The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-06-2018, 12:03 AM
The Great

I kind of liked it?

Offering x2 + Malaise is a good time. I kept hoping for some Shiv cards to go with Feel No Pain and Shuriken, but they never showed up. Nothing really came close to killing me regardless though.

The score's naturally going to be a lot lower than a bunch of the other Dailies, because there isn't a modifier that gives a million cards over the run to bloat the score. I would have hit 800 if I didn't walk away for a couple of minutes.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:05 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

who needs cards

EDIT: the fun part was i hit a camp once with all of my cards upgraded, so i had to rest and lose max hp; ended with 65
Old 04-06-2018, 06:50 AM
Apply Bertolli, cast FIRE

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post
I would have hit 800 if I didn't walk away for a couple of minutes.
Wait, wait, wait.

Does this game evaluate you based on your fucking playtime? And does that evaluation feed into anything else mechanically? Whether this game continues to live on top of my wishlist or disappears from it entirely hinges on the answer to this question.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:47 AM
Bob

You get a score at the end of the round, which gives you some bonuses (but not much iirc) if you finish more quickly. Your score only matters to those who care about scores, although your score is what feeds into an experience bar that eventually unlocks new content. I don't believe that time really plays a huge role on score.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:22 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
You get a score at the end of the round, which gives you some bonuses (but not much iirc) if you finish more quickly. Your score only matters to those who care about scores, although your score is what feeds into an experience bar that eventually unlocks new content. I don't believe that time really plays a huge role on score.
You can get like 100 more points if you win real fast. This might be a big deal if you're big into the daily leaderboards, but you will get all the point-based unlocks from a few runs with each character.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:36 AM
earthquake ace

In short: going fast is for e-peen measuring and basically nothing else.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:31 PM
The Great

Yeah, I could have also gotten one more relic or picked up more duplicate cards or tried harder to perfect another boss or elite for an equal or greater score bonus than finishing under an hour.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:07 PM
Lichotaur

Spent most of the day playing this and was able to win my fourth game, the third as Ironclad. The final boss was The Shapes. I had 8 HP left at the end.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:44 PM
earthquake ace

Today's Daily looks fun:

Silent
+Draft: start with a drafted deck
+Time Dilation: All enemies have Slow, which makes them take 10% more damage for each card you've played that round
-Lethality: You and all enemies start with 3 Strength.

time to stab everything fifty times

EDIT:

i stabbed everything fifty times

first boss was the hex flame boss, which was a bit tricky
second boss was champ, which i took no damage against
final boss was awakened one; i killed its first form on turn 1

i was kind of hoping for unceasing top so i could get rid of the 1-energy cards i did have and go infinite, but it was never necessary; between the various shiv-producing cards, slices, and redraws to help control my hand, i was getting 10 attacks on the first turn, powering both the ornamental fan (4 block per 3 attacks per round) and shuriken (1 strength per 3 attacks per round), so finisher was hitting for "nothing could ever survive" damage (if everything went right, that would be 63x9 on the first turn, though the only time i could manage it was on awakened one who died before finisher was used)

Last edited by aturtledoesbite; 04-06-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:25 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

My run ended up looking a lot like turtle's, except my deck was a little bigger (I had a few curses and, unfortunately, Madnesses) at the end and I had more relics. I like this "draft" thing.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:40 AM
Yes, let's feast!

I also stabbed everything fifty times. Although everything died very quickly, I had no defense, so I didn't manage any perfect clears, and I ended with a score of 861. This was my fastest win by far, clocking in at 39:37.

Cloak and Dagger is my platonic ideal of a card. Blade Dance was better in the context of this daily, but under normal circumstances, Cloak and Dagger is everything you want from a card.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:41 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Today: The Silent with Insanity (start with 50 random cards), Big Game Hunter (more elites, better rewards), and Vintage (normal enemies drop relics instead of cards). Vintage is always easier than normal, and Insanity usually means an easy start.

In this case, though, the deck has a lot of garbage and very little defense. This is easy enough to shore up: my approach was to make After Image innate. I finished at 1:00:05 with 1200 points, putting me at 85th at the moment. Great score. Shame about those five seconds. I was also one damage off of perfect against the last boss.

I'm surprised by my ranking. I'm not exactly a top-tier daily player, so I have to imagine many players died on this daily. There were certainly opportunities for that.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:47 PM
Lichotaur

Today's daily with The Silent was a relic-palooza:

Insanity: 50 card deck
Big Game Hunter: more elites with better rewards
Vintage: regular enemies drop relics instead of cards

I did well with this one. I don't think I took damage against the final boss and it had to compress the relic spread at the top to fit it all. The shovel showed up early and I chose to dig at every rest site.

Edit: scoring chart
Old 04-09-2018, 07:15 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Today's daily: Silent with Shiny (start with a deck of every rare), Cursed Run (curse stuff), and Terminal (lose max HP for each room).

First off, Shiny is pretty bad. Rare cards are powerful but situational, and a deck full of 'em means you have very little defense as the Silent. Shiny is marked as a positive modifier, but I almost think it's worse than the starting deck.

Terminal is usually half-decent, since the Plated Armor it provides tends to be sufficient to keep you healthy. In this run, it was not so nice. Cursed Run does give you a good amount of max HP if you pick up curses, but I still ended at 60 HP.

Ultimately, I died against Time Eater, although it was close. I closed with 700 points, landing me in 17,057th place. That's more like it~
Old 04-09-2018, 07:36 AM

I kind of steamrolled the daily last night, to the point where I was regularly ending turns with 40+ Block and beat the Time Eater with a bunch of 20-point shivs. I don't think I even got a curse until Act 3, and by that point I was trying to go out of my way for them.

I didn't bother screenshotting my results last night because I assumed the setup was so easy everyone would beat it.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Hah! I guess I screwed up somewhere along the line. Where was all that Block coming from, though?
Old 04-09-2018, 08:20 AM

I got a lot of it one point at a time via... Fancy Footwork? The power that adds 1 Block for every skill you play. Upgrade it and it becomes innate, making it my first play in every fight for the back half of the game. Then use Adrenaline, Preparedness, etc. to cycle through your deck as much as possible. Take all the cheap block skills you can get. Add in Wraith Form and Thousand Cuts (and a Letter Opener if you're lucky) and now building up your block is also a major source of damage.

I also probably used more potions in this run than all my other games combined. Nightmare to Alchemize is a hell of a drug source, especially if you lead into the combo with the "play your next skill twice" card (Burst?). I also did that with Die Die Die once; the turn after that was crazy.

Nightmare isn't easy to use but in general is pretty good for taking that one card you always want but never draw and adding three more copies to your deck.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:35 AM
earthquake ace

My result was similar to Lucas, but my block came from Tough Bandage (relic, gain 3 block on discard) and Storm of Steel/Unload.

I decided to be silly and never add/remove cards except where forced (which, other than curses, was just once, where I dropped Grand Finale after 0 successful uses).

And Lucas hit the Nightmare Alchemize combo I found, but also: Burst -> Nightmare: Adrenaline+ x2

At one point I tore through like 300 of Time Eater's HP in one turn, and might have killed it right there if not for its passive.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:54 AM

Oh yeah, pretty sure I had Tough Bandage too.

I dropped Doppelganger because even with as much mana generation as I was getting it still rarely got used. Grand Finale I managed to pull off once, which was totally worth carrying its dead weight the entire run (it was not worth it).
Old 04-09-2018, 04:37 PM

Here's last night's run:

After Image+ was the innate "1 block per card" power. Pretty useful. Distraction and Prepared were a huge help too. MOAR SKILLZZZ
Old 04-09-2018, 04:52 PM
earthquake ace

And here was mine:

EDIT: One combo I didn't mention was Burst -> Storm of Steel, which lets you first discard your hand and replace them with Shivs, then discard all the Shivs to make more Shivs. Tough Bandage loved that one, which was usually an easy ~30 Block, plus Shiv damage.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:20 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Today: Silent with Diverse (Ironclad cards available), Midas (200% gold, no upgrading cards), and Big Game Hunter (more elites, better drops).

Sadly, I got greedy with the elites and died with a pitiful 54 points. Lagavulin really did a number on me
Old 04-09-2018, 07:47 PM
earthquake ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Today: Silent with Diverse (Ironclad cards available), Midas (200% gold, no upgrading cards), and Big Game Hunter (more elites, better drops).

Sadly, I got greedy with the elites and died with a pitiful 54 points. Lagavulin really did a number on me
i had 34 points, but otherwise same
Old 04-09-2018, 09:10 PM
Lichotaur

My 4/9 daily just for comparison:

Just to say I did it. It took me about 20 minutes to do it since I didn't have a lot of sources of block.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:02 PM
Lichotaur

4/10 daily: I was able to get past Lagavulin, but then died to an exact hit by Gremlin Nob. I might have made it past him if I didn't take the "upgrade 2 cards for 14 HP" at the event preceding him. 66 points
Old 04-10-2018, 05:37 AM
Yes, let's feast!

That is exactly what happened to me, except you squeezed more points out of it somehow.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:23 PM
Lichotaur

Quote:
That is exactly what happened to me, except you squeezed more points out of it somehow.
I'm guessing the path I went had 2 extra floors before Nob (battled on Floor 10).
Old 04-10-2018, 06:55 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Today: Ironclad with Draft, Time Dilation, and Certain Future. OKAY.

I won in under 45 minutes with a flawless battle against the last boss (Donu and Deca), but that was still only worth 805 points. The top score is over 1400. The secrets of StS score attacking still elude me, but it was a fun run.

I went for a no-Block deck this time, partly out of necessity. The draft gives you a few options for Block, but it gives you a lot more options for "everything dies now." The finished deck focused around using Rupture to gain Strength when I hurt myself (which was frequently).

PSA: Clash is still not a very good card.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:45 PM
The Great

I mean part of it is that, like many leaderboards, it is very easy to just cheat to the top. Score isn't really a secret.

There are some measures in place to try and stop cheating, but it seems like they only catch things that are just obviously impossible (0 second run times, more cards in deck than you could possibly get in one run, etc). 1400 is probably pretty close to the theoretical maximum score for a non-Ascension run. And even if people aren't just directly modifying things within plausible values for the top scores, you can game the system pretty easily thanks to the fixed seeds. Just work out the best route on another account before doing it on the main one.

So don't worry about the score too much.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:54 AM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:

PSA: Clash is still not a very good card.
Wrong. Clash is very good, if you've got the build for it.

Tags
spireverse , touhou: all-consuming