The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-02-2019, 03:19 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Pronouns: He / Him

(Cross posting from a post I wrote on Facebook like, 45 minutes ago.)

1994 was a hell of a year for fighting games...and many amazing franchises are hitting their 25th Anniversary this year!

July 5, 1994 gave us Capcom's crazy monster mashup fighting game franchise, Vampire / Darkstalkers!

August 25, 1994 gave us SNK's team-based fighting game celebration of it's very own franchises, coming together to prove which one is the strongest, The King of Fighters 1994!

October 28, 1994 gave us the convoluted combo spectacle that put C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER into everyone's vocabulary, supposedly appearing on Nintendo's "Ultra 64" but nah...Killer Instinct!

December 8, 1994 gave us the beginning of Capcom's interpretation of Superhero fisticuff frenzies and aerial raves with X-Men: Children of the Atom, and without that, there'd be no MANGO SENTINEL! This is where it all started!

December 9, 1994 gave us the textbook example of a dysfunctional family not being able to talk out their problems like "normal people", but the Mishima family doesn't really seem to want it any other way! Namco graced us with the franchise that, in my honest opinion, has consistently the absolute BEST MUSIC IN ALL OF FIGHTING GAMES PERIOD, Tekken: The King of Iron Fist Tournament!

Are the memories flooding into your head? Good. Let's discuss them!
Old 01-02-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
(Cross posting from a post I wrote on Facebook like, 45 minutes ago.)

July 5, 1994 gave us Capcom's crazy monster mashup fighting game franchise, Vampire / Darkstalkers!

Are the memories flooding into your head? Good. Let's discuss them!
Where do I even start with this game. It was the first game I ever played in the arcade. As a kid fascinated with horror movie monsters, and Capcom's incredible artwork used for this game. IT quickly burned memories into my head. Even now I can hear Jedah's theme in my head, and various remixes of said song. However the first song I ever heard in full was this, blaring out and drawing me to the cabinet.

But not to be done there, let's talk about the attract mode.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:48 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
Where do I even start with this game. It was the first game I ever played in the arcade. As a kid fascinated with horror movie monsters, and Capcom's incredible artwork used for this game. IT quickly burned memories into my head. Even now I can hear Jedah's theme in my head, and various remixes of said song.
So, your introduction was the sequel?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
So, your introduction was the sequel?
Yeah! It was always hard to tell, but Talbain theme never really changed, but that's what I remember seeing more than anything else at the movie theater. IT wasn't until years later and I found my way to GGPO that I learned about V-Savior and I've been pretty much non stop playing since. I wish my PS3 didn't die and I could pick up the compilation again.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:48 AM
Back to the Bear

NightWarriors was my favorite of the three games. Darkstalkers looked great but had some kinks to work out of its gameplay. Vampire Savior changed TOO much and had a more threatening tone that felt a bit off, what with the Grim (Burton) Reaper and the Little Red Bleed 'em Good and all. NW found a comfortable middle ground, and retained the whimsy from the first game. It had better stage designs than Vampire Savior, too.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:33 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
NightWarriors was my favorite of the three games. Darkstalkers looked great but had some kinks to work out of its gameplay. Vampire Savior changed TOO much and had a more threatening tone that felt a bit off, what with the Grim (Burton) Reaper and the Little Red Bleed 'em Good and all. NW found a comfortable middle ground, and retained the whimsy from the first game. It had better stage designs than Vampire Savior, too.
Vamp Sav had that stage where you are fighting on the side of a building though. Awesome.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:40 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Started Dragonball FighterZ over the weekend. Playing story mode before entering the merciless world of facing online players who know what they are doing. It's interesting to play a fighting games where most of the moves have the same button maps. I thought they all did at first, but then I found Yamcha's combo-centric set-up, which is interesting (also, I think I really dig Yamcha in this game, though his "making space" style takes some getting used to).

Also, the game just comes right out and says that Piccolo is the superior grandpa, so this is a game made by people who know the franchise.

One thing I will say is that, for the most part, I haven't heard much Dragonball in it's original language. So I was surprised after hearing a gruff sounding English dub that Piccolo sounds kind of... young? Not as young as Krillin and Goku, who's voices apparently never cracked during puberty, but still, younger than I would have expected.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

WRT Tekken 7:
Lili's df+3 while crouching is really hard to execute smoothly from standing
which is
fair, i guess

Tekken's execution in general is really bizarre to me. The execution window is SUPER TIGHT but also SUPER EARLY. There's a bit of a disconnect between my inputs and my character's actions because they're so far apart. Like, Lili's BT 4,3 is a four hit double-backflip deal, and none of the hits connect before the entire input is finished. BUT all that goes out the window if there's another directional input, like anything Lili can cancel into Dew Glide.

Tekken is weeeeeeeird

Last edited by LancerECNM; 01-23-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:10 PM

Tekken's always had a weird feel for F.C. (from crouch) moves, I mained Anna in T5-6 and nearly all her best openings were FC, I usually would end up throwing out a short jab like with LP or something and hold down to enter a crouch right after.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:00 PM
The Great

Someone pulled the trigger on the DBFZ Season 2 DLC video a bit early:

Jiren, Videl, Canon Broly, Blue Gogeta, ??, ??

Videl is cool, but it's definitely unfortunate that 2/3 of the playable women summon a man (Who are full playable characters on their own) for help as their gimmick.

I'm guessing Kefla for one of the unrevealed characters based on popularity and being one of the few female fighters in the series. UI Goku is probably the obvious choice for the other one, but someone like Dabura or Janemba or Toppo would be more interesting.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:49 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

When I saw this thread bumped, I thought it was a post about Balrog's Guts Man skin in Street Fighter V.

Oh, by the way, Balrog has a Guts Man skin in Street Fighter V and with no knowledge of how fight money works I'm assuming it's gonna be a pain in the ass to actually get it.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:58 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
When I saw this thread bumped, I thought it was a post about Balrog's Guts Man skin in Street Fighter V.

Oh, by the way, Balrog has a Guts Man skin in Street Fighter V and with no knowledge of how fight money works I'm assuming it's gonna be a pain in the ass to actually get it.
Yes, because you're gonna have to keep up with it for 4 weeks.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:02 PM
I'm kind of over memes.

DBFZ will forever be incomplete until Mr Satan is playable.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:41 PM
Vigilante All-Star

EVO 2019 game lineup:

- Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition
- Mortal Kombat 11
- Dragon Ball Fighter Z
- BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Tekken 7
- Samurai Shodown 2019
- Soul Calibur VI
- Under Night In-Birth EXE:Late[st]
Old 02-26-2019, 07:56 PM
Awoken Amaterasu Ohkami

Don’t play but so glad Melee is gone and happy that Unist is a main game. One of my favorites to watch.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:43 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Thank God

THANK GOD

SCVI made it in, UNIST is there, SamSho is there?!

And Melee is finally, F I N A L L Y dead. Thank GAWD
Old 02-26-2019, 09:27 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Oh man, I should try to catch the Tekken 7 bits. Also DBFZ. I wish it was Guilty Gear instead, but I'm just happy to see non-Persona-y Arc System Works in there.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:53 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

If, like me, you were interested in playing DoA6, but we’re waiting for a price drop, good news, it’s gone Free to Play absurdly quickly; there’s a Core Fighter edition out already, 4 characters and a few modes are available with everything else being available via DLC.

Since there’s only, like, four characters in the series I enjoy playing, this is quite the thrifty alternative!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:24 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Wow that's crazy, literally crazy. That's even faster than Anthem's collapse....Dear Lord...
Old 03-15-2019, 12:54 PM
Are You Sure About That?

I think the four digit dollar total of DLC available at launch stuck in a lot of people's craws.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:00 PM
Mystery Contraption

5 had four digit DLC by its end, 6 merely (“merely”) has a $90 season pass so far. A miserly sum.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:04 PM
Eelection 2019 Info

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Well, I mean, nothing says "we have faith in the quality of our product" like hiring a few models to, uh, jiggle
Old 03-15-2019, 01:26 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
If, like me, you were interested in playing DoA6, but we’re waiting for a price drop, good news, it’s gone Free to Play absurdly quickly; there’s a Core Fighter edition out already, 4 characters and a few modes are available with everything else being available via DLC.

Since there’s only, like, four characters in the series I enjoy playing, this is quite the thrifty alternative!
It was designed to be a free to play and the paid version was an afterthought judging by literally everything about the costume unlock process.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:33 PM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

Quote:

Huh, if Helena is in the four I actually may play one of these for the first time since... I want to say 3 on the X-Box?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:38 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Huh, if Helena is in the four I actually may play one of these for the first time since... I want to say 3 on the X-Box?
If I had to throw a wild guess at the 4 I'd say probably Kasumi / Ayane / Tina / Hayabusa?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:38 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Kasumi, Hitomi, Diego and Bass are the four starters
Old 03-15-2019, 01:44 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
5 had four digit DLC by its end, 6 merely (“merely”) has a $90 season pass so far. A miserly sum.
Somebody laid out their planned DLC releases for the current "season" or whatever, and it hits four digits.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:45 PM
Mystery Contraption

Welp, comment retracted then
Old 03-15-2019, 01:48 PM
Are You Sure About That?

I mean, I wasn't exactly correct either so it's all good.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:54 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Oh my GOSHHHHHHHHHHH

Tags
#yolo , ark system works , at ease losah , capcom , capcom killed my family , cheep cheep is cheap , coffee hates casuals , dizzy stay out , down-right fierce , fighting games , fuck conveyance , i'd like some pancakes , im getting motivated , no gurls allowed , projectiles are cheap , respect my footsies , scrubbing bubbles , shoutouts to shoutouts , shoutouts to tags , teleporting is cheap , throwing is cheap , tires don't exits , what about mega man? , with the greatest of ease , yolo