The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-11-2009, 07:50 PM

You have to site a building, then go to Constructions (where you can also build floors, walls, fortifications, etc.).

Did you build a Still? If not, do so now, make sure to have plenty of barrels, and set the brewing task to repeat. Your dwarves generally shouldn't be drinking water unless they're injured.

Last edited by Gredlen; 02-11-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Looking at the DF wiki, there's some tilesets that use video game sprites, so you can make your game look like it came from the SNES or something. I'm thinking about using one, but something just doesn't feel right about the idea.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

SHould I have a full time still operator? I feel like my farms don't produce enough food, so I don't know if I should be brewing. I do have one and i'll give it a try though.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
SHould I have a full time still operator? I feel like my farms don't produce enough food, so I don't know if I should be brewing. I do have one and i'll give it a try though.
I find that if I have a farmer/brewer and have him work a 3x3 field he ends up being able to farm the field and produce the drinks from that farm at a decent rate.

However later on I end up with a farm that is worked by 3 people and 2 permanent still personnel.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:33 PM

Brewing doesn't use up seeds, so it shouldn't affect your food output much.

In unrelated news, Gamespite just endured its first siege. My idea about building a wall, fortifying the top, then mining out the wall didn't pan out, but I forgot I can basically build fortifications in mid-air, if they're adjacent to something. So the bridge above the entrance now has fortifications on either side, which is where I stationed Brer's squad. I drafted a bunch of recruits, because there turned out to be more goblins than I expected. I stationed the recruits below the bridge, to keep the goblins from getting too far.

What I didn't count on, though, was the absolutely relentless and lethal stream of bolts being rained down on the goblins. As soon as the engagement began, the goblin macewielder at the front had bolts through his lungs and heart. Very soon after, two other goblins were dead and the horde broke off, utterly demoralized.

This marks the point where I'm going to be shifting my focus more towards the defense of my fortress. I'm going to need to find out how siege weapons work, build my new entrance, set up a lot of traps, and speed up construction of the tower. The new stairway is coming along very quickly and it's close to catching up to where my current highest floor is, so it shouldn't be long before the tower is ready to house the barracks. I already have plenty of archery ranges dug out right below the tower (which Brer's squad has made use of to become actual marksdwarves as opposed to mere recruits), so now I need to start making different types of weapons and armor, as well as recruit some more people into my new standing army.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:00 PM

Siege stuff: goblin armies sometimes bring trolls. Trolls can break down doors, but NOT walls, and there are no sappers or enemy diggers in the game yet either.

Holding off an army is not at all a difficult thing. Safeguarding the incoming immigrants, on the other hand, is.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:59 AM

Ok, that tileset was a bad idea. It made the game so big it barely fit on my monitor and something about it just hurt my eyes.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:00 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Wait, so... the Goblins were beaten when they accidentally killed their own leaders?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:06 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Naw, the dwarves rained crossbow bolts on them from the bridge fortifications if I read that right.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 AM

aww the beauty of isolation.... no need to worry about sieges... Bettter part... luring in goblin sieges into false entrances. Locking them in place and letting the magma in.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Indeed, my reading comprehension sucks. Though my way was way more awesome.

Nunix, next time you get attacked, just wait around until the Goblins accidentally kill themselves with their own arrows!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi

I started playing this. It's a lot of fun, though its pace is a little slow for my tastes (might just be my computer). I am running into a problem with the trade caravan, though, I can't seem to get my lazy broker to go over and actually trade with them. I've got the depot built, but the [t]rade option is just grayed out.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminallyinane View Post
I started playing this. It's a lot of fun, though its pace is a little slow for my tastes (might just be my computer). I am running into a problem with the trade caravan, though, I can't seem to get my lazy broker to go over and actually trade with them. I've got the depot built, but the [t]rade option is just grayed out.
You need to "Request trader at depot". There'll also be an option under that to toggle, whether you want the trader specifically (who can be set under the nobles interface) or just the nearest idle body.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:08 PM

Press q go over the Trade Depot and press r. This will request the brooker to go to the trade caravan so you can trade. The other thing you will have to do is select items to be carried to the trade depot as well.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Hi

I got that far, but I can't figure out if the screen's supposed to say "no trader required at depot" or "trader requested at depot" and whether it should be "anyone can trade" or "only broker can trade."

I'm having a hard time telling if the option is on or off, you see. Does pressing r request a trader, or is it set already?

Also, I'm worried that the broker might be doing some higher priority job rather than what I want him to.

Never mind, I JUST got it.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminallyinane View Post
I'm having a hard time telling if the option is on or off, you see. Does pressing r request a trader, or is it set already?
Yeah, that kind of thing always bothers me. I hate it when games do that. In Dwarf Fortress, at least, the option that is displayed is always the one that is active. So if you see "r: Trader requested at depot," that means he knows he's supposed to be there.

Quote:
Also, I'm worried that the broker might be doing some higher priority job rather than what I want him to.
You can see what your designated broker is doing when you hover over the trade depot with 'q' or (of course) if you manually look for him in the units list. If you want to force your broker to go to the depot, you can turn off all his labors and he should head to the depot (as soon as he eats... and drinks... and sleeps...).

Anyway, I've got more screenshots!

I didn't pay attention to genders when naming all the dwarves. Brer is one of the many (among whom I am included) who ended up with the wrong gender. So Brer is literally the crazy cat lady of the fortress.

I decided to 'revive' a couple of people (aka I just named a couple of the migrants after dead dudes). Ample Vigour here is an Elite Wrestler. The "Master Wrestler" thing you see there is his skill level, while Elite Wrestler is his title. This means he's a hero and I can't change his labors anymore. He's permanently in the military now.

On a less heroic note, someone else has been revived, with a custom title even! Every fortress needs one (not really).

I knew someone was going to engrave this at some point. I was waiting for this one with bated breath.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Man, I hope it's such a prestigious death. With my luck I'll probably die in a freak irrigation accident.
Oh, by the way you went berserk and went down in a flurry of wrestling moves and crossbow bolts from my whole military. Somehow your head got severed in the process.

Last edited by Gredlen; 02-13-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:34 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

I must somehow live up to my digital doppelganger's exploits.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:19 PM

Man, I'm beginning to think the place I picked for my fortress is too calm. Nothing to hunt, nothing to fish... My only hope is that the two thieves I chased away earlier mean a real raid is coming. I've got two elite and two legendary wrestlers and I'm eager to see them take down some gobbos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gredlen View Post
Oh, by the way you went berserk and went down in a flurry of wrestling moves and crossbow bolts from my whole military. Somehow your head got severed in the process.
Awesome.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I've got two elite and two legendary wrestlers and I'm eager to see them take down some gobbos.
You might want to train some marksdwarves, too.

... Let's just say even legendary wrestlers aren't invincible when enough goblin archers are involved...
Old 02-13-2009, 09:57 PM

Oh, I've got a couple marksdwarves. They'll likely be my main source of killing against small raiding parties too, since my fortress entrances are all blocked by doors and fortification walls. Unfortunately I have a tiny amount of bone on my map thanks to nothing to hunt or fish, so I have very few bolts. Even when I have bolts they don't seem to care about training.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:10 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
... Let's just say even legendary wrestlers aren't invincible when enough goblin archers are involved...
"The candle that burns twice as bright burns half a long. And you have burned so very, very brightly..."
Old 02-13-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
"The candle that burns twice as bright burns half a long. And you have burned so very, very brightly..."
That line is cool, but saying it out loud makes you sound like a jackass.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:53 PM

So Gredlen, whatever happened to the Talktime fortress?
Old 07-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

By the way, while I did more or less get the hang of this game, I also taught it to two of my friends who got WAAAAAAAY into it. I would come over and they are sitting on the couch talking, each with a laptop running Dwarf Fortress. Weird times.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Ugh

Quote:

We all must make sacrifices to push forward this great dwarf society. You were too beautiful for this world.
Well, it's like my dad always said, "Adam, you'll probably show up late to your own funeral."
Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Ugh

YO DAWG I HERD U LIEK ISOMETRIC VISUALIZERZZZ

http://tigsource.com/articles/2009/1...ess-visualizer
Old 11-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Gettin' dizzy

Now something like that could make the game less confusing and really make me want to try playing it. If only you didnt have to use the original game graphics.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:13 AM

Can you even play the game in Stonesense, or is it just going to be running next to the actual game as you play? I think looking from one to the other would confuse me more than just playing in ASCII (especially if you have to move their windows separately as it seems the dude is doing in the youtube vid).

Now, if it displayed more than one z-level at a time so I could get a better sense of how my mountain looks, that would be handy.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:21 PM
No No No No

STRAWBERRY FORTRESS IS UNDERWAY!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 PM
MassiveOnlineBunnyArena

I've been on a huge dwarf fortress kick recently and I know we have a LP of it coming up so I figured it would be a good time to bring this thread back.

For those of you who have never tried dwarf fortress or were too confused when you did I found a great tutorial. It's a little old and it's for a tile set, but it is still a great tutorial.

So recently I've been working on aquifers. I've tried pumping em out, I've tried working around them and I've tried sealing them off with magma and then digging them out. As of yet, nothing has worked. Anyone have some suggestions?

Tags
dwarf fortress , losing is fun , strike the earth , thisgamehatesyou