The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-12-2019, 01:33 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He
Default Digital Down-Low for 03/14/2019: Playing Catch-up!

We all either die hoping we're going to be Hey Arnold, or grow up to see us become Doug.

Not very much out this week, my vacation coincided with a number of higher-tier releases, or at least lower-tier releases aimed squarely at the Talking Time heart-zone. In brief, they included the likes of Dead or Alive 6 (which, unsurprisingly, did not make good on its "This time it's not horny!" promise by making all the horny unlockable), Devil May Cry 5 (which I am bitter about because it supplants the sublime DmC) Left Alive (the MGS/Front Mission mash-up that nobody ever considered asking for, Toejam & Earl: Back in the Groove (the long awaited fourth, or perhaps fifth, TJ&E game, and I never quite grasped these games, so I have no idea how excited by that prospect I should be), Anodyne (daring to ask the question of "what is Links Awakening was more pretentious and apparently starred Andy Warhol) and Deltarune (the possible Prequel to everyones favorite indie RPG, Undertale). NOT A BAD HAUL INDEED!

And as for this week, as noted, not a LOT, and what's there doesn't really set my heart a flame, but PS4 got The Division 2, and lord knows these small time indie-games from garage developers like Ubisoft need all the help advertising their games that I can give!

I think it's a looter-shooter, like your Bordersland and your Destinys and that other one and not a heck of a lot else.

Speaking of shooters, there's also RICO! A buddy-cop themed Roguelite FPS with cel-shaded graphics where you're one of several Police Pals who just want more than anything, to explode the crap out of La Casa Nostra. Just wander into peoples homes and make some real mafia sauce out of everyone you see inside.

And also we've got Caligula Effect: Overdose, which I infer to be a remake of a game I didn't play before! And which I further infer to be "Persona, Except..." where the "Except..." means "Less homophobic".

I mean, it would have to be.

Also up is another totally forgotten Data East arcade game from Johnny Turbo; Joe & Mac Returns! I didn't even know there was a second Joe & Mac arcade game! This one appears to be a single-screen Murd-em-up (like Bubble Bobble or, if I'm reading the screens correctly, Snow Bros). So I will give Johnny T credit for bringing me something honestly interesting this week.

Golf Peaks looks to be a delightful puzz-em-up that seems to be the middle-ground between Kirbys Dream Course if instead of being inexplicably difficult, it was super-chill and had Monument Valley-ish level design.

The Red Strings Club is a point & clicky cybernoir adventure game where you're a bartender using booze and BRAINHACKS to bring down a faceless megacorps in the dark future of tomorrow! Read Only Memories, except side-scrolling.

And presumably with a less-than-100% gay cast

And finally, speaking of throwbacks to the games of yesteryear, we've got us Turok: Dinosaur Hunter! Like, the original N64 game, but REMIXED AND REBUILT FOR THE LATE TWENTY-TEENS! The games got a draw distance of MILES now! And presumably dual analog controls!

But the dinosaurs remain just as huntable as ever!

Okay, that's what I can write about in the present-day of Tuesday afternoon! Who know what Thursday Itself will reveal to me!
Old 03-12-2019, 02:11 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Hooray for the thread!

I know a couple people here picked up ToeJam and Earl. Iím still waffling on it. Any verdicts?
Old 03-13-2019, 06:46 AM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

Elevator Action is this week's Arcade Archive for Switch.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:55 PM
Mystery Contraption

There IS some more stuff that I didn't know about when I made this thread! How's about that, folks?

Also, Frinkiac seems to be weirding up on me even though there are perfect Simpsons gifs I want to use for these.

First up alphabetically (and therefor most important of all) is Apocryph: An Old School Shooter (yes, that is the title), and it's well named as this appears to be a game based around you running into big empty arenas and shooting monsters in the first person perspective. Or at least running backwards and circle-strafing monsters from a first person perspective. Has a kind of Serious Sam-ish vibe, except all grim and gritty and whatnot.

Second up alphabetically, and legitimately most importantly, is Baba is You, a Lolo-inspired puzzle game where instead of pushing blocks, you're pushing around verbs, changing the rules of how the game works in order to guide a little... varmint of some sort, to the goal post of each stage. It looks SUPER neat and I want to play it NOW! Instead of "In, like, ten minutes, when I finish writing this post".

The third letter I'm concerning myself with for this update is "D"! And that stands for Dusty Raging Fist! Which is a 2d beating-them-up starring funny talkin' varmints. Like Brutal: Paws of Vengeance!

That can't be the only other furry-themed fighting game, can it?

There's got to be at least one more...

Anyway... this is that.

And finally, we've got this months update to NESFlix, which makes me go "Oh. OH! OKAY!!!" Our new games this month are Angel Homicide Simulator Kid Icarus, and Weird Caribbean Zelda Star Tropics. And that'd be fine on its own, but we also got 2 SP releases that exist just as great time savers; Kirbys Adventure SP starts off immediately into the Extra Game, the hard mode only accessible after you beat the game once, and Zelda II SP, which starts off at the very start of the game at the highest possible experience level.

I pity whatever poor intern drew the short straw to set up that one.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:32 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

To clarify, what was released was Deltarune Chapter 1. It's free, and good! It was on PC last Halloween.

The full game isn't finished yet. When it is finally released (which will be in an unknown number of years, for $money), it will have multiple chapters, including a revamped chapter 1. The chapter we have now was released not only to generate buzz but also to gather feedback.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:59 PM
Eelection 2019 Info

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post

Primal Rage? Killer Instinct? Sonic Battle? The TMNT fighting games? Pokken?

Is this a joke about how people of good-natured sensibility should ignore the existence of Them's Fightin' Herds?
Old 03-14-2019, 05:01 PM
Mystery Contraption

Nope, legit could not think of a third example. Which is weird in retrospect because I legit love the Bloody Roar series.

Also, while it contains a dinosaur and wirrwelf, donít think Killer Instinct really counts.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:56 AM
Minnesota Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Hooray for the thread!

I know a couple people here picked up ToeJam and Earl. Iím still waffling on it. Any verdicts?
It's much like the original game with some elements from the second, like the hyperfunk zone and shaking trees for presents. It is jammin'.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:54 AM
graffiti programmer

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
The third letter I'm concerning myself with for this update is "D"! And that stands for Dusty Raging Fist! Which is a 2d beating-them-up starring funny talkin' varmints. Like Brutal: Paws of Vengeance!

Maybe Revengers of Vengeance?

Tags
digital downloads , octo does not do research