The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-16-2013, 05:48 PM
heh

Holy crap Buster's episode is creepy and hilarious.

Only one more left
Old 06-20-2013, 03:09 AM
In the Hall of Judgment

Just finished this entire new batch. Overall, I'm really impressed with the ambition of what was done here and had some really good laughs with S4. But I share some of the complaints brought up in this thread: the extended length of episodes combined with the fact that each episode mostly focused on one episode didn't always work. It became clear that the real fun of AD is watching the entire ensemble interact with each other and the multiple storylines that bounce off each other within an episode. As others have stated, it did get better as it went along and the pieces started fitting together and setups started to payoff (one of my favorite jokes was the random screams belonging to Maeby), but it just took way too long to get there. Maybe it'll be better on an inevitable second viewing when you can understand the jokes early on (and maybe it'll make the second half boring once you know the payoffs instead). But overall, even though I overall enjoyed it, I think this show simply isn't meant to exist in this format.

I wonder if it would have worked better if they had instead broken it into twice as many episodes that were only about 15 minutes long and distributed the character focus more evenly. Perhaps if we didn't spend so much time on one character (and in blocks, I'm not sure why they felt the need to put the same character focus episodes so near each other) it would better capture the feel of having the whole cast playing off each other.

Also, is it just me, or does it feel like Ron Howard did more narrating than he did in the entire first 3 seasons?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:56 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavir View Post
Also, is it just me, or does it feel like Ron Howard did more narrating than he did in the entire first 3 seasons?
There's a LOT of exposition and most of it is in the form of Ron Howard dumping it on you. Which is part of the problems already mentioned; extra episode length, pacing issues, etc.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 PM
mellow dramatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavir View Post
I remember some of the new episodes as having more than what was usual and others as having far less.

I seriously doubt that there was more narration in these 15 episodes than in the 53 previous. I mean, maybe if you're counting his screen time, but that's not narration (and I still think it's unlikely).
Old 06-20-2013, 11:03 PM
heh

There was a shit load of narration this season, but I do like what they did with it. Making Ron Howard a character in his own right was pretty damn funny, and the felt gag with George Michael thinking over things in his head while narrating worked really well both times.

So, how about that ending. Wow. I'm not sure what I think about it. I just want more. Like, there has to be more, right? They didn't at all write this season with that conclusion and expect that there's a possibility that could be the very end?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

We finished it up the other night. We loved it start to finish.

The structure was very, very different, and I think that's what's putting people off. And yeah, the reason people felt the first few episodes were slow had more to do with not having enough context to spot the jokes yet. But it worked for me. Maybe not exactly the way the first three seasons worked, but it worked nonetheless.

And I loved the ending, even if there never is any more.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:20 PM
AKA: Ryu

Season Four was a blast, but I'll echo the sentiment that it's much stronger as an ensemble show.

The Thanksgiving Miracle alone fucking floored me.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:27 PM
AKA: Ryu

Fakeblock is now available for iOS and Android
Old 07-18-2013, 08:06 AM
A No.1

Hahaha what the hell?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Galaxy's Goofiest Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
Yes, that was intentional.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
That's amazing.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:55 AM
New Video World is out!

Guess what I'm watching for the first time?

it's... it's arrested... the thread subject. it's the...

anyway

I've seen like the first maybe 3 episodes before and liked them but never got further, so here we go from the top to bottom, arsehole to breakfast, all of AD (seasons 1-3 because it was seriously <£6 on DVD for all of it)
Old 08-03-2015, 05:13 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Well, it's not all.

But it is the good bits.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:41 AM
New Video World is out!

So, about this post on page three

Quote:
I started dating a girl around the time that the final season was airing. I was talking the show up, and we were planning on watching it together for the first time that night. Completely unrelated to these plans, it's around this time she decides to tell me that she has a sister with Downs Syndrome who she loves dearly and can't stand it when people use mental disabilities as a punchline.

The episode that aired that night was the final episode of the Mr. F storyline.
They don't... actually use down's syndrome or mental disability as a punchline, right? Because I will cancel my order immediately if so. Cannot abide punching down.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:02 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

I'll spoil the gist of that plot for you, and you can decide for yourself:

In season 3, there is a storyline that is a parody of the manic pixie dreamgirl archetype. In this storyline, Michael (the protagonist) falls in a love with a wacky British woman played by Charlize Theron. It turns out, however, that the reason for her manic pixie dreamgirl-esque behavior was not because she was a mischievous free spirit, but because she was mentally challenged. Michael never noticed this, because her British accent made her sound smart.

In my experience, the joke was more about Michael and the manic pixie dreamgirl archetype than the character with the mental disability. That being said, I was younger and less sensitive to this then, and I totally understand if this could turn someone off of the show.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:04 AM
New Video World is out!

That doesn't sound too bad, honestly, it's not like HAHA RETARD like some "humour". Thank you.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:05 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

If the execution is much worse than I remember, I apologize in advance.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:06 AM
New Video World is out!

You'll be like, "I've made a huge mistake". HA!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:30 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Yeah, I think there are a lot of people who don't like that arc and some who like it a lot. Frankly, I am in the latter camp.

EDIT: Unfortunately, reading the spoil does take away some of the fun since it takes several episodes to reveal the truth. Not that it makes it bad, but I always like it when a comedy has a twist that recontextualizes every moment before (Arrested Development is good at that).
Old 01-08-2016, 07:46 PM
so exciting!

Hurwitz wants to get season 5 out by November but is busy trying to figure out how to get the actors in the same room this time.

Tags
afternoon delight , analrapist , annhog , calorie mate reads this , egg , her? , i just blue myself , i'm a... theralist , mr. f