 2:

ONDOOX

Nino uses Pull Back on Dancer:

NDOOOX

And voila, the pair has hit an enemy (triggering the AI to begin pursuit) and completely evaded retaliation on the next turn. Unfortunately (as far as I know) this is only possible with Nino; only two other characters get Pull Back (Fae, Sully) and neither has a ranged attack. I like the sound of this a lot, but haven't drawn Nino, so I haven't been able to give it a try yet.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:11 AM

Yeah, the solution to Hard Garcian is... win gatcha.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:01 AM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraeg View Post
Has there been any leak about what new banners might be coming when these expire? I just got to 20 orbs and am trying to decide whether to do one more on this one or not.
There's no leak, but based on comments from the dev team, people are assuming that the next banners are likely to be the poll winners (Ike/Roy/Lyn/Lucina) and Seliph/Julia/Ephraim/Eirika. Of course, there's no guarantee, and the next banner might just be a reshuffling of the currently available 5*s. I guess we'll find out either tomorrow or Wednesday.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:24 AM

I kinda wish it would retroactively award me completion for these Hard story battle quests, considering I completed like up through chapter 5 on hard already. Oh well, guess I can just do it all over again.

I've got Nowi (4*) at a higher level than Catria (4*) but it's only maybe 2 levels difference. Not quite sure which one I should use, but I guess Nowi is more useful tactically. The rest of my team is Roy, Camilla, and Takumi.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:42 AM
Programmed to Jingle

I got Henry!
And Nowi.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:59 AM
Mueller-mas

Well I beat the main story on normal last night only needing to use one Light's blessing. I guess eventually new chapters will be released once they start adding characters from other games they haven't covered yet? In the meantime I'm trying to level up some of my four stars. My 4 star Bartre just destroys all the things, even characters 5 - 10 levels above him in the Arena.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:59 PM

Well spent my last 20 orbs from the game pulling single pulls specifically for bowman on second banner. Got a 5 star Takumi so it was worth it. Team is now Takumi, Hector, Azura, and Lucina
Old 02-13-2017, 01:26 PM
Wimpy Gamer

damn, son. that's a rock solid team.

me?

i decided to stop playing this in favor of "real fire emblem".

it's still installed. i just don't feel like playing it.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

I've kind of lost my momentum on it. I'm almost through Hard Mode, but my characters are too low-level to finish and I don't really feel like grinding.

I'll keep it installed just in case they put out some event that I want to check out, but I'm probably done playing it daily. The drip of resources is just too slow, and that's with the launch bonuses.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:53 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Still don't have a 5*, positively drowning in 4* guys (no repeats) so I guess I'm lucky at something. Not even really playing any more, just hopping on for my free orbs and waiting until I have 20 to do another pull.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:14 PM
gatchapon 3*

this game is weird. it's hella easy through normal, and then soul crushingly hard after that, and the levels are never more than two turns or so meaning there's not a lot of room for strategy beyond hit before you get hit. After so much promise, the game's actually kinda boring? I hope the new banner has interesting units on it.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:40 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
One of the challenges in the Narcian map is that the AI will happily camp out forever in a position where the only cell you can enter to lure them out is covered by two enemies with two different damage types, and it can be difficult to find one character that can enter that cell, tank two hits, and live through it.

Now that everyone has Olivia, I've seen several people mention a particularly handy (and clever) combo for this common situation: Nino + Dancer. Here's how it goes:

N: Nino
D: Dancer
O: Open ground
X: Enemy (2 movement, melee)

DNOOOX

Nino moves forward 2, attacks to trigger AI:

DOONOX

Dancer moves forward 2, dances Nino:

OODNOX

Nino moves back 2:

ONDOOX

Nino uses Pull Back on Dancer:

NDOOOX

And voila, the pair has hit an enemy (triggering the AI to begin pursuit) and completely evaded retaliation on the next turn. Unfortunately (as far as I know) this is only possible with Nino; only two other characters get Pull Back (Fae, Sully) and neither has a ranged attack. I like the sound of this a lot, but haven't drawn Nino, so I haven't been able to give it a try yet.
Along those same lines, here's an awesome video of high level Arena (on the most terrifying Arena map) showing the strategic depth you get from a Nino+Dancer combo. The first two turns are the real highlight, showing Nino dragging Olivia halfway across the map in a single turn; the pair of them move five cells in a single turn, which is insane. Then they pull a second Dance+Draw Back trick to get Nino buffed and in prime position to nuke Takumi. I love seeing this kind of party synergy and high level strategy in this game. The same user uploaded another video of Nino doing her best, this time against two Takumis, which is also delightful.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:48 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Fuck anyone who runs double Takumi in the arena, by the way
Old 02-13-2017, 04:32 PM

So what I'm hearing is Takumi, Takumi, Hector, Tiki heals for arena?
Old 02-13-2017, 05:09 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Man, I really wanted to make Fae my first upgrade, but maybe I should invest in Nino instead? Ugggh why can't there be a version of this game that's just a normal game?
Old 02-13-2017, 05:15 PM
Sega CD version is better

How do you get your arena awards? I was supposed to be getting around 1500 feathers I thought, but it doesn't look like it has added that yet.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksworth View Post
How do you get your arena awards? I was supposed to be getting around 1500 feathers I thought, but it doesn't look like it has added that yet.
I forget exactly how it works, but I believe at the end of each week (season) the arena closes for a few hours(?) (it's currently closed) and then rewards are distributed when it reopens (this evening?)
Old 02-13-2017, 05:31 PM
Mueller-mas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksworth View Post
I just popped onto the app to take a peak and it says the arena is still closed. Last season my feathers didn't show up in my inventory until after the arena was reopened. Guess they're working out something at the moment?
Old 02-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Man, I really wanted to make Fae my first upgrade, but maybe I should invest in Nino instead? Ugggh why can't there be a version of this game that's just a normal game?
Depends heavily on the rest of your team. Nino's ranged DPS who benefits greatly from units with buffs, Fae's frontline DPS and a lot slower and tankier. Nino synergizes better with Olivia thanks to her 2-range attack letting you poke+dance+Draw Back, plus Olivia's ATK buff synergizing well with Nino's weapon. Fae won't get as many chances to take advantage of Draw Back, because she's a frontline close range DPS.

If you use Fae, you need a good way to deal with Falchion users, because they're very popular in the arena (since they're common due to being focus units) and will easily one-shot her.

FWIW, the wiki's tier list has them both at the same tier (A), and that sounds about right to me. Also, I think Nino's a lot harder (more fun) to use effectively, since (as you can see from the above videos) a party that uses her well is extremely squishy and uses some really advanced movement tactics to nuke without getting one-shot, while Fae's probably going to be less effective in expert hands but will fit more easily in most parties and be a more blunt instrument in general.

Also, since they're both DPS, you absolutely want to check their IVs in a calculator before dumping 20k feathers into either of them, because a DPS with -ATK is garbage (a -ATK 5* DPS is barely better than a +ATK 4* DPS, and sometimes worse; you don't want to waste 3 months worth of feathers to learn that lesson).

Since feathers are so scarce, I'd personally only upgrade a 4* DPS with +ATK in general; non-DPS (dancers, more support-oriented DPS, tanks) don't benefit as much from the 5* upgrade in general, and you'll probably get a dozen good 4* DPS for every 20k feathers you get, so you might as well choose the one with the best IVs among them (or save them if, like me, all of your DPS have shit IVs); the extra ATK really makes a huge difference.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Crazy Old Bird

My Fae has a regular ATK IV, which is fine. I'm not too worried about making optimal choices, because the moment I do that in a gacha I burn out within a couple days. I mainly want to upgrade Fae because she's cute and has Etrian Odyssey art and I like how she goes "RAWR" at the start of a match. I wouldn't do it if she were completely useless, but she's usable, so. Since this stupid game only lets you make a choice once in a blue moon I may as well use it on something fun.
Quote:
If you use Fae, you need a good way to deal with Falchion users, because they're very popular in the arena (since they're common due to being focus units) and will easily one-shot her.
My 5* Cordelia has been making short work of those folks, as well as Takumi. Unless there are two Takumi. It's so annoying that this game lets you field clones.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:40 PM
King Of Space-Time

Yay another 5 star... oh. Male Robin... Again...

woo?
Old 02-14-2017, 01:15 AM
Mad Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Yay another 5 star... oh. Male Robin... Again...
Meanwhile, I have zero 5* blues, and only one mage 4* and above, so I'd be thrilled with one of those.

Wrapped up the last of the story missions on lunatic today, and got my 5* team up to all level 40. All I have left now is killing 35+ enemies with cavalry (No cavalry above the low 20s 4*, so that will take some leveling up or extreme babysitting) and 45-ish arena wins, which will put me over 20,000 feathers for the first time.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:46 PM
Good Bee

Let's play Who Rolled The Worst IVs!

I went through and checked mine yesterday, and things look pretty dismal:

5*:
Lucina +HP -SPD (HP is the worst stat, SPD is the best stat. Womp womp.)
Lyn +ATK -SPD (+ATK on a DPS is nice, but -SPD means she can only double half the units she would have been able to with neutral or +SPD, making the extra attack. Oh well.)
Azura +ATK -HP (Finally good IVs... on a support character who almost never sees combat. Oops.)

4*: (the numbers for 4* are still pretty unreliable)
Gunter -ATK +SPD (Meh)
Lilina --ATK +SPD -RES (What? These numbers look awful, but considering this is impossible, this might just be unreliable numbers.)
Camilla -ATK +DEF (Total garbage)
Florina +HP -DEF (Decent, since even with +DEF her DEF is low enough that anything one-shots her, but this is still pretty mediocre)

Camilla's obviously the worst out of these, but all of them are pretty underwhelming. This double-gatcha system where you have a random chance of pulling a good unit, then a random chance on top of that of pulling a good unit with good stats, REALLY sucks for a game like this; it's probably the worst thing I've seen in any gatcha I've ever played. The fact that it severely impacts arena performance, which severely impacts your feather income, which severely cuts back on the rate at which you can upgrade units to 5*, is salt in the wound.

Fortunately, aside from that, most good units are still okay in most situations even with bad IVs; the only exception above is Camilla, whose -ATK on top of her naturally low ATK and reliance on high ATK from brave axe completely invalidates her, even at 5*; more often than not, she's doing 0x4 damage even with weapon advantage, and that simply does not work.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:55 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satonakaja View Post
I only get 5 star characters I don't like. ;_; Ogma, and now Fa + Camilla.

at least Camilla will make a fine replacement for "39 defense but 27 attack" beruka. And now people will have an easier time suiciding into my arena team. "Oh, Fir as leader? PSHHHHHHH-ohgod"
Camilla is, like, Super God Tier in this game. You're doing fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfut View Post
Fuck anyone who runs double Takumi in the arena, by the way
I came up against it, two 5 star Takumi at once. I...didn't make it very far. I didn't get Takumi but I did get 4 star Jeorge, who seems like he could be a less-good-but-still-good Takumi if I got him to 5 stars.

My biggest problem with the game is that feathers take a long time to get. I can't upgrade any of my 4 stars yet, and unless if they do another massive giveaway, that won't happen anytime soon. Even if you do well in the arena, that's like...2k a week? So in TEN WEEKS you can upgrade a unit? I have an arena quest I'm working on that will give me 1k more...so that's 15k I'll have total.

15000, 10000 of which were part of a giveaway. I mean, come on...I don't mind a slow drip but this is kinda insane. If I felt like I could make progress towards the goal, it would be more manageable, but you're kinda at the mercy of giveaways and once-a-week arena rewards. You can't even buy feathers, which strikes me as super odd. I guess the idea is that they want you to buy orbs for heroes, but given how random it is and that it's 13 dollars to do that, that seems kinda crazy. Like my first two sets of five had a 5 star in it, and since then I've gotten some good heroes but who were only 4 stars, and a ton of trash 3 and 4 stars. It's a weird system.

I'm running out of stuff to do, also. I'm at the end of Lunatic and after that there's...nothing? Just leveling up guys some more, and arena battles. Which is fine, but not exactly worth it if you don't have any good units.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Camilla is, like, Super God Tier in this game. You're doing fine.

I came up against it, two 5 star Takumi at once. I...didn't make it very far. I didn't get Takumi but I did get 4 star Jeorge, who seems like he could be a less-good-but-still-good Takumi if I got him to 5 stars.

My biggest problem with the game is that feathers take a long time to get. I can't upgrade any of my 4 stars yet, and unless if they do another massive giveaway, that won't happen anytime soon. Even if you do well in the arena, that's like...2k a week? So in TEN WEEKS you can upgrade a unit? I have an arena quest I'm working on that will give me 1k more...so that's 15k I'll have total.

15000, 10000 of which were part of a giveaway. I mean, come on...I don't mind a slow drip but this is kinda insane. If I felt like I could make progress towards the goal, it would be more manageable, but you're kinda at the mercy of giveaways and once-a-week arena rewards. You can't even buy feathers, which strikes me as super odd. I guess the idea is that they want you to buy orbs for heroes, but given how random it is and that it's 13 dollars to do that, that seems kinda crazy. Like my first two sets of five had a 5 star in it, and since then I've gotten some good heroes but who were only 4 stars, and a ton of trash 3 and 4 stars. It's a weird system.

I'm running out of stuff to do, also. I'm at the end of Lunatic and after that there's...nothing? Just leveling up guys some more, and arena battles. Which is fine, but not exactly worth it if you don't have any good units.
Yeah, I think they need to do a lot more to "broaden the base", so to speak. The solution to too many of this game's struggles is "just buy orbs".

Want to play more than 15 minutes every 4 hours? In most games, you're rewarded for your efforts with a higher stamina bar. In this game, just buy orbs.

Congrats! You drew Camilla! Oh wait, she's got a -ATK IV making her totally worthless? In most games, when you luck into your rare pull, that's it congrats end of story. In this game, just buy orbs.

Want a 5* version of your favorite character? Sure there's an upgrade system, but feathers are scarce. That's okay, just pull until you get a 5* version of them naturally (for ones that can be drawn at 5*) or pull until you can Send Home hundreds of units to get the feathers that way. Just buy orbs.

Want to compete at all in high level arena? Most games exert some minimal amount of effort to convince F2P players that, with some luck and skill, they can at least scratch the surface of the big leagues. But in this game, the biggest factor in arena rank is just the sum of all the stats of all the members of your team, and whales have already merged 11 copies of their characters to get lv40 +10 stats. And since their stats are higher, due to the matchmaking system pairing people with equivalent stat totals, they'll always get more points per kill than you, and there's nothing you can do about that. Just buy orbs.

My suggestions for the game, which I know will never be followed because lol gatcha:

- Either eliminate IVs, narrow the gap between a +IV and -IV value (currently it's 6-7, it should be 3 at most), or allow players to work towards the ability to reroll IVs (without needing to pull gatcha until they draw a copy). Too many characters are screwed way too hard by bad IVs, and double gatcha blows.

- Give F2P players at least the illusion of a chance of being able to rank in the arena by broadening matchmaking. Currently it doesn't matter how clever you are, or how many buffs you've stacked; you're never even given the opportunity to hit high ranks because your stat totals won't be high enough to be given the chance to fight high stat total opponents, even if those high stat total opponents have dumb team comps you would have been easily able to beat. A high stat total player will ALWAYS get more points per match simply due to being matched against higher value (high stat total) targets than a lower stat total player would, and that's stupid.

- Rolling gatcha is nice, but one in fifteen players can (with great difficulty) complete the entire story all the way through Lunatic, spend every free orb they can possibly get, and never draw a single 5*. Combined with the fact that every non-gatcha character blows, this is a bad situation. Every FFRK player gets Cloud, every Fantasy War Tactics player gets Jack, and this game has no Cloud or Jack. Good F2P anchor characters makes it much less likely people will get discouraged by bad gatcha luck and quit, which broadens the community and makes everyone more likely to spend money.

- This game has no "starter pack" or promotions, which just seems like bad business. You've set a price for your currency, so give people a one-time (or monthly, or whatever) chance to spend $5 to get $50 worth of goodies. FFRK has this with 100-gem pulls, Mobius FF has this with the Mobius box, basically every gatcha does it because it's the only way to get money from non-whales. That gets otherwise F2P players to open their wallet once, which makes them a thousand times more likely to do so in the future.

I've been one of this game's biggest advocates on this forum, but I'm nearing the end of the currently available content, and given the issues above, I doubt I'll still be playing this two weeks from now. It would take too many fundamental changes which I highly doubt they'll do.

If anyone likes this game, isn't attached to the Fire Emblem branding, and is interested in another mobile gatcha SRPG without the issues above, I'd highly recommend checking out Fantasy War Tactics. I played it for a few months last year, and found it similar to this game while being superior in almost every way; there's no IV double-gatcha horseshit, larger maps lead to more interesting tactical situations, the PVP is much more accessible to F2P players, every F2P player gets access to multiple excellent non-gatcha units, there's no death penalty so autobattle is actually useful, and there are good promotions (I never spent more than $10, but that's infinity times more than the $0 I'll ever spend on this game).

EDIT: Warning: It's very Anime
Old 02-14-2017, 01:57 PM
Mad Overlord

Quote:
Let's play Who Rolled The Worst IVs!
Here's mine:

5*
Roy (+SPD -ATK)
Sheena (+HP +SPD -ATK -DEF)
Jakob (+RES -SPD)
Tiki (+HP -DEF)

That's a lot of penalties to ATK and SPD there. I'd say all four are below average (the penalty stats hurt more than the bonus stats help), though Tiki is easily the best of them.

4*
Raven (+DEF -HP)
Camilla (+ATK - DEF)
Hana (+SPD -HP)
Effie (+RES -ATK)
Marth (+HP -SPD)
Olivia (+RES -SPD)
Cain (+HP -SPD)
Peri (+DEF -SPD)

Again a disproportionate amount of -SPD, but not quite as negatively weighted as the 5*s.

Calculator looks wrong:
Gordin (+RES -HP -ATK?)
Cecilia (-HP ?)

Not in calculator:
Fir (?)
Arthur (?)
Draug (?)
Serra (?)
Rhys (?)
Old 02-14-2017, 02:10 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraeg View Post
Here's mine:

5*
Roy (+SPD -ATK) red lord
Sheena (+HP +SPD -ATK -DEF) green armor
Jakob (+RES -SPD)
Tiki (+HP -DEF)

That's a lot of penalties to ATK and SPD there. I'd say all four are below average (the penalty stats hurt more than the bonus stats help), though Tiki is easily the best of them.

4*
Raven (+DEF -HP)
Camilla (+ATK - DEF)
Hana (+SPD -HP)
Effie (+RES -ATK)
Marth (+HP -SPD)
Olivia (+RES -SPD)
Cain (+HP -SPD)
Peri (+DEF -SPD)

Again a disproportionate amount of -SPD, but not quite as negatively weighted as the 5*s.

Calculator looks wrong:
Gordin (+RES -HP -ATK?)
Cecilia (-HP ?)

Not in calculator:
Fir (?)
Arthur (?)
Draug (?)
Serra (?)
Rhys (?)
That's a whole lot of yuck, but +ATK -DEF Camilla's the diamond in the rough there for sure. That'll wreck everything at 5*. I'll bet a YoungTiki/Camilla/Effie/Olivia party would be pretty good, and you'd only need to promote Camilla. That covers all three elements, high def/high res opponents, plus a top tier dancer/support. I like the sound of that a lot.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:38 PM

I seem to have

+Res, -Def Lyn
+HP, -Spd Camilla
+HP, +Spd, -Def, -Res Takumi

and if I pushed my girl Corrin to 5* she comes out with -HP, -ATK (adjusting for the 5* weapon), and +Def which isn't possible so something is wrong there.

So my Takumi is definitely on the low end of middling, Lyn is sitting well enough off that only a Brave user or type disadvantage can one-shot her, and she can survive Robin so long as his skill isn't charged. And Camilla is thoroughly average. The low speed doesn't really mean much because anything that gets a second attack for the difference is something she shouldn't be anywhere near anyway.

I got lucky enough with my draws after settling for just Lyn at the start (I might've reset for longer if I knew about the pokemon natures to get a +atk Lyn but oh well) by getting Camilla and Takumi together in my second real pull that I've just been saving orbs since. Here's hoping for a good alt-costume Lyn when those get rolled out.

Tags
actually terrible? , dena , devil's own luck , fire emblem , gacha , gotcha! , i like ike , intelligent systems , lamb meets slaughter , mobile , nintendo , pick a banner and pray , pick a god and pray , random number god , waifu wars