The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-29-2018, 08:48 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him
Default Devil May Cry 5

I'm glad they're making a 5 because I did not like DmC. I know a pretty sizable number of people here did enjoy DmC and honestly I would be fine if they took the good things from it and incorporated them into the Real Series. Anyway it looks like it's mostly gonna be Nero again but there's 3 playable characters. I don't dislike playing as Nero anymore after my most recent foray into the HD remaster of DMC4, but boy did I hate not playing as Dante when it came out!

Here's a Gamescom trailer, comes out March 9th.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:34 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

So in. Looks like they've adopted a lot of the QoL improvements that made DmC great. Also, aesthetically resembles DmC too. Nero looks a LOT like DmC Dante
Old 08-29-2018, 09:40 AM
Play ZeroRanger, Coward

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
So in. Looks like they've adopted a lot of the QoL improvements that made DmC great. Also, aesthetically resembles DmC too. Nero looks a LOT like DmC Dante
I was just about to post this myself.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Honeslty I don't know what people are talking about when they bring up improvements DmC made and you're not the first person I've seen mention it in relation to 5 either. It's probably been too long since I played DmC and I already didn't give it much of a chance gameplay wise, so I'm curious to know what you're actually referring to here. But yes when I watched that trailer I definitely thought Nero looked a lot like skinny-punk Dante.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:10 AM

Having just played DmC and DMC4 back to back -

DmC's combos just feel better when it comes to swapping out weapons and comboing as dante vs. DMC4 Dante: you're locked to certain weapons but imo the hold down a trigger as a modifier to your current attacks just feels intuitive, a lot more than going through the d-pad to swap styles in order to change what the contextual circle/b button does. DmC dante also gets his own devil bringer as well, making positioning as him a lot easier as he can either pull the enemy toward him or pull himself toward the enemy. There's also some UI things that are going to be carried forward like the killcams and a more transparent bar for the ranking system.

The vanilla release has color coded enemies, runs at 30 fps and has no lock on which upset a lot of people, I still found it enjoyable. Definitive edition fixes all those things so its that much more enjoyable. Boss fights still mostly stink compared to 4 that let you do cool things like devil bring enemies and have fights where you zip around instead of just fighting monster torsos.

Nero in DMC4 still felt better to play for me overall as the EX system was just extremely satisfying. To the point where playing as Dante felt like getting the hose. Although Dante could rip through bosses a lot faster than Nero....

And yeah, I'm very happy that this game seems to be a compromise between the old games and DmC, you can talk about the gameplay and tones all you want but I dare anyone to actually enjoy any cutscenes involving Nero or his girlfriend in DMC4. At least Dante has stupid goofball shit in his half.

EDIT - oh and best of all DmC doesn't have any fuckin' floating cloak baddies.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:35 PM

I like that they turned Nero into Donte and Dante into Punished Dante.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
Honeslty I don't know what people are talking about when they bring up improvements DmC made and you're not the first person I've seen mention it in relation to 5 either. It's probably been too long since I played DmC and I already didn't give it much of a chance gameplay wise, so I'm curious to know what you're actually referring to here. But yes when I watched that trailer I definitely thought Nero looked a lot like skinny-punk Dante.
As someone who's played the games a ton, DmC (at least Definiteve Edition, haven't played vanilla) has much better movement and controls than any DMC game and maybe a superior UI. DMC is very clunky compared to other character action games (Bayonetta, GoW, Ninja Gaiden). Plus it doesn't wall off all your moves behind EXP gates. The new weapon switch stuff is much more welcoming to beginners while still allowing a lot of variety for people who like these games. Much higher QoL than the old games which can feel janky these days. It also has a better artstyle than most of the games except the first one, which matters way more in this genre than people like to pretend it does. I'm not a big fan of DmC either but it certainly made some improvements. Hopefully this combines the QoL of modern gaming with the satisfying mechanics of the older games.

I'm thinking it'll most likely be the best DMC game. I don't see any way they can screw this up with Itsuno plus that art team at the helm, but you never know these days.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:54 AM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJ View Post
Plus it doesn't wall off all your moves behind EXP gates.
This is the absolute worst thing about character action games, just give me my moves from the beginning so I can start practicing
Old 09-20-2018, 01:49 PM

TGS Trailer with new character

Also this:
Quote:
Capcom have also updated the store pages for the game with mention of online co-op for two or three players.
ONLINE. CO-OP. WHAT
Old 09-20-2018, 06:16 PM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

Hey Lady's back in a costume more like her DMC3 one. That's a plus. This game also looks stupid fun.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:24 PM

Interesting thing, now that the new videos are up if you heard Dante's theme song, Capcom is gonna be (content warning, sexual manipulation of a minor) trying very hard to get a new one for him for the final game (they've already taken down all the official videos that use it to promote the game). Which is all well and good, it's nice to see devs/producers actively try and remove and replace things that come from that sort of thing. Less importantly the song they ended up with was apparently composed for DmC Dante on accident and it doesn't work very well for the tone in these trailers or the other music that's been shown off at all.

Also an important note, the Digital Deluxe edition is gonna come with like four tracks from all the previous games to switch up the battle music (presumably that builds up with your style ranking?).
Old 09-20-2018, 11:49 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

I love how the character models look and emote in this game. Trish in particular I feel like has always been done a disservice by like every prior appearance she's ever had in those terms, and here a single promotional screenshot is packed with more character than all those appearances put together. Wish Lady had actual pants, though.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:53 PM

The new music is awful lol, like all the worst parts of the older music and the DmC music. Other than that, this looks amazing. Co-op will be a game changer for the entire genre.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
I love how the character models look and emote in this game.
Couldn't agree more. More than even just compared to previous games, their expression seems to really be a step above almost everything else I've played. I can't really think of anything off the top of my head that does it better than what's shown in the trailer.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:41 PM

New Dante footage is out.

It really does feel like they're taking all the best parts of all the games and running with them. The new animations look incredible, and, while it's a bit weird, "DMC w/ AAA graphics" looks very pretty. Looks like this will be the best DMC by a considerable margin.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:46 PM

This game comes out next week! I have it preordered at Gamestop and took the day off work lol
Old 03-08-2019, 02:06 AM
Love is OGR

It's out. I love air-taunting.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:32 AM
hang high, soft star

I wish this wasn't coming out two weeks before Sekiro, I can't do two full price full content experience games I'm going to sink a ton of time in to back to back like that!
Old 03-08-2019, 11:54 AM

I beat the first boss. I have a theory about how they're gonna do 3 divergent character narratives and I hope it turns out to be true.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:54 PM
hourglass figure

I am unreasonably invested in the fates of bit characters from games I have not played or plan to ever play. Could someone tell me what exactly happens to Kyrie (Nero's girlfriend from 4)? She seems conspicuously absent from all the promotional material. Did they break up? Did she die? Did the writers forget she existed?

...All of the above?
Old 03-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Born in the USA

According to the DMC wiki, there's a prequel novel that shows she's still around and she is just staying behind while he goes to deal with the bad shit that's happening
Old 03-08-2019, 01:50 PM
Play ZeroRanger, Coward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
According to the DMC wiki, there's a prequel novel that shows she's still around and she is just staying behind while he goes to deal with the bad shit that's happening
fair
she's pretty much just vanilla-flavor human, right?
Old 03-08-2019, 03:23 PM

They are just frontloading bosses this time around. V is a pretty insane character to have in an action game like this. I had no idea he was gonna be a pet character from an Arc Sys fighting game. I still can't wait for Dante time.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
fair
she's pretty much just vanilla-flavor human, right?
Yep. She wasn't shown in any of the promo material, but Nero was clearly yelling to her in one of the early trailers. So she's around, just doesn't seem to be involved afaik. That's probably for the best considering what happened to her in 4.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:35 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1104146615529586688
Old 03-09-2019, 09:24 AM
Love is OGR

Finished the first run. The best parts of this game made me wear a grin of sheer delight, really keying in on that inner fifteen-year-old, but as ever, it was tempered by how absolutely rancid DMC5 is about women. None get to do anything of import or even momentary spotlight focus as occasionally in the series's past--Trish and Lady and Nico and Kyrie and Eva and Patty are all either sidelined by the narrative entirely despite occupying an ostensible starring role; exist purely as dead and absent ghosts to make the boys sad; or are immaterial voices combining the worst of the two. It's not enough that Dante off-handedly remarks that his colleagues are "two of the most badass women alive" when all the game is interested in doing is having them kidnapped and mitigated as people, followed by leering shots of them stark naked upon rescure, covered in fetish goo. Lady and Trish go on to hang around having nothing to do, only being allowed to perform emotional labour listening to the men's woes and trauma while getting absolutely nothing back in return, and the game's attitude only wavers between "bitches, right?" and forgetting they're even present the rest of the time. Nico gets to muse in character bios that she wished the women got to save the day for once, and if that scans as self-aware then it's all the more damning because the creators know what they're doing and still choose to revel in it all the same. For all of that, Devil May Cry's streak of misogyny continues, again expressed in ways where the particulars are fresh to the newest installment even if the spirit remains the same--you can't fault them for being creatively stagnant, at least.

Nico and Lady are turbo gay though, and I want them to get Trish in on something that plays and feels and moves like Devil May Cry 5, free of all this baggage or at least reframing it compellingly. Drive that van into a better game. The worst is that I do think Devil May Cry 5 has a story, a narrative, characters and maybe even a message worth caring about--it just exists completely separate from half of its effective cast, and cannot reconcile itself to any degree. It's an incredibly good game that I loathe to the core.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:08 AM

I wish I didn't have to pick between this and Sekiro.

Either, a sequel to a beloved series that actually looks good

or

The best looking game ever made.

RIP Devil May Cry 5. The party will get crazy soon enough (As in, once I'm employed).
Old 03-09-2019, 10:24 AM
100% All Original

I like a good Devil May Cry but I forgot how much I fucking loathe games that rate your performance.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:54 PM

I somehow am doing very well as V despite how awkward he seems to play, but it still doesn't feel like I'm playing him well. Summoning the Nightmare just shoots up your style points since the thing is invincible.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:22 PM
Love is OGR

V tips (maybe): never attack manually if you can help it; instead continually refresh Shadow and Griffon's DT so they handle the scuffles while V hangs back reciting motivational poetry. Most fun, most in-character, and most efficient all in one.

Surprising no one who's played the series before, this is very fun the second time through with the difficulty bumped up. I'm enjoying DMC5 a lot as an orb-finder game, and it's something that's back in full force and probably better than ever after 4's experiment with Proud Souls.

Tags
devil may cry , fill ur dark soul w/light