The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-03-2012, 01:33 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I rewatched the last two episodes of Season 4 last night, and I still like it but I feel like there's...I mean, they basically turn Walt into God. He somehow knows EVERYTHING and is able to correctly predict everyone's reaction to everything, and I get that the point is that he's crazy manipulative, but it kinda almost reaches James Bond Supervillain levels. I still like it, but upon second viewing it seemed like more of a stretch and it already felt like one the first time.

Whatever I'm still crazy excited for Season 5.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

I didn't read it as Walt being god. I mean, I definitely think his plan is convoluted and even calling it a long shot is generous. But watching the entirety of the season again and seeing Walt unravel ... I think by the time he hits that last episode he's literally just grasping at straws to survive. He knows this plan has almost no hope of working, but he's dead anyway so he might as well do whatever he can. I think he's genuinely surprised when it does work.

And another thing I noticed about the show. Walt is terrible at lying when he has to improvise on the spot. But when he has a plan he is an amazing liar. This ties in perfectly with his narcissistic need to control every situation. It's another pretty awesome layer of the show I didn't pick up on until re-watch.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:10 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moirae View Post
And another thing I noticed about the show. Walt is terrible at lying when he has to improvise on the spot. But when he has a plan he is an amazing liar. This ties in perfectly with his narcissistic need to control every situation. It's another pretty awesome layer of the show I didn't pick up on until re-watch.
That's true, I had noticed that sometimes he was awful and sometimes he wasn't, but I kind of hadn't put that together for some reason. But yeah, you're totally right.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Grr. Argh.

The problem with Walt is he's an overexplainer. Overexplainers are consistently terrible liars. A simple, short-form lie is a lot easier to sell, but when you start adding a piled-up explanation to it, people start to get suspicious.

As to Walt's insane Batman Gambits in season four, it's a case of Xanatos Speed Chess. We know Walt's got the mind to play on Gus' level, but it takes the active threat of his own imminent demise to force him into playing ON that level.

I'm still not 100% sure how he knew enough about Tio's thing with Gus to even think to convince the old man to help him; I only seem to remember him being told Gus frequently visited Tio at the home, but not the specifics of why, nor that Tio kind of hated Gus' guts. Then again, I keep missing the last few episodes of S4 on the repeats, and it's been a while, so maybe I'm forgetting something. Still, everything ABOUT how Walt's plan played out is too awesome to criticize.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I love how much of Season 4 was setting up that chink in Gus's armor. It made perfect sense for him to get as sloppy as he did at the end.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Grr. Argh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
I love how much of Season 4 was setting up that chink in Gus's armor. It made perfect sense for him to get as sloppy as he did at the end.
Yes. Very, very yes. Also, you have to kind of respect Tio in an odd way. He was a complete bastard, both before AND after he became an invalid, but anyone who's willing to pull off that kind of awesome stunt...has balls.

Or had balls. I'm pretty sure those were his balls dripping from the ceiling after the bomb went off. Along with other parts of him.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
In the Inside Breaking Bad installment for the finale, Vince Gilligan said that Gus was able to be lured into Walt's trap largely because his near supernatural instincts were being clouded by his hatred for Tio. I can buy that.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythrilMoth View Post
I'm still not 100% sure how he knew enough about Tio's thing with Gus to even think to convince the old man to help him; I only seem to remember him being told Gus frequently visited Tio at the home, but not the specifics of why, nor that Tio kind of hated Gus' guts.
Jesse informs Walt that Gus was taunting Tio, and goes into a little detail about it.

I think at the end, Gus knows there's a small chance that something could be up, but Tio is too important to him.

And re-watching season 4 from Gus' perspective makes him seem way less supernatural. I think given how events unfold, his reaction to what Jesse said at the hospital was perfectly plausible. They spend the entire season making it plain as day just how unraveled Walt has become and how he's pretty much capable of anything.

Watching the whole thing back-to-back, the ending just seemed way more in tune with the entire season than I had originally thought.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Gesundheit!

Sepinwall's review is in. He predictably loves it, but if the show went off the rails, he'd be the first to call them on it.

FIVE DAYS
Old 07-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Gesundheit!

Sorry to be all broken record here but it's a little hard not to get excited by this number.

(in case it changes overnight, it was a fat three digits as of this post.)
Old 07-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

I just want to do my best to forget that this is a thing that's happening. Because there's basically no way to survive the next few days of anticipation.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 AM

I wouldn't expect anything less from Breaking Bad.

Man, I still haven't seen S4.

My plan is: watch short recaps of the previous seasons (since I marathoned through them last winter), marathon S4 and then find some way to watch S5 (since I don't have cable). I figure I can do it since S5 isn't going to end any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Sepinwall's review is in. He predictably loves it, but if the show went off the rails, he'd be the first to call them on it.
As much as I like Sepinwall's stuff, I also like Matt Seitz's TV columns as well. They're sort of ying and yang for me in this scary TV world.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I wouldn't expect anything less from Breaking Bad.

Man, I still haven't seen S4.
Don't watch AMC for the next few days then, since the commercials they're showing for Season 5 have blatant and enormous Season 4 spoilers.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Gesundheit!

Something to tide you over for part of the next awful 24 hours: Apparently the show's depiction of the meth industry is pretty solid.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Banned

Season 4 just got put up on Netflix. I started watching the show a little over a week ago, so I'm only in season 2 right now. Gotta wait before I can read these threads!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Better be the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth marati View Post
season 4 just got put up on netflix. I started watching the show a little over a week ago, so i'm only in season 2 right now. Gotta wait before i can read these threads!
Finally!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:47 PM
weird stuff

tonight! too bad i have to wait till tomorrow..
Old 07-15-2012, 08:03 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Tonight

three hours

arghablargh
Old 07-15-2012, 08:11 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Tonight

three hours

arghablargh
you mean...

RIGHT NOW

WHERE IS YOUR WEST COAST SUPREMACY NOW???
Old 07-15-2012, 08:32 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

It's right here. The west coast is still awesome.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

Loved it.

I believe this show can do the impossible: Have a perfect final season.

Man, that cold open!

AAAAARRGRGRHRH ANOTHER WEEK
Old 07-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Family Man

This is my first episode of Breaking Bad viewed on live cable, and having to sit through commercials is torture!

Lots of good moments tonight. One of my favorites was Skyler's stone cold response to Ted telling her he wouldn't tell anybody about what happened.

I wonder why Walt arranged his bacon in the Omega symbol in the opening?
Old 07-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

I thought it was a 52? For his birthday?
Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Apparently cable shows the HD channels on Eastern times, sometimes? So I could have already watched this? Oh well; t-minus 30 minutes. This'll be the first time I'll have actually watched it on TV. I can already tell I'm going to be pissed off at commercials and the lack of being able to start the next episode.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:47 PM
In the Hall of Judgment

Quote:
Yep, it recalls the 50 from the series pilot, which should give you some idea as to when that particular clip takes place.

Nice, fun, caper-y start to the season, but I'm more interested in seeing the bigger ramifications of Gus' demise. Tell me what Walt has done, Mike!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Gesundheit!

It's the universal symbol for keys.

Glad we got to see the return of Junkyard Man. This show never wastes a good bit part.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:16 AM
Grr. Argh.

My biggest gripe is that the show has delved too deeply into random MacGyvering.

That aside, opening up with another In Medias Res cold open says we're in for some interesting times.

(Also, I really hope Walt more properly disposed of all that incriminating shit he tossed in the garbage when the family came home...)

(Also, is it me, or does it seem kind of sloppy for Gus to have incriminating evidence in such an amazingly insecure place?)
Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Gesundheit!

I thought the MacGyvering was a nice return to roots; they used to do stuff like that all the time. Probably the last time we'll see something like it.

I bet Gus was careful enough that the plot wasn't even necessary, just an outgrowth of their collective paranoia.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
I believe this show can do the impossible: Have a perfect final season.
Watch The Shield.

Fun premiere - exciting without being violent (you gotta build up to it), funny, Walt in full crimelord mode, Mike and Jesse being great sidekicks, intriguing flash forward in the cold open.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Family Man

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavir View Post
Yep, it recalls the 50 from the series pilot, which should give you some idea as to when that particular clip takes place.
I'm bad at noticing things.

I hope Jim Beaver is going to be a semi-regular this season. He's been in a lot of my favorite shows lately.

Tags
4 3 2 1 earth below me , amc , because i say so , better call saul , blue sky bitorrents , breaking bad , calorie mate reads this , crawlspace , ehrmantraut , face off , fear of new threads , fear of old threads , franch , fuckin magnets , huell , magnets! ohhhhhh! , not on dish , science! , team hank , team jesse , team lewis , team walt , team zombie gus , television , the one who knocks