The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 09-15-2012, 05:32 PM
120 Days

I just got hair metal - this stiv?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:13 PM
HAMKING

I've been way too fucking lazy in this thread. SORRY, BROZ.

Calories
OJ 287

1. Orange Goblin - That drumbeat and bass riff at the beginning really make me wish I had a switchblade. Love the splat! sound the kickdrums make. Off to a hell of a start. BAYBAYHAYY. Drunk sex tunes.

2. The Melvins - Somewhat recently been getting into them. Awesome shit. On pretty much all their songs, it sounds like Crover is beating a whale to death with a MagLite.

3. Angel Witch - Awwwwwwww yyyyyyeeeaaaahhhhhhhh fucking love this album! Might be my favorite NWOBHM album. The perfect mix of fast, muscular riffing and unabashedly fruity solos and vocal hooks.

4. Gurt - Fuck yes. After hearing this I ended up getting their split with Dopefight and also one of their EPs. Stomping retard caveman wizard music to the maxx. Love the vocals, too. And that name, haha, have no clue what it means but is sounds like the noise someone would make if you dropped a bowling ball on their stomach.

5. Pallbearer - Buttery smooth doom is not really my thing, but I can tell this is well done. A lot of soul in the vocals.

6. Midnight - *snorrrrrrrt* I WANT A KAWASAKI AND A NINJA SWORD LET'S GO FIGHT

7. Goddess - I was just saying the other day I need something to play in my space-station nightclub while I strut around and disregard bitches. Thanks, bro.

8. Ghoul - I don't like narration in my music. Whatevs.

9. Dopefight - Spiritual brothers with Gurt. Less immediate than the Gurt song you threw on here, has a nice slow burn buildup. Love the strangled vocals.

10. Viaje A 800 - This didn't really get to me. Don't know what else to say about it.

11. Stubb - Reminds me of a ton of other bands all at once. Is this a legit oldster band or are they retrotards? Sounds pretty nice.

12. Pelican - I sort of skipped these guys during the NeurIsis craze and stuck to Neurosis and Isis. I'm ok with that.

13. Hooded Menace - This is pretty cool. Wicked groove and awesome death vox. Been meaning to check these dudes out further. Love the nasty bass, too. Very nice SadHero twin guitar harmonies.

14. Trippy Wicked and the Cosmic Children of the Knight - This wasn't nearly as awful as the band name led me to believe! I was sort of zoning out near the end when the triumphant keyboards woke me up! Yay! I just climbed a mountain or flew or something!

Overall: This was the heaviest mix so far, freal. You introduced me to some really cool shit.

Also, I need more info on Goddess. Do they have a bandcamp, etc.? Where can I find their shit? Their bandname sort of leaves them Google-proof (and I lost your liner notes, so I can't use the song title).

EDIT: Founded it: http://goddessrocks.bandcamp.com/album/discovery

Last edited by Mokrap of Croton; 11-18-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:19 PM
HAMKING

SLYAN'S MIX:

Cover art: yeah a dragon!

1. The Acacia Strain - "4x4": Fuck yeah! Machotard stomp with some slick guitar leads. Lift-core. I haven't really gotten too bonered over what I've heard of their newest album, but I have this one and the next two. They all rule. Hard. Love the extremely ignorant lyrics/delivery. Off to a great start!

2. Crowbar - "Lack of Tolerance": I tried really hard to get into Crowbar with Odd Fellows Rest. I generally dug the music, the whole doom/sludge/hardcore mixture is sweet. However, the vocals spray-fart all over it and make me hate it. The general whiny nature of the lyrics is also a turnoff. Same story with this song.

3. Marilyn Manson - "The Love Song": Is the song right before the next song.

4. Solefald - "Hugferdi": Other languages are fucking hilarious! EVERYBODY HUG FERDI! This is way too folk/sad foresty for me. They pull of some decent vocal harmonies, and the blasting is tight. Still, not feeling this. Goblin vox 666.

5. Samael - "Angel's Decay": I have heard a Samael album before, but not this one, I think. Castlevania black metal. Not doing much for me, but it's neat. Croak vox 666.

6. Impelliteri - "Slay the Dragon": Cocaine motorcycle ninja sword! A whacky laugh! A scream! This is fucking awesome! I have been searching for the meaning of EVIL. Fuck a dictionary, just ask an impellrigatoni! Maybe it's just because I've sat through like 4 songs in a row that I didn't dig, but this is righteous. Could I take a whole album of this? No way! But right now? Boner re-engaged! (also the song is totally about how you just have to work hard and fight for what you want and how everyone has a "dragon" in their lifes like maybe you're really fat or have acne and you just need to work out and wash your face real good and that's your dragon you gotta slay)

7. CORRRRRRRRRRPSE - "Compelled to Masturbate": I fucking love Corpsegrinder CC. This fucking rules. I don't have this album, but I'm digging this. P sure they played this when I saw them last year. Maxxximum pit riffment. Corpsegrinder is the quintessential death metal frontman. Whammy bar abuse gibberish solo is def a plus +++++. Awwwwwwww yeah the breakdown riff. *brb smashing coffee table with my bare (bear) fucking hands (claws)*

8. SYL - "Home Nucleonics": I'm not the biggest SYL fan, but this is pretty rad! Maybe I should go back and revisit this album someday. I think I can actually put up with Devvy when he's going full on dickhead mode and not being 1) "zany" and "funny" or 2) trying to convey some sort of actual emotion like being sad about rehab or whatever. Hitting a stride here, Foxxxie.

9. Type O Negative - "Letters": Silky smooth voice that was always killer. Boring ass music. Hard to call it. Boner still engaged just on strength of Steele's awesome voice and stupid trilling r's.

10. Atomic Opera - "Joyride": Haha, that first bass riff/beat is straight out of "Dr. Feelgood." That's alright, since that is one of my favorite Crue songs. They lose me when it starts to get kinda sappy and I keep wishing it was "Dr. Feelgood." Not bad, but just sort of floated by. Boner is confused.

11. HORSE the Band - "The House of Bod": I think of these guys like Genghis Tron's retarded little brother that is against all odds still pretty cool. Thanks, Ryan, for eventually getting me to listen to them. "The House of Reviving Will's Rod." Nintendocore breakdown was neat. Also, the bass playing sounds really slick.

12. Krisiun - "H.O.G.": Champions of not fucking around even a little bit. Saw them live years ago, pretty sure I grew extra chest hair and maybe got taller. Killlllllerrrrrrrrrr

13. Paramaecium - "The Voyage of the Severed": Sepulchural dirges of infernal majesty. Unspeakable Satanic orgies of twisted demonic limbs. this must be what plays when they anal-rape Jesus in Hell. You can tell the band is really feeling that, too, since this is nothing but pure evil. If I ever meet a traveling evangelist I will play this for him to deconvert his sheepish Xtian mind! I can't understand the lyrics but I'm getting strong demonic vibes from the vocalist. The dudes in this band must've been on lots and lots of drugs and probably thought premarital sex was O.K.! Big Hail Satan to Paramaecium.

14. Imprompturotini - "17th Century Chicken Pickin' (What the fuck?)": I'm pretty sure I just beat Dynasty Warriors. !!!!

15. SSS - "The Answer is Never": Totally solid crossover thrash. I usually don't like retro bands, but these dudes rule. Love the slow, rolling intro riff before shit goes bonkers. Ultra-razor-tight riffing. "I piss...IN YOUR MOUTH"

16. Tsjuder - "Mouth of Madness": The only black metal album I've ever worked out to. Bonus points for how dumb Nag sounds when he pronounces "monstrosity." I really hope "Nag" means something cool in Norwegian or ork language or whatever. Strong bass presence and real weight to the sound. Love the midpaced headbang riffing becoming thrash breaks. Breaks up this album nicely (since most of it is fast blasting, but almost death-metal heavy). Brutal black metal! Fuck yes. I can really dig on black metal that sounds like this instead of sad foresty shit.

17. Furia - "Zippidy, Nile Odoriforous": Oh goddamnit.

O.K. This really isn't as bad as it could've been. Oh, there's a nice thrash riff! Oh, it lasted like 4 seconds. Now more crying guitars. Still, this is a shitload better than the other sadforest bm song on this mix. Can't really get into it, but it's aight.

18. Motorhead - "1916": From a Motorhead album I don't have. I really like Motorhead but I'm pretty sure I'll never hear this song again if I can help it.

Like all mixes it was a mixed bag (get it?!?). Some really cool shit here, though. I may give Furia another look sometime.

More super-late reviews to come!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:47 PM
120 Days

Good job brah!

Ive got 2 more as well. Its fucking happening :/
Old 12-09-2012, 07:53 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Castlevania black metal: fitting description for that Samael song! I rarely listen to that album any more, my tastes have changed, but I really really dig that song, even if I'm into more manly metal these days.

Glad you liked at least one of the Impellitteri tracks! That song IS awesome. That album is pretty goofy, but pretty sweet at the same time. Almost put the first track instead just because of the face melting solo.

You do not need that CC album, there's like two great tracks on it, the rest are just ehhhhhh. But those two tracks, especially the one I included, fucking rip shit into pieces. That song has TWO brutalizing badass riffs, besides all of the other badass riffs in the song. When CC are on, they are unstoppable.

So did you actually like the music to the Paramaecium track? That album has some fantastic stuff on it. Not every moment is top shelf titties, but more of it is than not.

I totally did not put two songs named "House of Bod" and "H.O.G. (House of God)" on the same mix on purpose, much less back to back. Funny how that worked out.

Furia is really good stuff if you're in the mood for some atypical black metal. I really like that breakdown (with plenty o silence) in that track. They are quite artistic in their approach. Also the vocals are masculine. If you ever do decide to give them a fair shot, I would recommend the first full length to start out with, probably my favorite material by them (but I also dig the EP this is from and the second full length).

That Motorhead track almost brings a tear to my eye when I listen to it. Not even joking. I guess it just hits me more than anyone else apparently. I'm totally still a tough dude bro though.

Thanks for the comments, snickerdoodle!

edit: finals are this week, I promise to finish my reviews during the break.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM
HAMKING

The music was o.k., but I don't listen to a whole ton of death/doom, I guess. I was just joshing you for putting a christian band on there.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:37 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

*snicker*

Also: since you mentioned it, the first three Horse the Band albums all have rad bass playing, not so much on "Desperate Living" (which still has other strengths).
Old 12-23-2012, 10:21 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
I haven't recieved Stiv's or Stephanieez yet. Rat bastards!

I'll be reviewing SLs sooooooooo n
Soon?

NOW!

Tenacious D - Roadie - Rise of the Fenix, the album, is pretty disappointing. I did buy it at a gas station in Ponoka though. It has a giant flaming cock on the cover. A++. This song is awright - a sort of post script to Brutal Legend

Bullet For My Valentine - Alone - No sir, I didn't like it.

Trivium - Caustic Are The Tie That Bind -Some of these bands are kinda the metal music equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts or something. Some ok vocals on here though. I'd play this for a girl after telling her I had some vodka and weed back at my place, when in fact, I do not. I pretend to call a dealer when, in fact, all my utilities have been turned off. How am I playing the music? My ipod shoved into a toilet paper tube.

Machine Head - Be Still And Know - I like this. Great intro!

Lacuna Coil - I Don't Believe In Tomorrow - Why not? Tomorrow believes in you! Not my bag.

Devildriver - Hardened - Not usually a big fan of DD songs I've heard lo these many mixes, but this one grabbed me. Some really cool drumming.

God Forbid - Walk Alone - Not bad. Got me pumped for steel toe boot vandalism.

All That Remains - From The Outside - Couldn't parse this one.

Diamond Head - Nothing To Lose - These guys are fucking cool. I say this everytime, but I WILL NOW FOLLOW UP AND GIVE THESE GUYS FUCKING MONEY - Any suggestions on an album to buy?

Black Sabbath - Sabbra Cadabra - It's fucking Sabbath. It rules.

System Of A Down - Question! - These guys. I like the singer, it's like he's the Zappa of metal. But otherwise they don't do much for me.

Judas Priest - Tyrant - Of course I love Judas Priest. and this song is excellent.

Killswitch Engage - This Is Goodbye - Yikes.

Lamb Of God - Visitation - Good to see Randy out of the clink. I'm not a huge fan, but can appreciate these guys from time to time. This song is ok.

Black Label Society - Rust - my good pal/brother lately described these guys as Bro metal for what he calls "Chad-zigs" or guys named Troy. All this despite he himself being a big BLS fan lo these many years. Not for me assuredly.

Comes across as negative, but I am a prolapsed ass hole! Hi five brother!

Anyone have the track list for HAIR METAL? I lost it!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Clickclickclickclick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Diamond Head - Nothing To Lose - These guys are fucking cool. I say this everytime, but I WILL NOW FOLLOW UP AND GIVE THESE GUYS FUCKING MONEY - Any suggestions on an album to buy?
I highly recommend The White Album which compiles their first LP and most of their second LP into one Compact Disc of Pure Heavy Metal.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:07 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
I highly recommend The White Album which compiles their first LP and most of their second LP into one Compact Disc of Pure Heavy Metal.
Yeah, that's the one to get. They had a stint kind of moving into...I don't know, concept albums or something? Then they fell apart for a long time and the newer stuff is a lot more rock than metal. That song I tossed on there was actually from their new stuff, though, when I bought 2 albums for $10 at their show.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 PM
HAMKING

TheSL

1) Tenacious D - I've never been a huge fan, but it's funny when he drops f-bombs. I really mean that, he says the word very well.

2) Bullet for my Valentine - I have never actually heard a song of theirs all the way through, I think. I don't know what I thought they'd sound like, but it wasn't this. They have a bunch of Swede-core riffs and then it sounds like solid, modern power metal, but not as fruity. I had the impression they were a scene-core band for some reason. Were they?

3) Trivium - Another band I've never listened to, really. I have the Capharnaum album their singer-dude was on, but nothing of theirs. I would like this better without the little syrupy parts sprinkled in. The guitarists are pretty rad! The harsh vox are pretty good (and were on the Capharnaum album, so that makes sense). The clean vocals aren't bad, either, but combined with the sweeter music it just sort of kills their momentum. I figure this is one of the things that makes this band unique and all that, though. Diff'rent strokes.

4) Machine Head - I've never been a fan, even through all their many different sounds. Something about Rob's vocals doesn't sit well with me and their songs are always too long. They can kick out some good riffs, but I have the same problems with them as with the Trivium song (although the Trivium song was way better).

5) Lacuna Coil - still haven't fired the dude singer. Why? Not my bag. THE BOTTLE HAS BEGUN

6) DevilDriver - Sound like a badass "gateway" band or however you say that without sounding like a dick.

7) God Forbid - I had Gone Forever when it came out and played the fuck out of it, but then just sort of lost track of them. They still sound fairly similar here, maybe a little more melodic. Still good thrashy riffs, pretty decent hxc vocals and so-so cleans. Best song on the mix so far! Glad to see they still do their thing this well.

8) All That Remains - Just sort of went on by.

9) Diamond Head - Your above comments finally convinced me to get the White Album. Fuck yeah! This song is pretty cool, too. This dude's voice is so fucking weird and rad. He sounds like the most articulate drunk wailer ever, haha.

10) Black Sabbath - Yup. \m/ Asses where enshakened.

11) System of a Down - These dudes sort of got lumped in with the nu-metal movement, which I think is unfair. They have a pretty unique sound, and aside from being fairly popular heavy music don't have much in common with Static-X or Slipknot or whatever. I always had friends that had some of their stuff when I was in highschool and pretty much always liked what I heard. This song gets kinda thrashy, which is cool.

12) Judas Priest - Yup. \m/ Fists were enpumpened.

13) Killswitch Engage - See the problems with 2 and 3 but x 1000. I've always thought KsE had some badass metalcore parts, could get really heavy and had some cool breakdowns, but the clean parts make me want to barf. Again, I get that it's their trademark, so I'm not saying they would be better as another generic American moshcore band. It's just not my thing.

14) Lamb of God - Taken in small doses I really dig LoG. I haven't spun a whole album at once since Ashes..., but maybe I should check them out again. I saw them live right when Ashes was coming out and it was a badass show. Intense mosholation all night and gallons of brosweat everywhere. Totally killed. An updated Pantera. Siqq riffs, great for moshing or lifting, and Randy's vocals are unhinged and badass. This is now the best song on the mix.

15) Black Label Society - Oh man! I haven't heard this in forever! Sad biker. Our generation's Forever Angel? QUITE POSSIBLY. Both are hilariously overwrought, performed by people who are total dickbags in real life (probably), funny because of how awful they are, but actually are pretty awesome unironically. Great way to cap this off.

Tags
appreciative yob noises , calorie mate reads this , gas station blowjays , italo disco , recommendations