The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-29-2009, 02:15 AM
i musnt run away

Default Nobody told me Netflix was so great.

Holy crap guys, I can watch dozens of TV shows and movies for 10 bucks a month? That's what it freaking costs to see a movie in a theater once. It's like Hulu on steroids and I can watch it on any big-ass TV in my house.

I'm totally going to be watching the first two seasons of 30 Rock and Star Trek this month.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:22 AM
Venturing into ads!

Yes and while the Instant could use some more expanding on, what's there is usually a good mix between tv shows and classic movies.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:24 AM
i musnt run away

Yeah, I couldn't Instant Queue the movie I wanted to watch in the first place, but the plethora of options beyond that are more than satisfactory. Working in tandem with the whole "sending you discs" system should keep me well-stocked in entertainment.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:57 AM

I've been working my way through The Office streaming on the XBox 360 the past few days and I've got a dvd each of Kanon and Lucky Star for my anime fix. Netflix is a beautiful, beautiful thing.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:02 AM
Venturing into ads!

If you see something on Instant, keep in mind that the catalog is always rotating. TV shows seem to stay on longer, but movies get cycled about every month or two. But, it does work great with the regular dvd in the mail service. I had to opt out of Blu Ray though, I think they're charging $2 extra per month for it now.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Space dad

We just figured this out, too. Just finished watching Season 3 of Heroes and have seen quite a few movies, and we don't even start getting charged until this weekend!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

You might find this thread of use.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacketh View Post
If you see something on Instant, keep in mind that the catalog is always rotating. TV shows seem to stay on longer, but movies get cycled about every month or two.
Aw, I was under the impression that the Instant catalog was always expanding, not just rotating. But it's not something that I take great advantage of anyway, as if I'm going to sit down and watch something lengthy I usually prefer to do that on screen larger than my monitor and from a position more comfortable than my computer chair.

But yeah, Netflix is awesome.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Semi-Lurker

My brother gave me for a free month, and now thanks to Netflix, Hulu, and the DVI->HDMI cable I got a week ago I'm probably just going to ditch my cable TV service altogether.

Although I wish there was an option to turn on subtitles since I often watch stuff late at night and don't want to have the volume up too loud. I also added the Star Trek BDs to my regular queue since I want to watch it with the original effects, but I've been enjoying the old school Doctor Who and Red Dwarf episodes they have available instantly.

In short, Netflix most definitely rocks.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Ho Ho Hoooooo

Ever since I realized I have unlimited access to my family's Netflix live streaming I haven't left my room very much.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacketh View Post
I had to opt out of Blu Ray though, I think they're charging $2 extra per month for it now.
The surcharge is $1 per disc you have in your plan.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Venturing into ads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
The surcharge is $1 per disc you have in your plan.
I'm not too sure about that, I have one-disc at a time and I was close to re-enabling it about three weeks ago... until I saw they wanted an additional $2/month.

Maybe I read it wrong though.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:30 PM
i musnt run away

Ok, Netflix is also DANGEROUS. I spent my entire afternoon adding things to the queue, rating things I have seen, and re-ordering the queue obsessively.

I've got, like, over 50 things lined up already, though one of them is an anime series that has the potential to be bumped off the list if the first disc sucks.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Venturing into ads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyinkpen View Post
Ok, Netflix is also DANGEROUS. I spent my entire afternoon adding things to the queue, rating things I have seen, and re-ordering the queue obsessively.

I've got, like, over 50 things lined up already, though one of them is an anime series that has the potential to be bumped off the list if the first disc sucks.

Yeah, it can be a timesink if it hooks you. My worst is when they keep recommending me things after I add something to my Queue, and it just keeps progressing from one interesting thing to another.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:55 PM

I reorder my queue every time I finish a dvd and sometimes I reorder it again before the next dvd gets spit back out.

Finished season 3 of The Office earlier today. I started it, like... less than a week ago? Once I burn through season 4 I'll have to get my fix from the UK versions until the current stuff comes out I guess.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:25 PM
www.RetrowareTV.com

I'm pretty sure I did tell you. lol

http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime...hlight=Netflix
Old 05-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Rawrther.

Quote:

I have spent hours just going through and ranking things, then searching the suggestions for things I've seen and ranking those, repeat ad infinitum.

I have as of just now 2577 suggestions based on 628 ratings.

And I've had an active Netflix account (had to suspend it for a bit bc I didn't have XBL Gold and don't use the dvds) for like, a net three weeks.

edit: and my instant queue is 391.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:36 PM
A No.1

A good friend of mine absolutely refuses to rate anything - even somethign he's seen - unless he's specifically ordered it through Netflix. I've tried to explain to him that the purpose of rating something is so it can better recommend titles to him, but he won't listen.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

Netflix was the last nail in the coffin of network TV, and it drove right through and stuck in the coffin of Blockbuster video, too. Or something like that.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Banned

Netflix is a great way for the non-rich to access the Criterion Collection.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:26 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Quote:
Nobody told me Netflix was so great.
Hey bud, did you hear? Netflix is fucking great. I love that shit. Try it out.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:59 AM

I wanted to queue up a movie by Dennis Hopper since its tradition to view people's work after they die and Netflix does not have The Last Movie. The fucking pricks.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Pokétard

I've been comparing streaming Netflix on all the systems I have or am interested in. Here is a ranking of quality that I've found.

1. any modern computer
1. (tied) Roku
3. Wii
3. (tied) iPad
5. PS3

Computers and Roku can do it at near DVD quality. I can't understand why the PS3 is the worst. It's got jagged pixels. It's disturbing to the point where I don't think I'm watching a movie. I think I'm watching YouTube. Technically, the Wii Netflix isn't "better" than the PS3, but they have sufficient anti-aliasing to smooth things out. The consequence is blurriness, which is an acceptable level for most movies. But anything with high resolution, like the blue furry guy in Monsters, looks bad on the Wii. This also seems true of the iPad.

I'm looking forward to the iPhone version. The small screen should eliminate the quality issues, unless AT&T requires it be gimped to protect their 3G network.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maigo View Post
Computers and Roku can do it at near DVD quality. I can't understand why the PS3 is the worst. It's got jagged pixels. It's disturbing to the point where I don't think I'm watching a movie. I think I'm watching YouTube.
There's something wrong. I haven't seen anything approaching this poor a quality when I've used my PS3 for Netflix. I do prefer the interface of the 360 app vs. the PS3, though.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:23 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I love Netflix on the 360. It is awesome. I should watch some tonight just to appreciate how awesome it is.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:10 PM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I wanted to queue up a movie by Dennis Hopper since its tradition to view people's work after they die and Netflix does not have The Last Movie. The fucking pricks.
Then you know what you must do.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:05 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

it occurred to me that what Netflix really needs for its streaming service is a way to organize stuff into folders rather than one big que. I'd love to be able to sort stuff by movies, classic TV, Dr. Who, etc...
Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 AM
i musnt run away

What do you use to view Netflix? Because on my Xbox it does exactly that. Ok, technically I only have control over the Instant Queue but it does otherwise list a lot of categories for me to sort through along those exact lines, usually based on my common preferences and ratings.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Ho Ho Hoooooo

I think he wants to organize his actual queue. Which yeah, would be nice.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Yeah, I want to control it, because I have a queue of over 100 titles I like to flip through, but it would be awesome if I could group them. For example, I have a chunk of things in my queue that I'm caught up on watching but know that new episodes will come out eventually, so I just move them to the back of my queue for now. And I went and added all the Classic Dr. Who arches but I would like to be able to separate those for later. Stuff like that.

Tags
and chill , best anti-piracy solution , binge , movies , netflix