The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-17-2018, 05:32 PM
The Great

Umbasa!
Old 08-17-2018, 11:59 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

I love the grimy look of Demon's Souls, looks especially good on a CRT
Old 08-19-2018, 01:22 AM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
If you're signed out of PSN when you start the game, it should bypass the login attempt and start in Offline Mode.
After starting up a game today not even connected to the internet I can confirm that this is not the case.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:29 AM
Boom

It will still ask you if you want to sign into PSN, but it doesn't try to sign into the DS server. Deptford's issue was with the 20-30 second wait while it attempts to access a server that no longer exists.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:43 AM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

It never asked me about signing into PSN. I don't even have an active PSN account, and Demon's never needed one of thosr for its online functionality anyways (at least it didn't when I played it last year). It tries to sign into the server no matter what.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:11 PM
Boom

I just tried it with my own copy and it worked like I remembered it. I'm not sure why it's different for you. Maybe something to do with playing it on a profile that isn't linked to a PSN account?

Edit: IIRC, Souls games use your PSN ID as your name when playing online. Are you sure that you played it online without a PSN account?

Last edited by Regulus; 08-19-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:14 PM
Fifth Business

For the record, The Regulus Method worked just fine for me, too. Sorry you're having trouble, Issun! I have felt your pain.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:35 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Overall I'm enjoying this a lot more this time around. Took down Phalanx and Tower Knight and now almost through Valley part 1 but I forgot what a POS that Giant Depraved One is. Guess I'll be buying some arrows and equipping my Thief's Ring.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:53 PM
Binglebottom

Idk which Souls thread to link this in, or maybe there is some general thread about gamers being the worst, but this thread is on the first page, so it seems as good a choice as any to link a piece I wrote for Kotaku on all of the shitty sexist messages people leave behind in Souls/Bloodborne.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:18 PM
Mad Overlord

Good article. I like the concept of the limited messaging system, but unfortunately some fraction of people can be counted on to abuse it.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:58 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Great article. I'll cop to finding "Amazing Chest" outside Gwynevere's room amusing the first time I saw it because I saw it as snarky commentary on her character design. Then I started seeing icky messages everywhere in DS2 and realized that most of these people were just juvenile fucks.

ETA: And of course the highest rated comment is a variation on "Y U Mad?"
Old 08-23-2018, 10:00 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Latria 1: Still the Fucking Best.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:00 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplo View Post
Idk which Souls thread to link this in, or maybe there is some general thread about gamers being the worst, but this thread is on the first page, so it seems as good a choice as any to link a piece I wrote for Kotaku on all of the shitty sexist messages people leave behind in Souls/Bloodborne.
Thanks for writing this. I obviously agree with the arguments, having discussed them for a long time myself, and it's great they're being thoughtfully presented on a site with as long a reach as Kotaku. This

Quote:
The women in the hubs of the Souls games are, to varying degrees, depicted as subservient. The Maiden in Black is pigeon-toed, and she and Dark Souls 3’s Fire Keeper have a sort of binding over their eyes. Anastacia, Dark Souls’ Fire Keeper, has a mutilated tongue and cannot speak. If attacked, the Emerald Herald simply says, “If that is your wish,” and, like the others, will not resist attempts at her life. But it would be a mistake to cast blame upon the women themselves for inviting harassment, as if they, like shamed victims of rape, were “asking for it.” Rather, we should observe that this seems to be a perfect storm of subservient female characters, a portion of an audience eager to reinforce this subservience, and a mechanic which gives them the ability to do so (with a degree of crudity perhaps befitting the messages’ content).
is especially great because it's exactly what I'm looking for in wider discussions of sexism in video games: holding not only the audience reactions but the creative decisions made by the developers informing them accountable, but not in a way that invites scorn and casts blame on the targets of that harassment. I see it so much in attempts at this kind of criticism and it only reveals all too much about the speaker, and I'm glad it's not an element in the article at all.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:19 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Great article, Diplo. This is a subject that definitely needs to be discussed more.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:02 PM

Nice article Diplo.

As an aside, does the binding over the eyes of the maiden in black have some cultural significance that I'm not aware of?

Similar imagery is used in 2B's design for Nier.

What to make of a character like 2B. Is 2B an over-sexualized version of hero? Or empowering because she has agency?

Its a difficult question. Because I would say the history of art, not just video games, has been infatuated to some degree with the female form. When a creation is inspired by beauty vs. being exploitive can be in the eye of the beholder.

This is a round about way of saying, that I never found the maiden in black to be subservient, even though she serves the player. She is the source of your upgrades, so it stands to reason, at least to me, that she is much more powerful than you (the player) are. I always interpreted her as a demi-god that was blessed (or cursed) to work with mortals. I found her detached dialog pretty effective. She is one of my favorite characters in all of the souls games.

Thought provoking article which is always good.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:38 PM
Binglebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voncaster View Post
so it stands to reason, at least to me, that she is much more powerful than you (the player) are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bB3KsfkdWs&t=3m44s
Old 08-24-2018, 10:03 PM
Fifth Business

...kinda wish there had been a spoiler warning for that video link...
Old 08-25-2018, 12:27 AM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

On this playthrough it's been nice knowing what I'm getting into with each stage, so that I'm playing the game on my terms instead of floundering about and/or following someone else's recommended order.

The second playthrough of a Souls game is almost always the best one.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:25 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I forgot how horribly shitty 4-2 is. God it sucks.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:33 PM
I am a Gundam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I forgot how horribly shitty 4-2 is. God it sucks.
yeeeeeeeep

I can do it with only moderate trouble now, but only through sheer force of enemy memorization over like eight play-throughs
Old 08-26-2018, 12:53 AM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

4-2 is one of my favorite levels!
Old 08-29-2018, 10:04 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Finished my replay and I definitely enjoyed it much more this time. Seeing it as its own thing and its own place in the series instead of a rough draft of Dark Souls definitely made for a better experience. Also, figuring out how to cheese the three toughest bosses (Flamelurker, Maneater and Allant) made for a fun exercise. Demon's has by far the most cheeseable set of bosses in the series.

I am disappointed that none of you mentioned you could interrupt Allant's AOE attack when I was first tackling this and bitching about that. Shame should be felt.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:12 AM
:tweet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
you could interrupt Allant's AOE attack
Wait, you can do that? o,o
Old 08-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Robot arms for everyone!

I played through Demon's Souls about a year ago. I did 1-1, and 1-2. It wouldn't let me do 1-3 so I went and finished out 2. I went back and finished 1. Then 3, 4, and 5 were all super easy... I think I played the game wrong. I enjoyed the content but the balance of the levels was wack. Is there more of an intended order of the stages?
Old 08-30-2018, 10:26 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Each world gets more difficult as you progress through it. So if you really wanted to play it ideally, you'd go:

1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1 (opening areas)
1-2, 2-2, 3-2, 4-2, 5-2 (middle areas)
2-3, 3-3, 4-3, 5-3 (bosses)
1-3, 1-4 (the final castle)

But it's probably better to go to worlds that have things you want first (healing items, ore, magic items, {I can't remember what world 4 focused on}, and holy items respectively), or even just pick out specific items and dive for them as necessary once you have beaten the game once.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:27 AM

Basically it wants you to sort of do the first part of each stage. 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, etc. Then you move to part two, and three. Unfortunately for the design it's way more fun to do at least the first and second parts of all of them at once.

Like 1-2 is kind of built to turn a new player/character the hell out with the dragon, 4-1's skeletons are tuned to tell you to go back if you haven't developed any of enough skill, levels, or tools to deal with them.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:29 AM
I am a Gundam!

I think the stages can largely be approached in any order, but 1-4 works best as the final dungeon / final boss.

The game as a whole is significantly easier than other Souls games, imo. I was very upset at how numbers hard Dark Souls was in comparison when it first came out.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:46 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I think the stages can largely be approached in any order, but 1-4 works best as the final dungeon / final boss.
You do have to beat an Archdemon in 2-3, 3-3, 4-3 or 5-3 before you can go into 1-3, I found out.

Tags
from software , let strength be granted , secret best zelda , umbasa , world might be mended