The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-21-2018, 07:17 PM
i musnt run away

Ugh. Laurence is just. Ugh. I'm just burned out on this now. Most Souls games have like, one of these kinds of bosses per base game or expansion and this fucking DLC has basically 3 in a row. I'm so sick of throwing myself at these super hard unforgiving pieces of shit over and over again hoping a summon will show up to help (and there don't seem to be any in Laurence's territory).

As much as I'd love to clear the list of trophies for the DLC I'm starting to feel like it'd be better just to get through the end of the game and at least feel like I'm done for now. It's too stressful and wearying, and just not fun anymore.

I made an ailing loran chalice dungeon and it's super difficult (though you get a shitload of souls in there), so I don't feel like progressing further in those either.

I think next time I play is time to go after the wet nurse.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:13 PM
hang high, soft star

I find it incredibly amusing that you're slowly working your way towards the actual factual worst boss fights in the entire game.

I beat Orphan in like 3 tries, and it took me a couple DAYS to get past the Defiled bosses.

Please look forward to it!
Old 09-21-2018, 11:28 PM

I feel somewhat proud to say I beat all the bosses + DLC bosses without assistance. But those chalice bosses... fuck no. I summoned the shit out of help for those fights. And I don't regret it even one second. Defiled Amygdala can F OFF
Old 09-23-2018, 02:36 PM
i musnt run away

I beat Laurence today. As usual coming at the game fresh and rested gives me a clearer head and I opted to just sit my ass down after ringing the beckoning bell and wait patiently for a player to show up. Went in there with another player and the NPC and managed to whittle him down, even after the player got killed in the third phase.

Then I died twice to Mergo's Wet Nurse twice just because I didn't know what to expect yet, but on the third try I did indeed find it to be one of the most embarrassingly easy bosses in the game.

Did the other two final bosses as well, once again with the help of a player who absolutely trounced them. That's one ending down. I decided I should knock out the hardest one first if I'm planning to get them all. I do have most of the achievements at this point, only missing the other two endings and the one for Queen Yharnam.

It was discovering that the chalice dungeons are completely unaffected by the NG+ changeover that convinced me to just finish the game already, knowing that they would neither lose progress nor become harder. I don't know if I'll ever get around to "finishing" them though, as of the first Ailing Loran they are already almost unbearably tedious and frustrating and it looks like they're just repeating bosses at this point, and I'm not a fan of the Blood Starved Beast in the best of circumstances.

I made a new character too, Imogen Baxter, with the intent of trying out a more strength focused build. Man I forgot how unforgiving the start of the game is. There are some serious roadblocks towards getting to the Cleric Beast as those two werewolves on the bridge are goddamn fuckers after that absolutely massive gauntlet of villagers.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:56 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Strength build in this game is loads fun. Also I never even fought Laurence so you're better at this game than me
Old 09-23-2018, 03:04 PM
Fifth Business

It is BloodBlorne's great irony that none of the later feral abominations, legendary warriors, or cosmic horrors ever made me feel half as daunted and overwhelmed as that early game unruly mob.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:59 PM
hang high, soft star

Please at least get to Defiled Watchdog. You owe it to us at this point.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:15 PM
i musnt run away

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
Strength build in this game is loads fun. Also I never even fought Laurence so you're better at this game than me
I don't know if "better" is the right word so much as "willing to take advantage of features that make the game significantly easier".

Been playing with the axe and now the saw cleaver on my second character. Imogen Baxter took down the Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne on the first try each, though she had summoned assistance on the latter. Not sure if I'll complete her playthrough for the "middle" ending, then go back to Finnegan Smythe for NG+ and the "no bosses" ending, or the other way around. Or go buy Spider-Man and finally play that cuz I have a nice bit of cash in the bank at the moment.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:46 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Go get the Pizza Cutter. Itís in the DLC, but you can get there fairly early. Itís the best weapon in the game, youíll wreck everything.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
It is BloodBlorne's great irony that none of the later feral abominations, legendary warriors, or cosmic horrors ever made me feel half as daunted and overwhelmed as that early game unruly mob.
I think the first time you wake up in Yahar'gul after beating Rom might be the most stressed I've ever been in a game. When dudes just kept getting. Back. UP. And the dissonant bells all around. That big huge blood red moon. And all the amygdala around... Yeesh.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:15 PM
i musnt run away

I came back to NG+ for a while and opened up the Defiled Chalice dungeon. It's definitely... annoying to have to fight these bosses I've beaten before with half health.

I threw myself at the Keeper of the Old Lords a bunch of times trying to float like a butterfly sting etc. etc., getting inevitably one-shot on a lucky fire blast at some point during the fight each time. When I beat it it was by very inelegantly hammering R1 in the bosses face, backing off to regen stamina and let them whiff an attack or two then stomping in to hammer R1 some more. Went down on the first attempt with that strategy.

With the fire dog I just summoned another player and an NPC for good measure and whittled the boss down slowly and carefully.

In the main game I could have skipped the Blood Starved Beast but my compulsive ass insisted on getting the two gestures I missed in my first playthrough (Adella the Nun and Djura) which required beating it so I could get Snatched and thrown in jail. That was hell. That fucking thing won't sit still and I couldn't remotely get a read on its attacks for parries. Even with another player and Alfred it took forever to put the damn thing down on account of how much it jumps around.

After that I made liberal use of the fact that you only need to face Darkbeast Paarl, not defeat it, to make Djura friendly and just ditched the fight to go get his gesture. These NPC quests can certainly reach DS1 levels of obtuseness. (Oh yeah I also have to get Eileen's last gesture but I made sure to get all her stuff done in the early game on this go through. Boy she's easy to miss)

Anyway I have three achievements left, two endings and Queen Yharnam. Will I platinum this game? We'll see after I do some webswinging.

Tags
beast mode , bloodborne , from software , seek it , that pale blood