The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 05-09-2012, 01:34 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakenbrau View Post
If it's cool with youse guyse, I'm thinking about sending my mix out early. As early as Friday, possibly. I know it takes ages to get to you America-types.
Sweet - can't wait to be all passe on it by the time these yanks get it. :P

DUDES

I AM SO EXCITED
Old 05-10-2012, 07:16 AM
HAMKING

Sarright by me. Sooner you send it the sooner I can throw it away without listening, then make up comments.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:10 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

The metal mixtape exchange is one of the most involved and longrunning trolls ever. Will is a true master.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:55 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Unfortunately wal-mart was selling jewels cases only in packs of 30. The fuck do I need 30 jewel cases for? I'd have 20+ just sitting around. So you guys are getting discs in paper sleeves. Sorry. The discs themselves should be aces though, the mix is already made and I'm burning copies right now.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:10 PM
HAMKING

Good point, because this is going to be the last time we ever have one of these!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:02 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I'm running out of things to put on mixes. I'm not as good at finding cool new things as you guys. Unless I start overwhelming my mixes with Christian bands...I'm sure you guys haven't heard most of that stuff.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post
I'm running out of things to put on mixes. I'm not as good at finding cool new things as you guys. Unless I start overwhelming my mixes with Christian bands...I'm sure you guys haven't heard most of that stuff.
No Vengeance Rising, please.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I actually talked to the drummer from that band online a couple of times, when I was a high school kid.

edit: I don't want to ruin any surprises, but I threw an Acacia Strain track on there, just for you, Will. Get your kettlebell ready.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 PM
HAMKING

They should make a documentary about how extremely butthurt Roger Martinez apparently still is about the whole Vengeance Rising thing.

@ Ryan: Yay! Is it from The Dead Walk? I haven't checked that one out yet.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:03 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mokrap View Post
@ Ryan: Yay! Is it from The Dead Walk?
Sirrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:14 PM

Mixes away!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

My penis weeps with excitement.

I'm glad girls don't read this thread.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

First mix, get. I got Roger's AKA Crackinsnout. On the third track as I type. Comments imminent. (must spin whole mix twice first)
First impression: Protest the Hero was aight.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:07 PM
120 Days

Have the mix as well. Immediately took a skinny dump on it. Impressions soonish
Old 05-29-2012, 04:46 PM
A No.1

Received the first mix as well. Haven't spun it yet, but glancing at it I see Nile, and Long Distance Calling, so I'm already pleased. (Although you switched the name of the song and the name of the band on the last track, duder.)

On the other hand, you included Daughters and a pretty overrated Pantera song, so...
Old 05-29-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
Received the first mix as well. Haven't spun it yet, but glancing at it I see Nile, and Long Distance Calling, so I'm already pleased. (Although you switched the name of the song and the name of the band on the last track, duder.)

On the other hand, you included Daughters and a pretty overrated Pantera song, so...
Yeah, I realized I mixed up the Long Distance Calling listing right after I'd printed and cut and packed half the mixes already.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:14 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Oh! Post rock! That's what Long Distance Calling is. According to wiki. I've noticed lots of not really metal things on here (but that's totally fine). I pretty dig this track though.

Are you getting excited for the first comments?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:59 PM

Yes! I am!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Clickclickclickclick

I just got the mix in the mail!

I am going to print out inserts elsewhere tomorrow as I am currently printerless and my mixes should be out Friday if everything goes according to plan.

I am going to be out of town with limited internet access next week so I will look forward to all of the commentary on my mix. I will also post liner notes on my song choices and selections when I get back from the trip. (I don't want to spoil your fun).
Old 06-01-2012, 01:20 PM
HAMKING

Will spin Kraken's mix this weekend. I'm already impressed with the booklet/inlay thing!

I'm glad we do this.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Clickclickclickclick

It's away!

Love it or hate it, you can't deny the talent of the bands I have selected. And due to a printer mishap (no blue ink), the cover art turned out the color of blood and organs. I think it makes it more sinister.

I swear the girl at the post office ripped me off.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:05 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Krakenbrau

Robot - Rad Assassin

1. Scale the Summit - So I'm not crazy about how this song starts off, but a little ways it in changes into a jam, and I really quite dig it from that point forward. Nice.
2. Protest the Hero - Might be my favorite track on the mix. Progressive metal but with a classic metal sound. I also really dig some of the vocal work, it stands out. Some very cool music here! Good addition.
3. Prong - Maybe ten years ago I would have been more interested in something like this, but this does nothing for me.
4. Daughters - Weird sound, kinda noisy alt rock or whatever. Overall? Pretty cool.
5. Nevermore - For every cool guitar part, there's at least as many inane parts. I also don't like the vocals at any point.
6. While Heaven Wept - I can't think of anything to say about this other than I don't like it at all.
7. Revocation - I'm not crazy about the first half of the song, but once it gets to the more melodic fun stuff, it really comes into its own. So I really dig the latter half of this tune.
8. Vader - Before looking fully at the tracklist, I was like hey, this is Vader! Not a bad track by any means.
9. Nile - Before looking fully at the tracklist, I was like hey, this is Nile! I'm not crazy about it until it gets to the heavy plodding chug. Then it becomes righteous.
10. Behemoth - I listened through the mix at least twice and had no idea I listened to a Behemoth song. That's not a good sign.
11. Burst - Kinda sounds like they're trying to be avant-garde but aren't particularly gifted at it.
12. Tid - Song drags in places, so I can't say I love the overall tune, but there are some very cool aspects to it that I like a lot. Not bad overall, just wish they tightened it up a bit.
13. Pantera - Not much to dig here except for some of the guitar work.
14. Long Distance Calling - My thoughts here are sort of similar to the Tid track. I love the way this track starts and ends, nice use of the sound bite, it just sounds like utter melancholy. But the in-between stuff isn't nearly as interesting to me.

So overall, I got to hear some really neat ideas and might further check out a band or two. Thanks Roger Robot!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Just Talking Meat

Listened to this on a long drive today. I liked most of it! Listening notes... after I'm done playing Diablo 3.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:08 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

What album is that Protest the Hero song from, Roger? And is that where you recommend I start? I figure I should give 'em an honest try. That song IS pretty damn rad.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:33 AM

That's the opening track from the newest album (April '11), Scurrilous. That whole album is gold. Same goes for the one before it, Fortress. I can't count the number of times I've listened those two albums. When I first heard Fortress, I literally didn't play anything else on my mp3 player for weeks. I wouldn't really recommend anything that came earlier than that though. As to where you should start, my gut says start where I did, with Fortress, but I think you'd probably be fine starting with either.

(If you get into them, I'll be pretty damn excited. PTH have almost been a guilty pleasure of mine, since every metal-person I've spoken with regards them rather scornfully.)

And yeah, the best part of that Nile track is the massive chug. One of my favorite moments on the album.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:49 PM
HAMKING

Robot - Rad Assassin*

1) Scale the Summit "The Great Plains" - Reminds me a lot of the sound Intronaut has on the quiet, interlude parts of their songs. Soothing, breezy, silky. The credits are rolling at the end of Arc the Lad II.

2) Protest the Hero "Cest la Vie" - A speedy, proggy hissyfit! Sounds like someone listened to a lot of Fates Warning. I think. I hate Fates Warning. Totally shredtastic, bass sound is nice, soaring vocals. They sound like they are really good at this music. Not my bag.

3) Prong "Snap Your Fingers Snap Your Neck" - Sort of like Pantera and Ministry mixed, I guess. I never gave these guys a shot, despite having heard about them a lot over the years. Didn't grab me.

4) Daughters "The Hit" - A boring person who didn't know about drugs would say this sounded like Danzig on acid. What it actually sounds like is Danzig on art school. Which is, to my surprise, pretty cool. I will have to look into this further!

5) Nevermore "Born" - No amount of badass Jeff Loomis riffing/soloing will ever make me not hate Warrel Dane's voice. The fact that it is so unique and polarizing is exactly what makes it cool, and I'd guess ol' WD-40 doesn't give a fuck what I think, so more power to him (keep in mind this is coming from a dude who non-ironically likes this, so what I think about singers is probably not normal (srs)). Except they broke up? Oops.

6) While Heaven Wept "Hour of Reprisal" - Sad elfmetal that actually has some balls. Weird! Not my bag, but I give them props for sounding about a million times heavier than what I think of as their contemporaries. Also, even if Metal Archives says otherwise, this band is Finnish as fuck.

7) Revocation "Chaos of Forms" - Easily one of my favorite young/modern bands and a total contender for SAVIOR OF METAL. They have the pop songwriting chops to appeal to a wider audience than most metal bands, breakdowns and thrash riffs for the moshlords, wicked solos for the neckbeards, and have just a tad of the deathcore gestalt that might get the kids into it. Also, on this album they totally said, "Fuck it, why not put organ solos and cock rock stuff in?" Fucking A right.

8) Vader "Lead Us" - Vader fucking rules. Cold, punishing, Slayerized death metal with one of the most awesome vocalists in death metal. Vader pretty much always makes me go, "Fuck yeah!" immediately upon hearing them, even if I don't listen to them as much as I should. Should be right next to Bolt Thrower on your "Death metal to lift weights to" playlist. Put on Vader, pick up a heavy thing. Repeat until getting laid without 1) paying for it or 2) GHB/rohypnol becomes feasible.

9) Nile "4th Arra of Dagon" - One of my favorite bands! The only thing more awesome than fast Nile songs are slow Nile songs. Or the other way around. Like a giant fucking anaconda squeezing shit and final breaths out of an entire planet.

10) Behemoth "Inner Sanctum" - I really like Behemoth, but kind of feel like this album had the misfortune of being a pretty good album released between great albums. Also, I KNOW YOU'RE THERE, WARREL! I hope you're happy. There is one song on my hard-drive that you sing on. He'll probably do a guest spot on the new Pig Destroyer or something and really chap my ass.

11) Burst "I Hold Vertigo" - I remember hearing about these guys a lot when the whole NeurIsis thing blew up in the early 2000s, but I never actually listened to them. The vocalist has a weird, uncontrolled hardcore vibe that I'm liking. OH SNAP THE QUIET PART. Whoa, they come back from the full-break with some death vocals. This has a sort of bouncing undercurrent that I'm digging. Nice! Even the quiet parts are bubbling rather than just oozing around in elevator-cheeze. Will give these guys a further look.

12) Tid "SE" - Sounds like Vikings marching through a swamp. Eventually they're going to reach that monastery on the other side and oh, boy! So much rape is going to happen! This is menacing as fuck. I want to listen to this next time I walk my dog through a sketchy neighborhood at night.

13) Pantera "Floods" - A very cool sort of interludish track from what is probably Pantera's most pissed-off record. I mean, all of their post-glam period albums are totally awesome music to do beers, lift chicks and fuck weights to. GSTK, though, has some really fucking abrasive, crazy fast shit on it. Hey, they got Seth Putnam to guest on it, so there you go. This song, though, was sort of a pressure release near the end of the album. It actually sounds sort of Downish at points. I dig, obvi.

14) Long Distance Calling "The Very Last Day" - OMINOUS DRONE CLOUD ON HORIZON. This is a pretty good closer! I like the zombie/disease outbreak/disasterpocalypse movie vibe it gives me. I'M FUCKIN' DONE, SON - signed planet earth.

packaging - good work! You obviously put some effort into this and it shows. I really dig the label-maker look. I was obsessed with label makers as a kid (have severe brain problems).

*Of course I didn't actually listen to this. Dogs took radmassive dooks on it and I just made some stuff up.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

There is no way that post was written while sober.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:28 PM
HAMKING

Actually, it was. Perhaps the afterglow of a particularly good workout session was making me giddy.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:51 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Second mix, hoooooooo! Is everyone seriously going to put Rihanna on the packages they send me? I laughed. Let's see what you got, Odin.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Nonplussed

I want to know when Will was replaced by a body snatcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post
Second mix, hoooooooo! Is everyone seriously going to put Rihanna on the packages they send me? I laughed. Let's see what you got, Odin.
I got the second mix today as well. I know a lot of the stuff on it already, but they're not bad tracks.

Robot Rad Assasin feedback:

1. Scale the Summit - The mix has a bunch of proggy stuff in it, so it's fitting that it kicks off with a track that has that aspect to it. The long guitar runs in the latter half of the tune are cool. Pleasant.

2. Protest the Hero - Okay, this is way better than my opinion of Protest the Hero says it should be. I've heard a tune or two from compliations in the past, and they didn't do much for me, but this one is good.

3. Prong - I'm a fan of Prong (at least the first two records), although this isn't a track I'm particularly into. Good, but not great.

4. Daughters - This is the kind of thing I'm afraid of when I see somebody listed in a band as playing "Electronics". All the electronic wankery overpowers the guitars, but not in a good way. The singer seems like he's channeling PiL-era John Lydon.

5. Nevermore - I've followed Nevermore since they rose from the ashes of Sanctuary, and they can be a bit hit or miss for me. I think the mix on this is not doing Jeff Loomis any favors. He's guitar just doesn't cut through the way it should, and the drums are way too up front (which I'm saying as a drummer) and sound like shit. I dig on the solo, though.

6. While Heaven Wept - This is the kind of thing I'm afraid of when I see when I see sombody listed in a band as playing "Keyboards". Actually, this track is fine, but the production sucks all the life out of it. The singer has got some good pipes.

7. Revocation - It's riff soup in the Dillinger Escape Plan style. This kind of tune lives or dies on the strength of the individual parts. The parts on display are a mixed bag.

8. Vader - Nicely atmospheric intro (even if it has keyboards). Oh, now comes the completely squashed flat drum sounds. Aside from that, I dug the middle section.

9. Nile - The beginning of this track kind of drove me nuts. It just seemed like each member was playing a different song without hearing what the others were doing. The drummer especially just made me scratch my head. However, right around 5:30 it turned awesome. I didn't even care how repetitive it was, because it was so brutal and bludgeoning and awesome.

10. Behemoth - This is a band that I've heard of for a long time and even heard a few tracks from, but they've not done much for me. The tune is a lot more varied than anything I've heard from them before. The presence of Warrell Dane was a little jarring at first. Overall I like this, but I wonder if the more black metal-ish tendencies I recall from other tunes is the rule with these guys.

11. Burst - Man, the snare on this song sounds like complete shit. The vocalist reminds me of somebody, but I can't put my finger on it. I know it's cool to bag on metalcore, but I dig a lot of it. This makes it harder to defend.

12. Tid - This track starts out pretty relentless. I dig the intensity and tempo (not quite fast enough to be thrashy, but too fast to be doomy). Spacey at times as well.

13. Pantera - I was really into Pantera until right before this album came out. I think Far Beyond Driven just seemed to indicate they weren't going to climb out of the rut they were digging ever deeper. I concur with Will that there's some Down to be heard in here, but I think that's mainly Phil's delivery.

14. Long Distance Calling - Once the guitars finally kick in, this gets pretty epic (at least until they back off). I like this although I'm not sure there's 10 minutes worth of stuff I enjoy in it.

Tags
appreciative yob noises , calorie mate reads this , gas station blowjays , italo disco , recommendations