The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-15-2017, 03:20 PM
Sudden chomper

I finished Pyre last night. Much like Transistor, I can't say that I loved the game, but I also feel like it will probably stay with my in a way that most games don't. It has such a distinct look and world, combined with the relatively unique gameplay of the rites, that it'll be hard to forget. That said, I wasn't enthralled by the moment-to-moment of actually playing it. The story took some interesting turns, which kept me on the hook (even if the time between beats was occasionally a little long). I didn't feel 100% satisfied with the ending, if only because it seemed like one of the major promises that you were made wasn't fulfilled. Volfred said that changing the Commonwealth was the only way that the Reader could regain their freedom, but even though the revolution was successful, apparently there's no way to get back from the Downside? Except that goods can be traded back and forth somehow? I don't know, it didn't feel 100% watertight as stories go.

Great music, though. I bought the soundtrack today and have been listening to it regularly for the last few weeks (through the magic of streaming).
Old 09-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+. 1001%. I'm ready to walk away. Goodbyesaac.
I walked away when the 3DS version never got updated. OH WELL!
Old 09-16-2017, 03:10 PM
It's all good, man

Prey's endgame really drags out because it makes you run all over a space station with frequent slow loading zones. Otherwise, it's a great immersive sim.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Half-Ninja

Today is the day, nearly 20 years after its release, that I finally beat StarCraft and Brood War without cheating.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:07 AM
Fifth Business

I beat Zangyou Mode in Kero Blaster.

Maybe the best 'hard mode' ever in a game, since it basically is a completely new game. So many fun and occasionally hilarious remixes of stage themes and bosses, with an all-new last level and final boss (which is mostly fantastic, even if it unfortunately ends on the weakest portion; the final form feels kinda messy, and for some reason looks weirdly cheesy and unprofessional, like something outta a romhack, compared to the earlier phases of the battle having a great look and atmosphere to 'em)

Probably gonna take a break before doing the next mode (dipping my toe into it, it's clever, but not quite as engaging as the previous modes to me), just like I took a break between the normal mode and Zangyou, but Kero Blaster really is probably somewhere on my list of all-time favorites. It is simply so, so good.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:36 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Today is the day, nearly 20 years after its release, that I finally beat StarCraft and Brood War without cheating.
Pretty sure I've never done this, and Starcraft was basically the only thing I was playing back in 1999-2000.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:57 PM
mellow dramatic

Quote:
Congrats. I've been playing my way through the campaigns and Brood War starts to feel mildly unfair about halfway through... and then horribly unfair later in the Zerg campaign.

"I started with a Hatchery and a six pack of Zerglings, they started with three full bases and a fleet of upgraded Battlecruisers... is it still cheating if they did it first?"
Old 09-19-2017, 09:02 PM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThricebornPhoenix View Post
Congrats. I've been playing my way through the campaigns and Brood War starts to feel mildly unfair about halfway through... and then horribly unfair later in the Zerg campaign.

"I started with a Hatchery and a six pack of Zerglings, they started with three full bases and a fleet of upgraded Battlecruisers... is it still cheating if they did it first?"
I made a lot of discoveries about Zerg units in the last 3 missions of Brood War. Mission 8 really tore me apart so much that I had to take a week long break before I managed to beat it by the skin of my teeth. But in the process, I learned that Guardians > Ultralisks (and 50 minerals cheaper), use Nydus canals to connect all your bases so that you're not scrambling to defend them all, do not underestimate spore/creep colonies, and Devourers + Hydralisks or Mutalisks tear apart flying units. I also tended to build 2-3 Evolution Chambers and 2 Spires so that I could research things faster, and found places to build extra bases ASAP. The final mission in Brood War I didn't find too difficult, but I think it took me about 3 hours to finish over the course of 2 days, not counting all my reloading save files when things went poorly.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:55 PM

I won't say Rambo for NES is a good game, but it's better than its reputation and a pretty weird game to boot. And it feels oddly ambitious for a licensed game, even if it is pretty rough.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:06 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I won't say Rambo for NES is a good game, but it's better than its reputation and a pretty weird game to boot. And it feels oddly ambitious for a licensed game, even if it is pretty rough.
Hit 'im with ANGER and turn 'im into a frog...
Old 09-20-2017, 08:49 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
REND THE FEELING THE HEAT WITH PAINFUL FEELINGS

Pack-in-Video sure did make some weird shit.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:07 AM
mellow dramatic

Quote:
I made a lot of discoveries about Zerg units in the last 3 missions of Brood War.
My problems, I think, are more along the lines of speed and aggressiveness. I tend to focus too much on defenses, economy, and upgrades before raising a substantial army. Alas, I'm too old to be fast and too set in my ways to really change my play style.

I suppose I could turn down the speed, but that's a poor substitute for actual difficulty settings.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
I beat Zangyou Mode in Kero Blaster.

Maybe the best 'hard mode' ever in a game, since it basically is a completely new game. So many fun and occasionally hilarious remixes of stage themes and bosses, with an all-new last level and final boss (which is mostly fantastic, even if it unfortunately ends on the weakest portion; the final form feels kinda messy, and for some reason looks weirdly cheesy and unprofessional, like something outta a romhack, compared to the earlier phases of the battle having a great look and atmosphere to 'em)

Probably gonna take a break before doing the next mode (dipping my toe into it, it's clever, but not quite as engaging as the previous modes to me), just like I took a break between the normal mode and Zangyou, but Kero Blaster really is probably somewhere on my list of all-time favorites. It is simply so, so good.
Zangyou is so good. It took me a really long time to beat it the first time, but I came back to it a few weeks back and finished in like 2 hours instead of 6. To me, that's the mark of a game that is difficult, but fair. I'm much better at making the tricky jumps in the Hekichi Plateau and I've figured out most of the boss attacks in Destination, so the whole thing got easier because I got better. It's a good feeling!

Omake mode is a fun little distraction, but it only really has two new elements: the Kuro Blaster (and its associated glitch stages) and a sort of boss rush at the end. It's kind of fun to stomp all over the regular stages with your maxed out weaponry, but it's a minor diversion compared to the big hearty meal that is Zangyou.

Quote:
I made a lot of discoveries about Zerg units in the last 3 missions of Brood War.
In my memories, the Hydralisk is so overpowered in Brood War that it can almost completely carry you until you make a bunch of Guardians (those are the giant flying crabs, right?). Much like with the Protoss and their Carriers, you can just build up a group of 12 Guardians, defend them with some Hydralisks and stomp all over the CPU. I actually found it got a little boring, because in the last few maps basically the entire area is covered with enemy buildings, so you kind of zamboni of the whole map with your fleet of Guardians and it's more long than difficult. Surviving long enough to build your death fleet is tricky, mind you!
Old 09-20-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
REND THE FEELING THE HEAT WITH PAINFUL FEELINGS

Pack-in-Video sure did make some weird shit.
Yes, yes they did. (It's also pretty obvious they were copying Zelda II pretty closely with this one.)

EDIT: I finally own a legit copy of Return of Double Dragon. It's one of my favorite SNES brawlers. I really miss that style of beat-'em-up, something more complex than Final Fight and its ilk.

There are some differences between this release and Super Double Dragon, the latter of which got pushed out the door a bit before it was completely finished. Both are still really good, though.

Last edited by Sarge; 09-21-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:03 PM
This Guy

I beat Persona 5 more than an hour ago, but the game still hasn't ended. It's got a bad case of Return of the King ending syndrome.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:51 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Beat Tales of Destiny! As far as Tales games go, the plot was pretty good. The lack of voice acting almost certainly helped. The combat is a lot more simple than most Tales games, but you get so much TP by, like, 10 hours in that you can basically spam skills forever. The game's also really easy. No enemy in the game can deal with having pressure applied to them. Like, Attack -> Dragon Slash -> Assassin will stunlock the final bosses regardless of what the rest of your party is doing.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Beat Tales of Destiny! As far as Tales games go, the plot was pretty good. The lack of voice acting almost certainly helped. The combat is a lot more simple than most Tales games, but you get so much TP by, like, 10 hours in that you can basically spam skills forever. The game's also really easy. No enemy in the game can deal with having pressure applied to them. Like, Attack -> Dragon Slash -> Assassin will stunlock the final bosses regardless of what the rest of your party is doing.
Been a long time since I played through that one. I bought my copy in a Kroger, of all places.

Anyway, I've been on an NES kick, as usual. I've finished up all three Wizards & Warriors games, The Jetsons, the first Flintstones game, and the pile of garbage (but could have been decent!) Wolverine game.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Been a long time since I played through that one. I bought my copy in a Kroger, of all places.

Anyway, I've been on an NES kick, as usual. I've finished up all three Wizards & Warriors games, The Jetsons, the first Flintstones game, and the pile of garbage (but could have been decent!) Wolverine game.
That shitty Wolverine game has great music, though. Why were the Follin's wasted on bad games? I don't understand!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 PM

I know, right? So many great tunes paired with cruddy games. His work on Silver Surfer was amazing, for one. At least Solstice was good.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:11 PM
Video Monster

Plok is pretty good too, though not a NES game.

And some of his best stuff didn't even get released!

I was gonna say congrats on having the patients for getting through crappy licensed NES games, but looking them up, I see Flintstones was a Taito release and Jetsons was developed by Natsume, whaaa...are they any good?
Old 09-25-2017, 11:16 PM
Video Monster

Oh, also, I finished up Blaster Master Zero for reals this time.

Thanks to Sarge and Octo for prompting me to get the 100% ending. Yeah, I would have really cheated myself if I hadn't gone back for that!

I feel a lot better about the game now, incidentally. I might try the hard mode at some point, but for now I'm good to move on to other stuff.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:47 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Plok is pretty good too, though not a NES game.

And some of his best stuff didn't even get released!

I was gonna say congrats on having the patients for getting through crappy licensed NES games, but looking them up, I see Flintstones was a Taito release and Jetsons was developed by Natsume, whaaa...are they any good?
Wow, that's a really good track...
Old 09-26-2017, 05:41 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
I feel a lot better about the game now, incidentally. I might try the hard mode at some point, but for now I'm good to move on to other stuff.
You probably shouldn't bother; it's not the fun kind of hard mode. DLC characters are pretty fun, though not as much-so as Jason is.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:33 AM

Heh, that track is one of my noms in the current thunderdome.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:04 AM
Spear of Justice

Finished my 100% playthrough of Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus last night. Its platforming is so dang polished with a difficulty curve that feels just right, which mostly makes up for the not-so-fun minigames. The brevity is also appreciated because I've definitely lost my appetite for overlong platformers.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:58 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
Finished my 100% playthrough of Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus last night. Its platforming is so dang polished with a difficulty curve that feels just right, which mostly makes up for the not-so-fun minigames. The brevity is also appreciated because I've definitely lost my appetite for overlong platformers.
That's such a great game. I still need to finish the sequel(s)
Old 09-27-2017, 12:17 AM
BAG

Sly 1 is a great game. But if you want to try the sequels, you should know they are extremely different.

I have so much griping...
Old 09-27-2017, 03:50 AM
Chief Servbot

Luigi's Mansion is a fun little take by Nintendo on the Resident Evil style survival horror. Controls are a bit clunky, but it's not exactly a high-dexterity game. Should probably try the sequel now that I have a 3DS.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:54 AM
It's all good, man

The Sly Cooper sequels are definitely different, and if what you love about the first game is its brevity, you'll be disappointed. But I think they're awesome. They're a series of heists starring cartoon animals. Complete with slide show planning phase.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:17 AM

Sly 2 is amazing, even if it is a bit different. The third is disappointing, and the fourth is mostly a return to form.

Tags
a winner is you , backloggery , beat it , completed games , congraturation , fear of new threads , go and rest our heroes , hoooooraaayyy for you! , i've wasted my life , true end , victory cry , you feel strongth welling , you got the touch , you're the best around , you're winner