The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Oily Butt Thing

so I am given to understand Shane was like "fuck it I can just get some of those Roddy Piper cyborg knees"
Old 04-03-2017, 07:50 AM
Is there not one thing

I understand the 'mania had a runtime surpassing even Inoki's most self-indulgent NYE cards. Idk how y'all do it.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:22 AM
concern troll

It was way too long. I think the crowd was literally asleep for the last hour before taker appeared.

Good show, but it could have been shorter for sure, especially the preshow.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:39 AM

My viewing party had a body count: three folks were passed out by two hours into the show.

I personally tapped out after HHH/Rollins. Awfully boring show.

But the Hardyz are back and have solidified themselves as the last team standing of the TLC 6 and after five years of enduring jeers and punchlines every time I suggested they can do another run I am vindicated
Old 04-03-2017, 08:41 AM
Is there not one thing

The Hardyz are the Millennial generation's Rock n Roll Express.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:43 AM
Oily Butt Thing

I would compare them more to the Midnights, as Jeff shares Stan Lane's tendency to inexplicably disappear.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:46 AM
concern troll

Important to remember just how young the Hardys broke in. They have a ton of miles and bumps, especially with their styles, but they are still only 42 and 39. Still plenty of time for another good run.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:48 AM
Oily Butt Thing

dunno if it's really possible for them to get over as heels in this day and age, but ideally they would do the Jushin Liger thing and reinvent themselves as angry southern ass-kickers in the Arn & Tully mode.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:55 AM
concern troll

So what the hell do you do with Wyatt now?

I had a crazy idea that they could let him take a break and come back with a new family of NXT stars. Maybe take over as the leader of Sanity or something.

He really should have turned into a vigilante Babyface by now. People want to cheer for him and they won't let him be evil enough or win as a heel.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Is there not one thing

Yeah, from what I hear Bray is in a position not too different from the Road Warriors' early heel runs. They didn't change a thing about their promos or gimmick to turn them face, they just had them brutalize heels for a while.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:19 AM
:O

I think they should shut the whole thing down and we should all get way into Medieval Times instead.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:24 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
I think they should shut the whole thing down and we should all get way into Medieval Times instead.
But Lucha Underground is on Netflix now. There was time! There was finally time!
Old 04-03-2017, 12:18 PM
concern troll

The best thing they could do tonight on Raw is hit Taker's gong and then Roman's music and have him come down in his jacket and hat. The crowd may literally try to kill him. Then have some not-at-all ambiguous babyface come challenge him. I'd go with Sami, since he just defended Foley and would work well as a defender of someone's legacy, and Roman could beat the shit out of him for a while to further himself as a dominant heel.

My biggest fear is he'll come back with that "I'm not a bad guy, I'm not a good guy" shit and try to walk the line.

Safe money on Balor returning tonight? Maybe Shinsuke debuts?
Old 04-03-2017, 12:21 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I understand the 'mania had a runtime surpassing even Inoki's most self-indulgent NYE cards. Idk how y'all do it.
Spend the evening teaching Emma how to play Uno and resolve to FF through the damned show in four hours or less over the next week. I learned my lesson last year.

AJ dragging Shane to something acceptable and even good basically guarantees him another Outstanding Wresler win in the Observer awards. I'm just kinda sad that they gave away the Forearm-RKO-NOPE spot before he actually starts feuding with Orton, as he will once Randy figures out how to turn off those projectors above the ring that are presumably the sources of all of Bray's remaining supernatural power.

Kinda weird that Matt and Jeff are going to Raw, but I presume that New Day's going to wind up on Smackdown so that kinda makes sense...? I'd actually move Sheamus and Cesaro over before either of those teams, simply because they can both have fun matches with AJ and Nakamura.

(After the entire weekend... it's genuinely amazing just how much Melina screwed up things for JoMo, because he's obviously the only guy that Vince will never ever ever take back.)

Other callups include Dillinger and Almas, BTW. The Drifter hasn't come up yet, which is good, because Nakamura is apparently working house shows through May and they're doing what I can only call a genius spot in main event tags:

Dillinger was in the ring doing some kind of raffle when Elias Samson came out with his guitar, under a mask and said his name was the Straggler. Then Riddick Moss came out. They both wanted Dillinger so Dillinger asked if anyone in the back wanted to be his partner. Nakamura came out and Nakamura & Dillinger beat Moss & Straggler in what was said to be the most exciting NXT match in Florida this year. Nakamura spent the match trying to unmask the Straggler. He finally did, but he had a second mask underneath. Nakamura then put on the first mask and transformed himself into a luchador doing some lucha spots including doing a dive. Moss unmasked him, and he turned back into Nakamura doing hard hitting offense.

Last edited by Sven; 04-03-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:17 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Oh, and WWE confirmed today that JR's signed a two-year deal. He was non-exclusive with NJPW, but I don't know if that'll work both ways. I'm inclined to doubt it given, well, it's Vince and he obviously doesn't play well with others.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Oh, and WWE confirmed today that JR's signed a two-year deal. He was non-exclusive with NJPW, but I don't know if that'll work both ways. I'm inclined to doubt it given, well, it's Vince and he obviously doesn't play well with others.
That's good. Hopefully this means they pay him to pal around with Mick and some of the other old guys now that he's lost basically everything good in his life.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:39 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
That's good. Hopefully this means they pay him to pal around with Mick and some of the other old guys now that he's lost basically everything good in his life.
I don't know if this was in the works beforehand, but getting him to work the main event was probably theraputic.

(For crying out loud, the man's CAT died of a heart attack a few days ago.)
Old 04-03-2017, 07:21 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Okay, I owe someone a beer because I'm pretty sure I bet that the Revival weren't going to be on the main roster.

Angle is the new GM since Steph's being written off for a few weeks. Fine, fine... all I care about with him is that Edge and Christian's show is filming season 2 and HOLY SHIT THIS MEANS ALL OF TEAM RECK IS ON TV.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Is there not one thing

Finn pins Roman Reigns clean, restoring the sun to its rightful place in the sky and banishing winter.

e: please understand this is my fervent wish, not any sort of recap
Old 04-04-2017, 09:28 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

He already beat him clean when he debuted last year. They had the rocket up his ass until the shoulder injury screwed everything over.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
He already beat him clean when he debuted last year. They had the rocket up his ass until the shoulder injury screwed everything over.
Sounds like they've put the franchise tag back on him. I am glad for this decision by the awful company.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:55 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

They're unlikely to sacrifice Roman to him again, though - not as long as Roman keeps doing near-Cena merch numbers*, anyway. But Balor's one of the two guys on the roster who could potentially make a run in that regard, and his action figure sales are supposedly already through the roof (Shane Helms apparently is set for life because of his action figure royalties).

The only thing that'll derail Finn is the fact that, from day one, they've pegged him as The New Jeff Hardy. Except they have the REAL Jeff Hardy back, and if Jeff keeps his shit together I bet you could pull some legit money in with him as a sympathetic little guy against Brock. Speaking of:

The odd thing there is that the shrinking of the roster and Jeff putting on some weight as he's aged means he looks bigger than half the guys on Raw these days - and that's with the obvious compression shirt. Look at him whenever he was in there with Karl Anderson last night, it's like he's an action figure that was made in a slightly larger scale.

(Jeff's aim was REALLY off last night, though - he squished Anderson twice and REALLY missed the Swanton on Gallows at the end. You could tell he was at the end of a ROUGH weekend.)

* - Which probably isn't as impressive as it would've been in, say, 2009, but is still impressive.

Watched the full Raw last night because the NCAA title game was a worse abomination than Orton / Wyatt. Thought it was a really good show overall, and Kurt's a pretty perfect choice as the GM. Worried for Sami's career, though, as he seemed to be getting saved by default because the face side was so cleaned out and now he's below Rollins / Balor / the Hardyz / Roman.

Safe to presume Nakamura's up tonight, as is Almas. Still not 100% sold on Dillinger and Drifter.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Is there not one thing

Finn is more charismatic than Jeff by an order of magnitude and carries less baggage with him. There isn't a lot of age between them, but I get the feeling Finn has more upside.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:44 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Jeff Hardy is the only man in history to actually cause TNA house shows to make money. Finn's got a long way to go before he makes that type of connection with the audience.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Jeff Hardy is the only man in history to actually cause TNA house shows to make money. Finn's got a long way to go before he makes that type of connection with the audience.
The guy just starting out in the mainstream has less of a following than the one who headlined multiple big time ppvs, absolutely.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:24 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
The guy just starting out in the mainstream has less of a following than the one who headlined multiple big time ppvs, absolutely.
Even after a few years on top, I doubt Finn's ever going to have that connection Hardy does. If Jeff hadn't been as into drugs as he was, he'd... well, he'd be retired off all the money he would've made from 2007 (the big drug test failure that cost him MITB) to 2012 or so.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:39 AM
..and his little cat, too

My big question: Are they going to reignite the Stephanie-Hunter-Kurt love triangle?
Old 04-05-2017, 09:42 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
My big question: Are they going to reignite the Stephanie-Hunter-Kurt love triangle?
Oh, god, I could vent for about five paragraphs about that fuckup.

Anyway: HOLY SHIT I SOMEHOW WANT TO SEE MIZ VS NAKAMURA NOW

Word of advice to the guy with what I presume was a "I am here for Nakamura" sign: don't write Nakamura in red when the arena's going to be bathed in red for his entrance.

(Also: the post-205-live dark match was Nakamura vs Dolph, which also would be perversely amusing. Apparently got ruined by another fucking beach ball. Just one more week of these annoying Euro fans screwing up shows until we can just relax.)
Old 04-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Is there not one thing

I hope Shinsuke wrings every dollar he can out of the bad company and then retires with several of his joints intact.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:45 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
I hope Shinsuke wrings every dollar he can out of the bad company and then retires with several of his joints intact.
He's got two money feuds: AJ and / or Cena.

Nakamura / Cena seems more like Cena's annual "holy fuckballs, that was great" Summerslam-ish program, with the exception that I think Nakamura's rather uniquely suited to reining in Cena's tendency to make the matches move-kickout-more spectacular move-more spectacular kickout-repeat for twenty minutes.

And, of course...

We've waited more than a decade now.

(The other interesting possibility, although it's a long way off, is finally seeing Nakamura / Owens)

I'm frantically re-loading the Observer page to see when the issue's up so I can post Dave's speculation on who's going where.

Tags
firebreaker chip , ice train , it's still real to me , lazertron