The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-06-2019, 11:07 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
So that patch ya'll have been waiting for apparently goes live today:

Checkpoint system:
  • While playing in campaign mode, you can set a checkpoint in a mission
  • If you are defeated, you can retry from the checkpoint
  • You can set a checkpoint whenever you want, but you can only have one active at a time (the previous gets overwritten)
Difficulty system overhaul:
  • Five difficulty presets, Story, Easy, Medium, Hard (Default) and Custom
  • Hard difficulty is the default, and is the standard rules of the game. It’s the only mode where you can obtain S-ranks
  • Medium difficulty is a bit easier and still lets you obtain up to 3 stars
  • Easy limits you at 2 stars
  • Story limits you at 1 star, and is VERY easy
General Quality of Life
  • The effectiveness chart on unit info and recruit screens has been reworked to be far more readable and informative
  • Skipping battles, captures and cutscenes is now much faster
  • Display the S rank requirements on the overview screen for a mission
  • “Exit” has been renamed to “Suspend” to avoid confusion
  • You can now see teams on the Overview screen
  • Fix international text input on Switch
  • Display the Controller Select Applet on Switch less often
  • Add Korean font
  • Resigning will now destroy all units simultaneously instead of one at a time
New options:
  • Add “Movement Speed” option that allow you to set all units to move faster
  • Add “Confirm End Turn” option to avoid accidental end of turn
  • Add “Damage Range” option to display minimum and maximum damage on previews, instead of average damage
I've started playing this, and wow, those are all great updates! I just got through the swamp area.

I have similar comments to most people: I really miss being able to join units, but I like pretty much everything else (though I did like bombers 'n' tanks more than sword and sorcery). The game is definitely pretty tough, but I appreciate that; it expects more out of me. In one recent mission, where Mercia has to get to the other end of the map ahead of the vampire lady, I got absolutely wrecked my first time, but then realized which things I had to prioritize and which I didn't, and got through easily the next time.

Hopefully I'll remember to keep posting about the experience in here.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

I was literally asking myself just today when posting in this thread earlier "I wonder if Gerad ever ended up picking this up after our previous conversation?"

Glad to hear that you're enjoying it!
Old 03-12-2019, 08:42 AM
Holy Swine

I am!

Some of the small changes make it feel very different to me than Advance Wars, most notably how it seems the best strategy in most missions is to completely sell out for either luring out the enemy commander and crushing them, or beelining to the HQ. Without the need to actually get an infantry to the HQ and capture it, suicide missions deep into enemy territory are much more successful, and there's a lot less parking your units on factories while you kill off the five mechs the enemy spawns every turn.

I'm doing OK on the puzzles, though I'm not letting myself try ones where I haven't met the unit types in campaign yet. There's one I can't figure out, though:

I don't want to be directly told how to do it, but please tell me which of these statements is wrong:

1. Emeric's power is useless given the nature of puzzle mode, so the only thing he can do of value is kill the sword guy directly north.
2. After that, the only thing worthwhile the ballista can do is kill the swordman above the knight.
3. You need either two critical knight attacks and another attack to down Treebeard or whatever his name is, or four total attacks.
4. Most units can attack Treebeard from below or the right, but only the two knights can attack from above or left, and then only if you kill the spearman or archer standing in the way. That's also the only way knights can get criticals.
5. You have to use two attacks to clear the way for either knight. So if archer and mage kill the east spearman, only east knight, west mage, and dog can attack; if west mage and dog kill the archer, only west knight, east knight (non-critical), and east mage can attack.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2019, 09:19 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

The first clause of #1 is definitely wrong. That tripped me up at first too when trying this puzzle, because I had also forgotten the same thing that you evidently have. When you're first introduced to his power in the campaign mode, the game mentions something to you about the nature of it that's not immediately relevant.

ETA: If that's not enough of a prompt, just go read the codex entry on his "Groove Strategy" so that you can slap your forehead.

Last edited by JBear; 03-12-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Holy Swine

Ah, I see. Thanks! That was one of the points I was surest about. Still a little bit of legwork to look forward to to solve it, I think.

But soon I won't be able to do any more puzzles until I understand ships.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:51 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
But soon I won't be able to do any more puzzles until I understand ships.
I can help with that!

B-tier
  • Valder x Sigrid
  • Mercia x Ryota

A-tier
  • Emeric x Tenri
  • Koji x Cesar

S-tier
  • Sedge x Sedge
  • Mercia x Ragna
Old 03-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Holy Swine

There are tiers? Whoa!

I've done like 7-8 puzzles only so far.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:08 PM
Sudden chomper

I've been playing this too, if slowly - I finished the first fight of Chapter 4 last night after a few weeks of pecking away at the campaign. Like a lot of other (AW-loving) folks, I was really put off by how slow and clunky the game was at first. I eventually accepted that I would just have to hold down B most of the time and it's been going a little better since then, but it still feels bogged down and over-animated at times. I wasn't able to download the patch, since I was in a country that doesn't really do wifi, but I'll apply it tonight. Looking forward to that speed boost, and the checkpoint system might save me from throwing my Switch through a wall next time I accidentally overextend my CO and get them killed. Maybe.

Despite my initial gripes, I'm digging the campaign more as it goes on. Initial missions were a little straightforward (despite being kind of tough), but the campaign design got a lot more interesting in Chapter 3 and I enjoyed some of the more original mission objectives. For as great as Advance Wars is, 90% of its brilliance comes from the scenarios they come up with, so I'm glad Chucklfish didn't just replicate the mechanics and call it a day. I like the changes they've made, too, like the presence of the CO on the field and the way towns and barracks work. It's cool that you can combine forces to take over a building in a single turn, something you generally couldn't do in AW, and that reinforcing units is quick but also somewhat risky if there are enemies around to capture your weakened bases.

I will say that, while the sprite work is tremendous, I'm not really feeling the charm of the game. They clearly put a lot of effort into stuff like the character design, but I'm not enjoying the story and most of the dialogue I just find tiresome. The soundtrack is fine, but the voice clips from the COs wore out their welcome almost immediately. The one sound effect I really like is the battle cries that your grunts make when they charge into battle, but for the most part I'm playing the game with the sound off. That's fine, though, it's also how I typically play AW.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post

Despite my initial gripes, I'm digging the campaign more as it goes on. Initial missions were a little straightforward (despite being kind of tough), but the campaign design got a lot more interesting in Chapter 3 and I enjoyed some of the more original mission objectives. For as great as Advance Wars is, 90% of its brilliance comes from the scenarios they come up with, so I'm glad Chucklfish didn't just replicate the mechanics and call it a day. I like the changes they've made, too, like the presence of the CO on the field and the way towns and barracks work. It's cool that you can combine forces to take over a building in a single turn, something you generally couldn't do in AW, and that reinforcing units is quick but also somewhat risky if there are enemies around to capture your weakened bases.

I will say that, while the sprite work is tremendous, I'm not really feeling the charm of the game. They clearly put a lot of effort into stuff like the character design, but I'm not enjoying the story and most of the dialogue I just find tiresome. The soundtrack is fine, but the voice clips from the COs wore out their welcome almost immediately. The one sound effect I really like is the battle cries that your grunts make when they charge into battle, but for the most part I'm playing the game with the sound off. That's fine, though, it's also how I typically play AW.
This mostly reflects my feelings on the game too- the nuts and bolts are quite great, and they made some smart changes from AW, though the aesthetics aren't really anything to write home about. I've mostly just been listening to my own music while playing the game since none of the sounds have held my interest.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Outraged!

I made it about two battles before I turned off all the animations. Nobody says a word, now!
Old 03-12-2019, 06:58 PM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
I made it about two battles before I turned off all the animations. Nobody says a word, now!
Turn them back on at least once to watch Koji capture a building. Thank me later.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:05 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Turn them back on at least once to watch Koji capture a building. Thank me later.
I haven't completely turned off the animations just for things like that. I skip them 3/4 of the time, but when I see a new unit type I always like to watch how the animation plays out. They are lovingly crafted, for sure, and it gives me a better feel for which units are strong against which. Though hopefully the new weakness charts will be easier to read than the ones I've been dealing with until now.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:50 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
I haven't completely turned off the animations just for things like that. I skip them 3/4 of the time, but when I see a new unit type I always like to watch how the animation plays out. They are lovingly crafted, for sure, and it gives me a better feel for which units are strong against which. Though hopefully the new weakness charts will be easier to read than the ones I've been dealing with until now.
The new charts are definitely better, though they're not 100% obvious.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:10 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Personally I kind of kept shifting back and forth on animations. I'd shut them off one battle and then turn them back on the next. If that 2-second wait to skip an animation was half as long (which I think is the case in this new patch) I'd have likely never shut them off at all.

ETA: Honestly, I love that these new weakness charts are there for folks who want them, but if I wasn't able to remember in my head what is strong or weak against what and had to keep consulting a chart then I think I'd find the game to be nigh unplayable. I certainly wouldn't be able to play it well, at least. I feel like I need to always be aware of that stuff holistically in order to properly plan/strategize.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:49 AM
Boom

I haven't seen what the new chart looks like, but I think the issue was the ambiguity of the old display made it more difficult to learn the matchups in the first place. The old icons for the Cherrystone knights and dogs could be difficult to distinguish, for example. I imagine most people who play will learn and memorize them over time anyway, but that's not a good excuse for mediocre UI design.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:03 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Personally I kind of kept shifting back and forth on animations. I'd shut them off one battle and then turn them back on the next. If that 2-second wait to skip an animation was half as long (which I think is the case in this new patch) I'd have likely never shut them off at all.

ETA: Honestly, I love that these new weakness charts are there for folks who want them, but if I wasn't able to remember in my head what is strong or weak against what and had to keep consulting a chart then I think I'd find the game to be nigh unplayable. I certainly wouldn't be able to play it well, at least. I feel like I need to always be aware of that stuff holistically in order to properly plan/strategize.
I agree you have to develop an intrinsic understanding of what beats what, just like Advance Wars. It's borderline unplayable when you're having to remind yourself of what mages are good for all the time.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:21 AM
Sudden chomper

Oh sure, you need to know the fundamentals, but some of the matchups are a little less obvious - I always forget what the dogs are good/bad at fighting, for example. And the old version of the chart is not only too small to be legible, but the units change skins depending on whose unit you're examining and that makes it even harder to figure out what tiny icon refers to what unit type.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:26 AM
jiggery-pokery

I finished this a few weeks ago and I liked it a lot, but the big thing that it did was make me break out the old DS and my copies of Advance Wars.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:35 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Oh sure, you need to know the fundamentals, but some of the matchups are a little less obvious - I always forget what the dogs are good/bad at fighting, for example. And the old version of the chart is not only too small to be legible, but the units change skins depending on whose unit you're examining and that makes it even harder to figure out what tiny icon refers to what unit type.
That is true -- I think I compensate by never building dogs. Just saying you really have to build up your own picture of what everything does to everything else, as even with a giant clear chart it's obnoxious to keep referring back to it.

Their initial chart was definitely terrible!
Old 03-13-2019, 01:11 PM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
I think I compensate by never building dogs.
Ha, same, actually. Possibly one of my least-used units. I'd just as soon use Mages if I want the movement range, or spearman/infantry if want cheap spam units.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:18 PM
Holy Swine

Unless I'm saving up for something in particular, I build a sword guy at every barracks every turn. They're just crazy worth the money.

Dogs are twice as much and can't capture -- not worth it for a little more movement for me.

I also rarely build ballistas. Trebuchets are way better against ground stuff and hardly any more money, and against air I'd prefer a witch for the same money.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Ha, same, actually. Possibly one of my least-used units. I'd just as soon use Mages if I want the movement range, or spearman/infantry if want cheap spam units.
Also, if you use Dogs, then you will be sending dogs into battle against people looking to fight dogs!
Old 03-13-2019, 03:08 PM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

I've only gotten to the map they're introduced on, but aren't Dogs just the recon equivalent? So you'd use 'em for Fog of War maps and that's kinda it?
Old 03-13-2019, 06:52 PM
Holy Swine

Kind of, but A) I'm on chapter 6 and that's the only fog of war map so far, and B) they don't actually see any farther, they just see through forests. Which is nice, but see A.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:10 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

I've finished Act 4 and I haven't seen a Fog of War map for quite a while, so the dogs haven't been especially useful for their vision.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:30 AM
Sudden chomper

TIL that a dragon can take 90% of a CO’s health off with a single attack.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:45 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

I... don't think that's true? I've done the Dragon-rush on enemy COs before, and I remember it being more like 40-60%, and I think that's with the crit for them standing on a road. (Don't stand on a road if there are enemy dragons around.) I guess I could be remembering wrong, though.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:44 AM
Holy Swine

35% without the crit, 70% with it.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:03 PM
Sudden chomper

I don't care what your table says, Meridia was at full health and it took her down to like 10%.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:41 PM
EARTH FOREVER

You get a negative defense modifier for standing on a road so that might've been enough to bring it closer to 90%

Tags
a very good boy , advance the dogs of war , advance wars , strategy games , wargroove