The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-21-2012, 06:04 AM
Jump and shoot?

I'll pick this up sometime in the next couple weeks, so as long as I can get my PS3 online with no hassle (haven't tried it yet) I'm in.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Democratic Robot

I forgot to mention, I actually did run into someone calling themselves Nineball yesterday, a Man of Honor. He had the correct color scheme and everything. Don't know why I didn't hire him.

If anyone wants to make an emblem for us I'd appreciate it. I tooled around in the emblem maker but I am no artist and there's just too many possibilities for my small mind to comprehend. I think I'll stick to the boosting-and-shooting.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Breath of Fur

I've been poking around in there but it hurts my attention span to keep layering basic shapes like that. Maybe I can try to make a Bang face.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Breath of Fur

I may have boost kicked you in the face. Sorry!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Democratic Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna View Post
I may have boost kicked you in the face. Sorry!
I sworded you in the face, so it's ok.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Breath of Fur

Any ideas on how to push up co-op rankings? I can get A's and B's on the order missions easy, but doing the same thing with a partner keeps getting me D's.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Banned

I like robots and I like multiplayer. Should I pick up this game?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Democratic Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid Coffee View Post
I like robots and I like multiplayer. Should I pick up this game?
Yes.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:26 PM

To expand on this Nucular's post here is my 2 cents...

Having been in a love hate relationship with the Armored Core series... loved the original hated 4 but enjoyed For Answer...

Most of my problems with 4 was that I would get to a point where even in the campaign I would just get 1 shot by everything and couldn't get anywhere For Answer was a bit more enjoyable mainly due to the slow down over 4.

Now with 5 things are at a more manageable pass for me. I have time to figure out where things come from and if someone gets right up on you you may be in trouble but not instant killed (Unless they come with a fully charged overweapon or with a tank tread melee)

The best thing though has been the multiplayer. Even though I am on a team of 1 I've taken part in a few territory controls which was a lot of fun through the mercenary system which allows teams to hire other AC pilots to take on missions. It even has a system that lets you filter people and preview their cores before you add them for the mission.

Weapon variety is pretty deep with 3 damage types and multiple weapons per catagory (handguns, machineguns, rifles, cannons, etc...) Which really allows you to build to your play style.

Additionally the team focus adds a couple nice new rolls. The scout AC who is droping recon probs and scanning enemies to narrow down weaknesses and the Operator a non-AC pilot role that allows someone to mark the map and drop waypoint markers and such to really give a command and control style strategy.

So in short yea lots of fun even though I haven't had a chance to really team with the same people to refine tactics.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 PM
I can't feel my face

I picked this up last night on the 360 side, I'm totally willing to join a talking time team on the 360 and it sounds like it's me and you only so far cthulu, I'll look up your team tonight and if you're above me I'll join yours, my team of 1 is at level 10 right now.

I played 4 and skipped for Answer but my favorite change made for 5 has got to be those boost jumps you're able to do off of solid surfaces, it has instantly made urban environments my favorite places to fight, it's like assassin's creed run button with mechs.

I have also discovered I have no idea how the shop works, I have parts already that are in bad condition? and I can pay the value to repair them? Some parts I just flat out buy? It's all madness to me and my wallet. I've been grinding money and trying to clean up my parts list with this but I also think I dropped about 80 grand on the same Gatling gun.

The co-op and mission structure is amazing though, I hired myself out as a mercenary on an invasion mission and when we finished 5 achievements popped, it was fairly ludicrous, but a lot of incentive to keep doing that.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Breath of Fur

I think you have some kind of 'part breaking' but not as drastic as Last Raven's. Then again, the rebel leader guy in Story Mission 1 had his arm blown off when he was deploying the Grind Blade. Either that was cinematic flair or limbs can get blown off.

The shop interface is taking getting used to but I like that they're offering things in sub-categories instead of one massive drop down list. And here's an anecdote as to why.

When playing AC: Nexus and trying to recreate some of my builds from the PSP versions of 3/SL/LR, I hit a water mission, and while browsing the part list, I saw a 'hover style tank leg' part and thought to myself- well GAW-LEE, I can have increased load and AP while not having to worry about water?? So I bought and equipped the legs, drove off the side of the oil rig, and sank immediately like a rock. So, taking the shop's word for it isn't always the best idea.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Croatoa

Nucular and I ran a story mission earlier that led to us fighting a giant, four legged behemoth. Things did not go great. He had been severely weakened by previous fights leading up to the boss, and my build only had one weapon that had the range and damage type necessary to damage the thing without risking my own AC in the process. Oh, also, there was no garage to retreat to for repairs.

So we lost.

AND THEN WE HIT THE ASSEMBLY, RETOOLED, AND BEAT THE HELL OUT OF THAT DAMN THING.

(We got the bonus award for beating it quickly, too!)
Old 03-22-2012, 12:21 AM
Democratic Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckTheLaw View Post
Nucular and I ran a story mission earlier that led to us fighting a giant, four legged behemoth. Things did not go great. He had been severely weakened by previous fights leading up to the boss, and my build only had one weapon that had the range and damage type necessary to damage the thing without risking my own AC in the process. Oh, also, there was no garage to retreat to for repairs.

So we lost.

AND THEN WE HIT THE ASSEMBLY, RETOOLED, AND BEAT THE HELL OUT OF THAT DAMN THING.

(We got the bonus award for beating it quickly, too!)
I was actually at around 4/5ths AP, but accidentally stood under it while it was firing at the beginning. Took off around 1500.

But yeah, once we brought nothing but sniper weaponry it went down pretty dang fast. I scanned it the first time, and funnily enough it was weak to KP. Weird that they'd make such an imposing boss weak to the most common damage type, but there you have it.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:52 AM
Croatoa

Aha. I was wondering why I didn't enter that fight more nervous! I must've thought that we were both in decent condition.

And yeah, I also scanned him, but my only KE weapons all had ranges of like 90 or under (I was in that heavy RJ design that I dueled you in later.)

The scanning mechanic is so effing cool, you guys. I know that recon units are no where near as simple and effective as previous radar systems, but guys, so cool. I cannot wait until we get actual matches going, with high pressure scanning!

Related: what are our rules about inviting not Tyrants to the group? I figure the more decent people we have on, the more likely we are to be able to run full squads of 4 (plus an operator!) on a consistent basis. Any concerns Nucular or Manna?
Old 03-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Democratic Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckTheLaw View Post
Related: what are our rules about inviting not Tyrants to the group? I figure the more decent people we have on, the more likely we are to be able to run full squads of 4 (plus an operator!) on a consistent basis. Any concerns Nucular or Manna?
No objections. I can change the group type tomorrow, assuming Manna's down with it.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Breath of Fur

Yeah, cool with me. The more, the metal-er.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Banned

I had a ton of Amazon promotional credit stored up that I never used, so I just ordered this game for $30.

IT BETTER BE GOOD YOU GUYS OR ELSE!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:43 AM
To the Max

I have quite a bit of store credit too, and I'm really tempted. The more I read about the game the more I like it; the unique online structure reminds me of Demon's/Dark Souls, which isn't surprising considering it's from...er...From. I loved the AC series on the PS1, but the PS2 installments didn't grab me and I disliked what I played of ACIV.

Quick question: I'm planning on getting it for the PS3, but I don't have a headset for the system. Is that a big deal, or is voice chat unnecessary?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willm View Post
Quick question: I'm planning on getting it for the PS3, but I don't have a headset for the system. Is that a big deal, or is voice chat unnecessary?
Voice chat really comes into play in territory matches and anytime you have an operator on your team. However for Merc work you can't hear the operator anyways or anyone for that matter (unless you getting a XBox live party going for XBox users) just makes sharing plans and weaknesses of enemies a bit easier.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Inherently Stealthy

So, since Sasha really liked AC4, I'm contemplating picking this up! But first, questions! I last played AC2 on the PS2. I remember occasionally bafflingly opaque mechanics and a resource system that aggressively punished experimentation. (High ammo and repair costs, low trade-in costs, and very constrained credit rewards) Is that still the case? How approachable is this game - particularly the single-player - for someone relatively new to the franchise?
Old 03-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Democratic Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
So, since Sasha really liked AC4, I'm contemplating picking this up! But first, questions! I last played AC2 on the PS2. I remember occasionally bafflingly opaque mechanics and a resource system that aggressively punished experimentation. (High ammo and repair costs, low trade-in costs, and very constrained credit rewards) Is that still the case? How approachable is this game - particularly the single-player - for someone relatively new to the franchise?
Still bafflingly opaque, but parts are cheap and switching out old ones and experimenting is super easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willm
It's not really necessary until you get to the ultra-competitive 5-on-5 mode. Even then, you could still probably do fine as long as you never play Operator (team leader).
Old 03-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Jump and shoot?

How many of you are using headsets? I'm not certain that it would be worth getting one since I don't know if I'd even play anything else online that used it, but depending on the cost I might pick one up with the game.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Croatoa

Manna and I both have headsets, and at least one of the guys I'm bringing into the group has one.

USB headsets come fairly cheap these days, and you really don't need anything super fancy, you know? Totally worth it. Or yeah, you can get a bluetooth one.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Democratic Robot

I have a headset, lost it and am looking for it. I'll probably just use a usb mic 'till then when it becomes relevant. We haven't really done anything that necessitates that kind of thing yet.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:26 PM

So yea overedweapons... a little bit of a hit or miss so far..They really require a particualar generator (Critical Power Rating) as once activated you have a short time to use them and each use requires you fill a power gauges. My best set up for it right now allows me to use a giant pulse or missile overedweapon once and doing some testing with the mass blade now... should be interesting.

Yea Massblade I can get in two swings and each swing can destroy any AC it hits... pretty powerful and much more usable then the others I have.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Breath of Fur

I've been kicking around trying one of them out, I think if I ever used the Mass Blade/Hammer I'd probably wind up yelling HIKARI NI NARE and embarassing the team...
Old 03-22-2012, 02:51 PM

So far my current favorite AC setup is dual gattling gun primary with Battle Rifle and H.E.A.T. Howitzer secondaries with Anti-missile shoulders.. Especially now that I figured out if you buy from the "Buy" menu instead of the "Buy New" menu you get to set the performance preference.. highly accurate gattling guns are crazy.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Democratic Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCthulhu View Post
So far my current favorite AC setup is dual gattling gun primary with Battle Rifle and H.E.A.T. Howitzer secondaries with Anti-missile shoulders.. Especially now that I figured out if you buy from the "Buy" menu instead of the "Buy New" menu you get to set the performance preference.. highly accurate gattling guns are crazy.
You know what's crazier? High power HEAT piledrivers. Those things one shot ACs if you can connect. And if you can't? That's what my rapid-fire shotguns are for.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 PM

Can't wait to hit Team level 50 and finish getting the rest of the parts so I can tweak some more stuff.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Croatoa

So, uh, Manna and I got us some territory. We're landowners now!

Tags
from software , simulation