The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 08-25-2016, 01:10 PM
We just don't know.

Push day went well. Managed 2x5 at 115 of front squats which is a big up from my previous front squats. Went up to 135 and banged out a couple good sets of 8. Bench suffered from coming after Squartz but I still got 2x8 at 135.

I think I want to try and get in more often for fewer lifts. Like, just pop in for a half hour and do back and go home. Shake off the idea that it needs to be an Event.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:31 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

how often are you going, Paul?
Old 08-25-2016, 01:55 PM
We just don't know.

Not Very

I'd say I average somewhere around once-twice a week.

This is just for lifting, mind, I also have HEMA on tuesdays/thursdays so I'm getting some exercise those days too.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:08 PM

if you're just looking to maintain for Good Health, 1-2 times a week of lifting is fine if you're supplementing with other exercise, which you are! and judging from your AWESOME SWORD PICS you're looking great.

If you want to actually get stronger, you should probably kick it up a notch, yeah.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
If you want to actually get stronger, you should probably kick it up a notch, yeah.
Actually, Paul thinks weightlifting doesn't make you stronger. That's a direct quote btw.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:12 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
Actually, Paul thinks weightlifting doesn't make you stronger. That's a direct quote btw.
1. No it's not
Old 08-25-2016, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
1. No it's not
The exact words were "lifting weights only makes you better at lifting weights" in the context of personal trainers making clients do bullshit exercises that do nothing when I said they should focus on exercises that build strength.

So yeah, once a week sometimes ought to do it.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:01 PM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

I only go a couple times a week for 30-40 mins (any longer stretch and I get bored and anxious) and I've nonetheless definitely seen gains in the course of the last year. Maybe not UUDD/Mokrap-level bodybuilding, but that's a high bar to clear.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:05 PM
We just don't know.

Considering your definition of "bullshit exercise that does nothing" is "anything besides a pullup, bench press, squat or deadlift" forgive me for rolling my eyes even harder. Besides, once a week sometimes seems to be roughly the same schedule you're on. How is it working out?

Toast: yeah, definitely. The thing is when I get into the gym it's usually been a while so I want to make sure I cover as much as I can, and do a bunch of stuff. If I can go even twice a week for a long time each, it's not optimal but I can at least cover all the bases. But when each trip to the gym is such, like, a big thing, it gets that much harder to work up the motivation to get to the gym in the first place. I'm thinking I'd rather do more smaller trips; pop in, do squats, go. Pop in, do chest and shoulder stuff, go. Pop in, deadlift and some back stuff, go. Get more smaller trips so I can get into a more frequent habit, which will result in more overall work for each muscle group. And more overall work, since I can tack on a bit of cardio to each trip instead of a bit of cardio to just a few trips. Plus I won't be as tired from one thing leading the other; if Squats drain me, I don't have to worry about bench sucking because the only other thing I'm planning on is a bit of leg work or stationary bike.

Now just to make it happen~
Old 08-25-2016, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Considering your definition of "bullshit exercise that does nothing" is "anything besides a pullup, bench press, squat or deadlift" forgive me for rolling my eyes even harder. Besides, once a week sometimes seems to be roughly the same schedule you're on. How is it working out?
More like, "Don't bother with anything else until you've done your bench press, pull ups, squats, and deadlifts." Sorry for giving the best advice and that it's so simple. Or are you upset because it's hard to follow?

If you like, I can detail my 3x/week lifts for you so you can read about yet another guy you outweigh by thirty pounds smoke you in everything.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:51 AM

TK Flash and Paul, chill out brothers. Strength is an individual journey, there isn't always a right or wrong answer. People need to work at their pace and sometimes certain exercises that are good for one goal aren't good for another. Or, sometimes people just don't like or want to do a certain exercise. If you aren't competing, then it really just depends on your goals.

Anyway, I've begun integrating some farmer walks and they're dang awesome. I don't have enough space in the gym to use the trap bar for 'em so right now I'm using 125lb dumbbells and walking until 'ahhhhh' and it feels real good. I also tested my max on weighted pull ups, just for fun, and I can do a weighted pull up with an additional 165lbs. I weigh 175 right now which puts the total at 330. I've always loved and done shit tons of weighted pull ups but I really didn't expect the number to be higher than my bench max.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:13 AM
HAMKING

Farmer walks will get you YOKED sonnnnn

One of my fave assistance lifts.

My cold is still lingering so I haven't done any lifting this week. I think I'm coming out the other end of it now, though!

EDIT: Those Rehbands are still available btw. Zero dollars, just promise to squat in them.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
TK Flash and Paul, chill out brothers.
i'm enjoying the back and forth sass. After each post, I just see this

Old 08-26-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mokrap View Post
Farmer walks will get you YOKED sonnnnn

One of my fave assistance lifts.

My cold is still lingering so I haven't done any lifting this week. I think I'm coming out the other end of it now, though!

EDIT: Those Rehbands are still available btw. Zero dollars, just promise to squat in them.
Oh shit, are you giving some away? I'd absolutely be down for that. And squatting shall absolutely be done.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:36 AM

children, play nice

Decided to skip shoulders this week to give my right front delt some TLC. so today was heavy arms day.

lateral cable curls: 45 lbs per side for 2x10, 5, 7, 5. Changed up where I did these - now doing these on a regular cable column instead of the dual cable cross machine - so I dropped weight a little bit and concentrated more on form. BURNING FEELING AHOY-HOY.

bentover DB preacher curls: 55 lbs for 8, 2x7, 5. Nice rep increase here.

hammer curls: 85s for 2x12, 10, 7. 6. Significant backsliding on reps, but I think it's because of the changeup with the lateral cable curls and the increase in reps on the preachers. not mad. Though if I don't recover next time, I will be.

cable straight bar pushdowns: 130 lbs for 3x10. next time I'll move up to 135!

dips: first time doing these in a while. did assisted with 25 lbs off my fat ass fo4 6 reps, then went unassisted and did 4 and then 5. felt great!

Tomorrow will be HIIT cardio and core, and then I'll hit the gym Sunday am for high rep back, since I'm leaving town Thursday afternoon and don't want to fuss with lifting on vacation.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:23 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mokrap View Post
Check your PMs
Old 08-26-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Check your PMs
How about we each get one.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:54 PM

I've got a nutrition question. I do strong lifts 3x a week in the morning and then go to my job where I'm on my feet walking around for 8 hours and occasionally lifting 40lb boxes and palettes should i be adding more protein? I try to Match my body weight . I.e. 160g but I've heard it's hard to make gains if you have a physical job.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2016, 02:24 PM
utada hikaru

1g per pound is almost certainly enough for your activity level. Here is Dr. Mike talking about protein if you want more information. That being said, it's not like more calories are going to kill you, but they could come from anywhere

The only reason I would be concerned about your activity level at work affecting your strength gains is if the energy you're using during the day would leave you too tired to actually do the work you'd need to do during your workouts. If you're still a novice it won't be a big deal
Old 08-26-2016, 02:35 PM
We just don't know.

Yeah, like if you do deadlifts and tire out your back/glute chain and then can't lift stuff. It shouldn't affect your gains. Honestly if you're doing physical labor that's more likely to make you stronger; Strongest man I ever met never set foot inside a gym, he just worked as a pipelayer (I mean you're not quite doing that level, but still). If you're worried about not getting enough protein, it'd be easy enough to toss in a protein shake on break or after work. You can bring one in a segmented thermos with like compartments for protein and other stuff and mix it there, or keep some in your locker, or get like a bottle of muscle milk. Or drink it when you get home, or in the morning. Last I checked the research it seemed like timing and speed of digestion didn't actually make much if any difference as long as your daily intake was at the level.

Me, I just made a tasty-ass chocolate peanut butter banana shake (ingredients: unflavored straight whey, milk, 1 banana, 2 spoons natural pb, unsweetened baking cocoa) after going in for a Quick Lift like I was talking about before. It kinda worked; one hour. I did deadlifts and some back stuff. DLs, I had one of those days where some prankster stapled the bar to the floor, probably because my legs were more tired than normal coming off squats Weds and pretty intense HEMA sparring last night. But my back stuff went pretty well; did 3x8 face pulls at 100lbs while maintaining my form and a hold at the face, plus seated rows for 115lbs.

I think if I do half that I can make it a quick daily thing without much problem. Heck, I can even do it before or after practice without much problem. ... ... ...maybe when it gets cooler.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:37 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Some of the strongest natural athletes who ever lived worked physically demanding jobs. IIRC John Davis worked with his hands and all he ever did was win two gold medals.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:05 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Some of the strongest natural athletes who ever lived worked physically demanding jobs. IIRC John Davis worked with his hands and all he ever did was win two gold medals.

james j. motherfucking jeffries, boilermaker by trade, also heavyweight champion of the world.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:07 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

also jeffries won the title from new zealand blacksmith bob fitzsimmons, reckoned by ring magazine one of the ten hardest punchers of all time.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:06 PM
Banned

It's so weird to look at when all you ever see anymore is roided up freaks. My physique more closely resembles that first guy than any modern bodybuilder/weight trainer I've ever seen.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:42 AM
utada hikaru

Ample's new circuit
Old 08-28-2016, 08:50 AM

Default The music definitely made it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat View Post
Sometimes you see something so stupid it incurs physical pain
Old 08-28-2016, 09:00 AM

Speaking of old school dudes I find my physique looks a lot like Bobby Pandour, especially when I lean down. I've been meaning to take my camera and doing a little shoot for progress photos so when I get around to it I'll be sure to post 'em up here. The late 1800s-1940s are where all of my favourite physiques come from
Old 08-28-2016, 10:03 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
It's so weird to look at when all you ever see anymore is roided up freaks. My physique more closely resembles that first guy than any modern bodybuilder/weight trainer I've ever seen.
Yeah, it's really interesting whenever you can find details on the training methods used back then. The Jeffries take on strength training was just hard pointless physical labor. Somewhere I once found an account written by the proprietors of a resort he stayed at, where they talked about all the ditches he dug and stone walls he built while he was in training.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:17 AM
HAMKING

In a way, all of this *is* just simulated farm work, after all.

First day back after being sick all last week. It was alright, no PRs but it felt good to be back at it.

OHP: 135 x 3, 155 x 3, 175 x 7, 205 x 1, 135 x 10, 155 x 8

Weighted dips and chins: Mokrap + 25 3 x 10 of each

facepulls

Weight is still coming down, still fat. Happy with how my upper back is coming along, though. This was right before I lifted today.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:34 AM
We just don't know.

Rob Liefeld Captain America, is that you??

Tags
#assbutt , anatoly comin' , believe in yo'self , body explosion , brodin , bulk up for the big game , butt-glutes , deca dick , do you even clean , fightingroad! , hamglue , i'm gonna boo boo , jotunheim , king of bench , lifting buddha , lifting is not a sport , maximum goku , maximus claw , muscle bomber , paul is dead