The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-15-2019, 02:27 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I am more than willing to tolerate the silly awkward remastered Android graphics just to have Final Fantasy V on my phone always.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:27 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

I love everything about Castlevania II. I prefer Sierra On-line style kill you at every chance, random puzzles, adventure game design over LucasArts. Final Fantasy:MQ is my favorite FF. Even the dam level in TMNT is redeemable and being able to do it without taking hits and with time to spare is Dark Souls level mastery feelings. I don't think DraculaX is a bad game.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:34 PM
-ryn

let me be the 4th to say that Skyward Sword is my favorite modern zelda. I finished it, which is more than i can say for BotW, TP, and WW.

I spent way too much time playing Europa Universalis 4 and I enjoyed it. My wife was so tired of hearing about how I conquered different parts of the world play by play. I really enjoy empire building and history games (my wife calls them Map Games)

Back on NES, as a kid I dedicated much time completing all 40 levels of Battleship.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:40 PM
Outraged!

My heart grows large with all the Friday the 13th love. My college roommate and I still religiously try to beat it on every relevant Friday, lest Jason kill everyone. You can cheese your way to a torch pretty quickly, which makes things way easier, but I still manage to screw up the third day 9 times out of 10. Hes just impossible to dodge if you have even a tiny bit of lag.

Janky old NES games like that or The Adventures of Dino Riki, Hydlide, and Deadly Towers are always fascinating to me and I love picking them up from time to time. For SNES: Brain Lord and Lagoon got a lot of rentals out of me back in the day.

Cant think of much starting with the playstation. My free time to income ratio took a swerve at that point so I tended to start moving on to whatever was new and shiny if something was questionable.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:15 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
For SNES: Brain Lord and Lagoon got a lot of rentals out of me back in the day.
Same. I'm sure I'd find 'em hard to go back to now, but I still have fond memories of renting random SNES RPGs.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:20 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

I thought Mass Effect: Andromeda was the best game in the series. It's kind of a janky mess but it's got the best combat and the freedom to mix and match abilities was really enjoyable. Also exploring the world on a vehicle was actually fun this time around.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:27 PM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Pronouns: ♂

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Same. I'm sure I'd find 'em hard to go back to now, but I still have fond memories of renting random SNES RPGs.
I'll third this. I still have fond memories of Lagoon, even if I never got far in it. Those random SNES RPG rentals helped me discover Final Fantasy 2 (U.S.) and Ys 3: Wanderers from Ys, so I'd say those rentals were a net good.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:37 PM
Not Constantinople

Xenogears' story and dialogue is a mess but it does ask some interesting ethical questions and the game has atmosphere for days.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:53 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
I thought Mass Effect: Andromeda was the best game in the series. It's kind of a janky mess but it's got the best combat and the freedom to mix and match abilities was really enjoyable. Also exploring the world on a vehicle was actually fun this time around.
You and me both. Everyone I met who played it loved it, so I wonder if the negative critical reception preceded it a bit?
Old 01-15-2019, 03:55 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Xenogears' story and dialogue is a mess but it does ask some interesting ethical questions and the game has atmosphere for days.
Id love a re-release with FF, but this game was wild. Babel being an ancient ship crashed nose first into the earth: awesome
Old 01-15-2019, 04:26 PM
Sega CD version is better

The core gameplay mechanics of Metroid: Other M were actually pretty solid, and Im kind of sad we will probably never see them reiterated upon in a sequel with better level design and writing.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:39 PM

In this house we stan Chrono Cross.

Squaresoft's experimental period pre-millenium was amazing, and more companies should follow their lead.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:41 PM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

7th Saga has one of the best combat systems in a 16 bit RPG.

SaGa Frontier is a classic and great but Bushido Blade is the best game Square put on the PS1 that isn't Vagrant Story.

Metroid Fusion is a pretty good game for what is it, which isn't Super Metriod Again. More Metroid games should try and not be Super Metriod Again, and the biggest stumbles it makes is where it leans in that direction (too many reused powerups, mostly).
Old 01-15-2019, 04:50 PM
Senhor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDohl View Post

Squaresoft's experimental period pre-millenium was amazing, and more companies should follow their lead.
My favorite video game, some days! How I found Parishs writing and eventually wound up on this forum.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:54 PM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Pronouns: ♂

Square put a lot of excellent stuff on PS1, now that I consider it. Aside from FF games, Brave Fencer Musashi, Threads of Fate, Legend of Mana, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Einhander, Bushido Blade games, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:59 PM
Not Constantinople

Quote:

I think the general consensus 20 years later has landed on Chrono Cross's biggest sin is in being a sequel to Chrono Trigger.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:01 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Including Square Enix themselves.

I miss the days when Square would release stuff unexpected from an RPG-focused company, like a shooter and cinematic brawler and three distinctly different flavors of 3D fighting game. And these were original properties too, not just Dragon Quest license bolted onto Minecraft* or Dragon Ball Z fights with Final Fantasy stars.

* Dragon Quest Builders is still very good and you should play it if you haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I think the general consensus 20 years later has landed on Chrono Cross's biggest sin is in being a sequel to Chrono Trigger.
I am still holding out hope that there will be a mobile remaster that spawns a rerelease of the game on modern consoles. Chrono Cross is a great RPG with wonderful aesthetics that was saddled with the misfortune of trying to live up to Chrono Trigger's legacy, being a direct sequel to it. Don't fret about it if you dislike it as a sequel, just tell yourself there's another alternate reality where Crono and friends are all okay, 'cuz Chrono Cross is all about alternate realities.

Sure would take another game like CC over the "Like Chrono Trigger but..." games we've received in recent years. I still feel it did a tropical setting way better than Final Fantasy X, and that game had the advantage of more powerful hardware.

Chrono Cross will always be Final Fantasy 8.5. to me.

Last edited by MetManMas; 01-15-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:13 PM

One of the joys of playing strategy RPGs is learning to strategize in wild and new battle systems. That's why Rondo Of Swords made me so happy - it didn't feel like anything that came before. It was like playing Fire Emblem for the first time!
Old 01-15-2019, 05:39 PM
..and his little cat, too

Urban.

Champion.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:47 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Unpopularity is difficult and contextually malleable to gauge so don't take me to task for considering some of these as such:

For Castlevania, I love Vampire Killer, Simon's Quest, Haunted Castle, The Adventure, the N64 duology, Harmony of Dissonance and the PS2 games.

For Akitoshi Kawazu, I adore nearly everything he's had a major creative role in.

For Square's PS1 games, I very much like the relatively contested late-era sequels to canonized classics like Chrono Trigger, Parasite Eve and the Mana series--probably more so than their predecessors. If something like Cross strikes one as being sufficiently reappraised and comfortably popular, part of my particular angle on it is that its nature as a sequel to Trigger is among its greatest strengths.

I have faith I would be into expansive series like Kingdom Hearts and Xenogears/Saga if I got around to playing them.

Dragon Quest II might be my favourite in the series, in its original form.

Persona, the first one, is my favourite Persona by a pretty large margin.

I'm in the process of (re)discovering and marinating in Suikoden as a whole, and I have a lot of love for the more divisive games like III and IV.

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT is one of my favourite fighting games.

People regularly elevate Square's eclectic PS1 offerings, but I think many of their PS2 action games like The Bouncer, Dawn of Mana, Dirge of Cerberus and Musashi: Samurai Legend are also interesting and compelling.

The Legend of Legacy is a masterpiece.

I guess R-Type Final can be framed as "unpopular", relatively. I've written about why I like it before.

Put me down as another person loving the heck out of Dragon Age II.

Is Neo Contra unpopular? Probably my favourite of the series.

Metroid II: Return of Samus is my favourite Metroid.

Yoshi's Story is a very good Yoshi.

Hybrid Heaven! Where are the other wrestle RPGs?

Lots of woman-led Famicom games--Layla, The Wing of Madoola, The Quest of Ki--are rad as hell.

Evil Zone is an amazing fighting game, along with some other PS1 ne'er-do-wells like Kensei: Sacred Fist and Zero Divide.

I love trashy PS1 action games--Nightmare Creatures, Deathtrap Dungeon, Shadow Man, Spawn: The Eternal... always environmentally engaging and beautiful.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:52 PM
120 Days

You forgot Akuji the Heartless!
Old 01-15-2019, 05:52 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarice View Post
One of the joys of playing strategy RPGs is learning to strategize in wild and new battle systems. That's why Rondo Of Swords made me so happy - it didn't feel like anything that came before. It was like playing Fire Emblem for the first time!
Oh man this is a good post. Rondo also does some extra-ordinary storytelling within the gameplay. Really unique stuff.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:13 PM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
Metroid II: Return of Samus is my favourite Metroid.
Oh, yeah! That's another good one when taken on its own terms and not Super Metroid Before.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:28 PM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

Home Alone on the NES was the first survival horror. It's super tense, you can't really defend yourself beyond dropping traps and hiding, and you have to last 20 real-time minutes. I wants it back in my life.

California Games and the other Epyx Games may be obtuse at first to sort out, but I love them. Shame Winter Games got the worst treatment in its NES port; California is fine.

Body Harvest is a flawed early open-world action title from DMA Design, and it went through development hell on the way to its final form. But the game's better than GTA3 and you can see a lot of influence lurking within.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:32 PM
:O

I actively hate most Kawazu games (to the point where even though I know it's dumb, I get annoyed when people post about how good they are) but I love Saga Frontier 2 and Crystal Bearers.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:49 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Quote:
Dissidia Final Fantasy NT is one of my favourite fighting games.
Gonna throw my hat in for Dissidia Final Fantasy NT, too. I wouldn't call it a favorite, and you have to work for it a bit, but it's a lot of fun! Bartz and Y'shtola for life.

Here's a blanket statement just to cover every Kawazu game I've ever played. It will also cover every Kawazu game I haven't played, as I play them.

For also, FF2 is covered by the above statement at least, but it bears repeating: Final Fantasy 2 and Final Fantasy 3 are good games that are fun. All the Final Fantasies are, but these two seem to get the most hate.

Resident Evil 5 is a brilliant evolution of Resident Evil 4's mechanics, if you set its problematic elements aside. And Resident Evil 6 is a brilliant evolution of Resident Evil 5's mechanics!
Old 01-15-2019, 07:04 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

I like Star Tropics 2 just as much as I like Star Tropic 1.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:11 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
For Square's PS1 games, I very much like the relatively contested late-era sequels to canonized classics like Chrono Trigger, Parasite Eve and the Mana series--probably more so than their predecessors.
I'm not ashamed to admit that Legend of Mana is my favorite Seiken Densetsu game. Part of me still really wants Square Enix to commission VanillaWare to remake the game with that beautiful hi-def 2D they do, but honestly I would be fine with just having the original game playable on modern platforms at all. It's got wonderful aesthetics and a colorful cast and it's a joy to experience.

Quote:
People regularly elevate Square's eclectic PS1 offerings, but I think many of their PS2 action games like The Bouncer, Dawn of Mana, Dirge of Cerberus and Musashi: Samurai Legend are also interesting and compelling.
Can't say I ever had as much love for Square's PS2 output as I did its PSone, but I've always wanted to check out Dawn and the Musashi sequel. And The Bouncer was definitely the cinematic brawler I was referring to; I know it was a flop but I still think it deserves better than to be left behind with the PS2 generation.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:46 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

The world seems to have forgotten about it but Fez is still a masterpiece.
Quote:

Chrono Cross has really interesting game design and I'd rather see a sequel following in its example than Chrono Trigger's.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:58 PM
Inherently Stealthy

The Assassin's Creed games would be unbearably tedious without the modern day framing story, which is actually pretty good in part because it's so ridiculous.

Tags
all games are good , good vibrations , yes even that one