The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-04-2019, 03:13 PM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

Everywhere, basically

Quote:
We love feedback and we’re constantly checking Reddit, Discord, the Community Forums, Twitter etc. So keep it coming.

We’d like to know how you feel about the difficulty of the game, and should you be able to earn 3 stars at lower difficulty settings?

Let us know what you think!
Old 02-05-2019, 05:36 AM
Apply Bertolli, cast FIRE

Pronouns: He/Him

I'm think I'm near the end of Act 3 (just communed with the dead king), and one thing that has surprised me is that I've not had a battle with multiple COs. Is that ever going to be a thing? I figured that was half the point in having Groove abilities be tied to units, and I clearly have an adventuring party, but it's still just one CO per battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
Also, I really just wanna play as Blue Moon Felheim instead of the generic boring good guy army. Sigrid and Ragna so good.
Ragna's Groove ability is ridiculously good and so satisfying to use. I live in fear of the first time it will be used against me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
ALso, kind of wish that you could speed up movement speed.
You've mentioned this a couple of times, and it seems really weird to me, because I feel like everyone already moves pretty quickly. Especially during enemy turns when you can speed up everything by just holding B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Caesar doesn’t count as a dog when triggering the Battlepup critical hit.
It never would have occurred to me that it would. He doesn't actually fight, after all.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:55 AM

Speaking of QoL improvements, though, what I would like to see is a visible indicator of letter grade turn thresholds. This would serve both to make it clear that turn-count is all that matters and let me know how hard I should be pushing, so I stop pushing hard when I've already got my S-rank on lock or ease up thinking I'm ahead when I'm actually behind. I should go suggest that to them in one of those suggested channels, I guess.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:36 AM
Objection!

They have said that's in the list for the patch after the one that's currently working through cert.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:08 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
You've mentioned this a couple of times, and it seems really weird to me, because I feel like everyone already moves pretty quickly. Especially during enemy turns when you can speed up everything by just holding B.
!

!!!
Old 02-05-2019, 02:34 PM
The Hyblid Framer

Does anyone else kinda wish that the commanders had some differences beyond their Groove? Everyone is basically Andy in this.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:28 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

I think this is relevant to people reading this thread:
Players Are Making Advance Wars And Fire Emblem Maps Inside Wargroove
Old 02-05-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Does anyone else kinda wish that the commanders had some differences beyond their Groove? Everyone is basically Andy in this.
I'm genuinely uncertain what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?
Old 02-05-2019, 07:22 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

In AW, generals got bonuses to certain unit types (e.g. Eagle has better air units), and some of them have different economies (e.g. Colm(?) builds everything at half cost).

I haven't played Wargroove, but I imagine that's the complaint -- no differentiation beyond their special powers.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:27 PM

Ah, right, I forgot about that stuff. I guess I don't miss it!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:40 PM

My copy of this got patched today on Steam. I wonder if this included any of the aforementioned QoL changes?
Old 02-06-2019, 03:12 AM
Objection!

Probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The blog post linked earlier
Really Short Term

We already have the first post-launch patch submitted and going through approval, this patch brings with it a number of bug fixes and other small improvements that we weren’t able to fix in time for release.

Fix bug that caused online multiplayer maps against AI to sometimes go into a broken state.
Fix bug that caused spectating online on Fog of War maps to not work correctly.
Fix bug that caused issues around resigning on matches.
Fix the display of some Japanese and Chinese characters.

Short Term

We’re working on a number of quality of life fixes and hope to get them to you asap. It takes a little while to submit a patch on console, but we’ll try to get things done as quickly as possible.

Some of those quality of life improvements will include:

The ability to skip battle scenes more quickly. With various options on how this will work.
The ability to force fast map movement to ‘always on’.
Tooltips and more info for the effective/vulnerable charts.
In multiplayer, the host will be able to fill open spots with CPU players.
Display S rank requirements. (Tip for now, it’s always based on number of turns.)
Make it more difficult to accidentally end a turn.
Multiplayer Lobby improvements
Various bug fixes
Along side this, the Japanese e-shop version of the game is not far away!

Modding is also coming soon and of course a PS4 version of the game is in the works.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:49 AM
The Hyblid Framer

Quote:
Ah, right, I forgot about that stuff. I guess I don't miss it!
It's definitely not the end of the world or anything... and it's probably more balanced this way. But I like how those differences encourage different playstyles.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I'm think I'm near the end of Act 3 (just communed with the dead king), and one thing that has surprised me is that I've not had a battle with multiple COs. Is that ever going to be a thing? I figured that was half the point in having Groove abilities be tied to units, and I clearly have an adventuring party, but it's still just one CO per battle.
Spoiler, although I'm probably the only person here who would consider it be such: Yes. The final battle of Act 3, in fact. It was a fun mission! I hope there'll be more going forward.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:07 AM

Default Taking any excuse to re-post this image

This is the first mission where the ranking system felt directly at odds with how I was inclined to play. My good boy Caesar would absolutely have take the time to liberate those last two villages near the objective, but the turn timer waits for no man or dog.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:35 PM
Mystery Contraption

Can’t link on phone, but the update, in addition to making the vulnerability chart much clearer, will also allow mid-battle checkpoint saves and multiple easier difficulties (in addition to the Custom Sliders). Also you can play with AI opponents in multiplayer.

Also they’re tweaking the mechanics of Fog of War maps and making other assorted bug fixes and the like. But those aren’t nearly as enticing.

No release date for the update yet, but they plainly listened to fans!
Old 02-18-2019, 10:09 PM
jiggery-pokery

I'm digging this. I think I'm in act 2? Just unlocked the trebuchets.

It's different enough from Advance Wars that I'm having to tweak my strategy slightly. So far I haven't seen any maps with more than one garrison for deploying troops, and you can't combine weakened units, so infantry spam isn't as viable. The "groove" powers aren't as powerful or wide ranging as CO powers in AW, but the commanders are pretty strong on the field. I'm actually kind of glad the other commanders don't have longer long-range weapons and super powerful knights and stuff, sometimes that got pretty cheap in AW.

The one thing I'm not a big fan of is fighting to take over villages/cities. It damages your units, and just slows the whole process down.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:48 PM

I finished the campaign today. Loved it from start to finish, although the final Caesar battle felt like a difficulty spike. The final battle was really fun and a real high point. I S-ranked it first try, but it was was super stressful and I was constantly worried I was about to lose a hero and fail. One thing it really illustrated for me is that (spoilers for who participates in the final battle) Ragna's and Mercia's grooves are just flat out better than everyone else's. Well, among the heroes in that final mission anyway. Sigrid and (major spoiler) Elodie also have very powerful grooves, though.

I'm a bit bummed that I wasn't able to watch the ending right away. I ended with 96 of a necessary 100 stars, even though I'd 3-starred every campaign mission, so I guess it's designed around playing some of the Puzzle or Arcade modes. Getting 3 stars felt like it got a lot easier as the game went on and I got used to they style of play that was required. I absolutely destroyed most of the last two Acts, and didn't have to replay a single mission for star ranking that I can recall after Act 3. All told, I S-ranked all of Act 6/7 first try, and I think only have about... maybe 4 A-ranks stinking up the trail behind me. I'm tempted to go back now and clean those up, which I suspect would be easy at this point, but I don't think I can be bothered.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I'm a bit bummed that I wasn't able to watch the ending right away. I ended with 96 of a necessary 100 stars, even though I'd 3-starred every campaign mission, so I guess it's designed around playing some of the Puzzle or Arcade modes.
As it turns out, the Puzzle mode is really fun, so this is A-okay! I ended up burning through about half of the 25 puzzles available in a couple of hours, and I'll likely go back and do the rest at some point. Imagine my surprise when I loaded up my campaign save and there's actually another entire battle! Guess I'm not done yet after all!
Old 02-21-2019, 07:50 PM

For a game that everyone seemed excited about, folks seem to have fallen off of it awfully quickly. This is one of the few new game purchases I made this year, so I thought I'd be able to be part of the conversation for once, but then that conversation immediately died.

Anyway, I'm still having a grand time, and I keep finding more content to mine! The extra unlockable final battle was also aces, as was the extended ending and adorable credits dancing montage. Oh, and yet another secret unlockable CO.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:28 PM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Quote:
For a game that everyone seemed excited about, folks seem to have fallen off of it awfully quickly. This is one of the few new game purchases I made this year, so I thought I'd be able to be part of the conversation for once, but then that conversation immediately died.
I was very excited for it but thought it was a huge letdown. The recent patch (and future patch plans) make me sort of hopeful that I might like it someday but I had an awful time actually playing it.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:19 AM
Outraged!

I picked it up a few days ago and have been plugging away.

I lost interest with advance wars pretty quickly, hopefully this one will keep my attention better. I think it’s the disposable nature of the units that gets me as I very much enjoyed both Fire Emblems I played. I needs to sees those numbers go up, I guess.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
I think it’s the disposable nature of the units that gets me
FWIW, there are some battles (maybe... 1/5 of the overall campaign?) where you're tasked with winning a battle with a finite supply of units and no production buildings, in which case your units are very much not disposable (you eventually unlock three different ways to heal units), and those are some of my favourites. Not to mention a late battle where your team consists of only COs.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:22 AM
Outraged!

Cool. The first one with Ceaser as the CO was like that and probably my favorite so far.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:43 AM
100% All Original

Quote:
Not to mention a late battle where your team consists of only COs.
Yeah, I'm on that battle now and it is straight garbage. The only question is whether I'm going to google how to beat it or just give up, because it's stupid and terrible.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:13 PM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

Yeah, so far it kinda feels like a bit more of a slog than Advanced Wars ever did. Not being able to combine damaged units also stings.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinforcements View Post
Yeah, I'm on that battle now and it is straight garbage. The only question is whether I'm going to google how to beat it or just give up, because it's stupid and terrible.
Loved it. My favourite battle in the game, bar none. S-ranked it first try. You just need to carefully plan when to use everyone's powers, most importantly Mercia and Ragna. Also, make sure that (major spoilers for a late, fun mechanic) anyone with a bad CO power that you can't outrun is in range when the bad thing happens, because I found that they'll usually prefer to attack over using the power when possible. Most of them aren't too bad other than Ragna, though. Just be careful once you cycle through everyone, because after that the game stops telegraphing who will be taken next, although that will stop once you engage the enemy CO, so just keep pushing (I only had one repeat target before I engaged).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Yeah, so far it kinda feels like a bit more of a slog than Advanced Wars ever did. Not being able to combine damaged units also stings.
You can heal them instead!

And honestly, I feel like it's much less of a slog than Advance Wars. I'm finished with the game now, and nothing compared to the big combined battles at the end of the first 3 AW games. Wargroove feels positively light and breezy compared to those campaigns.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:53 AM

So that patch ya'll have been waiting for apparently goes live today:

Checkpoint system:
  • While playing in campaign mode, you can set a checkpoint in a mission
  • If you are defeated, you can retry from the checkpoint
  • You can set a checkpoint whenever you want, but you can only have one active at a time (the previous gets overwritten)
Difficulty system overhaul:
  • Five difficulty presets, Story, Easy, Medium, Hard (Default) and Custom
  • Hard difficulty is the default, and is the standard rules of the game. It’s the only mode where you can obtain S-ranks
  • Medium difficulty is a bit easier and still lets you obtain up to 3 stars
  • Easy limits you at 2 stars
  • Story limits you at 1 star, and is VERY easy
General Quality of Life
  • The effectiveness chart on unit info and recruit screens has been reworked to be far more readable and informative
  • Skipping battles, captures and cutscenes is now much faster
  • Display the S rank requirements on the overview screen for a mission
  • “Exit” has been renamed to “Suspend” to avoid confusion
  • You can now see teams on the Overview screen
  • Fix international text input on Switch
  • Display the Controller Select Applet on Switch less often
  • Add Korean font
  • Resigning will now destroy all units simultaneously instead of one at a time
New options:
  • Add “Movement Speed” option that allow you to set all units to move faster
  • Add “Confirm End Turn” option to avoid accidental end of turn
  • Add “Damage Range” option to display minimum and maximum damage on previews, instead of average damage
Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 AM
Funko Superfan

Just in time for my vacation! Perfect!
Old 03-06-2019, 08:40 AM
Mystery Contraption

And it’s a nice little gift to make up for the fact that mine is almost over!

Tags
a very good boy , advance the dogs of war , advance wars , strategy games , wargroove