The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-15-2012, 06:04 AM
Breath of Fur

Default Nineball Speculation Thread (with some Armored Core discussion)

So, I haven't really seen it come up elsewhere, let alone in its own thread, but with Armored Core V dropping on the 20th, I just thought I'd see who all was planning to get it, or alternatively who wants to get misty about your custom war machines from back in the day?

I'm not sure how to feel about the Chromehounds-esque push for online play, but it seems like it'll be fun so long as I have decent teams to play with. It's good to see combat 'grounded' again- even though I did like 4, it's like comparing Gundam Wing and 08th MS Team. Seeing the emphasis on terrain and most of the leg types seem to have a way to 'dig in' for stability while sniping should be interesting. (Also: Sniper rifles will function like sniper rifles, finally, apparently.)
Old 03-15-2012, 06:17 AM
Minnesota Nice

I didn't even know this was coming out. Sadly I never really got into the last AC I have, For Answer. It just felt a little clunky , particularly in the one mission I played where you have to take down the giant mobile weapons platform from the intro video. Also, the missions against enemy ACs are not so much strategic as look/fly around frantically while trying to get a bead on them and hope they don't kill you too fast.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Jump and shoot?

Armored Core 3 was the reason I bought a PS2, and the series has always been a favorite of mine. Unfortunately, the high percentage of boring or awful missions keeps me from doing much in any of them except fiddle with my designs and mess around in the arena sometimes. I'd play it far more if they just dropped the missions and structured it around the arena, including difficult groups of MTs, AC free-for-alls, bosses etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna View Post
who wants to get misty about your custom war machines from back in the day?
I got the most milage out of Silent Line, as that's the only one I was able to play with other people much. My favorite design by far is based around that one set of (technically) heavy biped legs with a high weight tolerance than don't actually weigh much themselves. I've got it set up with shoulder missiles and extensions that can be emptied quickly, the left arm grenade launcher, and a good machine gun. I set up the rest of its parts as I would for a lightweight, allowing me to enter combat with enough firepower to soften up or kill a tank, with the ability to drop everything but the machine gun and start moving fast enough to catch most lightweights.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Breath of Fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderDL View Post
I didn't even know this was coming out. Sadly I never really got into the last AC I have, For Answer. It just felt a little clunky , particularly in the one mission I played where you have to take down the giant mobile weapons platform from the intro video. Also, the missions against enemy ACs are not so much strategic as look/fly around frantically while trying to get a bead on them and hope they don't kill you too fast.
All of them have controls that take getting used to, hell, the series didn't even adopt dual-analog aiming until I think Nexus (really, AC2 was a launch title and didn't use all the buttons on the controller?) My personal favorite is the tweaked AC3 engine from Last Raven since you can freely reassign tuning points for tweaking your parts just so and the general design of the game made your part choices really matter, whereas in For Answer, I cleared about 75% of the game by creating something with dual bazookas and unlimited flight. (On the other hand, Last Raven is basically the Kaizo Mario of AC games.)

4/4A's other biggest problem to me was how incredibly floaty it felt. I don't know if that was a by-product of EVERY UNIT being ridiculously fast and capable of staying in the air forever, but it seemed like the NEXT's had a tendency to handle like thrown bars of soap at times.

The ginormous boss battles were kind of cool, but I can't say the controls helped me much first time through. Playing the older games then coming back to it under the 'default' controls felt a lot better than the Simplified scheme, which ironically is why I gave the series a second shot in the first place. (My first flirtation with the franchise involved getting pissed off that I couldn't just make my mechs look sweet or slap on gatling guns without upgrading the generator, etc.)

Again; really glad to see they're going back to ground based combat and seem to be emphasizing taking advantage of urban terrain for cover and manuevering. I just hope the part loadouts can be as distinct as AC3's. I think 4's emphasis on BOOST BOOST BOOST BOOST OVERBOOST GOTTA GO FASTER FASTER FASTERFASTERFASTER killed that since you didn't have to go to yourself, "Hm, I'm going to be fighting on an oil rig, so I can either make something lightweight to jump between the structures, or make a hover platform and just fight from the water's surface. Now, do I want to retain my Overboost ability, or trade it for backup weapon storage or an attack drone?"
Old 03-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Breath of Fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Knuckle View Post
I'd play it far more if they just dropped the missions and structured it around the arena.
So... Nine Breaker?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Jump and shoot?

That's the only one between 3 and 4 that I haven't played, but from my understanding it was just the same sort of arena that the series already had in every other game. If there's more to it I'll pick it up.

EDIT: Did anyone mess with the AI trainer in SL much?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Quote:
Yeah. I don't think it really worked that well. It would basically be obliged to follow your lead in terms of how much time you spent on the ground or in the air, how often you switched weapons, which weapons you used first, etc. It was basically a pale imitation driven by simple statistics about your behavior. Mine was supposed to be a pretty high grade and still struggled outside the bottom ten arena opponents or so.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Breath of Fur

Quote:
That's the only one between 3 and 4 that I haven't played, but from my understanding it was just the same sort of arena that the series already had in every other game. If there's more to it I'll pick it up.

I didn't really get it either. Formula Front was an interesting take with its adjustable AI behaviors (and controls so awful that it encourages you to focus on AI rather than practicing them) though, may check it out if you're into watching your creations fight it out. (I re-bought it after selling it once because I was curious how viable my designs would be in AI hands.)

Nine Breaker is apparently nothing but arena matches and 'skill tests.' I didn't get it, but I hear it uses an engine close to Last Raven's and you basically 'win' all your parts and upgrades rather than spend cash in a shop. May be worth a look but it sounds kind of 'eh' to me since I like the Evil Corporate Missions thing more.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:36 PM
:3

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderDL View Post
Also, the missions against enemy ACs are not so much strategic as look/fly around frantically while trying to get a bead on them and hope they don't kill you too fast.
I don't know if I can really be called a fan of the series, since I played the original excessively but then only made an aborted attempt at trying Nine Breaker, but this sort of thing is what kind of killed my interest in AC. I don't want fast-paced aerial/booster battles; I want the clunky, methodical combat of the older games, but I guess the series has moved away from that.

Quote:
Nine Breaker is apparently nothing but arena matches and 'skill tests.' I didn't get it, but I hear it uses an engine close to Last Raven's and you basically 'win' all your parts and upgrades rather than spend cash in a shop. May be worth a look but it sounds kind of 'eh' to me since I like the Evil Corporate Missions thing more.
I bought Nine Breaker years ago, somehow missing that it had no missions when I read up on it before making the purchase. And yeah, it just gives you almost all of the parts from the beginning without having to earn them. I can see how someone only interested in the arena might like that, but to me a huge part of Armored Core is the sense of progression you get from earning money and gradually getting better and better parts until you can compete with the big guys.

Quote:
I'd play it far more if they just dropped the missions and structured it around the arena
BOO

HISS

(Just make the missions more interesting! Babies, bathwater, etc.)
Old 03-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanatos feeding time

I'm just excited that with a Vita I will finally be able to play AC3 Portable with non-shitty camera controls.

(I am so in on this, but probably not until a price drop).
Old 03-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Breath of Fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSyndrome View Post
I'm just excited that with a Vita I will finally be able to play AC3 Portable with non-shitty camera controls.

(I am so in on this, but probably not until a price drop).
I probably already posted in a bitching thread about it, but what I wound up doing was putting Boost on L, shot on R, left arm/extension/swap weapon/OB/EO to the d-pad, and used the face buttons for camera, and it gives a nice faux-dual analog interface. You have to sacrifice the Drop Weapon command though since the game won't let you reassign. Formula Front won't let you do it, though :I So not much chance I can rock the AI with my real skills.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
I probably already posted in a bitching thread about it, but what I wound up doing was putting Boost on L, shot on R, left arm/extension/swap weapon/OB/EO to the d-pad, and used the face buttons for camera, and it gives a nice faux-dual analog interface. You have to sacrifice the Drop Weapon command though since the game won't let you reassign. Formula Front won't let you do it, though :I So not much chance I can rock the AI with my real skills.
Yeah, I tried something similar when I first bought it for PSP. Of course, now that I can map the D-pad to the right analog stick on Vita, that's no longer an issue
Old 03-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Breath of Fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSyndrome View Post
Yeah, I tried something similar when I first bought it for PSP. Of course, now that I can map the D-pad to the right analog stick on Vita, that's no longer an issue
So you've confirmed? Interest in Vita +3...
Old 03-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Democratic Robot

I think my avatar makes it obvious that I am an Armored Core fan. My only real problem with the footage coming out of V is that the visual filter is a bit too grainy/washed for my tastes. What I'm looking forward to the most is the online competitive and the co-op. The mission I saw looked like Monster Hunter with giant robots. We should start a Hardcore Awesome Forever thread when this thing launches.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
So you've confirmed? Interest in Vita +3...
Not directly: I've confirmed that remapping works in other games but I haven't re-downloaded AC3 for it yet. Will try and do so tonight

Confirmed: works great. Mapped look up and down and turn left and right to d-pad, which I then duplicated to the right analog stick.

Last edited by djSyndrome; 03-18-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Breath of Fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucular View Post
I think my avatar makes it obvious that I am an Armored Core fan. My only real problem with the footage coming out of V is that the visual filter is a bit too grainy/washed for my tastes. What I'm looking forward to the most is the online competitive and the co-op. The mission I saw looked like Monster Hunter with giant robots. We should start a Hardcore Awesome Forever thread when this thing launches.
I'm hoping that the grainy filter is more bearable on an actual TV and not a horrible experience like the (brown/yellow/YOU WILL KNOW BLOOM) filters from AC4. FUCK AERIAL INTERDICTION.

(Also yeah, totally noticed the Glint icon throughout the forum. <3)
Old 03-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Breath of Fur

Nobody's speculating on Nineball, btw. I wonder how many people I run into online will be 'playing' him if he doesn't show up legitimately.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Democratic Robot

Quote:
Nobody's speculating on Nineball, btw. I wonder how many people I run into online will be 'playing' him if he doesn't show up legitimately.
I figured Nineball was underground-humanity/Raven era only, seeing as he's an AI and a Raven, and the series left that aspect behind in 4/4 Answer with NEXTs and Lynxes and V looks similar.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Breath of Fur

I miss 'Ravens.' :I 'Migrants' doesn't sound like it has the same ring.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Democratic Robot

Is anyone up for some co-op (ps3)? And is there enough interest for me to start a hardcore awesome thread and TT Team, or are we all just going to be mercenaries?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Democratic Robot

Screw it, I went and made a team anyways.

Name: Talking Tyrants
Base of Operations: Illinois
Play Type: Casual
Password: frog (all lowercase)

Let's dominate the post-apocalyptic wasteland!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM
I can't feel my face

What's the deal with co op in this game anyways? I've been having a hard time getting a straight answer. I've heard 5 player co-op, is that through the standard campaign or is it a separate set of co-op missions?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Democratic Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpers View Post
What's the deal with co op in this game anyways? I've been having a hard time getting a straight answer. I've heard 5 player co-op, is that through the standard campaign or is it a separate set of co-op missions?
From the two missions I've played, how it works is that when a team member starts a mission, a notice appears on the screens of all of the members of that team not in a mission and automatically creates a lobby for joining. Other members can join, with the number depending on the mission, and it works the same for online battles, someone starts an online battle mission/territory invasion and others join up.

Alternatively, you can hire "mercenaries" who are other players. They put their skills out there, and the game generates a list ranked by rating, area, and skill. The player can hire these guys if the mission seems too big to do alone. You can also look to join a mission as a mercenary from the mercenary registry option on the menu.

The whole team aspect is integral to the game from what I've seen. Sounds fun, hopefully it will be more than just me soon.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:17 PM

Yea I picked this up today and have been having a pretty good time. Played about 3 story missions and a handful of order missions and even hired myself out as a merc a few times. Was all around good times though server issues with the shop are a real pain hopefully that gets fixed soon.

Anyways look up the Arkham Defenders team if you want to or look for me on live under GamingCthulhu and I'll be down for some Core actions.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Breath of Fur

I have totally joined up with Nucular.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:07 PM

Oh yea I missed that post may change over when I log in next time.

Edit: Doh you PS3 peoples... got mine on 360 so guess not..
Old 03-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Democratic Robot

So there's a glitch going around where whenever you try to buy something it fails to connect to the server. Namco support says it should be patched soon, but until then I guess I'm stuck playing the early missions.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Croatoa

Oh boy. I'm coming out of lurking to join this!

PSN name: WreckTheLaw
Old 03-20-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucular View Post
So there's a glitch going around where whenever you try to buy something it fails to connect to the server. Namco support says it should be patched soon, but until then I guess I'm stuck playing the early missions.
If it means anything it is effecting Xbox Live as well so there is that...
Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Breath of Fur

Me and Wreck can confirm a language filter on player statuses.

What, you don't test that the first time a game gives you free reign to type?

Welp, had some server trouble tonight, but got a couple story and order missions in. Liking it so far. The AC's have 'weight' to them, but don't feel like BattleMechs or tanks. (I've always kind of had the philosophy with mecha games that if we're already accepting humanoid battle platforms existing, why not give them a range of motion that suits the form while we're at it?) The scan/combat mode voice isn't bugging me as much as expected either. Hee.

Last edited by Manna; 03-20-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: To avoid double posting

Tags
from software , simulation